Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Did my first 3 PVP fights today at around level 70. Won them with all liberal use of lightning spear destruction. Hail the lightning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Since there seem to be a few people who've played it in here: in King's Field 4 is there some way to get turning on the right stick instead of just looking up and down? These controls are so jackassed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Since there seem to be a few people who've played it in here: in King's Field 4 is there some way to get turning on the right stick instead of just looking up and down? These controls are so jackassed.

You could probably gently caress around with the emu controls to get that to work, nothing in-game tho.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Genocyber posted:

You could probably gently caress around with the emu controls to get that to work, nothing in-game tho.

Welp. I'm playing on actual hardware. I guess I could try binding look and turn to the face buttons like some dumb psp game, then.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cowcaster posted:

No neat dragon body with the fancy hat of your choosing.

Oh, I wouldn't say that...

Thank you for the inspiration. Should be a fun project.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I keep trying to stick with it but the whole "catalysts in the left hand" playstyle feels completely awful and I don't know how anybody can stand it. I like having one hand be the dedicated attack button and the other is typically my shield, or bow for sniping. Sadly it makes weapon buffs impossible, but the main one I use is the Moonlight Greatsword anyway and it's not like I can buff that so :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cyberventurer posted:

I keep trying to stick with it but the whole "catalysts in the left hand" playstyle feels completely awful and I don't know how anybody can stand it. I like having one hand be the dedicated attack button and the other is typically my shield, or bow for sniping. Sadly it makes weapon buffs impossible, but the main one I use is the Moonlight Greatsword anyway and it's not like I can buff that so :v:

Play like Gandalf: staff in one hand, sword in the other, fall off bridges all the time.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Low level PVP will always be the most boring because the majority of people you invade are so terrible that there's no real effort involved.

Actually most people with low sm are gimmick builds at this point. Hell, I'm doing the same. Currently dressed as Jesus helping fight gargs with people such as: Goku, Another less impressive (imo) Jesus, Saytan, Havelyn noob, Jesters, and in one case an anime character I didn't recognize.

A few people are clearly new players but even then you get the same skill level players mostly throughout sm levels. It's only when you get to top tier that things get really stale.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Play like Gandalf: staff in one hand, sword in the other, fall off bridges all the time.

Truth. The short sword is amazing for this. Great moveset for casters. That's how I'm keeping my paper-weak Jesus alive.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 21, 2014

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
As I never got to play DS1 on consoles and only played it on PC at about the second or third time it went on sale, were there any indications on how to unlock the DLC when it launched due to it's really obtuse method of unlocking them (same with the painted world really). Did console players have to fork over $15 and then spend a few days while the community tried to figure out what it did?

It sounds dumb as hell really, but i'm kinda hoping there is still some sort of super complicated set of steps to unlock a new area in DS2.

At the very least I hope we get DLC for DS2 at some point, if only for more item descriptions as i'm a total sucker for the lore in these games, and maybe scorebooks for the blue + red phantoms to track how close they are to the next tier.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

You can actually put your catalyst in either hand, so long as the weapon it's buffing is (obviously) in the opposite hand.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I might give it another try later on, but to be honest I hate rolling all the drat time. I like to at least mix it up between blocking and rolling.

I'm very good at falling off bridges, though, so at least I have my foot in the door.

Colapops posted:

You can actually put your catalyst in either hand, so long as the weapon it's buffing is (obviously) in the opposite hand.

Yeah but then that means I'd either have to carry around two catalysts, one in each hand, or use it solely for buffing weapons because it'd go in the same hand as the shield and I'm too OCD about mixing it up like that. :saddowns:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Low level PVP will always be the most boring because the majority of people you invade are so terrible that there's no real effort involved.

I don't know man, after a while of playing in arena, and then starting NG+ I'm not really having a lot of fun with it as a pure melee guy. Masters of everything and annoying to deal with items like Santier's Spear and it's ilk. When my main PC was down over the weekend I had a ton of fun just slumming it with low level co-op and low level PVP against Butterfly Men.

NG+ bosses are pathetic so far; but those new phantoms in Heide's are interesting... well they would be if they wouldn't pull of stupid and impossible inputs and stamina drain chain combos.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Worth sharing from Reddit -- someone took some really amazing panorama shots.

http://imgur.com/a/7cFxS

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I got sick of losing my humanity while PvPing so I decided to join the dragon covenant. I never imagined so many people would stand right at the spawn and try to kill me instantly, never having once done it myself.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
From Software please put instant-toxic debuffs on Havels / Santier's / Avelyn for wielding them. Then maybe we can PVP and it will be good again. I just want to use Chameleon and Lingering Flame and be a cool sneaky invader is that so hard? :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Night Blade posted:

I don't know man, after a while of playing in arena, and then starting NG+ I'm not really having a lot of fun with it as a pure melee guy. Masters of everything and annoying to deal with items like Santier's Spear and it's ilk. When my main PC was down over the weekend I had a ton of fun just slumming it with low level co-op and low level PVP against Butterfly Men.

NG+ bosses are pathetic so far; but those new phantoms in Heide's are interesting... well they would be if they wouldn't pull of stupid and impossible inputs and stamina drain chain combos.

NG+ is a joke in general. Always has been in this series, most of the game is figuring out how to get through it. Once you know, 90% of the difficulty fades away. Some of the super easy bosses get interesting after a while though, ng++ Prowling Magus has actual magic resistance worth a drat and no longer dies to one swing of your sword! It's still not hard, but I could see people dying to it. And the Skeleton Lords are actually really fun when you can't just straight murder everything in one hit (the lords themselves just barely survive Sunlight Spear by that point). Killing the lords in ng++ and kiting around all the skeletons was some of the most fun I had against a boss in the entire game.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

dis astranagant posted:

Map the right stick to function as the triggers if you are using an Emulator.

If not, nope. Have fun! (you may be able to map rotation on the face pad, though, and switch attacking to the triggers to sort of emulate a dual stick setup)

E;fb. That being said: good job on finding a copy as it's actually quite the rare game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Decrepus posted:

I got sick of losing my humanity while PvPing so I decided to join the dragon covenant. I never imagined so many people would stand right at the spawn and try to kill me instantly, never having once done it myself.

Yeah, there are some real assholes. Especially the ones that buff/cast beforehand and then rush you immediately once you spawn so you can't prepare in return. Ah well. Keep your chin up, dragonbro.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There's something about the shield and spear guys in Forest of Fallen Giants. Their shields block so much damage and they seem capable of attacking while still having their shields up, even though the animation doesn't quite reflect that fact. So whenever I run into them I start unleashing on them expecting them to go down quickly, but instead they block and stab-combo me to death.

this is pretty easy, you lure the stab and then wait for the three animation and run and hit twice, roll out. they'll keep trying to do the 3 stab animation.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

o muerte posted:

Well, she's definitely not Sharon Stone that's for sure.

It...it's a guy.

Dirty Job posted:

What armor is that?

Looking glass body, hexer gloves (hurrah for asymmetry!), Agdayne's kilt

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Decrepus posted:

The funniest part is how it never works, since the game gives you just enough of an invincibility period that you can easily roll away.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

How does this not apply to high level PvP? People are poo poo no matter how far into the game they happen to be.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Opposing Farce posted:

I like powerstanced curved swords and daggers. Fun 2-hit L1 combos, fairly speedy, and really good for stunlocking and critical hits against enemies that're vulnerable to them. Dex builds are fine, they just aren't as ~optimal~ as magic builds so people are down on them.

My first character was a melee guy and i didn't know what I was doing so i kinda screwed him up, missed a bunch of areas due to not paying attention (like pursuer then bastile without doing anything in between).. second character i made was a mage guy.. it was so loving easy that I remade a melee character and stuck with that ever since.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

How does this not apply to high level PvP? People are poo poo no matter how far into the game they happen to be.

I find players are generally get more skilled further on, or at the very least have enough stuff to make up for a lack of it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

You don't really need a shield. They don't do a whole lot on PvP and if you're good you can dodge around in PvE.

Having a shield+staff is good for hiding and shooting bolts at the game's laughable AI but that's about it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bobnumerotres posted:

You don't really need a shield. They don't do a whole lot on PvP and if you're good you can dodge around in PvE.

Having a shield+staff is good for hiding and shooting bolts at the game's laughable AI but that's about it.

Unless it's the Rebel's Greatshield, that is.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah, while you can neuter a whole slew of things in PvE with a good heavy shield, using one in PvP is generally way more of a liability than a asset.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, while you can neuter a whole slew of things in PvE with a good heavy shield, using one in PvP is generally way more of a liability than a asset.

Unless you're parrying, but in any case nobody I've asked seems to know if the Target Shield is, in fact, superior to say, the Magic Shield, for that purpose.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Artificer posted:

Unless you're parrying, but in any case nobody I've asked seems to know if the Target Shield is, in fact, superior to say, the Magic Shield, for that purpose.

The target shield and buckler shield specifically have bigger parry windows than all other shields.

However, curved swords have less lag for their parry to start than either of them, which is actually leagues better for parrying in PvP.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you're willing to eschew your Havel's and get some Agility so you can move and roll like human people, it's kind of surprising what you can do without a shield in PVE too. Sometimes I think new players get stuck because of their reliance on blocking rather than being dodgy or aggressive.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

I might give it another try later on, but to be honest I hate rolling all the drat time. I like to at least mix it up between blocking and rolling.

I'm very good at falling off bridges, though, so at least I have my foot in the door.

Yeah but then that means I'd either have to carry around two catalysts, one in each hand, or use it solely for buffing weapons because it'd go in the same hand as the shield and I'm too OCD about mixing it up like that. :saddowns:

Because the quality of the catalyst is irrelevant to weapon buffs, you could simply put the most basic level-0 sorcerer's staff in your shield hand to buff your mainhand weapon, and have your "real" catalyst in the mainhand as well.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

The target shield and buckler shield specifically have bigger parry windows than all other shields.

However, curved swords have less lag for their parry to start than either of them, which is actually leagues better for parrying in PvP.

Is that so? Well I can't use a Monastery Scimitar and the Red Rust Scimitar is a bit heavy to be a secondary off-hand weapon, so maybe I'll go find myself a normal scimitar...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Artificer posted:

Is that so? Well I can't use a Monastery Scimitar and the Red Rust Scimitar is a bit heavy to be a secondary off-hand weapon, so maybe I'll go find myself a normal scimitar...

Someone pointed out to me after I mentioned putting in the 22 dex to specifically to use the monastery scimitar: you actually don't need to be able to wield the weapon properly to parry with it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Opposing Farce posted:

I like powerstanced curved swords and daggers. Fun 2-hit L1 combos, fairly speedy, and really good for stunlocking and critical hits against enemies that're vulnerable to them. Dex builds are fine, they just aren't as ~optimal~ as magic builds so people are down on them.

Nah, Dex is actually kinda screwed. Dex weapons are great, but Dex itself is bad.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Someone pointed out to me after I mentioned putting in the 22 dex to specifically to use the monastery scimitar: you actually don't need to be able to wield the weapon properly to parry with it.

Huh. What does not meeting requirements do? Slows down attack animations or just destroys the damage capabilities of the weapon?

Edit: Doesn't it do absolute poo poo for damage, even for curved sword standards? So there's no reason not to cart one of these little guys around purely for parrying purposes?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 21, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

molluskmoth posted:

Mainly used by speedrunners, but probably an annoyance for pvp soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAe442j4eB8

Binoboosting.

It's also really, really hard to pull off .

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Artificer posted:

Huh. What does not meeting requirements do? Slows down attack animations or just destroys the damage capabilities of the weapon?

For some weapons it doesn't seem to alter the animations, it just cripples the damage and greatly ups the stamina consumption. For other weapons (mostly 2h weapons that I've seen) it slows their attacks to a crawl while crippling the damage and upping the stamina use.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Artificer posted:

Both.

Although the swings for some reason are more forgiving than Dark Souls' "I'm dumb and can't swing this!!" animations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cowcaster posted:

I don't agree with this. For the most part shields in PvP aren't very good but some can be very strong in certain situations. The aforementioned rebel's greatshield is great at shutting down all kinds of magic. A dark transgressor's shield has 100% dark magic resist, making it great against hexer's. Watcher's Shield is the same against lightning. So the vast majority of shields sucks, but certain ones can be really good for blocking specific types of damage. You just can't rely on them to defend against nearly everything like you can in PvE.

A lot of people that use shields suck, but I've fought some really good players that made effective use of their shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Taking NG phantoms into ascetic'd Velstadt.

Now we discover who are the grown-ups and who are the casul babbies. :getin: