Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Best guess is that by the time NG+ rolls around, people have wised up to the idea that being in the Sentinels covenant is a waste of time, so no one bothers to do cracked blue eye orb invasions.

I should still be getting a ton of invasions in belfry sol, though. There wasn't a single invasion at all. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Best guess is that by the time NG+ rolls around, people have wised up to the idea that being in the Sentinels covenant is a waste of time, so no one bothers to do cracked blue eye orb invasions.

I was recently summoned in a regular ol' NG and got so excited when I got the random cry for help from an invaded BlueBro.

But then the invader turned out to be a SL1 with infinite HP that only Warcried over and over so I just jumped off a cliff.

All that excitement gone. A mere taste of the honey nectar that could have been. :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FauxGateau posted:

Isn't Demon's Souls the game with the supremely broken boss weapons/trades? I mean I would say that Dark's are pretty okay all things considered.

Yeah pretty much every good weapon or spell in Demon's Souls was off a boss. None of this find stuff from the beginning of the game and just upgrade it to +10. Part of it was that Boss weapons were already at max stats as soon as you made them, and some of them could be made out of completely unupgraded stuff. The meat cleaver just needed a +0 club and EVERYONE used it.

The way boss weapons work in DS2 though, a weapon with 100 attack maxes out at 250 attack if you fully upgrade them with petrified dragonbones, so it's hard to tell what's good without wasting a bunch of those.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Belfry trip report:

Havel, Santiers + Havel, Non-Havel but invulnerable, multiple AFK bellbros... :what:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
If I ascetic the King's Gate bonfire to get Durgo's hat, will it affect the bosses in the Throne of Want?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How easy is it getting the 30 sunlight medals if you go heir of the sun covenant? Thinking about respeccing to get sunlight spear and seeing how much damage it does compared to crystal soul spear and then properly using melee if its worth it

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

If I ascetic the King's Gate bonfire to get Durgo's hat, will it affect the bosses in the Throne of Want?

Yup. Enjoy fighting the Duo every time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jose posted:

How easy is it getting the 30 sunlight medals if you go heir of the sun covenant? Thinking about respeccing to get sunlight spear and seeing how much damage it does compared to crystal soul spear and then properly using melee if its worth it

Stick to sunbro-ing Covetous Demon if you can help it. Easy boss, closest to the covenant. Don't bother trying to coop Mytha, half the hits you get are people who don't bother draining the pool and that's no fun for anyone involved. Next best boss to sunbro after CD is probably Smeltor Demon or Old Iron King though Smeltor has better choke points for players to throw down signs. Just remember when you decide to beat bosses yourself, always get sunbros because you will still get sun medals if you beat the boss with sunbros still alive (one each)

I highly recommend Sunlight Spear even though I'm actually not high enough Faith to use it. If it's anything like Lightning Spear it absolutely WRECKS in pve and for PVP if you catch em off guard

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Jose posted:

It's very easy, if you want it to! I had 30 after a few hours of flinging lightning at the singing demon. Just pick a boss that would fit your soul memory and that isn't too likely to kill the host, and there will be plenty of people to summon you .)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah pretty much every good weapon or spell in Demon's Souls was off a boss. None of this find stuff from the beginning of the game and just upgrade it to +10. Part of it was that Boss weapons were already at max stats as soon as you made them, and some of them could be made out of completely unupgraded stuff. The meat cleaver just needed a +0 club and EVERYONE used it.

The way boss weapons work in DS2 though, a weapon with 100 attack maxes out at 250 attack if you fully upgrade them with petrified dragonbones, so it's hard to tell what's good without wasting a bunch of those.

Isn't it kind of the opposite? I mean once you figure out/look up how upgrade scaling works you can accurately determine the final stats of any weapon pretty easily - Twinkling Titanite stuff gets a 50% increase, regular Titanite stuff gets a 100% increase and Petrified Dragon Bone stuff gets a 150% increase.

Also, to any faith-Sunbros out there, is it worth grinding through the covenant to get Sunlight Spear? I've heard mixed things about the windup time and I'm wondering if it's worth using over GLS in PVP.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Absolutely not. Me and a friend were sitting in Heide's Tower of Flame in NG+, getting arbiter spirits pretty frequently. There are probably less good wholesome blue cops than filthy pvp sinners though, so you might want to wear the delicate string and pop tokens of spite to get regularly invaded.

The sentinel arena is pretty loving dead though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jordbo posted:

It's very easy, if you want it to! I had 30 after a few hours of flinging lightning at the singing demon. Just pick a boss that would fit your soul memory and that isn't too likely to kill the host, and there will be plenty of people to summon you .)

I'll do it then. Is it worth doing all of the Darkdiver Grandahl stuff to get the dragon chime or should I just kill him instead?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jose posted:

I'll do it then. Is it worth doing all of the Darkdiver Grandahl stuff to get the dragon chime or should I just kill him instead?

I won't respect you if you skip

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Yeah, who the gently caress is Durgo?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Jose posted:

Do it so you can get the best(only) troll spell in the game.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

MohShuvuu posted:

I should still be getting a ton of invasions in belfry sol, though. There wasn't a single invasion at all. :(

Did you disconnect a lot previously? I'm a wretch and get funpoliced every 5 minutes on the dot. Only other thing I can see is that you were playing during off peak time and the matchmaker didn't like you.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Rudoku posted:

Do it so you can get the best(only) troll spell in the game.

Using Warmth on bosses is a thing!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What about Chameleon which you can buy tokens for but this way it takes up a slot of your spells when you want to trick bellbros or something

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Alan Smithee posted:

What about Chameleon which you can buy tokens for but this way it takes up a slot of your spells when you want to trick bellbros or something

Chameleon isn't a troll: it's a way of life.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Prowling Magus is another piss easy boss to grind sunlight medals. Soul appease makes the fight trivial. Not that it's that hard to begin with.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I was trying to sunbro near Smelter Demon last night, but there were literally zero summoning signs around and I never got summoned. I had to move to Iron King (a battle in which every host is a lemming and gets knocked into the lava after one hit). I have 800k soul memory, surely that's not out of range for when people end up fighting ol' buttface?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I was trying to sunbro near Smelter Demon last night, but there were literally zero summoning signs around and I never got summoned. I had to move to Iron King (a battle in which every host is a lemming and gets knocked into the lava after one hit). I have 800k soul memory, surely that's not out of range for when people end up fighting ol' buttface?

What SL? 800k Sounds kinda low if anything.

Where are you putting them? If just outside the fog that should do it, especially if you can get OIK hits...

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
It seems like hexes do more damage than sorceries for me, even though I have 40 int and 22 faith. I even attuned the staff I got from Felkin to do more sorcery damage. Hmm. I figured I would own people in pvp but they all roll my dodges and then come stab me. Feels bad man. Still, spells are mad fun for pve. I think I'm the problem when it comes to fighting other people. Went 1 and 5 in duels after joining that blood covenant. It's pretty fun though. I also have a santier's spear melee guy who I get owned by other people on regularly. Lowest common denominator? Me. Although I don't really have a pvp build, per se. That might have something to do with it. Regardless, I get owned.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Jose posted:

According to the guide, Darkdiver Granddad will give you Resonant Soul, Great Resonant Soul, Climax and the Xanthous Set as well as the Dragon Chime. If I read it correctly, though, he will let you enter the abyss through his gravestone if you kill him after joining the covenant, if you should change your mind.

Edit: and there are no special items to pick up in the abyss. The Darklurker soul can be traded with Straid for Lifedrain Patch.

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 19, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Alan Smithee posted:

What SL? 800k Sounds kinda low if anything. Where are you putting them? If just outside the fog that should do it, especially if you can get OIK hits...

100-ish, I think? This is my second character now, so I'm not losing as many souls to stupid deaths as I otherwise would, and not upgrading as much random crap I won't use for long anyway. Just outside the gate, yes. Could it have something to do with not having killed the Pursuer that spawns in that room yet?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

100-ish, I think? This is my second character now, so I'm not losing as many souls to stupid deaths as I otherwise would, and not upgrading as much random crap I won't use for long anyway. Just outside the gate, yes. Could it have something to do with not having killed the Pursuer that spawns in that room yet?

Being summoned should have nothing to do with if you've killed a boss or not, let alone an optional mini-boss

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Isn't it kind of the opposite? I mean once you figure out/look up how upgrade scaling works you can accurately determine the final stats of any weapon pretty easily - Twinkling Titanite stuff gets a 50% increase, regular Titanite stuff gets a 100% increase and Petrified Dragon Bone stuff gets a 150% increase.

You can figure the stats out, yeah. Personally to me the Souls games are way less about numbers and way more about feel though. So you could pick up a sword, use it a bit, and say "Ok it feels crappy but maybe I would like it better if it dealt double the damage" but you can't really be sure until you've gone and upgraded it and actually used it sometimes. A moveset that has some useless moves might be worth it if the damage is high enough, just look at all the Black Knight weapons in DS1 which ALL had a useless R2. A fully upgraded one usually did so much damage you could overlook it though.

Jose posted:

I mean you can get 30 without joining the covenant if you're really dedicated. You get them for even summoning Sunbros to help you beat a boss.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I've beaten the Iron King, and through extensive co-op my SM is 1.9m. Where can I co-op now? :( Do I have to actually go play more myself?
Where should I go next?

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also, to any faith-Sunbros out there, is it worth grinding through the covenant to get Sunlight Spear? I've heard mixed things about the windup time and I'm wondering if it's worth using over GLS in PVP.

You can accurately determine the final stats of any weapon without split damage, but only Blue Flame, Black Knight Greataxe and Mace of the Insolent increase the split damage according to those formulas (2 of which do so because they're casting implements). And only 4 of the 16 boss weapons with split scaling are above that level (Defender Greatsword, Iron King Hammer, Sacred Chime Hammer and Bow of Want), with most of them increasing by what Twinkling Titanite should be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Schmetterling posted:

I've beaten the Iron King, and through extensive co-op my SM is 1.9m. Where can I co-op now? :( Do I have to actually go play more myself?
Where should I go next?

I was regularly getting summons at the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle at 2m soul memory, but its hit or miss if you do the castle or go fight Nashandra instead

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Jose posted:

I was regularly getting summons at the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle at 2m soul memory, but its hit or miss if you do the castle or go fight Nashandra instead

Once you get there, the 1st boss in drangleic is ridiculously fast to get summoned for as a shade and really easy, and is basically free humanity if you ever happen to die at any point for most of the rest of the game (hello gravity, my old friend).

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Hitting the Pursuer once, then parrying him and one shotting with the ballista while he is stunned will never get old, feels like a fatality :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

Hitting the Pursuer once, then parrying him and one shotting with the ballista while he is stunned will never get old, feels like a fatality :v:

I have gone the entirety of this game without parrying a single enemy once and I'll be damned if I start now

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have gone the entirety of this game without parrying a single enemy once and I'll be damned if I start now

:):hf::)

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

animatorZed posted:

Once you get there, the 1st boss in drangleic is ridiculously fast to get summoned for as a shade and really easy, and is basically free humanity if you ever happen to die at any point for most of the rest of the game (hello gravity, my old friend).

This is what I did, and then moved along to the second boss when I got tired of that. Had 30 medals in no time. Both of them are straightforward fights.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GODDAMMIT I hate castles! I hate castles with archers in them! I HATE THEM SO MUCH!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

GODDAMMIT I hate castles! I hate castles with archers in them! I HATE THEM SO MUCH!

It could always be worse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs&t=178s

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

SynthOrange posted:

thought I clicked on the Mountain Blade thread for a moment there.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Could?

It will get worse right after the castle. :haw:

Is there anything noteworthy in the lava chests in Iron Keep? I never bothered with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010