Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

tjones posted:

Anyone have experience with manual cam chain tensioners and blocking the oil passage that would supply a hydraulic OEM one? I'm about to swap in an APE unit for my 09 R6.

I've read that most people either don't bother with it or use RTV/JB Weld, but neither of those options seem like a great idea. Will a hard base silicone/jb weld adequately hold up to the oil pressure over time?

I've considered tapping the passage and using a set screw, but I'm not sure how much trouble that is going to be. I'm trying to find schematics so I can properly plan for this before I start taking things apart.

The usual protocol is to use RTV on that little hole in the CCT passage. The idea of using RTV to plug an oil passage freaked me out too much on my R6 but I've heard without it the oil pressure is a little low as the CCT is getting bathed in oil that it doesn't really need since it's manual now.

Friends that have done the procedure let the RTV cure for at least 24 hours and didn't have any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What type of gas should I put in my V Star 250?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The burning kind.

Whatever octane level Yamaha recommends. Probably 87 but look in the manual.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Whatever the owner's manual calls for, which is probably going to be 87 octane (R+M)/2.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

What type of gas should I put in my V Star 250?

The lowest octane you can get away with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Alternately, try diesel! It costs about the same as regular gas but it has an octane rating of like a million or something.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Alternately, try diesel! It costs about the same as regular gas but it has an octane rating of like a million or something.

If you're talking non-gasoline fuels there's only one possible option

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Recently I've noticed my engine making an odd noise. It was overdue an oil change so I did that yesterday but it hasn't had any effect on the noise. I never seem to notice it when I start the bike up but by the time I get off it's very noticeable so I think it might be related to heat? I've only started noticing it recently as it's warmed up weather-wise. Fuel chat got me curious so I looked in the manual for my bike, since I got the bike in mid March I've done about 1400 miles, all of it on regular but the manual says premium only. The bike is a 2006 Yamaha MT03, a 660cc single that I'm pretty sure America never got but hopefully someone knows something about it.

I recorded the sound on my phone, took a video too. The sound on the video isn't great, but the audio is a bit clearer. Both recordings start off at the exhaust before moving to the engine because I wasn't sure how well the mic on my phone would pick up the separate sounds and I didn't want the exhaust sound to be confused with the noise I'm talking about.

Here's the video: https://mediacru.sh/vIblgGudQpwu

And the the audio: https://mediacru.sh/LZ9-XfodH5px

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It sounds a lot like this issue (a known issue with the 660cc engine), get it fixed as soon as possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyk4PWGVQgw

If you catch it in time, you won't have to replace woodruff keys, gears etc., only tighten the nut up with some loctite applied and the lock washer.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Did the multimeter diode test on my r/r. I think it's fried according to that super handy fault finding pdf someone linked before. Still gonna post for a sanity check, it's possible I'm doing something wrong.

Black multimeter lead to negative output wire: 0v for all three wires
Red multimeter lead to negative output wire: ~0.48v for all three wires
Red multimeter lead to positive output wire: 0v for all three wires
Black multimeter lead to positive output wire: ~0.48v for all three wires

Made extra sure the leads were actually contacting right and everything.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Clymer or haynes manual for a gen 2 KLR?

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 19, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Did the multimeter diode test on my r/r. I think it's fried according to that super handy fault finding pdf someone linked before. Still gonna post for a sanity check, it's possible I'm doing something wrong.

Made extra sure the leads were actually contacting right and everything.

R/Rs basically cannot be effectively tested statically - you need to test them under electrical load. What voltages are you getting with the bike off/on/running at idle/reved to 5k?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

A little better since I replaced the battery (doesn't drop under 11 while starting, for example) but still a little high on the revving end according to the ninja wiki. I think like 14.2v.

Actually looking at some youtube videos it looks like there's supposed to be a 0v readout where I got it. :shrug: I don't know what to belieeeve

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not convinced you have / still have an actual problem

E: other than perfectly normal bike hypochondria I mean

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A little over 14 is probably fine - I would just ride it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're really concerned, just replace the R/R anyway. I can't imagine it's a super expensive part given how common Ninjettes are.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Alright, cool. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't destroying my brand new battery by running it along with bad components.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not convinced you have / still have an actual problem

E: other than perfectly normal bike hypochondria I mean

Well, the catalyst for all this freaking out was definitely not bike hypochondria. Still not sure I solved the problem, but... it's hard to force yourself to go on a long ride when you nearly stranded yourself cuz the bike poo poo the bed last time.

e. solution: circle neighborhood 100 times

Spacely Sprockets
Nov 4, 2013
Can anyone reccomend a service for having a bike shipped across the country ?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Spacely Sprockets posted:

z3n's professional state-to-state riding service. :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Spacely Sprockets posted:

http://www.funtransport.com/

These are the guys that shipped my Futura for me. Super professional and careful. They weren't the cheapest, but the cheaper guys were all much sketchier. Also they gave an AMA discount that covered the cost of joining - if you're already a member that's a little off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Alright, cool. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't destroying my brand new battery by running it along with bad components.

Well, the catalyst for all this freaking out was definitely not bike hypochondria. Still not sure I solved the problem, but... it's hard to force yourself to go on a long ride when you nearly stranded yourself cuz the bike poo poo the bed last time.

e. solution: circle neighborhood 100 times

It's possible that your poking and probing for inspection's sake has fixed the problem without you knowing. Unsatisfying, I know, but it happens more than I care to admit.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, I learned how to use a multimeter, so it's not completely unsatisfying! :toot:

Also made a family's worth of new friends, who came over to chat after the 6th time they noticed me laboring under the noonday sun, frantically flailing ratchets and battery leads while cursing under my breath, wild eyed. The very picture of approachability

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 20, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

If by 0v you actually mean OF or OL, those are correct working numbers. Like Z3n said, though, the real test is the voltage it's putting out to a good battery.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What are some tricks that the rest of you have for getting a stop light to register your presence? I'm in Los Angeles and I have been constantly getting stranded at red lights because my bike, DRZ 400S, isn't heavy enough to trigger the sensor. I stop in the center of the sensor marks and I even go as far as to put down my kickstand and rock on the panel, which I had heard works. Nothing. I've waited for minutes at lights with no results, which has resulted in me making some pretty questionable* turns. How do you deal with it?

*The question is whether or not a cop is watching.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I hear neodymium magnets somewhere on the bottom of the bike work well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If by 0v you actually mean OF or OL, those are correct working numbers. Like Z3n said, though, the real test is the voltage it's putting out to a good battery.

Says .0L, guessing that applies.

M42 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 20, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

What are some tricks that the rest of you have for getting a stop light to register your presence? I'm in Los Angeles and I have been constantly getting stranded at red lights because my bike, DRZ 400S, isn't heavy enough to trigger the sensor. I stop in the center of the sensor marks and I even go as far as to put down my kickstand and rock on the panel, which I had heard works. Nothing. I've waited for minutes at lights with no results, which has resulted in me making some pretty questionable* turns. How do you deal with it?

Unless America is really weird the sensors work off induction, not weight as commonly believed. Get a more ferrous bike you pansy!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

M42 posted:

This, or just go when there's no traffic.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Unless America is really weird the sensors work off induction, not weight as commonly believed. Get a more ferrous bike you pansy!

This, seriously. Maybe put a steel skid plate under it? My GS tripped every light until I put a full exhaust on it and then tripped none, even the gate to get out of the parking garage at my old apartment. Between that and the noise I was happy to put the stock system back on.

I've never tried magnets though. Maybe that would work.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Don't stop your bike in the center, stop it with the engine right over the ring of sealant in the pavement. That ring is covering a magnetic induction coil looped under the pavement, getting as much iron over the loop itself will set it off. I've done this ever since I started riding and I've yet to have a light not trip for me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

M42 posted:

Says .0L, guessing that applies.

If you use the diode check mode, it should beep when you touch the leads to each other, meaning continuity. If it doesn't beep when you're testing those diodes themselves, then it's fine. Beep is bad in this case.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hey so this is a very dumb question but I'll ask it anyway because it is the first time it's occurred...

Today I went to board gaming night at a friend's house. It dropped to about 57 F during the 4 hours I was there and lightly dew/misted all over my bike. When I went to leave I full choke'd it until I could apply some throttle in neutral without it dying. After about 500 feet and in third, the engine died while I was shifting down to 2. After this is took a solid 5 minutes of applying varying amounts of choke and hitting the starter to get it back into warm up phase. After I let it sit for a solid 4-5 minutes at full choke though it was fine the rest of the way home.

This is purely because it was a cold engine right? I just needed to warm it up a little bit longer the first time? I'm guessing I downshifted wrong and stalled the engine instead since I was rolling off the throttle at the same time too.

I kind of rushed the first warm up because I wanted to get out of my friend's neighborhood since the full choke was pretty loud and it was midnight.

Atleast the electricals didn't blow up, pretty happy about that since that means I wired them up well :sun:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Don't stop your bike in the center, stop it with the engine right over the ring of sealant in the pavement. That ring is covering a magnetic induction coil looped under the pavement, getting as much iron over the loop itself will set it off. I've done this ever since I started riding and I've yet to have a light not trip for me.

I'll give that a shot, though I think I've done it in the past with no result. Is there a chance that the height of my bike is the problem? I'm pretty sure my ground to engine clearance is a lot higher than the average bike.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is what I've always done with my Ninja 650 and I very very rarely have any problems triggering lights.

You can almost always see the sealant where the induction coils are. Just sit right on top of them.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Your bike is new, correct? So, assuming your carb and battery are fine, it may have been operator error. Did it just suddenly die when you downshifted, or did it chug and stall because you were going too slow?

And as for the hard-starting, you may have actually been using too much choke. 57 degrees shouldn't really require more than 50-75% choke, but I don't know how DRZs operate specifically.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Razzled posted:

Hey so this is a very dumb question but I'll ask it anyway because it is the first time it's occurred...

Today I went to board gaming night at a friend's house. It dropped to about 57 F during the 4 hours I was there and lightly dew/misted all over my bike. When I went to leave I full choke'd it until I could apply some throttle in neutral without it dying. After about 500 feet and in third, the engine died while I was shifting down to 2. After this is took a solid 5 minutes of applying varying amounts of choke and hitting the starter to get it back into warm up phase. After I let it sit for a solid 4-5 minutes at full choke though it was fine the rest of the way home.

This is purely because it was a cold engine right? I just needed to warm it up a little bit longer the first time? I'm guessing I downshifted wrong and stalled the engine instead since I was rolling off the throttle at the same time too.

I kind of rushed the first warm up because I wanted to get out of my friend's neighborhood since the full choke was pretty loud and it was midnight.

Atleast the electricals didn't blow up, pretty happy about that since that means I wired them up well :sun:

Uh, you really shouldn't need full choke for very long, just to get it started. As soon as its started fiddle with the choke so that the bike is at its normal idle, full choke is ridiculous.

For example, on a cold day the first time I have to start my bike I will put it on full choke before starting it, hit the starter and then immediately I can turn the choke down to half otherwise it just sits there revving its tits off. Within about a minute I can completely shut off the choke and it'll idle fine.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Shimrod posted:

Uh, you really shouldn't need full choke for very long, just to get it started. As soon as its started fiddle with the choke so that the bike is at its normal idle, full choke is ridiculous.

For example, on a cold day the first time I have to start my bike I will put it on full choke before starting it, hit the starter and then immediately I can turn the choke down to half otherwise it just sits there revving its tits off. Within about a minute I can completely shut off the choke and it'll idle fine.

Ah okay, I thought that but for a little bit if I pushed it to half choke after starting it would just die. It took some fiddling to get it to idle at half.

@AncientTV
Did it just suddenly die when you downshifted, or did it chug and stall because you were going too slow?

Now that I think about it, it definitely chugged and stalled because I was going too slow.

Sounds like I just didn't do the warm up right. I'll re-read the owners manual tonight.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Chichevache posted:

I'll give that a shot, though I think I've done it in the past with no result. Is there a chance that the height of my bike is the problem? I'm pretty sure my ground to engine clearance is a lot higher than the average bike.

My KLR and my sumo always had trouble with some lights. Most lights, stopping over the coil works, but some are just really poorly calibrated. I've seen a product that's essentially a big magnet you zip tie to your bike. Does it work? I don't know.

Razzled posted:

Sounds like I just didn't do the warm up right. I'll re-read the owners manual tonight.

You'll learn to listen to what your bike is telling you soon. Every bike is a little different.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chichevache posted:

Either run the light if you wait and it's safe, or wait for a car and motion for it to pull onto the sensor. Everything else is voodoo I think. I have one I run everytime at night cause it's a left hander off an exit ramp and the bike doesn't register. Otherwise I usually just have to motion to the car behind me to pull up cause they leave too much space between us at stoplights.

Running the light is slowly being made legal in states around me, but not mine. They have crazy requirements that I don't actually do, like waiting 2 or 3 minutes, but they at least let you do it. Technically if I don't see a cop and do it, I'll get busted if he's a cockhole.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 20, 2014

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Traffic light coils are inductive loops, they only care about the mass and affinity for magnetism of the object in their boundary. Technically the most effective thing would be strapping a bigass chunk of iron to your bike, but it would be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

Ah okay, I thought that but for a little bit if I pushed it to half choke after starting it would just die. It took some fiddling to get it to idle at half.

@AncientTV
Did it just suddenly die when you downshifted, or did it chug and stall because you were going too slow?

Now that I think about it, it definitely chugged and stalled because I was going too slow.

I think the issue is that your bike knew you were off to do board-gaming and did everything in it's power to stop you so you could find something else to do, like go for a bike ride.