Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Yet another issue is becoming apparent to me with the SM system. Now that I'm at a higher SM on my dickwraith, the disparity between some of my invasions is shocking. Some people are well equipped and genuinely tough to kill even when I try my hardest. Other die in just two hits. The SM system really punishes people who make mistakes and lose large amounts of souls. It might not matter in the long long LONG run but it does matter when they get matched up against someone who was efficient with souls and only lost a small amount.

Yea, if they really wanted somewhat equal matching, the game should check for SL and Gear lvl rather than SM. My second char has a way lower Sm than my first, while having a higher SL and far better gear. And if they wanted to keep SM, it should probably be changed so it doesn't count lost souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

I somehow managed to oneshot a guy wearing full Havel's. It wasn't a backstab or anything, just a normal strong attack with my thorned greatsword :pwn:

Yet another issue is becoming apparent to me with the SM system. Now that I'm at a higher SM on my dickwraith, the disparity between some of my invasions is shocking. Some people are well equipped and genuinely tough to kill even when I try my hardest. Other die in just two hits. The SM system really punishes people who make mistakes and lose large amounts of souls. It might not matter in the long long LONG run but it does matter when they get matched up against someone who was efficient with souls and only lost a small amount.

Havel guys drop like flies. I tend to worry more about the crazy naked/near-naked katana/dual katana/hybrid katana casters.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Duke's Dear Freja Chat for melee characters.

IMO I found a pretty cheesy strategy for this boss. I sunbro'd it a few times first - and subsequently watched the hosts die hilariously - but after that it only took a couple tries to get my strategy down pat.

1. Generally speaking ignore the adds by circling to one side. I've found that Freja's presence in the room causes the spiders to have strange pathing problems where they don't necessarily know how to deal with the giant two headed spider in the room (the legs in particular). If you get a clear opportunity to kill one then absolutely take the chance.
2. Stand far enough back that you induce Freja to use her laser beam, but close enough where you're not too far away to perform the next step successfully.
3. As soon as she rears up to make her attack sprint to the other head.
4. Get a couple hits in
5. Back off and repeat.

I only died doing this while ignoring Freja too long while trying to kill some adds and got hit by the laser beam.

Also, is that laser dodgeable? I thought it was like the Chariot sycthes but I was never successful at doing it.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sunlight Spear is what I'm referring to.

Too much sunlight in that covenant I tell you. They should try more DARK DARK LET ME UNLOCK YOUR TRUE DARK. gently caress darklurker

You can only get one copy of Sunlight spear without having someone else drop one for you, NG+ doesn't reset it and Wellager doesn't sell it either unfortunately.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man, the mad warrior set is a pain in the rear end to get

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

Also, is that laser dodgeable? I thought it was like the Chariot sycthes but I was never successful at doing it.

You can dodge straight through it but it seems to have a pretty wide hitbox. I've failed more than I've succeeded, easier to just run around.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's one of the few attacks that moves slowly enough that it's appreciably easier to dodge through at low encumbrance since you move so much farther.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Domattee posted:

Too much sunlight in that covenant I tell you. They should try more DARK DARK LET ME UNLOCK YOUR TRUE DARK. gently caress darklurker

You can only get one copy of Sunlight spear without having someone else drop one for you, NG+ doesn't reset it and Wellager doesn't sell it either unfortunately.

That's what I figured, oh well.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Ice Fist posted:

I think you're wrong that that a shield does make it easier. Getting the timing down on dodging a bosses' various attacks can take a bunch of tries, especially for someone new. If you're struggling with dodging then a shield does help. The sentinels are not like the Smelter demon or OIK where most/all of their attacks straight up cannot be blocked.

That said I also believe that once you've chosen an over arching theme to a build, like dual weidling, you should stick to it. Every build has challenges and dodging is something that a dual wielder needs to excel at. My point in suggesting that a shield might help is that he sounds frustrated - like dying 10+ times on the Sentinels frustrated. When someone is frustrated trying and failing the same thing over and over again a change in strategy might be in order instead of just saying 'dodge better.' Once he gets past a frustrating boss he can go back to dual wielding. Just trying to help a guy out.

Earlier today I beat the sentinels for the first time with a character who's actually using a shield, and I still ended up rolling through most of their swings. Granted that might just be force of habit since I've already done it a bunch of times without a shield, but to be honest I think in general shields are a little overrated, especially with the new guard break mechanics leaving you very vulnerable if you run out of stamina while blocking.

A shield might help with the sentinels, but it might not; if he's having trouble just dodging their attacks, blocking instead can solve that, but if his trouble is getting caught while attacking/healing/otherwise locked in an animation or running out of stamina blocking won't change that. The Ruin Sentinels are a lot like the DS1 gargoyles in what they're teaching you and how they teach it, although the fight is paced differently and they've got entirely different movesets: you start off fighting a single enemy, which gives you an opportunity to see its moves and learn how to deal with them in isolation, but then they ask you to fight two at once and all of a sudden the battle is really about taking the tactics you learned during the first phase and applying them to a situation where you're under a lot more pressure and have to look at the fight with a much wider eye. By the time you reach the sentinels you should be comfortable enough dodging and/or blocking, whatever your preferred defensive verb is, to deal with any of their individual moves, so what the game's really trying to teach you is how to manage fighting two large enemies at once: playing conservatively, not getting greedy with your attacks, being careful about when you heal, making sure you've always got both sentinels in view and are prepared to respond to any moves they make, that sort of thing. If you're not comfortable dodging their attacks at all, then picking up a shield will help, but the real difficulty of that fight is something entirely independent from your preferred method of damage mitigation.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is the drangelic shield good? I just got enough strength to wear it, along with +5 heide knight sword.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The more I play with profound still the more amazing it becomes. The radius is ridiculously huge. I don't know how big, but I'm hitting people like 20 feet away. Catching people in its radius is easy as hell, and since its so big I can do it from a safe distance. Oh, it also extends vertically as well. So if your target is sitting on top of a ladder or something, you can hit them with silence from the bottom. Also if someone is casting a spell and then gets hit with the silence, the spell gets canceled. They complete their casting animation and nothing happens.

I'm wonder if lingering dragoncrest ring would make it last even longer.

Equester posted:

Yea, if they really wanted somewhat equal matching, the game should check for SL and Gear lvl rather than SM. My second char has a way lower Sm than my first, while having a higher SL and far better gear. And if they wanted to keep SM, it should probably be changed so it doesn't count lost souls.

Changing it to only count souls spent definitely needs to happen. It will let people twink far more easily and indefinitely, but I that's the price to pay to solve a bunch of SM issues. They're never going to stop twinking completely until matchmaking takes gear into account, because gear matters a ton despite not really having a big soul cost. Plus since they make 0 effort to stop hacking, someone can just keep their SM artificially low anyways. Shouldn't make such a strict, limiting system when you don't even attempt to keep people from working around it!

ComaPrison posted:

Havel guys drop like flies. I tend to worry more about the crazy naked/near-naked katana/dual katana/hybrid katana casters.

Yeah Havel's players usually suck (or are obnoxious minmaxers that crush you), but you'd think I wouldn't be able to oneshot someone wearing that armour with a normal attack.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Does this dress make my rear end look big?

(Saint's Dress)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What the hell am I even supposed to do to this chariot rear end in a top hat? He literally just flattened me in one hit 10 seconds after the fight started and now I have to go back and fight those stupid mouth of sauron looking fuckers

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Pretty sure you can't drop spells, among other things, so you're probably limited to a single copy of sunlight spear per playthrough.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

What the hell am I even supposed to do to this chariot rear end in a top hat? He literally just flattened me in one hit 10 seconds after the fight started and now I have to go back and fight those stupid mouth of sauron looking fuckers

There are alcoves you can hide in along the circuit. Look for an alternate way of beating him that doesn't involve letting him ram your face.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

FirstPersonShitter posted:

man, the mad warrior set is a pain in the rear end to get

Do you know all the tricks to getting it? Wearing the red string ring makes him appear more often (apparently), but the real trick is keeping the Task Manager open to the processes page and monitoring the memory usage by darksoulsii.exe or whatever its called. Rest at the bonfire just below the belfry ladder and keep an eye on it (run the game in windowed mode or slap on a second monitor), and after you rest any time the memory usage spikes by 10 or more k it means he spawned. Then you just take the trek up, murder him, then head back down to chain rest until the memory usage spikes again. Its a race to see what maxes out first, the mad warrior set or your Bellbro rank.

Luckily, he seems to work by dropping only one of each piece of equipment per NG+, so you don't have to worry about getting doubles. Any time there's a drop, its one of the pieces you need.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is the drangelic shield good? I just got enough strength to wear it, along with +5 heide knight sword.

Yeah, its not awful. One of the earliest 100% block shields you can find, so if you have the strength for it no reason not to use it. But if you're intentionally keeping your strength low for your build, there are other shields with 100% phys block that have lesser requirements, so you oughta truck through with 95% until you can get them.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 19, 2014

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

y_3 posted:

Pretty sure you can't drop spells, among other things, so you're probably limited to a single copy of sunlight spear per playthrough.

Can anyone confirm this?

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

He's just a gimmick fight. You want to get as far as you can and then hide in one many of the cubby hole wall sections before he hits you. The skeletons that follow you will respawn until the necromancers are killed. When you get far enough there'll be a lever that lowers a gate and the chariot will crash into that, then you fight the horse.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

DON'T TOUCH MY BELL

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bob NewSCART posted:

The Royal Kite Shield has better resistances but lower stability, and upgrades with ordinary titanite meaning that it's probably more useful for most of the game. On the other hand is the King's Shield which uses Vendrick's soul but is equal or better in every aspect to the Drangleic shield.

The Drangleic shield is nice for helping out with the Ruin Sententials but otherwise your better off with one of the other two.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

ComaPrison posted:

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes. You can't leave spells

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's okay. It's one of the first 100% physical damage resistt shields you can get. But it requires twinkling titanite to level up. In my opinion, it's worth farming the old knights in heides tower for their round shields. It has a bit high str requirement. But really good stability and high resists, it's lowest being dark at 55% at +10, while the rest are at 77%. And the old Knight's shield upgrades with normal titanite

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 19, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The Royal Kite Shield has better resistances but lower stability, and upgrades with ordinary titanite meaning that it's probably more useful for most of the game. On the other hand is the King's Shield which uses Vendrick's soul but is equal or better in every aspect to the Drangleic shield.

The Drangleic shield is nice for helping out with the Ruin Sententials but otherwise your better off with one of the other two.

Vendrick is a waaaay late-game boss, so I don't think recommending him the King's Shield is really pertinent, since he seems to be a new player.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

It is done, rank 2 bluebro on NG. Time for the Jesus build.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Equester posted:

Yes. You can't leave spells

Or titanite, as I found out when I tried to leave a gift for some phantoms. Get bellkeeping for those chunks I guess.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Its a fight that looks like its a big rush but its not. Take your time with it and its pretty easy. Kill a pair of skeletons, hide in an alcove until the chariot comes by, move up to the next alcove, kill skeletons, hide, etc... The skeletons will get back up again because of Necromancers, but you'll kill them as you progress up the gimmick race course. Don't summon anyone for this fight, it makes the skeletons harder to kill.

You can also roll through the chariot's murder spikes if you're feeling like a badass.

Take your time and progress through the fight in baby steps and its not so bad.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

ChaosArgate posted:

Vendrick is a waaaay late-game boss, so I don't think recommending him the King's Shield is really pertinent, since he seems to be a new player.

The Old Knight's Shield is better than the Drangleic and it's actually rather easy to get. :shobon:

I also prefer the Throne Watcher's Shield to Vendrick's.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm in a section of the Huntsman corpse where theres a bonfire behind a locked door, and a cave full of skeletons that regenerate. Where is the key and how do I stop the skeletons?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Keep pushing onward. You'll find the key eventually. The answer to reviving skeletons is always the same: there's a Necromancer somewhere you need to kill.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you have the int for it, Yearn will trivialize the Executioner's Chariot fight by giving the skeletons something else to do while you hop from alcove to alcove looking for the necromancers. Alluring skulls should work as well.

The Scythe of Want's 2h R2 looks really sweet, which I presume means that it's impractical and sucks. Scythes in general seem to have gotten the shaft when it comes to movesets.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Or titanite, as I found out when I tried to leave a gift for some phantoms. Get bellkeeping for those chunks I guess.

At least you can drop upgraded weapons!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WYA posted:

I'm in a section of the Huntsman corpse where theres a bonfire behind a locked door, and a cave full of skeletons that regenerate. Where is the key and how do I stop the skeletons?

Rather than asking about it like you have everything else, try actually exploring the level.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

So. I just killed the mimic at the entrance to Aldia's Keep but aggor'd the beasts near him in the process and died before I could pick up the Dark Helmet. I respawned and went back only to find no trace of the item! Can I do anything to get it again?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

So. I just killed the mimic at the entrance to Aldia's Keep but aggor'd the beasts near him in the process and died before I could pick up the Dark Helmet. I respawned and went back only to find no trace of the item! Can I do anything to get it again?

Nope. Don't die at the same time as killing an enemy.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Dear thread: After getting my hands on the first three bigass souls, I am officially stumped. I have been down the hole, through the Bastille and the Old Iron King is now a dead Iron King. What am I missing?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Got a Fragrant Branch of Yore? Use it to depetrify the statue holding the lever back near Majula. (Leave majula, head towards the way back to the tutorial, but go right instead of left.)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Doflamingo posted:

Bonfire Ascetic and fight it again, but better this time.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
RE: only 1 Sunlight Spear per character - can I add that this restriction on charges is some buuuuuuuuuuullshiiiiiiiiitttt
My sorcerer has like 20 Crystal Soul Spear casts just because it can.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

y_3 posted:

At least you can drop upgraded weapons!

Speaking of this, I just started a new character that's going to be dual-fists (to teach me how to finally dodge correctly) all the time and would like to mule over some +10 Caestuses to him. Are there still brackets with the Name-engraved ring or does it just work regardless of SM or level?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I just started a new character...

...and they won't go through the fog gate in the forest of fallen giants. Like, they just won't go. I hit the button and the prompt goes away and the character just rubs their face on the fog like "yep, this sure is an impassable wall".

edit: I had to go back to the bonfire, sit at it, save and quit, and then go all the way back for it to work. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vanderdeath posted:

Speaking of this, I just started a new character that's going to be dual-fists (to teach me how to finally dodge correctly) all the time and would like to mule over some +10 Caestuses to him. Are there still brackets with the Name-engraved ring or does it just work regardless of SM or level?

There are still brackets. They're much wider than without the ring, but you probably won't be able to just dunk a +10 weapon over in a single move.