Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

This.

Let them all play somebody else's game like kabbadi or lacrosse we'll just do a home nations tournament every four years.

Ultimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FIKA, Kronum is the sport of the future

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Phwoar, imagine if Lebron James played kronum

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ultimate what?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Peanut President posted:

Ultimate what?

Ultimate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_(sport)

for some loving reason we had to play this sport in primary school, it was fun though

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

blueyedevil posted:

Nobody would give a single gently caress if none of the home nations showed up for any international tournaments. In fact, most would be glad that they don't have to deal with 10,000 English twats and a loving band.

Yes they would because the UK is the home of football. We invented it; It's our game.

It's only thanks to our generosity that you have it to enjoy at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kurtofan posted:

Ultimate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_(sport)

for some loving reason we had to play this sport in primary school, it was fun though

A name so dumb it could be any already existing sport

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

A name so dumb it could be any already existing sport

I guess Frisbee is a trademarked name

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

Yes they would because the UK is the home of football. We invented it; It's our game.

It's only thanks to our generosity that you have it to enjoy at all.

Then why are you so bad at it?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

blueyedevil posted:

Nobody would give a single gently caress if none of the home nations showed up for any international tournaments. In fact, most would be glad that they don't have to deal with 10,000 English twats and a loving band.
2WW1WC

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Pissflaps posted:

Foreigners ruined our game.

Is there anything sadder than English nationalism in the year 2014?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ephex posted:

Then why are you so bad at it?

Focussed too much on winning world wars and not committing genocide but now it's coming home. It's coming home.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like all the americans ITT getting offended that football is our game as if it's got literally anything to do with them haha.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

Focussed too much on winning world wars and not committing genocide but now it's coming home. It's coming home.

No cussing

or is that how they spell it in the Uk?

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure old Seppy Bladder said Soccer was invented in ancient China. So get ready for Football to come home to Beijing in the Summer of 2030!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Reset Smith posted:

I'm pretty sure old Seppy Bladder said Soccer was invented in ancient China. So get ready for Football to come to Beijing in the Summer of 2030!

Sepp Blatter is wrong though

it was a sport invented when we kicked the heads of decapitated prisoners around. We're good lads.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The ulimate irony is that Roy Hodgson is managing a squad of predominantly Liverpool players at a world cup. The added bonus is that he decided to bring Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney, and all the dregs of Manchester United in some hopes of adding "quality," to the squad. It will sure be a world cup to remember.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

we gave that world war / genocide thing a really good go and still we have three times as many world cup trophies as the inventors of football and even after getting bombed back to the stone age we won the first trophy earlier than you guys

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ephex posted:

we that world war / genocide thing a really good go and still we have three times as many world cup trophies as the inventors of football and even after getting bombed back to the stone age we won the first trophy earlier than you guys

You also murdered six million jews but I'm not sure why you'd want to boast about it.

Two world wars. One world cup. Football is coming home.

It's coming home.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

You also murdered six million jews but I'm not sure why you'd want to boast about it.

Two world wars. One world cup. Football is coming home.

It's coming home.

After three matches lol

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
please stop

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

no i need to be distracted from the fact Roy has named Frank Lampard vice captain and as such will more than likely play for England during the world cup.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

no i need to be distracted from the fact Roy has named Frank Lampard vice captain and as such will more than likely play for England during the world cup.

That's actually a thing you would complain about itt

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't get it - can they take the 2022 WC away? Can we reschedule it or move it or give it to England to host or something reasonable? Or will it be in the middle of the desert in the middle of the summer gently caress the players and gently caress the fans?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't get it - can they take the 2022 WC away? Can we reschedule it or move it or give it to England to host or something reasonable? Or will it be in the middle of the desert in the middle of the summer gently caress the players and gently caress the fans?

I feel like the only way to stop Qatar from hosting the World Cup is if the TV broadcasters step in and say that won't work for them, it's the summer or nothing. It's blatantly obvious that FIFA doesn't give a poo poo about the fans or the clubs, it's entirely about money. So the only thing that will get the WC reassigned is the threat that FIFA will get less money out of the deal.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Can they do it? Yes. Will they do it? Of course not.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

The World Cup will be played in the winter in Qatar.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

dkj posted:

The World Cup will be played in the winter in Qatar.

European leagues won't go for that at all

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I don't know if you're joking but it's already been decided, announced, and protested. FIFA give absolutely no fucks.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm hoping it goes to court tbh, it's so hosed up it defies comprehension but when you're Sepp and anyone on the FIFA executive committee I guess you can't help but think you can do absolutely whatever the gently caress you want. You don't even need to hide it, just be as corrupt as you want and escape all repercussions, forever

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

I'm hoping it goes to court tbh, it's so hosed up it defies comprehension but when you're Sepp and anyone on the FIFA executive committee I guess you can't help but think you can do absolutely whatever the gently caress you want. You don't even need to hide it, just be as corrupt as you want and escape all repercussions, forever

Reminder (perhaps in OP?) that Interpol literally outed Blatter and Havelange as paying bungs, completely red handed, and his response was to run unopposed in an election while having his competitors expelled for bribery.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Spangly A posted:

Reminder (perhaps in OP?) that Interpol literally outed Blatter and Havelange as paying bungs, completely red handed, and his response was to run unopposed in an election while having his competitors expelled for bribery.

Yes but now we have ethics advisors including Placido Domingo to keep them in line.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
You forget the other member of the ethics council of wise men who is a literal war criminal.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Qatar sucks rear end but the winter world cup is a solid idea. Who wants to be sitting inside watching TV in the summer? Not me.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

vaginal culture posted:

Qatar sucks rear end but the winter world cup is a solid idea. Who wants to be sitting inside watching TV in the summer? Not me.

Club games at Christmas and New Year is the best part of the season though :colbert:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

vaginal culture posted:

thats why you rig up your tv outside and chill w/ brews in the sun watching the might of Chad take on East Timor, or go to a bar and sit in the beer garden and do the same

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Answers Me posted:

Club games at Christmas and New Year is the best part of the season though :colbert:
Well what you do is have them run at the same with all of the games in Qatar. The players play for their clubs and then turn around and play World Cup games in the same stadiums.

It's foolproof.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

I feel like the broadcasters will step in. Murdoch didn't pay three billion pounds for a winter break.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Modus Trollens posted:

I feel like the broadcasters will step in. Murdoch didn't pay three billion pounds for a winter break.

They also didnt pay ridiculous sums for world cup rights to have it not be the centre attraction of the summer and instead compete with loads of other sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

If suprised the countries who failed in their 2022 bids havent made more of a fuss.

Qatar was one of the only bids with major technical issues highlighted and their bid was awarded on the basiss that:
  • They would have air conditioned stadiums
  • The world cup would be held in summer
  • They would build 12 stadiums that would then be donated to poorer nations

The first was a complete lie, they are lobbying for it to be moved and they've now said they're only actually building 8. There was already a ton of poo poo they were allowed to get away with like having more then 2 stadiums in a city not to mention their appalling human rights record. On top of the that the president of FIFA has said it was a partly political decision and now said it was a mistake. Australia, the US, japan and south korea should sue the gently caress out of them.