Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

One of the gameplay mechanics is literally "moe fetish." That is the actual loving mechanic name.
:stare:

I'm hesitant to, but CS Lewis' monologue on men and curiosity and a spiral of self-destruction and all that, so I'm gonna have to ask you to elaborate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

One of the first image searches is CGs of the girls covered in a substance that is in no way meant to resemble semen. Game looks cool as hell and I've changed my mind. Preordered.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The White Dragon posted:

I'm hesitant to, but CS Lewis' monologue on men and curiosity and a spiral of self-destruction and all that, so I'm gonna have to ask you to elaborate.

No comment

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Oh loving hell. Here goes.

So one of the core mechanics in the game is "Captivate."

Every enemy has a "moe" which represents a 'personality type' they like, such as sadist, masochist, bipolar, ditz, ect. You appeal to their moe by selecting a personality type (which changes your character's clothing and dialogue lines) and then selecting fetishes that appeal to that personality trait. Again, this is all literal descriptions of the mechanics. They are called "moe" and "fetish."

It also means that you quite literally spend most of your time in the game making a creepy anime girl beg monsters to do "wh.. whatever they want to me" in a 'seductive' voice for power-ups.

Also you do all this so you can power up your giant robot with the eventual end goal of sticking underage anime girls in a coffin that tentacle-molests them because this is loving Japan.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 21, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Oh loving hell. Here goes.

The witch has been roused, I guess :barf:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not sure whether that gif or Imp's description is creepier.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

No comment

I'm so glad that Japan is making full use of the Vita's features.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Also you do all this so you can power up your giant robot with the eventual end goal of sticking underage anime girls in a coffin that tentacle-molests them because this is loving Japan.

I'm sorry, what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm sorry, what

I swear not a word of that is made up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

No comment

When is the oculus rift support? :japan:

americong
May 29, 2013

I'm gonna make my first post on SA in about a year to cry about my first experience with an older JRPG.

A couple days ago, I picked up Final Fantasy 6. I got through a decent chunk of it over a couple days, eventually getting to Zozo.

I played poorly in Zozo, nearly wiping on the area boss. I made it through, however, and sat through the long cinematic sequence. Then, I wandered in Zozo a bit, looking for a heal, I think. (I didn't know that KOed characters get revived to 1 HP after that fight.) A couple encounters later, I just leave Zozo, with only a couple characters alive and no Phoenix Downs. No problem, I figure, the next town is just a couple screens away.

I forgot to save as soon as I got to the world map, (obviously) wiped after a couple random encounters, and got stuck with a save right outside of Zozo. An hour or two of progress lost.

The worst part is, I'm sure most actual RPG fans did this sort of thing a few times - when they were twelve.

Oh, uh - wonderful game, other than that. I'm actually beginning to like the idea of ATB, as opposed to the strict turn-based I've experienced with Pokemon and the CTB of FFX/LOTR:TTA (which I loved, although I guess one tends to love what they are exposed to first).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zozo was a loving nightmare when I was a teenager and FF6 was the first JRPG I'd ever played. I was pretty dumb and didn't realise the game actually expected you to waste a turn using your healing spells, though. :rolleyes:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I died to the loving whelk of all things, but then again I was like, 9? Never played a turn-based RPG (or well, ATB) at that point.

"Why can't my robots move, what's that stupid bar mean?!"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I would sacrifice any number of you strangers for a remake of Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. Even just a port to Steam.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Final fantasy six is an ok game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

V-Men posted:

I would sacrifice any number of you strangers for a remake of Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. Even just a port to Steam.

Yes, but only if it gets similar treatment to Tactics Ore on the PSP. That's how you do a remake.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

V-Men posted:

:v:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Elminage Gothic is coming to Steam (!) this Summer.

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/ghostlight-descends-into-the-dungeons-of-tsun-kurn-to-bring-elminage-gothic-to-pc

quote:

When we first spoke about bringing JRPGs to Steam, one of the things we were excited about was that if JRPGs were successful for us, we might get the opportunity to bring over games that had never been released outside of Japan before. Well, I’m pleased to say that we’re now starting to make good on that opportunity.

That’s because later this year we’ll be bringing the classic Japanese dungeon crawler, Elminage Gothic, to PC. Elminage Gothic, originally known as Elminage Gothic: Ulm Zakir to Yami no Gishik, is the 4th entry in Starfish SD’s popular Elminage series of dungeon crawlers, originally released in Japan for PSP in 2012 and on 3DS in 2013.

Some of you might remember the original Elminage game, which we released in Europe last year on PSP. The game is currently available on PSN but the boxed release was a highly exclusive offering, with one of the smallest, if not the smallest, PSP print runs ever. Only 300 very special limited edition physical copies were ever manufactured!

For those of you who enjoyed it, I’m pleased to say that Elminage Gothic offers the same classic old school dungeon crawling experience but adds a darker, more gothic twist to the game’s theme and art style. It features multiple character classes, hundreds of stunningly designed monsters, creatures and demons, well over 80 hours of gameplay and it even goes right down to including the traditional “THAC0” system (which certainly takes me back!) If you’re like me, then I’m sure you’ll agree that there’s a definitely a simple pleasure in delving deep into dungeons searching for hidden treasures and slaying monsters!

Plus, if you’re a fan of the incredibly popular Wizardry series of dungeon crawlers, you’ll be pleased to hear that Elminage Gothic is very reminiscent of those Wizardry titles. It’s not surprising really, given that the development team at Starfish were also behind the Wizardry Empire games (the last of which, Wizardry Empire III: Haō no Keifu, released on PSP in Japan in 2007, just a year before the release of the first Elminage game on PS2).

Here's an old trailer for the 3DS version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7jFo9-zPww&hd=1

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Are Ghostlight a lovely developer in general or was it just the one Devil Survivor that they royally hosed up?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

They're kind of lacklustre. Mostly, they're okay as long as they're not using in-house translations, which are the worst I've ever seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

They're kind of lacklustre. Mostly, they're okay as long as they're not using in-house translations, which are the worst I've ever seen.
How bad are their in-house translations? Stiff and awkward bad or "Gentlemen don't like violence but love the violence of words. Prepare for word torture! I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored!" bad?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

How bad are their in-house translations?

Notably, the retail Record of Agarest War PS3 version in the UK was missing punctuation, capital letters and any sense of grammar for about 40% of the game. Seeing dialogue lines like '...... im okay' in a full-price product was surreal as hell. Guess they didn't expect anyone to bother to stick with it. :v:

After that, they started purchasing the right to use XSeed localizations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So what improvements does Gothic have over Original? Will we still be able to do face or music load?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Stelas posted:

Notably, the retail Record of Agarest War PS3 version in the UK was missing punctuation, capital letters and any sense of grammar for about 40% of the game. Seeing dialogue lines like '...... im okay' in a full-price product was surreal as hell. Guess they didn't expect anyone to bother to stick with it. :v:

After that, they started purchasing the right to use XSeed localizations.

I think my favorite example will always be that they, somehow, managed to translate "Fourth Generation" in a series of five generations as "Force Generation".

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Levantine posted:

So what improvements does Gothic have over Original? Will we still be able to do face or music load?

I sure hope so. Trying to get Face/Music Load to work for Original on Vita was a pain.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Endorph posted:

"Gentlemen don't like violence but love the violence of words. Prepare for word torture! I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored!"

Lines like this are literally why I like fifth-gen JRPGs.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

How bad are their in-house translations? Stiff and awkward bad or "Gentlemen don't like violence but love the violence of words. Prepare for word torture! I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored!" bad?

Liz and Ard's translation is fantastic, and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BloodWulfe posted:

Liz and Ard's translation is fantastic, and I will hear nothing to the contrary.
It is kind of fantastic how the entire game descends into nonsense every time they're on screen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Levantine posted:

Yes, but only if it gets similar treatment to Tactics Ore on the PSP. That's how you do a remake.

I think 75-95% of the changes they made in updating LUCT for PSP was great, but things like failure chances in making items and how leveling and grinding skills worked was so loving tedious it made me stop the game altogther.

Agreed that an update to Black Queen would rock my world. gently caress, I'd take an Ogre Battle styled spiritual successor kickstarter at this point.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there anything in particular I should spend my BP on in Parasite Eve?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Endorph posted:

It is kind of fantastic how the entire game descends into nonsense every time they're on screen.

The bold absurdity that comes from directly translating Japanese puns is enlightening, really.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Damage on your main weapon. Which you really want to be a machine gun because they're the fastest guns.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Weapon damage is the most useful. Item space isn't very useful because of the game length, but if you're just playing through it casually for the first time then it's nice to not always juggle your inventory.

It's worth noting (because the game doesn't explain it) that more shots are not straight up x2/x3/etc your base damage. One shot weapons are full damage, but it breaks down from there:

2x is 60% per shot
3x is 42%
5x is 25%
7x is 18%
10x is 13%

So while it may seem like more shots are a good investment they really aren't beyond 3x. In fact, 5x is actually 1% less total damage than 3x, and 7x is the same total damage as 3x. Going 10x is technically the most damage at 130%, but it's super slow and you'll be vulnerable for a long time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I see. Thanks, is ATB worth upgrading or does it scale horribly?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

ATB and item capacity don't carry over to NG+, your best weapon and armor do. Also the base weapon type you're using has a greater effect on how fast your bar fills than the stat.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Covered above, but even disregarding the NG+ carryover the ATB boosts aren't very significant relative to the investment. I'm still of the opinion that item capacity is nice if you're just playing through for fun and not looking to minmax your NG+ stuff. You'll get a lot of stuff that eats up inventory space quickly.

Each weapon has four different speed values, but the short version is that it goes machine guns > handguns > rifles > shotguns in terms of speed. I can break down all of the mechanics if you want but maybe that's not super fun for a first/returning playthrough. :shrug:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And let's not forget the terrible grenade launchers that I recall being even slower than shotguns.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is NG+ actually worth doing? I was mostly just going to jump to PE2 when I was finished unless NG+ adds something substantial.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
They're sooo slow! You have to fire six shots to beat the shotgun by 0.1 seconds, and at that point you're already doing things wrong. It you find a grenade launcher with an effect you want it's always better to copy it over rather than, y'know, launch grenades.

Parasite Eve is an awesome game with some wonky mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is NG+ actually worth doing? I was mostly just going to jump to PE2 when I was finished unless NG+ adds something substantial.

New Game + features a new optional 100 floor dungeon with a bunch of new equipment, some new monsters, and a new ending which is the canonical one for Parasite Eve 2.

You can look up the last online if you really don't want to do the dungeon but it is fairly substantial in terms of extra content.