Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Ordered a bunch of stuff for the BMW, oil, filters, new bulbs since one headlamp blew. It's a reputable place that has served me well before, and seem to be professional and high-volume.

Upon opening the box, I find an extra bottle, that I don't remember ordering. Further investigation revealed a printed note, saying something like: "Hello, it looks like you're doing an oil change. May we recommend XYZ oil detergent to clean out your engine. We have included it. If you want to pay for it, do this (list of instruction), otherwise just return it free of charge with the enclosed shipping label."

So I'm either to a) pay for something I didn't order and don't need or b) go through the hassle of returning something I didn't order and don't need?

I'm really confused, because they seemed to be a cool company, and I can't imagine that the person OK'ing this campaign hadn't figured out that they're essentially giving the poo poo away, so why not just do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I personally would choose Option C and let it sit on my shelf.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I'd do the same thing.

Loads of places throw a small bag of candy or whatever in the box for large orders, it's definitely not a stretch to think it was a courtesy if you never found the note.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In the UK, it's pretty simple: Unsolicited goods, it's yours now, they can't demand you pay for it. If you're feeling nice, tell them the hours you are available for them to come and collect it themselves.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

In the UK, it's pretty simple: Unsolicited goods, it's yours now, they can't demand you pay for it. If you're feeling nice, tell them the hours you are available for them to come and collect it themselves.

Same way in the states. Once you send something to someone, it's theirs, unless you go get it. Cite this page if they give you trouble:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

They are clearly being sneaky and trying to get you to pay for it just to avoid the hassle of returning it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What's the place called so I can never buy from them, because what they're doing is shady as gently caress, and outright illegal.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I'd do the same thing.

Loads of places throw a small bag of candy or whatever in the box for large orders, it's definitely not a stretch to think it was a courtesy if you never found the note.

My print lab, White House Custom Color, used to send a lollipop with each order of prints. I opened my last box and instead of a lollipop there was a business card reading "Inspected By: Stephen" with a picture of a lollipop on the back. :smith:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^Ahahaha!, that's just mean.

It's a Danish webshop (billigbilpleje.dk) so most of you will probably never have anything to do with them anyways.

It's just weird, they've been really good in the past and they seem professional and like they move a lot of volume. One time they screwed up and sent me someone else's stuff, but they promptly got a new shipment on the way and included a return label for me to send the wrong stuff back, so...

But yeah, definitely not gonna spend any time or money on them. If they want their bottle back they can come get it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

bolind posted:

So I'm either to a) pay for something I didn't order and don't need or b) go through the hassle of returning something I didn't order and don't need?
Option C: What note?

Apparently getting a German work visa is a complete pain in the rear end. Company has been working on it for the past week and a half with very little progress. They're in a lovely situation if the visa isn't granted and I can't go help out. Glad I just have to provide basic info when they ask for it.

In completely unrelated news one of Mom's dogs is having puppies Saturday. I should be flying in Wednesday or Thursday so they'll still be ugly little rats but whatever they're puppies.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

:shakes fist at people who back up without looking:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

^^^Ahahaha!, that's just mean.

It's a Danish webshop (billigbilpleje.dk) so most of you will probably never have anything to do with them anyways.

It's just weird, they've been really good in the past and they seem professional and like they move a lot of volume. One time they screwed up and sent me someone else's stuff, but they promptly got a new shipment on the way and included a return label for me to send the wrong stuff back, so...

But yeah, definitely not gonna spend any time or money on them. If they want their bottle back they can come get it.

That's where I buy motor oil, they've got the oil I use for my car+bike for ~25% less than any other place I've found, including shipping.

I've never gotten anything other than what I ordered from them. I've been using them for 3 or 4 years now, and I usually buy 10 liters of oil at once, which should definitely trigger their "he's doing an oil change" alarm or whatever.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What the gently caress is going on with the red threads at the top of the forums? Click either one, you get both messages and both Debbie Metallica and Lowtax show the same avatars... is this some type of matrix glitch?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the red threads at the top of the forums? Click either one, you get both messages and both Debbie Metallica and Lowtax show the same avatars... is this some type of matrix glitch?

Well the last time Lowtax put up a red thread it broke the phone app for a week (technically not SAs fault, I think it was a coding issue with the newest version of the app), so who the hell knows what's going on now. I'm frankly amazed the forums work even half as good as they do, running on a kludged together version of vBulletin from last century and "maintained" by Radium for all those years.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Also running on like a dozen different pieces of hardware costing a small fortune in hosting fees because Radium.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Terrible Robot posted:

Well the last time Lowtax put up a red thread it broke the phone app for a week (technically not SAs fault, I think it was a coding issue with the newest version of the app), so who the hell knows what's going on now.

Both threads are also funky when using a regular web browser.

It looks like the link is going to an announcement URL instead of a normal thread?

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm frankly amazed the forums work even half as good as they do, running on a kludged together version of vBulletin from last century and "maintained" by Radium for all those years.

Also this.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

I'd rather walk than drive one of those agai. FUUUUUUUUUUUU

It's a work car. They are using it to replace a VE Commodore Wagon which had only done 10,000kms in 3 years :(

I'd rather still have the VE, even if it is no where near as fuel efficient. We needed the wagon space for IT equipment, whereas the Cruze is a hatch back

EDIT: Forum searching hasn't worked for ages either

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been bored while running so I've been thinking of a Lexus SC300/400 with a manual swap and either a 1UZ or a 1JZ w/ a turbo.

Oh, daydreaming. :allears:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

I've been bored while running so I've been thinking of a Lexus SC300/400 with a manual swap and either a 1UZ or a 1JZ w/ a turbo.

I think the bigger problem is the manual transmission.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The back glass of my iphone broke a few weeks ago so I ordered a $15 brushed metal replacement from china. It looks pretty good. I meant to replace the camera/flash assembly while I had the back off because the flash has been broken for months but decided I could do that some other time. Two hours later on a whim I try the flashlight, and it works fine. Wtf phone. Whatever, I'll take the win.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

I don't think Ozma's made a site-wide announcement before so it probably didn't work perfectly first try.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Phone posted:

My best friend's brother had a Toyota Soarer (same as the Lexus SC) with a factory 2.5lt turbo six and manual gearbox.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Local "drifter" has an sc400 with a w58. Honestly I'm surprised it's lasted over a year and even a few drift events.

Friend sold his sc300 with a marlin crawler built r154 and a meh interior for $3300 so cheap ones are still out there.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I ran my car through the automatic wash earlier today. The one at Royal Farms actually does a pretty nice job for $8. Less than ten minutes later I got bombarded by some type of bird. I'm gonna go ahead assume that a species of bird called the gape assed car ruiner exists because the circumstances were kind of remarkable.

I was going about 60 mph when what looked like four massive globs of watered down chocolate frosty splattered across my hood and windshield. There were no wires or tree cover anywhere near me. There was nothing large enough to cause that kind of mayhem that i could see, not that i could see much through the horribleness. It couldn't have been a flock of geese either because I know what goose poo poo looks like.

Even with rain x bug cleaner juice all the wipers did was smear it around. I had to use a shop rag and about half a can of invisible glass to get rid of it. I just don't understand how one bird could contain so much poo poo, or how only a few birds could pull off such amazing grouping. So soon after being washed too. :(

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Local "drifter" has an sc400 with a w58. Honestly I'm surprised it's lasted over a year and even a few drift events.

Friend sold his sc300 with a marlin crawler built r154 and a meh interior for $3300 so cheap ones are still out there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I ran my car through the automatic wash earlier today. The one at Royal Farms actually does a pretty nice job for $8. Less than ten minutes later I got bombarded by some type of bird. I'm gonna go ahead assume that a species of bird called the gape assed car ruiner exists because the circumstances were kind of remarkable.

I was going about 60 mph when what looked like four massive globs of watered down chocolate frosty splattered across my hood and windshield. There were no wires or tree cover anywhere near me. There was nothing large enough to cause that kind of mayhem that i could see, not that i could see much through the horribleness. It couldn't have been a flock of geese either because I know what goose poo poo looks like.

Even with rain x bug cleaner juice all the wipers did was smear it around. I had to use a shop rag and about half a can of invisible glass to get rid of it. I just don't understand how one bird could contain so much poo poo, or how only a few birds could pull off such amazing grouping. So soon after being washed too. :(

Sounds like geese. Those bastards are like angry, flying poo poo-factories.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think the bigger problem is the manual transmission.

Other option is just throwing an LS3 and a T56 at it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Terrible Robot posted:

Sounds like geese. Those bastards are like angry, flying poo poo-factories.

Goose poo poo is usually green though. The Canada geese I'm familiar with anyway. They are hissing, flapping balls of winged hatred but I don't think I can blame them for this one. The poo poo I got hit with was translucent brown with a special sort of phlegmy consistency for that extra hard to clean touch. It didn't have the solid turd in the middle like typical bird poo poo either.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That makes me think carnivore/scavenger/carrion fowl. Any ravens, crows, vultures, condors, eagles, etc around your area? Probably circling wayyyyy up looking for roadkill.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Anyone remember those nissan ads in the late 90s?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

Anyone remember those nissan ads in the late 90s?

The only Nissan ad I can remember period is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V42Tbm8w2Ak

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

I love that one.

This one is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLyCDsKhGo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That and "dogs love trucks".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aYZrvG5BkY

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

I love that one.

This one is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLyCDsKhGo

I have to agree, that is fantastic.

Also, that's some ridiculous turbo-lag :mmmhmm:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Twin. Turbos. eventually Kick. In.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nissan commercials are cool and all.

Nothing beats Joe Isuzu though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFIcjfWvNYw&list=PLCRkFWhvWGbwC8KyTL8ZgmEMnAcPQmQP5

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

kastein posted:

That makes me think carnivore/scavenger/carrion fowl. Any ravens, crows, vultures, condors, eagles, etc around your area? Probably circling wayyyyy up looking for roadkill.

This is south-central PA and out in the boonies too so I'm thinking you're probably right. Lots of turkey vultures around here as well as almost everything you listed. Those buzzards are huge and fly way up there so that's probably my poo poo bird. Swabbing up buzzard poo poo was not on my list today.

They did commercials best when they were Datsun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo

THERE ARE VIRTUALLY NO OPTIONS

Grumbletron 4000 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 20, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

There's plenty of Rangers in AI (even our sexy mod has one), and I know several people who own them. The 4 cyl is slow, but solid. Not sure which V6 is the better one.

Since when did Shine a) mod AI and b) drive a Ranger? :v:

Yes, the 4cyl is painfully slow. The 3cyl Ecoboost in the Fiesta is less than half the displacement, probably half the total size, and still makes more power. But it will probably run forever.

The 4.0 V6 is the one you want, the 3.0 adds enough weight and so little power that it is mostly a 4cyl with worse mileage. I do see about 23MPG out of mine and it hasn't seen a new set of plugs and wires in who knows how long.

If you do get one, pray that the PO wasn't a fucktard when doing the water pump and slapping RTV on o-ring fittings where it doesn't belong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do 1994 and 1996 Civic body panels swap over? A friend found a dude parting out a '96 on CL and it has everything I'd need.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Terrible Robot posted:

I was thinking of this one as it seemed topical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnZhPtpibSk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

• Locked thread