Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

And I thought X-23 and Young Scott was the weirdest relationship. And considering how Rogue treats Wanda in Uncanny Avengers, she'd not make a great stepmom.

And now that I've read Schism, I completely agree with Logan.

Beat Scott and Maddie. She is a women who looks just like his dead love. He also ditches her and his son when he heard Jean was back. It ends up that she is a clone of Jean, and the son has to be sent to the future to become Cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Beat Scott and Maddie. She is a women who looks just like his dead love. He also ditches her and his son when he heard Jean was back. It ends up that she is a clone of Jean, and the son has to be sent to the future to become Cable.

I only read classic Xmen up to where Scott meets Maddie, but yea. And then your Son comes back as an old man!

Wolverine doesn't seem so messed up, as he just seems to have one night stands with no attachment.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's because you are not familiar with the character. Married to Mariko Yashida, forever in love with Jean Grey, guilt implanted memories of an Indian girl called Silver Fox, more kids than he can count, etc, etc, etc. If you were reading X-Men during the height of his popularity in the 90's, you had tons of writers trying to make his past even more mysterious and muddled (because people love that stuff right), each one adding weirder things into his mythos -- Larry Hama being the "worst" of the lot. Wolverine was and still is a pretty messed up character.

Most writers obviously just abbreviate Wolverine as 1) claws, 2) beer, 3) healing factor, 4) "bub". You can do that sort of thing with any character, though. Cyclops used to be just 1) eye beams, 2) class representative, 3) has stick up his rear end, 4) boring.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 16, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The weirdest relationships are either Alex and Maddie, or Nate Grey and Maddie.

No, wait. It's definitely Nate Grey and Maddie.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
You know you have a special franchise when one of the healthiest relationships in it, for years, was between Kurt and his adopted sister Amanda.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

You know you have a special franchise when one of the healthiest relationships in it, for years, was between Kurt and his adopted sister Amanda.

"Ohboy!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It feels like every Wolverine main-Wolverine-book story now is the attempt to write the arc that's going to inspire the next movie rather than to write a good Wolverine story. I've thought they've done a lot of good one-shots the past five years or so but the main book has almost always been toxic (although there were a few bright spots for sure)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I thought Aaron's stories were really good. He started as just the filler writer when Guggenheim or Loeb couldn't get their poo poo together fast enough, and that resulted in fantastic stories like Get Mystique. His Wolverine: Weapon X was also really good. I think he lost a bit of steam after he finished the Hell arc from his adjectiveless Wolverine run.

It probably doesn't help that, like with Spider-Man, it seems like every writer pretty much has to hit the re-set button at one point or another.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Whoops, how could I forgot Wolverines past romances? I don't think anyone in marvel has had healthy relationships, even Cap.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

twistedmentat posted:

Whoops, how could I forgot Wolverines past romances? I don't think anyone in marvel has had healthy relationships, even Cap.

Northstar and his husband have a pretty healthy relationship, I think. The book they were featured in was powerfully boring so it's hard to be sure.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

twistedmentat posted:

Luke Cage and Jessica Jones seem okay.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Northstar and his husband have a pretty healthy relationship, I think. The book they were featured in was powerfully boring so it's hard to be sure.

These two things might be more related than you think!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Cabbit posted:

I liked the part where Liu spent most of her run building up Karma and Warbird as a thing and then a few weeks after Astonishing ends Amazing #1 comes out and Warbird's pretty much wanting to jump on Iceman's dick and her deal with Karma is never mentioned again.

Also the healthiest X-Men relationship was Jubilee and Tim Drake. Shame that couldn't continue past Marvel vs. DC for obvious reasons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Suben posted:

I liked the part where Liu spent most of her run building up Karma and Warbird as a thing and then a few weeks after Astonishing ends Amazing #1 comes out and Warbird's pretty much wanting to jump on Iceman's dick and her deal with Karma is never mentioned again.

Also the healthiest X-Men relationship was Jubilee and Tim Drake. Shame that couldn't continue past Marvel vs. DC for obvious reasons.

Hah, I loved that event. I recently found it in my boxes and realized how sweet that was written. Also, Namor getting flattened by a Shark.

Warbird also banging Doop, a lot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Not really surprising but the Axis X-Event Marvel have been hyping up is the culmination/continuation of Remender's Uncanny Avengers.

Just in case there wasn't enough events going on.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That logo looks better than the jammed together Avengers A X-men X version, but it also looks like SIXIS.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

That logo looks better than the jammed together Avengers A X-men X version, but it also looks like SIXIS.
Yeah, that diagonal line in the A should have been eliminated. The shape is still symmetrical with the IS and that's enough. SIXIS is the first thing I saw too.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

My impression of Bendis is that he writes scene-to-scene quippy dialogue and gives no thought to plot or character consistency. Just write everyone chatting, and let 'em head off to wherever they're going, and when they get there write 'em chatting some more. ...Which obviously isn't a great way to write serialized stories, especially since the initial charm of his sitcom-style dialogue has kind of worn off.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I thought Aaron's stories were really good. He started as just the filler writer when Guggenheim or Loeb couldn't get their poo poo together fast enough, and that resulted in fantastic stories like Get Mystique. His Wolverine: Weapon X was also really good. I think he lost a bit of steam after he finished the Hell arc from his adjectiveless Wolverine run.

Seconding this. If anyone's interested, you can get the omnibus with a good chunk of his run (including my favorite, Wolverine in not-Arkham Asylum) on Amazon for like $20.

redbackground posted:

Yeah, that diagonal line in the A should have been eliminated. The shape is still symmetrical with the IS and that's enough. SIXIS is the first thing I saw too.

I think they're going for the "spin it upside down and backward and it looks the same" thing. It's apparently called an ambigram. Quitely did the same thing more successfully for Morrison's New X-Men.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I think they're going for the "spin it upside down and backward and it looks the same" thing. It's apparently called an ambigram. Quitely did the same thing more successfully for Morrison's New X-Men.
Oh, that's exactly what they were trying for, but quick, initial readability just isn't there (which for a logo, is Poor Form).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, I loved that event. I recently found it in my boxes and realized how sweet that was written. Also, Namor getting flattened by a Shark.

Warbird also banging Doop, a lot.

Speaking of Doop, did they cancel his miniseries completely?

E: nope. Issue 2 drops this week.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Waterhaul posted:

Not really surprising but the Axis X-Event Marvel have been hyping up is the culmination/continuation of Remender's Uncanny Avengers.

Just in case there wasn't enough events going on.

Goddamnit, why is Loki standing with a bunch of villains.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cabbit posted:

His solo series would be a pretty good indicator of what's up. Loki's gotta Loki, mang.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Cabbit posted:

Because Loki is a villain.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

Because Loki is a villain.

He is an anti-hero. :colbert:

(:ssh: there is no difference :ssh:)

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

When did Elrond become a Skrull?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Welp, doesn't look like Uncanny Avengers is gonna improve any time soon

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Angry Walrus posted:

When did Elrond become a Skrull?

That's the Green Goblin.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Who is that behind Loki and Red Onslaught? I am thinking Sabertooth.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Dark Phoenix Saga and Schism collections are on sale in Comixology. What are the good ones?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Schneider Heim posted:

Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Dark Phoenix Saga and Schism collections are on sale in Comixology. What are the good ones?
Messiah CompleX and Second Coming are alright. Dark Phoenix is fantastic why are you even asking if it is just bloody buy it ok? I haven't read Schism.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah Dark Phoenix is one of those stone cold classics that everybody should just pick up and read. It's basically peak Claremont and Byrne and is really good.

Other than that Messiah Complex is the only one I'd fully recommend as I really like that era of X-Men and it manages to tell a cohesive action story while managing to stay true to the books that it's interrupting. Plus it kind of plays as a good version of the Greatest Hits of the X-Men.

Second Coming is a waste. It pretends to be a big event when in reality it's just them chickening out of committing on Hope being Phoenix. It's the start of the build up to AvX but you can tell they didn't really know where they were going with it.

I like Schism but it's got some dodgy art. Probably worth it if you want to catch up on current X-Men.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah Dark Phoenix is one of those stone cold classics that everybody should just pick up and read. It's basically peak Claremont and Byrne and is really good.

Other than that Messiah Complex is the only one I'd fully recommend as I really like that era of X-Men and it manages to tell a cohesive action story while managing to stay true to the books that it's interrupting. Plus it kind of plays as a good version of the Greatest Hits of the X-Men.

Second Coming is a waste. It pretends to be a big event when in reality it's just them chickening out of committing on Hope being Phoenix. It's the start of the build up to AvX but you can tell they didn't really know where they were going with it.

I like Schism but it's got some dodgy art. Probably worth it if you want to catch up on current X-Men.

Does Second Coming have the scene in it where Gambit is kneeling by Rogue's beside while she's in a coma, crying for her to come back? And then the background disolves into a collage of all these classic moments of Gambit and Rogue as a couple from the 1990s?

Because if so, that moment is one of the best scenes of romance in any comic ever and is probably worth buying JUST for that if you have even the slightest of interests in the 1990's X-Men.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

The Question IRL posted:

Does Second Coming have the scene in it where Gambit is kneeling by Rogue's beside while she's in a coma, crying for her to come back? And then the background disolves into a collage of all these classic moments of Gambit and Rogue as a couple from the 1990s?

Because if so, that moment is one of the best scenes of romance in any comic ever and is probably worth buying JUST for that if you have even the slightest of interests in the 1990's X-Men.

Pretty sure that was Messiah Complex. And yeah, looking back, Messiah Complex was pretty enjoyable. I was pretty mad at the time because it interrupted Mike Carey's run at the time on X-Men (with his half villain X-Men team), but the book that came out of that (X-Men Legacy with Professor X, still with Mike Carey writing) was really good.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks, everyone! I'll just get everything (argh).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a sort of real world "what if" scenario. Imagine if Claremont (for whatever reason) had decided he wanted to stop writing the series at some point in the 1980s; what would have been the ideal point for him to go, who would have been the ideal replacement writer; and what would have been the ideal next move for Claremont (i.e. he's given another Marvel book or he goes to DC)?

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's a sort of real world "what if" scenario. Imagine if Claremont (for whatever reason) had decided he wanted to stop writing the series at some point in the 1980s; what would have been the ideal point for him to go, who would have been the ideal replacement writer; and what would have been the ideal next move for Claremont (i.e. he's given another Marvel book or he goes to DC)?

For some reason, I envision Claremont swapping X-Men for Fantastic Four with Byrne. I'm thinking just before Fall of the Mutants maybe?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

eliotlucas posted:

For some reason, I envision Claremont swapping X-Men for Fantastic Four with Byrne. I'm thinking just before Fall of the Mutants maybe?

I'd let him go through Inferno. It was a bit of a mess but it wrapped up the Pryor stuff and I have a love of weird stuff like elevators eating people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Byrne would've jumped at the chance to take over X-Men without Claremont on the book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question is, would he have abandoned X-Men for Superman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Question is, would he have abandoned X-Men for Superman?

For the amount of money DC shoveled his way? Probably.

• Locked thread