Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Could anyone cut this down into a square avatar?

How's this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Beaten but here's a couple anyway:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I love you :allears: Although Adventure Time did another example of this with Marceline doing a slide away from the camera on all fours. Add that and it'll be perfect.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Beaten but here's a couple anyway:

Awesome. Now to wait till I have money.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know it's blasphemy to mention FX redos in Star Wars since Lucas made such a loving hash and replaced things with CG, but I'd love to see a demo of what Star Wars stuff might look like if they redid the FX in the same manner as they're redoing the Star Trek TNG FX for blu-ray, recompositing stuff from the original model footage with modern digital compositing and correction techniques. That is, if the original bluescreen footage for Star Wars still exists.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MikeJF posted:

You know it's blasphemy to mention FX redos in Star Wars since Lucas made such a loving hash and replaced things with CG, but I'd love to see a demo of what Star Wars stuff might look like if they redid the FX in the same manner as they're redoing the Star Trek TNG FX for blu-ray, recompositing stuff from the original model footage with modern digital compositing and correction techniques. That is, if the original bluescreen footage for Star Wars still exists.

See here's the thing. The TNG (and TOS) remasters gave a poo poo about the original source material and didn't change things wholesale. Lucas just felt this insane need to keep loving things up. They touched things up and made it look nice for Star Trek, there's no middle fingers to the audience like the end of Return of the Jedi. Despite Jedi's flaws I will never not defend it against the poo poo Lucas did in the remasters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a fair bit of bad feeling about the TOS remasters, to be honest; people weren't too happy about the feel of the CGI TOS, which is one of the reasons why they decided not to use CGI (except for adjustments or when something was missing) and recreate the effects from scratch using the original model shots in Next Generation despite the insane amount of work involved. Which has been a spectacular success.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I never minded the 97 edits because they didn't change anything, just added new effects to make thing more robust. Like the extra CG in Mos Eisley, and the bigger squadron of X-Wings. The second edits where they made Greedo shoot first, and added Christensen to the end of VI suck though.

EDIT: Content!

Orgophlax has a new favorite as of 12:23 on May 19, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Greedo shot first in 1997.

In any case I'm not really talking about edits or additions, just the idea of redoing the existing model composites. It could be spectacular.

Not gif content, but this is the result of TNG's 1992 vs 2012 both using the same bluescreen footage. Digital compositing is light years better.

Sorry I'm getting quite off-topic here.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 12:33 on May 19, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

N. Senada posted:

what's wrong with butts?

:yosbutt:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is consistently the funniest gif I've ever seen. Every time somebody posts it I just sit at my computer like

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MikeJF posted:

Greedo shot first in 1997.

In any case I'm not really talking about edits or additions, just the idea of redoing the existing model composites. It could be spectacular.

Not gif content, but this is the result of TNG's 1992 vs 2012 both using the same bluescreen footage. Digital compositing is light years better.

Sorry I'm getting quite off-topic here.

Holy poo poo that looks great. I almost want to buy the Blu-rays but not quite enough to spend like 90 Americabux per seasons or whatever it is.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Pingiivi posted:

Huh? I've never heard them using anything but optically printed effects on those movies.

They did use computers for the effects, but it was for camera control. Being able to precisely replicate camera movements from one pass to another allowed them to put a ton more moving objects into a shot.

The shot I asked for with the Falcon coming toward the camera is still one of the coolest moving images I've ever seen. I was fortunate enough to see all of the OT in the theaters during their first runs. Nothing quite compared to seeing one of the OT Star Wars movies for the first time, on the big screen, as a child. Seeing that on a big screen at age 9 pretty much cemented my nerdiness for the rest of my life.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Isn't that the German dude who makes awesome slingshots and improvised machine guns?

You are correct, that there is his Chuck Norris Leg Lifter, to aid in the use of his shoe-based slingshot, which allows for a longer reach and thus longer pull. SCIENCE.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bart Fargo posted:

Nothing quite compared to seeing one of the OT Star Wars movies for the first time, on the big screen, as a child.

It's almost like this whole "issue" is rooted in people's nostalgia more than anything else :monocle:

Gifs!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jam

Does anyone have a link to gooncam?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Geokinesis posted:

Jam

Does anyone have a link to gooncam?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

MikeJF posted:

IIRC they actually did that for the shots of the X-Wings exploding in the fist "Star Wars". Its really noticeable that there's a big blue blob around those explosions in the original versions because the colors in the shots chroma'd badly.

Will have the two requested shots done a little later!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Bad Munki posted:

You are correct, that there is his Chuck Norris Leg Lifter, to aid in the use of his shoe-based slingshot, which allows for a longer reach and thus longer pull. SCIENCE.

That guy's videos rule. I have not seen him use that device, but it looks like the start of something amusing.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Centripetal Horse posted:

That guy's videos rule. I have not seen him use that device, but it looks like the start of something amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsPfVemWVWU

It was a pretty good one. :cheers:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Robert Denby posted:

The Empire Strikes Back

What's the fighter on the left even shooting at?

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

It's going to be so weird seeing a Star Wars movie that doesn't start with that triumphant 20th Century Fox fanfare...

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

Kakairo posted:

It's going to be so weird seeing a Star Wars movie that doesn't start with that triumphant 20th Century Fox fanfare...

Maybe we can start a petition and get them to compromise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCPj4JPbKtA

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Your Computer posted:

It's almost like this whole "issue" is rooted in people's nostalgia more than anything else :monocle:

Gifs!

Gary Busey liked his Arby's meal :unsmith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

What's the fighter on the left even shooting at?
Warning shot across the nose.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Warning shot across the nose.

"I said across her nose, not up it!"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

This guy's adorable! I wish he was my goofy uncle so I could get drunk and make bad jokes with him at family reunions. :allears:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Sorry this is from the last page, but this thing freaks me out- whats it from?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kakairo posted:

Every time I hear the fanfare, the Star Wars theme starts playing in my mind right after.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Been looking for an excuse to put this up for awhile. Might be too NWS though.

:nws: Gallery

Zesty has a new favorite as of 17:28 on May 19, 2014

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.

Just Offscreen posted:

The Ice Pirates

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Orgophlax posted:

I never minded the 97 edits because they didn't change anything, just added new effects to make thing more robust. Like the extra CG in Mos Eisley, and the bigger squadron of X-Wings. The second edits where they made Greedo shoot first, and added Christensen to the end of VI suck though.

EDIT: Content!

Have this playing in the background it helps immensely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MkNKvF7x4

BlameKitten
Nov 19, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

Space herpe.

Ice Pirates (1984)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-me2inj1nNw

e:beaten like crazy

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
OK, I need to see "The Ice Pirates".

No, not Porkins!

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.

panorama_change has a new favorite as of 18:32 on May 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

He chose... poorly...

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011