Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ToastyPotato posted:

It might have been the Cube World thread, but I think I brought up before that a bunch of game developers had to create a support group to deal with the stress and trauma from the amount of violent threats they were receiving from people. There was an article about it somewhere.

People really don't like it when you mess with their bread and circuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 26, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

My suggestion has been to just let Braww, Sledra, and I go to town on the forums, but it has fallen on deaf ears. All I want to do is ban people SA style and make up mod challenges. :colbert:

Mod challenges for the refund manchildren would be incredible.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Eonwe posted:

My suggestion has been to just let Braww, Sledra, and I go to town on the forums, but it has fallen on deaf ears. All I want to do is ban people SA style and make up mod challenges. :colbert:

poo poo's never going to improve if you just let those people run roughshod across the community. :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I think it'll get better. Everyone on the moderation team seems to agree its a problem, but its really about handling the problem without causing a lot of drama at the same time. We'll get there!

Also, I like the goon posts in the Witchmarsh thread. There are people crying censorship and being hyperbolic that I haven't touched, so the sarcastic/smug goon posts I've also left. :getin: That being said - that isn't an endorsement to break the rules or pick on people.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Let's not be hasty, do you want to see any of these entitled fuckwads gently caress a flask full of meat?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Eat the eggs Starbound grognards.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

idonotlikepeas posted:

Or, perhaps, provide a schedule. "We'll do free updates for one year after release" or similar. (Or two years, or whatever feels appropriate.)

They (the Starbound devs) actually did say something along those lines way back when, in one of the earliest updates on the main site -- something to the effect of "we will update the game post-launch every X amount of time for Y duration, after which we will hire a group of people to handle the updates and the main dev team will move on to another game".

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Eonwe posted:

We need a better term than that. I'd suggest Grogbound but that sounds a bit much like a candidate for that pirate game's name.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Eonwe posted:

Starbound eat the egg (on my face).

On the cookie front, I don't want to disappoint anyone or lead them into thinking Chucklefish isn't grateful, but I think it's been decided that giving the office address out might be more trouble than it's worth in the grand scheme of things. I hope you understand, and I apologise for jumping the gun a bit. Personally, as someone that has skimmed the forums and seen some of the more volatile community comments, the support in this thread is very much appreciated.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Supernorn posted:

On the cookie front, I don't want to disappoint anyone or lead them into thinking Chucklefish isn't grateful, but I think it's been decided that giving the office address out might be more trouble than it's worth in the grand scheme of things. I hope you understand, and I apologise for jumping the gun a bit. Personally, as someone that has skimmed the forums and seen some of the more volatile community comments, the support in this thread is very much appreciated.

Tell them we're still giving them cookies...

...in our hearts.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Except for me, because apparently my cookies are undesirable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Starbound community is so bad that the devs are scared (rightfully so) to give out their address. :laffo:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Supernorn posted:

Unacceptable! Well, okay. I will start naming bakeries once I get home. Let me know if any of them are close enough to your office, and then there will be cookies in your name to pick up from there at a date and time of mutual agreement.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
You're going to take the goon cookies, dammit, and you're gonna loving like them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Unless we choose a bad bakery, then you can dislike them.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm torn between which is more sad. That the community is so bad that we decided to something nice for the devs in the first place, or that it's so bad that when it came time to the address part of it they wouldn't because, well...

Runner up of sadness is that I understand COMPLETELY.

I'm with Dib though. Name a cookie place in a 10 mile (wait, it's London, there's probably 12 places within walking distance) radius and there will be an order waiting to be picked up.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I'm with Dib though. Name a cookie place in a 10 mile (wait, it's London, there's probably 12 places within walking distance) radius and there will be an order waiting to be picked up.

That'll probably be enough information for some spergy, hateful poo poo to pinpoint the developer's offices and proceed to send death threats/hate mail.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This is horseshit, why don't they like cookies, i bet they're in league with satan

Copycat Zero posted:

They (the Starbound devs) actually did say something along those lines way back when, in one of the earliest updates on the main site -- something to the effect of "we will update the game post-launch every X amount of time for Y duration, after which we will hire a group of people to handle the updates and the main dev team will move on to another game".

I think they did yeah, but I guess they realized that everyone with different timezones didn't make this feasible. One step at a time.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Eonwe posted:

Oh I think it'll get better. Everyone on the moderation team seems to agree its a problem, but its really about handling the problem without causing a lot of drama at the same time. We'll get there!

Ban the people who cause the drama too. :getin:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
To be fair it's not like the Chucklefish HQ building address is actually top secret information.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

To be fair it's not like the Chucklefish HQ building address is actually top secret information.

They could be trying to politely decline cookies because they hate them (and us).

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

Is the office address the same as the trading address of the company? Because if so, that information is accessible by quite a few people. I just spent 30 seconds digging and was able to get an address near to Southwark railway station.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
We could always raise cash to have a skywriting plane draw 'MANCHILDREN SHOULD CHILL THE gently caress OUT' over London.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is "facepalm" a meme, because I just internally cringed and put my face in my hands when I read the above post.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Eonwe posted:

Starbound community is so bad that the devs are scared (rightfully so) to give out their address. :laffo:

Holding out for booze eh?

Well played.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Is "facepalm" a meme, because I just internally cringed and put my face in my hands when I read the above post.
Try :ughh:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Jesus Christ what is even going on with this game. I happily Kickstarted, had a great time playing, still feel like I more than got my money's worth if the game never progresses at all, and apparently autistic shitlords don't agree? Eat a dick. The game's fun, end of story.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I can sort of sympathize with the expectation, but not with the way they're acting. Chucklefish did make certain promises, but it can be hard to understand how unpredictable dev cycles can be and if you've never undertaken a long-term project (and I don't necessarily mean "oh you have to make a video game to understand"; even something as common as completing a university degree would probably give you sufficient insight), it can be difficult to empathize with that.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
This is generally how people act on every other gaming company's public forums so uh, no biggie really.

Starbound is awesome, I bought six copies total and I'm not sending you any cookies because people are whiny shits on the internet.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

For the want of a telephone number, the cookies were lost. It's the thought that counts, gents

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Supernorn posted:

Since you work in the same office, couldn't someone just send you the cookies/cookie money? Then no-one who doesn't already know the address needs to know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Silento Boborachi posted:

For the want of a telephone number, the cookies were lost. It's the thought that counts, gents

If random strangers on the internet sending cookies to video game developers wasn't weird and stupid, I'd agree with you.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The spiteful would've sent cookies doused in cream and other heart damaging ingredients just to somehow get back at them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

If random strangers on the internet sending cookies to video game developers wasn't weird and stupid, I'd agree with you.

Does anyone remember #TakeBackMassEffect and those cupcakes?

Because I do, it was really stupid.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Personally speaking I wouldn't trust baked goods sent to me by random people. Especially baked goods sent through grassroots internet-initiated campaigns. :shrug:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

nutranurse posted:

baked goods sent through grassroots internet-initiated campaigns. :shrug:

That sounds really loving dramatic. We were gonna send some cookies as a good will gesture. Now we're not. It was a neat idea in theory not so great in practice.

Suddenly it's "weird and stupid" or we're going to potentially poison them or... good lord.

Can we go back to making fun of idiot pubbies?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That doesn't suddenly make it not weird.

"Oh, hey, we got some cookies delivered!"

"From who?"

"Oh, y'know... some goons... somewhere..."

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Well, this is all rather disappointing. Just for future reference, if you point at a cookie or cupcake shop or something in middle London-ish and say "Put cookies/cupcakes in this chest for us that we may smash it open with our matter manipulators and reap its gooey contents." just let us know and we'll make it so. Other than that, keep on trucking? Your new office must be really exciting!

CJacobs posted:

"From who?"

I do not require internet anonymity for an eventual cookie delivery to Chucklefish. :tinfoil: they already have my contact information :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

CJacobs posted:

"From who?"

It's not really any different than sending flowers to a funeral or a wedding gift.

"We got some cookies!"

"From who?"

"The Goons"

"Oh, that was nice of them"

It's just a good will gesture.

I'll make sure to remember in the future that sending flowers/presents/baked goods is now weird.

• Locked thread