Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

FourLeaf posted:

No I'm not? He's saying that TMM was "racebaiting" when it had a guest on that said the Martin and Davis cases were fueled by racism against black people. Like it's ridiculous that a Latino person could hold racist preconceptions about a black person.

I said they oversimplified ethnicity and overplayed the whiteness of Zimmerman to create a narrative. The guest didn't say it was racism, he said white people as a whole are afraid because we have a black president.

Of course I think Latinos can be racist, anyone can be racist. But when you describe Zimmerman as "white" but Obama as "black" I think you're using a double standard to fuel a narrative, and I expect better from NPR.

Edit: Also to all the "it's ETHNICITY not RACE GAWD" posts, I'm pretty sure you understood my post but decided to argue against my semantics rather than my point. If you guys are so anal now I can't wait until I discuss my support for eugenics with y'all.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Dahbadu posted:

So earlier in thread I talked about making a website based off this thread, asking for the goons' blessing. I got it up and running over the last 2 days. Here's the link: http://www.everythingisscrewed.com/

In terms of the current categories and posts within, it's more of a proof of concept. Right now, the posts are just stuff I plagiarized from Fried Chicken.

A couple things of note:
- FB comments integration is set up for posts
- The graphics aren't done and I haven't tweaked the .css yet
- I still need to do some security work on it to prevent SQL injection
- I don't plan to monetize the site in any way
- I'm purposely avoiding claiming authorship for any of the content

Why I'm posting now, is because earlier today I wrote an essay of sorts for the site. I thought I'd run it by you guys.

I am genuinely struggling to tell if this is parody or not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BUSH 2112 posted:

African-American can mean any American of african descent. The term "Black" in America means "descendant of african slaves." At least, that's what they taught us the official definition was when I took diversity classes for the education program at school. :shrug:

So Obama's not black. Sounds like your classes sucked poo poo.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
People call Obama black because, even though he is biracial, he prefers to be considered black. Also, many Americans are conditioned to the One Drop Rule.

People call Zimmerman white because he's white.

Job Truniht posted:

Even if Zimmerman was hispanic, that didn't stop all the racists from flocking in and saying he was an "honorary white person", much in a way the Nazis/South-African Apartheid coddled the Japanese.

Nazi's had no problem with Hispanics. They were Franco's largest benefactor and the Nazi's considered them non Aryan White Europeans. The opinion was largely aided by the complete lack of Hispanic peoples intermingling with Germans. They were given the same pass/distinction that the Japanese and Italians received.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 21, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zimmerman is the perfect shooter as far as white racists are concerned, because the open racists can celebrate over the gunning down of an urban feral and fantasize about doing the same, while the closet racists can write it off as the inferior dark people killing each other as always and whine that the REAL racists are race-baiting against white people by suggesting that the assumption that every black man is a probable criminal is in any way a problem with white culture.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Looks like the next Benghazi will be this VA thing.

Might be tough to bring Hillary into this one though.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Common Core works!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Actually this reminds me, I haven't heard any discussions of the strengths and weaknesses of Common Core in anything other than mathematics. I have no idea how it changes history and English classes and so on. Other than making students gay, I guess.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually this reminds me, I haven't heard any discussions of the strengths and weaknesses of Common Core in anything other than mathematics. I have no idea how it changes history and English classes and so on. Other than making students gay, I guess.

Math's easy to knee jerk because most of these assfucks hate math?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Paul Ryan likes math, hes a numbers guy! He's just incredibly averse to showing his work.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Paul Ryan likes math, hes a numbers guy! He's just incredibly averse to showing his work.

Real math doesn't have numbers. :smug:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

baw posted:

They'll still be able to use it as she was a "part of the administration" (even though the issue came up after her departure) under which the VA's problems came to light (and therefore is part of the cause of those likely long-standing problems, purely by association).

When you're running for president you can't, while in a debate, pass the responsibility to someone else even if it legitimately wasn't your area. You're a leader, so you're supposed to lead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

baw posted:

It won't stick because the root issue is "Congress [Republicans] won't give them enough money to hire people".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amergin posted:

When you're running for president you can't, while in a debate, pass the responsibility to someone else even if it legitimately wasn't your area. You're a leader, so you're supposed to lead.

Are you really claiming there is any legitimacy to the complaint that Hillary didn't treat her post of Secretary of State like it made her Empress?

"Why didn't you unconstitutionally usurp the powers of other Cabinet officers, Hillary!" <:mad:>

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 21, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Amergin posted:

They'll still be able to use it as she was a "part of the administration" (even though the issue came up after her departure) under which the VA's problems came to light (and therefore is part of the cause of those likely long-standing problems, purely by association).

Last I checked, SecState isn't in charge of the VA and doesn't have anything to do with them.

e: All Hilary would need to say is "that would be unconstitutional" and it would shut people the gently caress up since they loves them some constitutions!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

People call Obama black because, even though he is biracial, he prefers to be considered black. Also, many Americans are conditioned to the One Drop Rule.

You missed my point. He is not the descendant of slaves, therefore according to the classes BUSH 2112 took he isn't black.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

She just has to look forward though like "When I'm president that won't happen"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

Math's easy to knee jerk because most of these assfucks hate math?
I dunno if "most of these assfucks" is every news site I ever go to, but here's the BBC talking just about math and no other aspect of education, same as usual. If you went off the news and the internet you'd think that Common Core forbade the teaching of anything but math.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 21, 2014

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Amergin posted:

I said they oversimplified ethnicity and overplayed the whiteness of Zimmerman to create a narrative.
They're not fabricating some new narrative out of thin air based just on whether he can be identified as white (which he most certainly can). That narrative is old as time: that the fear/hatred other races or cultures (black, muslim, non-westerner, etc) living among "regular folk" ends up causing mistrust and violence to compound against them. Zimmerman fits that part of the narrative completely, as in the murder never would have happened if not for it, what with all the armed stalking and so on. And then afterwards the rally of support he received is another gigantic indicator that perhaps there is something to this "narrative". Do you remember the screamingly offensive character assassination that came out in defense of killing that kid? Stuff like, "Well, Martin bought some candy and a drink which in some way can be combined with drug use so really this was all for the best". Which actually brings up the point that no, it's not just some narrative, it's a well observed cultural phenomenon.

quote:

Of course I think Latinos can be racist, anyone can be racist. But when you describe Zimmerman as "white" but Obama as "black" I think you're using a double standard to fuel a narrative, and I expect better from NPR.
Please let us know what to call people of mixed race besides what they themselves identify as. Are you asserting Zimmerman isn't white?

quote:

Edit: Also to all the "it's ETHNICITY not RACE GAWD" posts, I'm pretty sure you understood my post but decided to argue against my semantics rather than my point.
Black. White. Zimmerman. Obama. Who's belaboring semantics? :allears:

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 21, 2014

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

baw posted:

This will be much more legitimate than Benghazi because it's mostly based in reality. The VA has been poorly functioning for a while now. It's just a matter of who the public will blame.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

It won't stick because the root issue is "Congress [Republicans] won't give them enough money to hire people".

Won't stop them from trying. Attack your opponent on your own weaknesses and all.

e:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

People call Zimmerman white because he's white.

Picture him in a country club. Is he a member or does he work there?

That will be my only contribution to this dumb derail.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 21, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think they are playing with fire there. The Benghazi scandal is fiction but with the VAs there's a real problem. Any real investigation won't just be a ridiculous circle jerk about finding fake facts but will reveal that actual people are to blame and I would guess the party that loves cutting government departments might have a hand in it. Much better to fan fake flames and get your base angry over something that isn't real and thus ultimately toothless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Samurai Sanders posted:

In general Common Core seems to guide us towards a world of test scores and the like, which is a trend we already deal with and which isn't helping much. (Oh but we need data, accountability, our children, how dare you not embrace the future of privately operated charter schools, etc.) I don't think the core (ha ha) idea of an actual national curriculum is that bad, really.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

USPol June: Not as bad as AusPol, but we're trying!

On another note, Oklahoma's "Save Our State Amendment" is not only struck down (back in 2012), but Oklahoma is now forced to pay $300k to the Council on American-Islamic Relations to cover legal fees and whatnot.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/21/oklahoma-to-pay-300000-in-legal-fees-after-preemptively-banning-sharia-law/

The Article posted:

Now, U.S. District Judge Vicki Miles-LaGrange has ordered the state to pay the legal fees Muneer Awad accrued when he challenged the amendment’s constitutionality. One of his attorneys, Michael Salem, told The Oklahoman that the most absurd element of the case is that there was never any proof that Sharia law was taking root in Oklahoma.

“It created a solution where there was no problem that existed,” he said. “This was just politicians optimistically looking for an issue. Look what happened. Not only did the state question get struck down, but they’ll have to pay attorney fees and interest over three years.”

The dangers of being proactive instead of reactive in a legislative session.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Insect Court posted:

What's your point? Of course the phrase "white hispanic" shoots up in Google trends around the time of the Zimmerman shooting, what's your point? Demographers and sociologists have long distinguished between hispanic(an ethnic identity) and white(a racial identity). Half of hispanic Americans self-identified as white in the last census. Were they all in on the plot to deceive people into thinking Zimmerman was white?

The point is that the term basically didn't exist in the us news media until the Zimmerman case. The google trends graph shows years and years of zero loving interest in the term. Do you not get that its odd that a specialty term was dredged from the census for this particular case and theres essentially no reason for it to have occurred besides creating the most dramatic race angle they could manage?

Also, I didn't want to get into this but US demographers are borderline retarded and hispanic is the worst and most meaningless "ethnic" descriptor imaginable. Its a grouping that includes Mexicans (spanish with native influences), Quechua (pretty much still native), Brazilians (don't even speak spanish), and Argentinians (mostly just transferred southern europe). The term fails every normal standard of being an "ethnic" group and only makes sense as being a "swarthy people south of us" descriptor. Notice that outside of the US census and studies that draw on the US census, Hispanic is used as a racial descriptor or a simultaneous racial/ethnic descriptor (race and ethnicity get really blurry at times). How often do you run into Hispanic being treated as an equivalent grouping to black or white? Because thats how its treated in the media and society almost all of the time and thats how I encountered it used in medical and bio literature.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

In general Common Core seems to guide us towards a world of test scores and the like, which is a trend we already deal with and which isn't helping much. (Oh but we need data, accountability, our children, how dare you not embrace the future of privately operated charter schools, etc.) I don't think the core (ha ha) idea of an actual national curriculum is that bad, really.
Yeah, me neither, but if it's all based on competing internationally and there's no good way to measure the stuff I find most important about education, isn't that stuff going to get the shaft?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, me neither, but if it's all based on competing internationally and there's no good way to measure the stuff I find most important about education, isn't that stuff going to get the shaft?
Yeah, 'competing internationally.' What is often unstated is that due to the differences of how our schools are organized, in most of these metrics we're comparing our "entire mass of students" to other nations' "elite prep school equivalents." When you compare our apples to their apples we usually come out looking pretty decent, if with a dismaying quantity of failure for poor and minority students. Of course the solution proposed is to turn those schools' revenue streams into private profit centers, because of course it is.

On the higher education level, for all our problems and perils, we still get huge swaths of the world coming here for post-secondary education despite everything. So I'm pretty dubious about there being fundamental, non-manufactured crises in the American educational system, but I could just be bitter for backing the wrong horse when I got an M Ed. :v:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Are you really claiming there is any legitimacy to the complaint that Hillary didn't treat her post of Secretary of State like it made her Empress?

"Why didn't you unconstitutionally usurp the powers of other Cabinet officers, Hillary!" <:mad:>

SubponticatePoster posted:

Last I checked, SecState isn't in charge of the VA and doesn't have anything to do with them.

e: All Hilary would need to say is "that would be unconstitutional" and it would shut people the gently caress up since they loves them some constitutions!

I wasn't saying it was a legitimate claim, I'm just saying the GOP can and probably will try to pin the VA issue on Hillary in 2016 by virtue of her association with the Obama administration. If she distances herself from it she could be portrayed as passing the buck - it's not her buck to begin with, I understand that, but if you associate her with Obama and Obama with vet mistreatment then the public (for the GOP primary anyway - I know Hillary doesn't factor into that directly, but making sweeping claims of what "The Democrats" have done to "ruin our nation" during a GOP primary seems common) might start making that direct connection.

What's more, like others have mentioned, it has basis in reality moreso than Benghazi. Blame Hillary on Benghazi and then throw the VA issue at her and by that point conservative/-leaning voters may be swayed away from her (assuming she wins the Dem primary).

Amergin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 21, 2014

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's the problem. Once performance-based incentives get thrown into the mix it all goes to poo poo. Over-worked and underpaid teachers get hammered if their students bomb exams so they teach for the test and not the material itself. Well at least on the public side.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Yeah, 'competing internationally.' What is often unstated is that due to the differences of how our schools are organized, in most of these metrics we're comparing our "entire mass of students" to other nations' "elite prep school equivalents." When you compare our apples to their apples we usually come out looking pretty decent, if with a dismaying quantity of failure for poor and minority students. Of course the solution proposed is to turn those schools' revenue streams into private profit centers, because of course it is.

On the higher education level, for all our problems and perils, we still get huge swaths of the world coming here for post-secondary education despite everything. So I'm pretty dubious about there being fundamental, non-manufactured crises in the American educational system, but I could just be bitter for backing the wrong horse when I got an M Ed. :v:
I was looking at the official pages myths and realities section and it was like "myth: the common core standards were not made with international testing in mind". They consider THAT the myth? Maybe they need to get out more.

edit: that BBC article from before is attacking the belief that we're lower in test scores just because the poor are dragging us down, though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 21, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
What's funny is that for all the insistence in this thread on a paper bag test for Hispanicness, the category was invented to keep light-skinned Spanish-speakers out of white schools in the Southwest. Now that Hispanics/Latinos have organized around that imposed identity, motherfuckers are out there trying to decide for the community who does and doesn't count as a member or whether it is a legitimate category to begin with.

Hispanics can be "white" in the sense of European descent, but let's not pretend race has EVER broken down on that, and they can be "white" in the sense of fair skin or hair or whatever, which is no more a dispositive indicator of identity than any other characteristic that might enable someone to engage in the well-researched phenomenon of racial passing, but whether that counts as "white" socially is at best case by case and more cynically dependent on the needs of the argument being made when the arguer decides to determine the criteria for Hispanic identity.

Also, white Hispanic has been a term in use for a long time, it has just been of limited utility because society treats Hispanics as a bloc or they carve people out of the group. More common is that within Hispanic communities, people identify as white or black or mixed or of indigenous descent. Hispanic is an umbrella identity in that it faces outside the community but doesn't necessarily (though it can) play within the community.

None of which changes the fact that calling George Zimmerman a "white Hispanic" was a blatant cover move for a huge gently caress up by the media that lots of people - including myself, I'm ashamed to say - didn't pick up on until everyone was so entrenched in their positions that any attempt to correct would have been seen as retreat. Zimmerman's mom is Afro-Peruvian - he is just as much black Hispanic as white Hispanic, though obviously people perceive their own identities according to their experiences and unless he has an account or has made a statement on it that I haven't seen, anyone arguing that he definitively is or isn't whatever is speaking with unfounded certainty.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

What's funny is that for all the insistence in this thread on a paper bag test for Hispanicness, the category was invented to keep light-skinned Spanish-speakers out of white schools in the Southwest. Now that Hispanics/Latinos have organized around that imposed identity, motherfuckers are out there trying to decide for the community who does and doesn't count as a member or whether it is a legitimate category to begin with.

Hispanics can be "white" in the sense of European descent, but let's not pretend race has EVER broken down on that, and they can be "white" in the sense of fair skin or hair or whatever, which is no more a dispositive indicator of identity than any other characteristic that might enable someone to engage in the well-researched phenomenon of racial passing, but whether that counts as "white" socially is at best case by case and more cynically dependent on the needs of the argument being made when the arguer decides to determine the criteria for Hispanic identity.

Also, white Hispanic has been a term in use for a long time, it has just been of limited utility because society treats Hispanics as a bloc or they carve people out of the group. More common is that within Hispanic communities, people identify as white or black or mixed or of indigenous descent. Hispanic is an umbrella identity in that it faces outside the community but doesn't necessarily (though it can) play within the community.

None of which changes the fact that calling George Zimmerman a "white Hispanic" was a blatant cover move for a huge gently caress up by the media that lots of people - including myself, I'm ashamed to say - didn't pick up on until everyone was so entrenched in their positions that any attempt to correct would have been seen as retreat. Zimmerman's mom is Afro-Peruvian - he is just as much black Hispanic as white Hispanic, though obviously people perceive their own identities according to their experiences and unless he has an account or has made a statement on it that I haven't seen, anyone arguing that he definitively is or isn't whatever is speaking with unfounded certainty.

Yeah, but he's still a violent racist and a murderer, and Amergin's still hideously uncomfortable when people who don't belong to his race talk about racial problems in a racial context.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Jesus Christ how long has this derail been going on, race is a social construct there are no "real" rules. Why are people so determined to treat a fundamentally irrational concept as if it was a scientific one. George Zimmerman, is "White" he's also "Hispanic" he's also "White Hispanic" and probably a half dozen other things as long as there's someone out there who views him as such and none of you have found the objectively correct terminology.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 21, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

SedanChair posted:

You missed my point. He is not the descendant of slaves, therefore according to the classes BUSH 2112 took he isn't black.

Don't worry, that wasn't intended as a response to you.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone also got distracted from the real issue in the Zimmerman case that made it actually a national story, which was not whether the shooting was self defense or murder, but why the police department of Sanford, FL decided to basically not investigate the shooting of a black kid.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Everyone also got distracted from the real issue in the Zimmerman case that made it actually a national story, which was not whether the shooting was self defense or murder, but why the police department of Sanford, FL decided to basically not investigate the shooting of a black kid.

Well, it was a question basically everyone knew the answer to going in, and the tape editing incident and incredibly stupid commentary ruined any move on that angle.

On the other hand, at least it resulted in the exile of Derbyshire.

Anyone interested in racial identity issues should pick up the work of Kenji Yoshino pronto.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

In primary news: WSJ's takeaways are all basically "Tea Party got clobbered". But my favorite bit:

WSJ posted:

The Senate Conservatives Fund and FreedomWorks, which both backed Mr. Bevin, didn’t waste any time embracing Mr. McConnell after the race was called. FreedomWorks declared the race a victory because Mr. McConnell was forced to “rediscover his conservative principles,” according to Matt Kibbe, the group’s president.

We won even though we lost because we affected the system!

EDIT:

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, but he's still a violent racist and a murderer, and Amergin's still hideously uncomfortable when people who don't belong to his race talk about racial problems in a racial context.

I feel like this is that thing Fox News does where they keep repeating something false until they believe it to be true.
I have no problem with racial problems in a racial context (otherwise why would I listen to TMM every day?), stop projecting your hate of actual racists onto me and re-read my posts maybe?

Amergin fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 21, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Radish posted:

I think they are playing with fire there. The Benghazi scandal is fiction but with the VAs there's a real problem. Any real investigation won't just be a ridiculous circle jerk about finding fake facts but will reveal that actual people are to blame and I would guess the party that loves cutting government departments might have a hand in it. Much better to fan fake flames and get your base angry over something that isn't real and thus ultimately toothless.

That assumes they're interested in finding the root of or solution to the issue rather than just using it as a cross on which to hang any sort of socialized health care.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was looking at the official pages myths and realities section and it was like "myth: the common core standards were not made with international testing in mind". They consider THAT the myth? Maybe they need to get out more.

edit: that BBC article from before is attacking the belief that we're lower in test scores just because the poor are dragging us down, though.
I wouldn't put it as 'the poor are dragging us down,' I'd put it more as 'our average is compared to their elites' average for a deliberate purpose, which is vaguely justifiable because our schooling system is different from that of Foreign Parts.' What's amazing to me is that despite the ability to kick out troublesome/handicapped students, so many charter schools are STILL underperforming compared to the average :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

In primary news: WSJ's takeaways are all basically "Tea Party got clobbered". But my favorite bit:

We won even though we lost because we affected the system!

EDIT:

I feel like this is that thing Fox News does where they keep repeating something false until they believe it to be true.
I have no problem with racial problems in a racial context (otherwise why would I listen to TMM every day?), stop projecting your hate of actual racists onto me and re-read my posts maybe?

Conservative principles such as putting Duke basketball footage in a Kentucky campaign ad.

• Locked thread