Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Color photography cannot be art, plebe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

try it with a lime posted:

what the gently caress is art

poo poo people hang on walls to cover up other, unwanted things.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VendaGoat posted:

poo poo people hang on walls to cover up other, unwanted things.

Did your parents festoon you with prints and tapestries as a child? :v:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

8th-snype posted:

Did your parents festoon you with prints and tapestries as a child? :v:

It was a dark time in my life. :v:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Newton

Kertesz

Whole buncha photographers looking like "oy vey this schmuck on the other side of the lens" http://everyday-i-show.livejournal.com/250716.html

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

There's this Swedish guy I came across elsewhere online, and his stuff just really blows me away. I feel like he's too good. There's obviously a lot of post, and I feel like he takes it right up to the line right before it becomes "too much post", but I don't think crosses it. His composition is incredible though. Really talented dude. He's got sharing restricted on his flickr, so you'll need to just take a look.

"Ricky"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55582829@N05/sets/

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

There's this Swedish guy I came across elsewhere online, and his stuff just really blows me away. I feel like he's too good. There's obviously a lot of post, and I feel like he takes it right up to the line right before it becomes "too much post", but I don't think crosses it. His composition is incredible though. Really talented dude. He's got sharing restricted on his flickr, so you'll need to just take a look.

"Ricky"

lol

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Well, explain to me why I'm an idiot, then, instead of laughing like a pretentious dick. I'd love an opportunity to learn something.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

because you posted thomas kinkade's flickr account

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

when I read things you write, I imagine a man with a guitar string tied to a butt plug and his dick, trying to get a boner hard enough to strum a tune with.
why would you want to hate things that people want to love
is art just lovely opinions by assholes?
are you representative or a tainted outlier

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helmacron posted:

when I read things you write, I imagine a man with a guitar string tied to a butt plug and his dick, trying to get a boner hard enough to strum a tune with.
is art just lovely opinions by assholes?
are you representative or a tainted outlier

He is probably representative of people who want more from photography than overprocessed photos of conventionally pretty scenes with boring compositions, yes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Helmacron posted:

This but unironically.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tuxedo Gin posted:

"Ricky"

Yeah his photos are really nice. It's crazy that he can just roll up to Rome on vacation and crank out an album like this one https://www.flickr.com/photos/55582829@N05/sets/72157626702187792/. This shot is really nice: https://www.flickr.com/photos/55582829@N05/5712449082/in/set-72157626702187792

Then again maybe it's not that hard to grab that stuff if you're in a beautiful spot and keep an eye out.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Well, explain to me why I'm an idiot, then, instead of laughing like a pretentious dick. I'd love an opportunity to learn something.

You're right, I apologize. I'm usually late to the dogpiling party on things like this, so I got excited at the opportunity to lol.

If you are new to photography, I think the best thing you can do is just lurk in these forums for awhile. You'll see the same arguments spurred by posts like yours spring up again and again, and you will be challenged by photography that lacks ostensible prettiness that you're used to seeing in so-called "good photography." The flickr account you posted is fine, but his photos don't seem to venture beyond prettiness. Perhaps you're attracted to the photos more because of the subject matter than the photography...the places he's visited do look very nice, sincerely. I'd like to visit some of those places and see the same sights.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Most of them are completely unremarkable, there are some relative gems but none of them are super interesting and they're almost all overprocessed.

edit - digging deeper he really does have a few shots that shine far and above the rest, but the majority seems like filler

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 19, 2014

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Helmacron posted:

Why do you assume I hate it? The guy wanted to know why people were laughing at his post. As others have said, the photos aren't particularly compelling and the bar should be set higher in a thread meant to inspire people to hopefully do better work.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Tuxedo Gin: you should go through the Landscape thread from start to finish, it seems to be the type of photography your into, it'll challenge your idea of what a landscape can be and plus it will hopefully challenge you a little as to what you think a good/interesting picture is.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I see zero 6x6 or 4x5 photos taken in the parking lot of an abandoned gas station somewhere in the midwest with a portra tones in the late afternoon sun.

Downvoted.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 20, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I see zero 6x6 or 4x5 photos taken in the parking lot of an abandoned gas station somewhere in the midwest with a portra tones in the late afternoon sun.

Downvoted.

This but unironically.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

from Todd Hido's "Excerpts from Silver Meadows"

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 20, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I unironically love Brooke Shaden's work. And she seems nice and genuinely passionate about making her arts, if a bit wrapped up in the whole ~*foLLoW yOuR dReAmZ*~ that seems to be a common theme amongst the creativelive/seminar selling crowd.

historical context

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

ansel autisms posted:

historical context

Hey now, you guys converted/bullycurated me from saturated sunsets to #teamdeadpan.

I really like this series by Sean Schmidt. I can't really explain why, but it's something about the stillness and 'ordinaryness' of them.

http://www.burnmagazine.org/essays/2013/03/sean-schimdt-an-american-matter/

Esp 2, 9, 14.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 20, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Hey now, you guys converted/bullycurated me from saturated sunsets to #teamdeadpan.

This but unironically.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

None of your examples are deadpan or banal or whatever the gently caress you wanna call it. (I generally don't enjoy really banal stuff)

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 20, 2014

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Can we take out the photos from this thread somehow and sticky the rest?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

lol

I looked at some of the sites posted recently here and found myself falling on the side of the documentative, "dead empty place" stuff. I guess cause I'm from that kind of place in America. Photographs that show reality, especially unusual or visually interesting subject matter, are my jam.

I know next to nothing about photography as an art form, nor do I understand what makes a photograph sell. When I look at the Brooke Shaden stuff, it makes absolutely no sense to me, it's so excruciatingly contrived and false. How people could see those images and think "Yeah, this speaks to me on an emotional level" is beyond me, or maybe I don't know enough about the business and they're not meant to appeal in that way, maybe they're supposed to just be fantasy novel covers, but the books and prints links on her site say otherwise.

Anyway, I like this guy, Milan Bures:

That's beautiful. Hido is consistently good as far as I've seen.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I went to the Ragnar Axelsson exhibition at the Reykjavik Musem of Photography yesterday. He's been a photojournalist for the Icelandic newspapers for years, and you might know him from the documentary and book The Last Days of the Arctic.

This first picture is one of my absolute favourites, and I got to see it printed about two metres wide. Gave me goosebumps.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

http://www.alexprager.com/#!/photography/Face-In-The-Crowd

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

http://hyperallergic.com/137324/photographs-of-the-ecological-healing-of-wwii-bomb-scars/

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Mods. Rename thread to: Taste Makers Batin' Club. No girls allowed.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
No, just post more photos from awesome photographers please.

Trent Parke is an Australian photographer.

His black and white work is very well known but his more recent colour stuff is also incredible.

You can also watch this short doco about him http://vimeo.com/6831560

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think these are beautiful:

Sian Davey: Looking for Alice

quote:

This series is an illustration of family life - all the tensions, joys, ups and downs that go with the territory of being in a family. My family is a microcosm for the dynamics occurring in many other families. We are no different. As a psychotherapist I have listened to many stories and it is interesting that what has been revealed to me, after fifteen years of practice, is not how different we are to one another, but rather how alike we are as people. It is what we share that is significant. The stories vary but we all experience similar emotions. We are all vulnerable to feelings of anger, grief and depression. The list goes on...

My daughter Alice, born with Downs Syndrome, is no different to any other human being. She feels what you and I feel. However, our society does not acknowledge this and her very existence is given little or no value. Alice has entered a world where routine genetic screening at twelve weeks gestation is thrust towards birth prevention rather than birth preparation. Whilst we make our selection and decisions in private, the effect on society is that ninety two percent of Downs Syndrome babies are terminated at the pre-natal screening stage. Indeed, prior to the introduction of screening, children such as Alice would have been severely marginalised and ultimately institutionalised and given little or limited medical care.

I was deeply shocked when Alice was born as an 'imperfect' baby. It was not what I had expected. Our first experiences in hospital did little to diffuse this. Examining Alice the paediatrician pulled back her legs, pushed her thumbs deep into her groin, and promptly announced that we should take Alice home and treat her like any other baby. But she didn't feel like any other baby, and I was fraught with anxiety that rippled through to every aspect of my relationship with her. My anxieties penetrated my dreams. I dreamt that Alice was swaddled in a blanket and that I had forgotten all about her. I unwrapped the tight bundle that she was nestled in, to feed her, only to discover that she was covered in a white fluid - a fluid of neglect; and yet I was unable to feed her, unable to respond to her basic needs.

On reflection I saw that Alice was feeling my rejection of her and that caused me further pain. I saw that the responsibility lay with me; I had to dig deep into my own prejudices and shine a light on them. The result was that as my fear dissolved I fell in love with my daughter. We all did.

I wonder how it might be for Alice to be valued without distinction, without exception and without second glance.

This project is for her, for Alice.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Thank you for sharing this. This one almost made me cry.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
The Inspired Eye blog just pointed me to Satoki Nagata's fantastic flash-powered street photography. Amazing stuff, so cinematic.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Why are 'cinematic' and 'painterly' sought after qualities in photography?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Blame buzzfeed.

I don't like them. I get what went into making them, but that's not enough for me. I saw this in 300 and Sin City.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Cause painting and making movies is hard, while any chump with a camera can take photos :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cinematic is often used when a photo tells a story in one image. Like a scene from a movie, but in one frame. It's a compliment to the story-telling aspect of a photo. Others use it to describe the aesthetics of a photograph, the lighting, staging, etc. I use it when both are present. Whether or not that's a good thing depends on the genre for me. I often like "cinematic" street photography more than candid portraits, but I don't like the over-done light everything cinematic style (if you want to call it that) that got really big in commercial stuff a while back. It does seem to be over used by a lot of photographers describing themselves though.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
This guy http://eliotdudik.com/ is cool.

• Locked thread