Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tortuga arrived from Queen Games the other day (I was out, had to wait until today to collect it).

CMON have already got the surveys out for Dogs of War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Minion has really surprised me by breaking through the 38k barrier with only 5 (now 4) hours to spare! That unlocks one of the expansions, which we'll vote on with a post-funding survey. There's either It's Too Cute or Gravediggin', both of which are pretty self-explanatory. But whichever expansion wins, 2 cards from the other expansion will be included for free as a bonus.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know someone was looking for a review of Endless: Fantasy Tactics, so here is one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbh8q00yVX4

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otlgames/the-miasma-war-endless-fantasy-tactics

The campaign is about half way through and almost funded. The only thing the campaign lacks is a promise of more gel models!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mehuyael posted:

Minion has really surprised me by breaking through the 38k barrier with only 5 (now 4) hours to spare! That unlocks one of the expansions, which we'll vote on with a post-funding survey. There's either It's Too Cute or Gravediggin', both of which are pretty self-explanatory. But whichever expansion wins, 2 cards from the other expansion will be included for free as a bonus.

I have no idea how, but Minion ended up with a bit over 45k, which unlocked some more free cards in the base set. Really huge jump of support in the end.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Project Pantheon is a new line of minis by Oathsworn, starting with Odin. This one's intended to be an extremely small-scope KS for just Odin. They've been pretty on-point with their previous Kickstarters, so I anticipate them shipping on time. The only bad thing is the price. With the exchange rate, it comes down to over thirty bucks for the mini, or forty if you include shipping. To be fair, it's a somewhat large figure, and it's a great sculpt. It's just a question of how great it is to you.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rise to Power is currently at 90% funding with 13 days to go. The creators just put up an update which has a gameplay demo, and also introduces some rule changes.

I think that Kickstarters like Lagoon just really spoiled me on things. I guess not all games can be huge instant funding successes.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Rise to Power is currently at 90% funding with 13 days to go. The creators just put up an update which has a gameplay demo, and also introduces some rule changes.

I think that Kickstarters like Lagoon just really spoiled me on things. I guess not all games can be huge instant funding successes.

Rise to Power has been on my watch list I just can't decide if another card game is worth $30. with or without my help the game is almost guaranteed to be funded.

I guess I should watch the new video and read the updated rules.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

LordAba posted:

I know someone was looking for a review of Endless: Fantasy Tactics, so here is one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbh8q00yVX4

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otlgames/the-miasma-war-endless-fantasy-tactics

The campaign is about half way through and almost funded. The only thing the campaign lacks is a promise of more gel models!

This game was such a no-brainer to me I'm surprised they seem to be the only ones doing something like it. Did an interview with them this morning; the amount of models they're looking to pump out for this is fairly impressive for a production team that consists of three friends with too much free time.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Adept Nightingale posted:

This game was such a no-brainer to me I'm surprised they seem to be the only ones doing something like it. Did an interview with them this morning; the amount of models they're looking to pump out for this is fairly impressive for a production team that consists of three friends with too much free time.

Cool, I'll post the interview on the kickstarter comments! Yeah, the campaign is a bit slow right now... it's very "old-school" so it doesn't involve a million models for free, or feature large breasts, which hurts the numbers.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wick's sentient magic item game, Wield, just went live on kickstarter.

The guy can be very... Wick... But his fulfillment was top notch for Wicked Fantasy. And the pdf tier is only $5, which is basically an impulse buy given the interesting concept.

Oh and it's not d20.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2006204732/wield-a-little-game-about-ancient-powers

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's an interesting idea!

But the problem with Wick is knowing that the mechanics will likely range from unsatisfying to :psyduck:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rise to Power just reached its funding goal of 12k AUD! Now there's a bit more than 11 days to get some stretch goals, which all look pretty nice to me.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's an interesting idea!

But the problem with Wick is knowing that the mechanics will likely range from unsatisfying to :psyduck:

It's also funded already. :stare:

I guess Wick has the fanbase, at least!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, it's $4K, so it's not exactly reaching for the stars, but it's fair enough.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spincut posted:

It's also funded already. :stare:

I guess Wick has the fanbase, at least!
I wouldn't consider myself a Wick fan by any stretch, but I'm in for (at the moment) $25. I may go back down to $15 or $5, if I have second thoughts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I think most know despite the games he's associated with being some of my all time favorites I'm no Wick fan (I think in the last F&F thread I implied I'd like Wick to choke on his own cock at one point?), that said the concept is really cool and I had no problem kicking in 25 bucks to see that. Like Dwarf said maybe I'll have a moment of 'what the gently caress am I doing this is Wick we're talking about this is gonna suck dick' and drop down to 5 but I can see why this concept appeals to RPG nerds regardless of the name behind it.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Wick is like a personified poo poo mine, where sometimes there's this awesome, awe inspiring diamond in there but by god wading your way in to find it is a chore.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I'm interested in this. I wonder if Mark Diaz Truman is handling the administration of the funds and fulfillment again like he did with Wicked Fantasy since I feel like that's a big part of why that Kickstarter went so well overall.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Speaking of John Wick, there's a KS up for a sourcebook/expansion/complete overhaul of his Sengoku-era RPG, Blood & Honor. Except now it's more middle Tokugawa to early Meiji-era Chanbara action fare and is generally improved in every way.

Blood & Honor: A World of Dew

Mark Diaz Truman is handling the KS side of things, and John's providing personal support to the project, but the author is a guy named Ben Woerner. He's a first-timer, but I was in a playtest of the game at a convention this past October and had an absolute blast. Ben also doesn't have the sort of, let's say, "personality issues" that have given Wick such a bad reputation. Plus I'd say the mechanics used for Blood & Honor (along with several other Wick RPGs, like Cat and Houses of the Blooded) are fairly good, probably because he keeps them simple.

One of the (already met) stretch goals is making an additional expansion, dealing with Japanese supernatural horror. Don't know how good it is but it's free with every tier. Speaking of, the original Blood & Honor is included alongside World of Dew in PDF format at every tier, so you don't even need to own the original game to pick this up. At :10bux: for the PDFs, it's pretty reasonable.

(Disclaimer: I happen to be real-life pals with Ben Woerner, Mark Diaz Truman, and yes, even John Wick, so I will admit to possible bias here, judge for yourself, mileage may vary, etc.)

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Blood & Honor continues to be named the same as the Hitler youth motto, I see.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Backing Wield gets you the playtest PDF immediately, too.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Go RV! posted:

I backed Billionaire Banshee a few days ago. SU&SD mentioned it in their news post, and it looks like a cute alternative party game to playing CAH yet loving again.

The guy running it sent me a personalized thank you message with a stupid pun using my last name. :3: I love it when a Kickstarter is just a dude who is super psyched to be doing it.

Reposting this from a few pages back, because it's the last 37 hours. It hit its funding a few days ago, but the first stretch goal is more cards in the game, which is always nice.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Dungeon Crawl Classics is running a KS for an adventure that involves some cardboard wheel puzzle. $30 for a DCC adventure with a gimmick isn't that great, but the more stretch goals they unlock, the better it's getting.

Also you can add old DCC adventures for $8, which is a pretty decent deal considering shipping is free with the KS stuff.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Not to clog the thread, but if anyone pledged to the Robotech KS and is having second thoughts, PM me, please.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I didn't pledge, but now you've got me curious. :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's either collecting more packages from people with justifiably cold feet, or organising an equally justifiable class action :v:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Surveys for the Metal Beards kickstarter have been sent out, I've had my dwarves already picked out but those new zeppelins look great :3:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Copper Country: Life Work Profit Death

A heavy euro game where you wager your workers lives against more profits before the copper veins run dry. BGG appears to have favorable reviews, and Eurogamer appears to like the mechanics.

I'm excited because I'm a Yooper and I want to see some local kids do good. Plus, it looks like it oughta be a decent innovative euro with area control and risk management.

Worth checking out if you're a history buff, a eurogamer, or from Michigan. Chances are you'd know someone who likes this game.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 19, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rise to Power has broken though its first 2 stretch goals very quickly considering how long it took it to reach funding. The 2 unlocked SGs are the Advanced Agenda mini-expansion, which adds the aforementioned advanced agendas, which are harder to complete, but give bigger rewards (if I understand right, some rewards will even be given in the middle of the game, maybe there are private agendas and public agendas?), and the Variant Power Plant mini-expansion, which adds more advanced power plant cards for players to start with. They provide different amounts of starting draw power, hand size and grid size, and can also be upgraded to provide better bonuses and even a unique action for the player.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So my friendly local game store, Black Diamond Games, is having a kickstarter to help fund their game room expansion project. It's obviously of very limited appeal to people who don't live near the store, but one thing I think is interesting is that Gary has some high-end reward tiers that involve him doing consulting work for your own game store. Gary's Blog is a font of knowledge and wisdom (and occasional grognardy opinion) about running a game store that has attracted a fair amount of attention in the game business world (and on these forums).

If you don't live in the SF Bay Area and also don't run a game business, this KS is probably of no interest to you, but there's a few of us around so I figured it was worth a mention.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

This hits some median between "really silly" and "really fun" that I like: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/east-texas-university-savage-worlds

Not too familiar with Savage Worlds, though I wouldn't have pegged it as a rules base for an urban fantasy/horror style game.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Savage Worlds is a rules base for any type of setting, from Fantasy to Sci-Fi.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

This hits some median between "really silly" and "really fun" that I like: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/east-texas-university-savage-worlds

Not too familiar with Savage Worlds, though I wouldn't have pegged it as a rules base for an urban fantasy/horror style game.

Curious if East Texas Baptist University might kick up a stink about the name and topic of the game?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
This is more a display miniature than a gaming mini, but we might have some painters here who'd be interested. Very Scandinavian looking trolls.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JackMann posted:

This is more a display miniature than a gaming mini, but we might have some painters here who'd be interested. Very Scandinavian looking trolls.

Man, I love Paul Bonner's art, but these trolls aren't doing it for me. I wish this KS was for something that looked like his old Ork Madboyz.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is such a stupid, weird, niche, idea.

I'm in.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Leperflesh posted:

So my friendly local game store, Black Diamond Games, is having a kickstarter to help fund their game room expansion project. It's obviously of very limited appeal to people who don't live near the store, but one thing I think is interesting is that Gary has some high-end reward tiers that involve him doing consulting work for your own game store. Gary's Blog is a font of knowledge and wisdom (and occasional grognardy opinion) about running a game store that has attracted a fair amount of attention in the game business world (and on these forums).

If you don't live in the SF Bay Area and also don't run a game business, this KS is probably of no interest to you, but there's a few of us around so I figured it was worth a mention.

Hey, I was just down there for a Warmachine event like, a week ago! It was a really nice store! I should probably support this KS, even though I'm not really local (Sacramento)

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

These guys are a little far for me, but I have to say the few times I've been it was great. In for a few bucks, at least.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Leperflesh posted:

I don't mean to be a jerk, but if he was really good at running a game store, wouldn't the store just be profitable enough to expand on its own? If I'm starting a game store, do I want the advice from the person who needs to crowdfund to expand? Or do I want the person who's business model is successful enough that they didn't need to ask for community support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sarx posted:

I don't mean to be a jerk, but if he was really good at running a game store, wouldn't the store just be profitable enough to expand on its own? If I'm starting a game store, do I want the advice from the person who needs to crowdfund to expand? Or do I want the person who's business model is successful enough that they didn't need to ask for community support?

You're not a jerk for asking, but you should definitely read the last two pages of his blog, because he goes into a lot of detail about this exact topic.

The gist is that adding gaming space, in reasonably urban (and therefore costly by the square foot) retail, does not have sufficient ROI to justify the total cost of the expansion. So he's got business loans that are justifiable from his projected increased revenue, and the rest has to be crowdfunded.

His business is successful enough that he could expand by opening a second store. But he discusses why he doesn't want to do that (he enjoys running a store, and does not enjoy managing store managers).

This discussion is worthy of the game business thread, if you want to go into more detail.

• Locked thread