Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hedge Funds are lobbying to still billions of taxpayer money through Fannie & Freddy

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/17/5724092/the-plot-to-use-fannie-mae-and-freddie-mac-to-steal-billions-from-the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeedy Jay posted:

"False flag!":freep:
It is honestly kind of concerning, in a way, how there is just this huge, abundantly-welcomed precedent towards declaring anything you don't like or don't believe in to be a put-on by the government. It is essentially immune to disproof to the extent that you are willing to repeat it, because just about any piece of evidence can be explained as another layer of the lie.

And of course on some topics (guns, the UN one-world antichrist agenda) there isn't even the "OK, you've established the most complex conspiracy, not just in human history, but to the point of encompassing the majority of the nation's population" Occam's razor limitations. Of COURSE they'd stop at nothing to take your guns/Bibles/etc.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://theweek.com/article/index/261426/irsquom-not-a-democrat-irsquom-an-anti-republican

Decent little editorial I think most posters here would agree with

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Miltank posted:

John McCain was refused life saving medical care until it was known that he was the son of an admiral. He was given the option to be released early due to his family connections and refused to leave sooner than any man captured before him.

It's perfectly find to say that John McCain is a horrible two faced piece of poo poo that has repeatedly sold his soul for political and financial gain, and that John McCain while a lovely pilot that was only still flying because of his family connections was not a horrible two faced piece of poo poo when he was a POW in Vietnam.

Also, that picture makes him look like Frankenstein's monster more than anything else.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

He still looks less ridiculous than Hillary's hand-wringing twirl response to the thrown shoe.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Yeah, it was posted here earlier this week, but I've been using that term in person for a while now. NC has open primaries, so I've never changed from independent registration. And while I've done footwork on behalf of individual Democratic candidates, I've never bothered with generic party functions aside from yearly precinct mixers to see who's new.

I don't know how much the actual partisans grasp the prevalence of this attitude. Guys at the top must know. My local captains were always like "but you miss out on some democratic party meta-votes" and didn't quite get that I'd leave them in a heartbeat if there were any leftist candidates in the race. "I'm more of an anti-Republican" is more diplomatic than "you guys really aren't that much better about grinding the working class into dust both here and abroad, and the handful of progressive positions you take are poll-tested to hell and back before you bother advocating, thanks for not deliberately trying to destroy the world I guess"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

The monsters didn't go away. They are being quiet to trick you and strike when you don't expect it and let down your guard. :freep:

To be fair I don't think there's been a D&D gun thread that hasn't had a discussion in it somewhere about how incremental increases in restrictions on firearms could be used to eventually arrive at de facto bans (as in people discussing it as a good strategy not fear-mongering about it).

I feel like there could be some decent movement on reasonable gun control measures if it wasn't for the massive level of distrust about the issue, a distrust that is not without merit.

That's not to say "they're coming for your guns" isn't way, way, way overplayed, but rather just because the boy keeps crying wolf doesn't invalidate that there actually is a wolf out there somewhere.

Just like how the "liberals hate the troops" thing is an overplayed smear, but we still have people in this thread who think its okay to laugh at a guy for being crippled from the torture he endured serving his country just because they disagree with his politics.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Every country people normally talk of as "banning guns" actually just has licensing systems in place, and the gun ownership rates are usually not far behind many states in the US. And their policies can generally be considered the maximum possible gun control in a non totalitarian state.

There is no wolf.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Every country people normally talk of as "banning guns" actually just has licensing systems in place, and the gun ownership rates are usually not far behind many states in the US. And their policies can generally be considered the maximum possible gun control in a non totalitarian state.

There is no wolf.

This is just a flat lie

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's believed that when they found out McCain's family connection, and thus value, they took extra care with him because regardless of what info he did or did not have he was going to be rather valuable alive. In 2008 when people thought it'd be McCain vs Hilary there was a lot of huffing(of glue) on the right and Talk Radio about how Clinton had dug up dirt on him to paint him as selling out the country as a POW or whatever. You know, something that certainly would not have a chance at backfiring horribly because holy poo poo are you seriously attacking a political opponent for being tortured by the Viet Cong?

Well yeah the official leftist position as of 1970 was all Vietnam troops are scum plus he is also a Republican.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jarmak posted:

This is just a flat lie

So what countries do you think have full gun bans and wouldn't be characterized as also being dictatorships. Keep in mind that a few US states have gun ownership rates under 15% or even under 10% when considering what I said before!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The nicest thing I heard about gun ownership in Scandinavia is that you have to say what you want the gun for and then join a gun club for that purpose, so they know you're not just a lone nutcase.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samurai Sanders posted:

The nicest thing I heard about gun ownership in Scandinavia is that you have to say what you want the gun for and then join a gun club for that purpose, so they know you're not just a lone nutcase.

That worked in 2011.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just some examples on gun ownership rates:

Rhode Island - 12.8%
Massachusetts - 12.6%
New Jersey - 12.3%
Hawaii - 6.7%

Northern Ireland - 20%
New Zealand - 19%
Australia - 13%
Great Britain - 5%

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
So what would a Strategic Gun look like?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Torpor posted:

Penguin's umbrella?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Torpor posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M65_Atomic_Cannon

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

So what countries do you think have full gun bans and wouldn't be characterized as also being dictatorships. Keep in mind that a few US states have gun ownership rates under 15% or even under 10% when considering what I said before!

You've got this dumb idea that "if you can have a break-action shotgun there is no gun ban." Which makes discussion with you pointless, as difficult as that is to believe.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Torpor posted:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

You've got this dumb idea that "if you can have a break-action shotgun there is no gun ban." Which makes discussion with you pointless, as difficult as that is to believe.

Nice troll but it fails.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

That worked in 2011.
Yeah...I guess absolutely nothing can stop some small number of dedicated crazies from getting through.

I need this to defend myself from muggers. I can't wait until someone jumps out from an alley and I pull THAT out of my holster.

edit: my strategic holster

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 18, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

Nice troll but it fails.

Am I misrepresenting you?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Am I misrepresenting you?

You're claiming that the only guns allowed in those four countries is shotguns, which is laughably obvious as false to everyone here. :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I remember that part in FFVII.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Like maybe I'm going completely out on a limb here, but if parts of one country where everyone agrees there is no gun ban has fewer legal gun owners than countries considered to have massive gun restrictions, wouldn't a sane person regard the latter countries as not having gun bans?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Canada, you can't buy a gun if you say you intend to use it for home defense. Some people keep their "target practice" weapon loaded and under the pillow just in case, but we have a ban on explicitly fantasizing about shooting some burglar.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Fried Chicken posted:

Hedge Funds are lobbying to still billions of taxpayer money through Fannie & Freddy

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/17/5724092/the-plot-to-use-fannie-mae-and-freddie-mac-to-steal-billions-from-the

The good news is despite nothing being done to fix most of the things that caused the housing bubble Boomers are too strained financially and Millennial's are too broke and/or debt ridden to afford houses.....unless Gen Xers suddenly start going on a house buying spree.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Just some examples on gun ownership rates:

Rhode Island - 12.8%
Massachusetts - 12.6%
New Jersey - 12.3%
Hawaii - 6.7%

Northern Ireland - 20%
New Zealand - 19%
Australia - 13%
Great Britain - 5%

Northern Ireland is excluded from the UK gun ban and has more permissive gun laws then Massachusetts, every other country on that list specifically bans carrying firearms or owning firearms for the purposes of personal protection. That is a gun ban regardless of how many hunters out there with break barrel shotguns are driving up the gun ownership stat.

Also Great Britain is the only country with a similar population density to the states you're comparing them against.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jarmak posted:

Northern Ireland is excluded from the UK gun ban and has more permissive gun laws then Massachusetts, every other country on that list specifically bans carrying firearms or owning firearms for the purposes of personal protection. That is a gun ban regardless of how many hunters out there with break barrel shotguns are driving up the gun ownership stat.

Also Great Britain is the only country with a similar population density to the states you're comparing them against.

So why is it so important for you to shout "I'M EXPLICITLY BUYING THIS FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION" when buying a gun?

Also why are you repeating the "omg you can only have shotguns" canard?

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Install Windows posted:

So why is it so important for you to shout "I'M EXPLICITLY BUYING THIS FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION" when buying a gun?

It's because with the exception of RI there are serious obstacles to obtaining anything other than a shotgun or a hunting rifle in every one of the states or countries you listed, ranging from onerous storage and licensing requirements to "you must be rich and connected".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

semper wifi posted:

It's because with the exception of RI there are serious obstacles to obtaining anything other than a shotgun or a hunting rifle in every one of the states or countries you listed, ranging from onerous storage and licensing requirements to "you must be rich and connected".

That's as it should be. You know, it's also rather complicated to buy a house, or get an apartment.

This doesn't make it into a ban though, and the costs are usually much less than the cost of said fancy gun you seem to be humpin' for.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
See, you've just provided the thread with a perfect demonstration of why "gubmint takin my guns" is still a thing. The restrictions you want make owning most guns impossible or at least extremely difficult for anyone who isn't at least upper middle class but you'll still push them as Reasonable Common Sense Gun Laws till you're blue in the face.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Install Windows posted:

That's as it should be. You know, it's also rather complicated to buy a house, or get an apartment.

This doesn't make it into a ban though, and the costs are usually much less than the cost of said fancy gun you seem to be humpin' for.

The government should make sure every citizen has access to suitable (housing/firearms), and provide (housing/firearms) at a basic level to those unable to otherwise afford it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

semper wifi posted:

See, you've just provided the thread with a perfect demonstration of why "gubmint takin my guns" is still a thing. The restrictions you want make owning most guns impossible or at least extremely difficult for anyone who isn't at least upper middle class but you'll still push them as Reasonable Common Sense Gun Laws till you're blue in the face.

But people still manage to own guns with these "impossible restrictions" do our car restrictions make it impossible to own a car? Which restrictions are only doable by the upper middle class, background checks, safety classes?

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

comes along bort posted:

WHY YOU WANT RAIL FOR KALASHNIKOV? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK MECHANICAL WORKS? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH ARMY OF RUSSIA! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, TRADE STORY OF MANY WEAPONS DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING!

OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN WEAPON IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE RUSSIAN RIFLE, THINK IT NEED CRAZY poo poo STICK ON ALL SIDES OF WEAPON. YOU HAVE DISEASE OF AMERICAN CAPITALIST, CHANGE THING THAT IS FINE FOR NO REASON EXCEPT TO LOOK DIFFERENT FROM COMRADE. YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO. MAYBE YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO gently caress YOURSELF IN rear end in a top hat FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU gently caress IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN. GO TO FIRING RANGE, PRACTICE WITH MANY MAGAZINE OF CARTRIDGE. THEN YOU NOT NEED DUMB poo poo PUT ON SIDE OF RIFLE.

This is a thing of beauty.

(American gun culture is retarded, btw).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

semper wifi posted:

See, you've just provided the thread with a perfect demonstration of why "gubmint takin my guns" is still a thing.

Well yeah, I got you gun obsessed people to show you're hyperbolic children who regard 1/8 of the population owning guns as guns being banned.

PS only middle class people are obsessing over having 10 tacticlol guns and 50,000 rounds of ammo in the first place.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

semper wifi posted:

Uh voting is a fundamental human right and owningpurchasing a firearm isn't. That where you were going with this?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a few safeties in place so people that buy guns fully understand and respect the fact that they own a tool designed to kill.

edit: WC strikes again. Either way, gently caress it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 18, 2014

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Aaaaaaaand we're back to gun-chat.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Install Windows posted:

What you're saying is its not an ban because its impossible to keep people from buying a gun illegally by lying on their permit application?

Also how is the shotgun thing isn't a canard just because you label it such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Uh voting is a fundamental human right and owning a firearm isn't. That where you were going with this?

Might want to check the constitution there champ

• Locked thread