Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
DON'T TOUCH THE BELL DON'T LOOK AT THE BELL DON'T COME NEAR THE BELL DON'T THINK ABOUT THE BELL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
on keyboard W+H (or whatever your attacks are bound to) will do a guard break, useful against anyone hugging shields.
One advantage with the keyboard is that you can do jump attacks and guard breaks on demand by just pressing 2 keys at once, or 1 if you got a autohotkey setup.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Red Mundus posted:

After five different characters and a few playthroughs I still find the FotG the hardest part in the game. There's something about the enemies in there that just kick my rear end. Amana? No prob. Iron keep, sentinels? No issues. but fotg? Oh poo poo, here we go.

Their attacks just seem to have really wonky hitboxes. The shield dudes are the worse.

I know what you mean, they seem to have some insane tracking on their attacks too which is a pain at low agility.

edit: Also the 2h sword guys who instantly start their triple stab.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Red Mundus posted:

After five different characters and a few playthroughs I still find the FotG the hardest part in the game. There's something about the enemies in there that just kick my rear end. Amana? No prob. Iron keep, sentinels? No issues. but fotg? Oh poo poo, here we go.

Their attacks just seem to have really wonky hitboxes. The shield dudes are the worse.

Yeah, the shield guys still get me to attack when they raise their shield instead of going around and backstabbing them since I think that since I'll be hitting them in the chest that actually means something.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
There's something about the shield and spear guys in Forest of Fallen Giants. Their shields block so much damage and they seem capable of attacking while still having their shields up, even though the animation doesn't quite reflect that fact. So whenever I run into them I start unleashing on them expecting them to go down quickly, but instead they block and stab-combo me to death.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Ariong posted:

I just summoned a guy who did what seemed to be a normal attack with a dagger, but it put me into a stagger animation from which he could instakill me. What allowed him to do that, so that I can keep an eye out for it in the future? I'm glad I first encountered it with a summoned spirit rather than an invading one.

Did you have your shield up? I'm guessing you got guard-broken or got the last of your stamina drained while blocking.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So hey this thread moves fast and I don't read/post on every page of it because I played the console version to death before it even came out but has anything other than a few cut lines of dialogue and some missing items been found by the people datamining the PC files? Like really crazy poo poo or anything

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

DON'T THINK ABOUT THE BELL

:ohdear:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There's something about the shield and spear guys in Forest of Fallen Giants. Their shields block so much damage and they seem capable of attacking while still having their shields up, even though the animation doesn't quite reflect that fact. So whenever I run into them I start unleashing on them expecting them to go down quickly, but instead they block and stab-combo me to death.

It's really annoying because their shield block is literally not animated. Sometimes they are blocking when they do the stab thing or the shield slam, sometimes they aren't. it's loving bizzare.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: You went the wrong way to get the ring; turn left instead of right.

I also think that ring is really unimportant.

Oh wow. I stated a new character and I literally just realized that I entirely forgot about that ring, mostly 'cause I don't need it much.

Anyway I have two old whips and a few Channelers Tridents. I'd be happy to unload that onto any kind soul who happens to want, say, a monastery scimitar? I'm around 500,000 souls, but I've been saving up my hard souls so I can go up if needed and with the name ring the tiers are pretty liberal. A forlorn hope, I know, but I'm literally decked out in channelers tridents and old whips so take them off my hands. I also have a Demon's Great Hammer if for some reason you wanted that, but I can't imagine why.

E: I should probably leave my steam id shouldn't it steamcommunity.com/id/theironrose

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 20, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So the moonlight greatsword appears to be a bit poo poo. Probably because I run out of stamina after 3 swings since my END is so low. I assume a homunculus mace or something with a magic infusion would be a lot more effective?

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 20, 2014

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yep. It sucks.

Specially that attack where they basically move their shields in an angle to their backs leaving their hearts open for stabbing but oh my god i'm doing no damage

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

ropa posted:

Specially that attack where they basically move their shields in an angle to their backs leaving their hearts open for stabbing but oh my god i'm doing no damage

Yeah, that's the one. I keep thinking they're open to attack because they look like they should be, but nope, bounce harmlessly off of the shield they're not even pointing at you. Then they stab you. Freaking bizarre, those enemies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh wow. I stated a new character and I literally just realized that I entirely forgot about that ring, mostly 'cause I don't need it much.
I have no idea why it's the #1 tip in the OP, unless it's a meta joke on Dark Souls advice occasionally being aimed at killing other people.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PublicOpinion posted:

Did you have your shield up? I'm guessing you got guard-broken or got the last of your stamina drained while blocking.

I did have my shield up, and it did look like a guard break animation, but my stamina bar was full the whole time.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Ariong posted:

I did have my shield up, and it did look like a guard break animation, but my stamina bar was full the whole time.

Getting guard-broken leaves you open for a riposte. You gotta be super careful of when you're blocking in PvP.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Nobody loving told my mythas bent blade does poison AND :toxx:

:getin:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ariong posted:

If you get guard-broken you get guard-broken. They don't need to stamina drain you for that.

Being stam-drained will also result in you being "stunned" and open for a riposte, but being guard-broken is its own thing.

e; are the bluecop rank requirements really 50/150/500? :wtc:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 20, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I have no idea why it's the #1 tip in the OP, unless it's a meta joke on Dark Souls advice occasionally being aimed at killing other people.

I'm sure it's helpful to literal newcomers who don't know the series at all and will thus die all the time, but frankly I'd say that "You can wear four rings!" is probably more valuable advice given that I was in the Giant Memories before I realized you can actually, y'know, wear four rings and not just two a la DS1. Needless to say, even on the first playthrough, the ring didn't get a lot of use.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

You know, even using PC master race magic to depress the buttons instantly with literally no delay or flaws every time

Jump attack still only works about 50% of the time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There isn't as much point to any of those rings really since summoning unhollows you and losing souls isn't too important. I've been using the covetous gold serpent ring for lack of anything else really useful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm sure it's helpful to literal newcomers who don't know the series at all and will thus die all the time, but frankly I'd say that "You can wear four rings!" is probably more valuable advice given that I was in the Giant Memories before I realized you can actually, y'know, wear four rings and not just two a la DS1. Needless to say, even on the first playthrough, the ring didn't get a lot of use.

Better advice would be to drop a small summon sign.

And I had a very similar problem with rings; was half a dozen zones in before someone told me I could wear 4.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am sorry, but how was it not obvious that you can wear four rings?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Michaellaneous posted:

You couldn't in either previous game and people assume they were slots for something else?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"2 rings only" is a pretty standard gaming thing, including in previous Souls games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

You couldn't in either previous game and people assume they were slots for something else?

"Cool, there's two empty slots in my inventory that have been there the entire game. I'm not even going to press A on them to see what they do, I'll just assume that they're magically going to fill themselves up at some point."

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"Cool, there's two empty slots in my inventory that have been there the entire game. I'm not even going to press A on them to see what they do, I'll just assume that they're magically going to fill themselves up at some point."

I kinda assumed they were akin to the second arrow/bolt slot, mainly because I was an idiot who didn't realize that I needed to press RT. Besides, there are usually slots I leave empty in DS2 and the fact that it's right by the weapons doesn't help matters. Honestly, it slipped my mind most of the time.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I picked up on it right away but because I am not an autistic robot I can use my mind to understand the thought processes of others and see why people might not.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LISA NEEDS BRACES

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wasn't aware there was anybody who didn't realize there were two extra ring slots underneath the two on the top row.

They have icons and everything.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Four ring slots.

Yet I have ten fingers.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Michaellaneous posted:

I didn't know that you could wear four rings until I was past the Lost Bastille. Like others have said, two rings had long since been a staple of the series.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Even if it was the staple of the series, Two Weapon slots were a staple of the series before -- what did you think that third weapon slot was this time?

That's just like a new level of oblivious.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

laplace posted:

Even if it was the staple of the series, Two Weapon slots were a staple of the series before -- what did you think that third weapon slot was this time?

I...I just didn't notice, okay? :negative:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

laplace posted:

You can't use all three weapons at once though.. I glanced at it, assumed it was for some kind of gear switching thing (like the other alternate slots), and didn't think much more of it since at the time I didn't have any rings.

I mean, I felt stupid when someone told me, but it's clearly something that has happened to other people as well.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I want to be able to wear every ring. Ten fingers, ten toes. Heck, I'd wear four rings per finger if they were all magic. Who needs fine motor skills when you're chucking lightning everywhere?

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

After a suggestion in this thread I lowered my framerate to 30 fps, and it's definitely affecting guard breaks and lounging attacks! I could hardly ever do a correct guard break at 60 fps, but at 30 fps I can chain them flawlessly, so... it's a really weird oversight from From.

If you ever want to use guard breaks or lounging attacks, lower your framerate! .) The question remains if this affects dodging and backstepping, but that's obviously kinda difficult for someone like me to test.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Four ring slots.

Yet I have ten fingers.

also ten toes, several slots worth of ear space and a dick!

Invincibility will be in my grasp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

also ten toes, several slots worth of ear space and a dick!

Invincibility will be in my grasp.

I have no dick. :( I will be forever a noob.

Unless I use the coffin...