Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

axeil posted:

So the United States can finally get their first World Cup win? Be careful what you wish for.

I wouldn't be so sure. They've proven time and time again that guerrilla warfare isn't their strong point. There are plenty lesser nations that can put up quite a fight and deliver a potential upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Funky Koval posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. They've proven time and time again that guerrilla warfare isn't their strong point. There are plenty lesser nations that can put up quite a fight and deliver a potential upset.

Idk America is pretty good at funding guerrilla warfare world wide

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Funky Koval posted:

THE CUP'S COMING HOME TO VIETNAM MOTHERFUCKERS

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Well, if FIFA decided to get real cocky and ask the U.S. to temporarily suspend parts of its constitution like it did with South Africa such a situation would likely happen.

Considering that the parts that were suspended dealt with the right to strike and to organize protests around the stadiums, that would not be an issue at all in the US case.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Considering that the parts that were suspended dealt with the right to strike and to organize protests around the stadiums, that would not be an issue at all in the US case.
I thought there were things bout how FIFA could be portrayed in the press too.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Funky Koval posted:

Well it depends, are we allowed to start our two strikers, Fat Man and Little Boy?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Peanut President posted:

Well it depends, are we allowed to start our two strikers, Fat Man and Little Boy?

Yes you can start Jozy and Adu

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lmbo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

:vince:

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

:eyepop:

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

lol I honestly thought the OPs links were to Jozys wiki or something

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mbisonyes.gif

e: actually, the football version:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I don't see any problem with having the World cup in Winter.

In Australia.

Problem solved!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Fists Up posted:

I don't see any problem with having the World cup in Winter.

In Australia.

Problem solved!

We're having it in Winter in Brazil this year!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Nice.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Hegay posted:

The list of demands from FIFA to host countries makes even Mariah Carey blush and it just keeps getting longer so I doubt we'll get anyone but shady countries hosting the World Cup.

Remember FIFA demands full tax exemption for FIFA and people involved in hosting and staging the World Cup (for 5 years, including delegates, players, refs etc).

e: FIFA also wants the Brazil laws changed to make "ambush marketing" a crime punishable by up to a year in prison lol

The wanted special lanes on the highways in the Netherlands, that got an amazing amount of backlash.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:golfclap:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/fifa-film-tim-roth-sepp-blatter

I can't wait until they're all dead

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

:stare:

Thanks a lot City, you just financed the sequel.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Depardieu would have made a better blatter, he looks like a Hutt

Jesus that movie looks dreadful. This is like some rewriting of history where Blatters and scum are the good guys.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 22, 2014

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That's beyond parody. I refuse to believe that's a real film.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Holy poo poo I never thought I would actually live in one of those times where "the victor makes the history" applies.

In 50 years time these arseholes will probably be made into saints for their outstanding contribution to football!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nobody is going to see the film so its not like it matters.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm going to watch the film in the hopes that someone finally made a good soccer movie (they didn't)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm dumb and forgot which one was Mr. Orange. That's not the dude who cuts the random guy's ear off, that was Michael Madsen.

Still Sepp Blatter cutting off some random person's ear seems fairly likely.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

axeil posted:

I'm dumb and forgot which one was Mr. Orange. That's not the dude who cuts the random guy's ear off, that was Michael Madsen.

Still Sepp Blatter cutting off some random person's ear seems fairly likely.

Mister Orange is the cop, if I recall correctly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tim Roth is also the guy who holds up the cafe in Pulp Fiction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvMxbRCBalk

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Tim Roth was the lead in Lie to Me.

Dravs posted:

Holy poo poo I never thought I would actually live in one of those times where "the victor makes the history" applies.

In 50 years time these arseholes will probably be made into saints for their outstanding contribution to football!

This is the sort of stuff you'd see in North Korea.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 22, 2014

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

quote:

The film cost a reported £19m to make, with Fifa said to have pumped £16m into the project, and flatteringly portrays Blatter, Rimet and Havelange as visionaries and icons of the global game. Blatter himself was reported to have tweaked the script.

Oh this will be loving great

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm going to watch the film in the hopes that someone finally made a good soccer movie (they didn't)

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

“a group of passionate European mavericks” :barf:

Please die in a grease fire Blatter

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Blatter himself was reported to have tweaked the script.

I would pay $20 to find out exactly which parts he tweaked. My guess is he made the female characters dress sexier or something

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

The best part about this article is that it refers to the top prize of Cannes as the Ballon d'Or.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

quote:

Eric Cantona has claimed that choosing between Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini for the FIFA presidency would be like choosing ‘between the plague and cholera’, and feels the bureaucracy at the top level is damaging the game of football.

http://www.squawka.com/news/cantona-likens-blatter-and-platini-to-deadly-diseases/113103

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Eric Cantona is the Morrisey of soccer. What a boring oval office with his offensive outbursts haha. End of the article is also some lols.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's a French expression, are they loving stupid

It's a equivalent of "caught between a rock and a hard place".

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 22, 2014

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It's somehow comforting to know that even the French recognise that platini is a total fuckwit.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

TheBigAristotle posted:

I would pay $20 to find out exactly which parts he tweaked. My guess is he made the female characters dress sexier or something

script was basically just "Wolf of Wall Street" before Blatter's edits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Qatar World Cup: '$5m payments to officials' corruption claim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27652181

Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

The Sunday Times has obtained millions of secret documents - emails, letters and bank transfers - which it alleges are proof that the disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling $5m to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid.