Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Most speedrunners don't consider their run secure until they make it past the Velstadt door, which they screw up a lot despite having practiced it way more times than the average schmuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Syan's reach is pretty nasty.

That and you know.

They didn't kill the bell zombie so YEAH gently caress LOAD OF GODDAMN SPELL SPEARS READY TO PUMMEL YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

Most speedrunners don't consider their run secure until they make it past the Velstadt door, which they screw up a lot despite having practiced it way more times than the average schmuck.
I find that incredibly surprising, I think I died to the door guards maybe once and I've been using the same hacked-out floorplay through the numerous times I'd died to both Velstadt and Vendrick.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Red Mundus posted:

I hate people who do the whole ~honor~ thing in the belltowers. Don't just stand there and watch! Jump in and have fun! If you want bowing and 1-on-1 fights go play with the dragonbros in iron keep. At least you get a dragon scale.

Also I love it when I invade someone in the towers and they have a white phantom helping out. More people need to play dirty and hit hard in the towers. My favorite was a phantom hiding on the roof who backstabbed me. Was proud of those guys. Ain't no honor in the towers.

Hi 5! There's nothing I love more than arriving late to the party, getting the last hit in (my only one) and doing the 'Welcome' or 'No way!' Gesture while my Bell Bro Buddy buddy Fist Pumps.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RBA Starblade posted:

Jester Thomas is this game's Iron Tarkus.

Jester Thomas is this game's Witch Beatrice :colbert:

DS2 is severely lacking in an Iron Tarkus analog.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those two dudes in front of that fog gate have killed me more times than anything else in the entire crypt, Velstadt himself included. They're such assholes that next time I'm just gonna clear out the room of enemies until they stop respawning before I even attempt the fight because I'm tired of them hitting me either on the way to the fog gate or after I have stepped through it from the other side.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Holy crap Smelter Demon gets wrecked so hard by toxic mist. You'd think the big iron demon would be immune to poison but nope. I crushed him with my CoC character just by using toxic mist and whacking him with my club. He died in like a minute. I'm not even that high of a SL for this part either.

kazil posted:

Was there any NPC summon in Dark Souls that was hilariously useless? Cause the Lone Hunter dude at the Rotten is pathetic. He just dodges into the fire pits and happily cooks himself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there no way to tell if mundane is going to make a weapon suck or not until after using the stone? I'm at 40 str/22 dex and looking at if I should make the santier's spear raw or mundane (though I probably won't put twinkling titanite into it because I need it for the BKGS).

kazil posted:

Let's agree that Jester Thomas is hard as gently caress and can wreck poo poo all day.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

CJacobs posted:

after I have stepped through it from the other side.

I knew this could happen in the first game, I didn't think this could still happen in DS2.

Also I just beat Dark Souls II. Holy loving jesus.

Now for NG+. :unsmigghh:

....wait, poo poo, now it's time for NG+ :negative:

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
The loving jumping controls in this game... I die more often to pressing the goddamn buttons and happily rolling off a cliff than I do to any enemies... give me a motherfucking jump button that I can loving press when I want to jump.

edit: is there some way to make it so that the highest risk moments in the game are not stupid jumps? Or is my controller hosed up somehow?

oneof3steves fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 20, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

kazil posted:

I got really excited when I summoned Manscorpion Tark for the first time expecting him to live up to the Tark name.

Very disappointed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Was there any NPC summon in Dark Souls that was hilariously useless? Cause the Lone Hunter dude at the Rotten is pathetic. He just dodges into the fire pits and happily cooks himself.

Summoning Lautrec or Solaire for the Gaping Dragon fight is a pretty easy way to feed it a snack and accomplish nothing else.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

CJacobs posted:

Summoning Lautrec or Solaire for the Gaping Dragon fight is a pretty easy way to feed it a snack and accomplish nothing else.

Beatrice kills the gently caress out of the Moonlight Butterfly but she just makes the Four Kings harder.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

Beatrice kills the gently caress out of the Moonlight Butterfly but she just makes the Four Kings harder.

And the Moonlight Butterfly is hilariously easy anyway, so she's essentially useless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Beatrice just saves you time. If you aren't a ranged character you have to watch that stupid moth flutter around for an hour before letting you hit it. Or you can summon Beatrice and it goes down in the blink of an eye.

I've actually invaded multiple people named Witch Beatrice, or just Beatrice. For some reason its the Dark Souls cosplay I see the most. She had a cool hat I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, the santier's spear is a beast even without upgrading. All you need is flame weapon and raw I guess. I don't think there's enough twinkling titanite in the game to max it AND the BKGS though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 20, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

oneof3steves posted:

The loving jumping controls in this game... I die more often to pressing the goddamn buttons and happily rolling off a cliff than I do to any enemies... give me a motherfucking jump button that I can loving press when I want to jump.

edit: is there some way to make it so that the highest risk moments in the game are not stupid jumps? Or is my controller hosed up somehow?

You can try the alternate controls. They still suck, but they might work better for you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So is there any way to actually check my "score" as a Blue Sentinel or Brotherhood of Blood member or am I stuck guesstimating?

Kind of annoying if the latter.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can try the alternate controls. They still suck, but they might work better for you.

Yeah I'm using them since I was "used" to them from DS1. It's just annoying that in places like iron keep the scariest boss is jumping to the dull ember... can do the actual bosses in my sleep... but no... you were running and pressed jump but this time you roll off the edge.
Ugh... gently caress it I should just quit for the night.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You... probably should try the regular controls then since they are there specifically to prevent that exact situation.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So to fight against casters with crystal homing soul mass and soul spears timed to your rolls to avoid said crystal homing soul masses, you either mash roll and hope you get lucky, fight back with your own spells/bow, or just kite and wait for them to gently caress up?

Or basically get in close and not let them cast another CHSM?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you drop your lock-on and sprint to the side, homing spells usually will miss you because they can't track at such a sharp angle, if you're not super far away that is. Rolling through them works too though.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Honestly, you can bait out the homing missiles by dodging in and out of their range. But it is a bit of a bitch to have to worry about. Just spam dodge and hope they don't hit you.

Also, Bellbroing is seriously the best thing ever. There's nothing quite like phasing in right as you seem some poor sap finish off the other grey, only to snag him out of the fog gate with a backstab.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Artificer posted:

So to fight against casters with crystal homing soul mass and soul spears timed to your rolls to avoid said crystal homing soul masses, you either mash roll and hope you get lucky, fight back with your own spells/bow, or just kite and wait for them to gently caress up?

Or basically get in close and not let them cast another CHSM?

There are two fact that work to your advantage here...

A) Souls spears take longer to cast than a roll, so you have to give them the opportunity for them to blast you with one

B) Homing souls masses do not require a roll to evade, simple strafing will suffice.

So, if you're rolling to avoid homing masses then try to stop doing that, because a caster will use that as an opportunity to time the soul spear. Instead just strafe until the soul masses fire off or expire, then charge in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Alternatively just absorb the Homing Soulmass with your Dark Infused Rebel Greatshield you keep around for hexers because it's 91% reduction to magic damage too.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I've had mixed results with the sprinting bit. I've definitely sprinted to the side and avoided GRS that passed me by 6-7 feet, only for me to topple over dead because I apparently got hit anyways??? :(

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Shindragon posted:

Syan's reach is pretty nasty.

That and you know.

They didn't kill the bell zombie so YEAH gently caress LOAD OF GODDAMN SPELL SPEARS READY TO PUMMEL YOU

Most runners do kill the bell hollow though, since it's easy with (G)RS and that has no splash to accidentally hit the bell, which in turn means they only have to deal with the Syan.

e: I guess I should qualify that as most ones that I've seen, which is just a couple of the sub-hour guys fulls runs and a few of the folks near there who've practiced it.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I wish poise wasn't basically nonexistent in pvp, I'm tired of getting stunlocked by every asshat with a thrusting sword.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

So is there any way to actually check my "score" as a Blue Sentinel or Brotherhood of Blood member or am I stuck guesstimating?

Kind of annoying if the latter.

It's pretty easy to keep track of how many duels you win as a Blue Sentinel just by looking at the number of Token of Fideltys consumed vs. Blue orbs obtained. Not really sure what the BoBs do since Tokens of Fidelity aren't consumed during duels and invasions don't count towards rank.

Artificer posted:

I've had mixed results with the sprinting bit. I've definitely sprinted to the side and avoided GRS that passed me by 6-7 feet, only for me to topple over dead because I apparently got hit anyways??? :(

What I've learned to do is just to roll during every attack because honestly there's no way of knowing how much lag is at play until after you get hit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright, here's a lore puzzle for you lore puzzlers out there: who does the Majula mansion belong to?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Alright, here's a lore puzzle for you lore puzzlers out there: who does the Majula mansion belong to?

The skeleton who lives there?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fister Roboto posted:

Since the Lordvessel is in the basement (I have seen no evidence to suggest that by the way, it's just a thing people say all the time) it's totally for sure the Chosen Undead's. After beating Gwyn and walking away from the kiln, the totally canon ending, he and Solaire (who he saved through very obtuse methods nobody would ever figure out) settled down and bought a house out in the country with their millions of souls.

Iretep posted:

The skeleton is the former owner. Solaire and the Chosen Undead had to do some real shady stuff to move in.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

argondamn posted:

It's pretty easy to keep track of how many duels you win as a Blue Sentinel just by looking at the number of Token of Fideltys consumed vs. Blue orbs obtained. Not really sure what the BoBs do since Tokens of Fidelity aren't consumed during duels and invasions don't count towards rank.

What I've learned to do is just to roll during every attack because honestly there's no way of knowing how much lag is at play until after you get hit.

Doesn't help you avoid the oncoming soul spear if you get lag-hit or hit when you're coming out of your roll by the crystal homing soul mass, though, does it? :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Iretep posted:

Then who are the other skeletons in NG+ and onwards?

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey man, housing is expensive in majula, sometimes a skeleton's gotta take on some roomies to make ends meet.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Fister Roboto posted:

Even skeletons have family.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Cross-posting this from the console thread. (Shameless self-promotion)

Van Kraken posted:

I wanted to share something I made.

A version of the Dark Souls Map Viewer that can run on Mac and Linux! It's here on Github, or by direct download. Runs on Mac, Linux, and Windows if you have Python and a web browser installed. Chrome or Firefox recommended.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Been picking away at this game and I'm... confused about some things. I was looking at the "recommended for newbies" tips in the OP and I don't follow #1 or #3 at all. I can't seem to find the places it's referring to.

Also how does durability work in this game? I see it going down and then sometimes it's back to full. Does it reset upon death?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Kaubocks posted:

Been picking away at this game and I'm... confused about some things. I was looking at the "recommended for newbies" tips in the OP and I don't follow #1 or #3 at all. I can't seem to find the places it's referring to.

Also how does durability work in this game? I see it going down and then sometimes it's back to full. Does it reset upon death?

Durability is reset when you rest at a bonfire, die, or complete a coop phantoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

It resets when you die or rest at a bonfire, unless the weapon broke completely then you'll have to repair it at a blacksmith.