Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Going back a week, does anyone know what Scott's reference to a college in Boston next to a Home Depot was about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Mad Jaqk posted:

Going back a week, does anyone know what Scott's reference to a college in Boston next to a Home Depot was about?

Harvard? People who try to fake being humble about going there just say they went to school "near Boston."

I like how Lapkus is doing a new character in nearly every other appearance especially because she's been in every other episode lately.

"Can you not say because you don't know what they are?"
"No, I know what they are..."

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Mad Jaqk posted:

It's a semi-common reference that people that went to Harvard just say they went to school in Boston so people will ask where they went and they get to say Harvard. Pretty sure that's what it's about and the home depot thing was just a throwaway line.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Trujillo posted:

Harvard? People who try to fake being humble about going there just say they went to school "near Boston."

Thoogsby posted:

It's a semi-common reference that people that went to Harvard just say they went to school in Boston so people will ask where they went and they get to say Harvard. Pretty sure that's what it's about and the home depot thing was just a throwaway line.

Oh, that makes complete sense; I was just hung up on the Home Depot reference (and, as someone who went to school in actual Boston, my mind doesn't leap to Harvard when someone mentions it). Thank you!

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Lapkus has really become a favorite in the last few months. She's fantastic.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

quote:

Researchers at the National Center for Health Statistics studied the deaths of patients admitted to a sampling of U.S. hospitals. They determined that hospital deaths accounted for 29 percent of U.S. deaths in 2010, down from more than 32 percent in 2000.
I am better at Google than both Enginner Cody (or brett not sure) and Shane Torres.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
One of the million things I love about Lauren Lapkus is how she simultaneously fully commits to a character and clearly finds what she's saying hilarious. She always seems on the verge of completely breaking but fairly rarely actually does.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I just found out that Tom Leykis is a real person.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Organic Robot posted:

The best part about Leykis on CBB is that the best lines are just quotes from the real Leykis. He's so close to the real Leykis, especially the condescending "dear" (I only know this because while carpooling to work my coworker used to listen to his show). One of my all time favorite eps was with Tom and Amy Poehler.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That reminds me to remind you guys that Leykis was on Sklarbro Country last week talking Michael Sam.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Technicality no down boo over?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Organic Robot posted:

jamesadomiantruth.org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpcdkfYxqSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpGsMenmSs

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Speaking of Adomian and Lapkus, I've been going through old Lapkus episodes that I haven't heard and I just listened the one with her as Todd, Nick Thune, and Adomian as Hoffman.

That sure was uh... something :stare: .

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I've only just listened to the first twenty or so mins of the episode (by which I mean the last five minutes of those twenty minutes because I skipped through most of the boring interview talk) and I was wondering if Lauren Lapkus' new character was related to this sketch(?) type video she did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8NlbNcT6Qw

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Man you were really excited to discuss the possible origins of a teacher character, you just couldn't wait. A lot of people listen to podcasts driving to work and I'm going to imagine you composed that on a smartphone while stuck behind a red light or maybe just in a jam, and are currently fidgeting like mad anticipating the discussion of this character's lineage.
Anyway, no doesn't look like it, the similarities are pretty superficial, and the video doesn't mention stinky chips once. Who can say what inspires the creative mind though.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

VagueRant posted:

I've only just listened to the first twenty or so mins of the episode (by which I mean the last five minutes of those twenty minutes because I skipped through most of the boring interview talk) and I was wondering if Lauren Lapkus' new character was related to this sketch(?) type video she did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8NlbNcT6Qw

They have one thing in common, guess what it is!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I could watch Huell Howser clips all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=539jdK3eN1o

Now that's an avocado eaten' dog!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

wafflesnsegways posted:

I don't know what's funnier, grown man Huell Howser's continued delight in taking two steps and asking "AM I IN MEXICO NOW???" or the absolutely humorless border officer who is observing the whole thing.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eel hovercraft posted:

Speaking of Adomian and Lapkus, I've been going through old Lapkus episodes that I haven't heard and I just listened the one with her as Todd, Nick Thune, and Adomian as Hoffman.

That sure was uh... something :stare: .

Adomian as Leykis on the episode with Maria Bramford was pretty awesome because she loved Leykis so much.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

wafflesnsegways posted:

The dude was a California institution! Everyone has their own Huell impression, but Adomian's it just pitch perfect. The inflection is big with a Huell, not just saying "wow".

My favorite Huell bit is I think from one of the anniversary episodes, where Scott keeps going "uh huh and where else have you been" over and over to try and break Adomian, but he just keeps coming up with "Yucaipa" and "Beautiful Oxnard California".

And the best California's Gold episode (after Baghdad Cafe, of course) is the one where he goes to Echo park to ride the kids trains.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I have not followed the in-fiction Huell Howser story at all. How did he end up exploring infinite universes exactly?

Also didn't realise that Adomian stopped doing the character after the real guy died. :smith:

Mr. Squishy posted:

Man you were really excited to discuss the possible origins of a teacher character, you just couldn't wait. A lot of people listen to podcasts driving to work and I'm going to imagine you composed that on a smartphone while stuck behind a red light or maybe just in a jam, and are currently fidgeting like mad anticipating the discussion of this character's lineage.
Anyway, no doesn't look like it, the similarities are pretty superficial, and the video doesn't mention stinky chips once. Who can say what inspires the creative mind though.
I listen to podcasts in small increments while I cook, while I do chores and while I poop, sir. :colbert:
(So I had finished listening for a bit and was on the forums and thought I'd post a semi-related and potentially funny video. Admittedly with a tiny pathetic tinge of excitement that no one else had thought of it.)

Punch Card posted:

They have one thing in common, guess what it is!
The grumpiness? The being-a-teacher? The being portrayed by Lauren Lapkus?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

VagueRant posted:

I have not followed the in-fiction Huell Howser story at all. How did he end up exploring infinite universes exactly?
I believe it's the 2nd anniversary, Huell and Jesse go exploring the Large Hadron Collider: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/these-times-they-are-a-changin/

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

VagueRant posted:

The grumpiness? The being-a-teacher? The being portrayed by Lauren Lapkus?

the character in the youtube video wasn't a substitute teacher. check and mate.

also she wasn't grumpy. she loved her job!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
For those who aren't U talking U2 to me listeners Scott Aukerman elaborates on Adam Scott's no show. Evidently he had a lot of guests lined up and they all no showed but only threw Adam under the bus as a joke. However he did mis characterize how he said he couldn't make it. He didn't say bro. But people took it the wrong way, well some did.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JethroMcB posted:

I don't know what's funnier, grown man Huell Howser's continued delight in taking two steps and asking "AM I IN MEXICO NOW???" or the absolutely humorless border officer who is observing the whole thing.

the best is the mexican man who makes a break for it across the border while huell is distracting the officer

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0JZszqC7mk

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Don Dimello's first appearance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yGbkEUUL1E&feature=youtu.be

Also there's a B-B-B-Bonus episode today plus Improv4Humans has Zouks, Jess St. Clair and Lennon Parham today. Happy Thursday.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

soggybagel posted:

For those who aren't U talking U2 to me listeners Scott Aukerman elaborates on Adam Scott's no show. Evidently he had a lot of guests lined up and they all no showed but only threw Adam under the bus as a joke. However he did mis characterize how he said he couldn't make it. He didn't say bro. But people took it the wrong way, well some did.

Who the gently caress isn't listening to that show? A moron?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna get there. I'm gonna gently caress Aziz Ansari. In his rear end in a top hat. And he's gonna turn around...and gently caress me in my rear end in a top hat. And if he can stuff my balls in his mouth...good for him. If he can't, I'm gonna somewhere else.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Horatio is a treasure.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

soggybagel posted:

Horatio is a treasure.

I wish I could tell myself in high school "Hey, you know how obnoxious you find Horatio Sanz for constantly breaking during SNL skits? In 15 years you're going to think he's one of the funniest comedians around."

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

JethroMcB posted:

I wish I could tell myself in high school "Hey, you know how obnoxious you find Horatio Sanz for constantly breaking during SNL skits? In 15 years you're going to think he's one of the funniest comedians around."

It took years for the fact that he was a founding member of the UCB to make any sort of sense to me.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, these were my exact thoughts. I finally get it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also realize SNL can be a constraining place that doesn't best take advantage of ones talents.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

JethroMcB posted:

Horatio and Tim Meadows are both so much better on improv4humans than anything they did on SNL.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

That's mostly what I've learned listening to these podcasts. There are all these funny people that I thought were not funny. It turns out they were just on really lovely television shows.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Horatio and Tim Meadows are both so much better on improv4humans than anything they did on SNL.

Tim Meadows FuckNook scene on I4H is incredible

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

e: wrong thread, my brain doesn't work correctly.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I've been listening to old episodes and I didn't realize how funny Colin Hanks was. I am really bummed he hasn't showed up in the last couple of months to promote the Fargo TV series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Well Tim Meadows was Dr Poop and that was great. Horatio I'll agree with.