Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

There shouldn't, is a Raven game wich is a studio under Activision's direction. I'd kill for a Steam (or even better a GOG) release of SoF Platinum and 2.

Well, the name is licensed by Soldier of Fortune magazine who presumably own the trademark. I doubt John Mullins bothered trademarking his name but he might be due some royalties or something.

Also: John Mullins is actually a real person. Although he probably never fought Neo-Nazis in a giant castle with a microwave gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR3lwSMgnA

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Guillermus posted:

There shouldn't, is a Raven game wich is a studio under Activision's direction. I'd kill for a Steam (or even better a GOG) release of SoF Platinum and 2.

It could be the magazine license that's keeping it from getting rereleased.

E: arr. should read the new page before posting.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think Activision considers the series soundly dead after the god awful SOF:Payback tanked. I'm sure the names and whatever shouldn't be a big deal. There's also the fact that Activision can't give less of a poo poo about their back catalog.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yes they can, as long as it's old Call of Duty games they can sell for $20 11 years after release.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Keiya posted:

It makes Icon of Sin the most trivial map in any official WAD.

This makes sense, although I think Icon of Sin is the most trivial map regardless. :shobon: I don't play with mouselook, so I didn't think it would let you cheese the fight because Romero's head is a ways behind the little hole you have to shoot through.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Keiya posted:

It makes Icon of Sin the most trivial map in any official WAD.

Speed of Doom did it well. (It had a long lowering wall in front of the Romero head, you had to survive around 3 minutes in a huge horde battle to kill it.)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I miss Preychat but Prey is an awesome game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I was about to get Prey when they ran out of keys on Steam. :argh:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

And Bethesda owns the IP now. And they're just loving sitting on it doing nothing. :mad: I swear to god between this, their insistence on Steam for the old Fallout games after pulling them from GOG and the Wolf09 stuff they seem content with giving people grief.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

closeted republican posted:

I was about to get Prey when they ran out of keys on Steam. :argh:

Buy it retail in a box, the key will work with Steam. That's how I did it, and you really should too. Prey is a pretty neat game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zeether posted:

And Bethesda owns the IP now. And they're just loving sitting on it doing nothing. :mad: I swear to god between this, their insistence on Steam for the old Fallout games after pulling them from GOG and the Wolf09 stuff they seem content with giving people grief.

I'm so glad that Carmack released the Doom source code when he did, as I can't see Bethesda doing anything like that in future.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Convex posted:

I'm so glad that Carmack released the Doom source code when he did, as I can't see Bethesda doing anything like that in future.

I'm not surprised Carmack left id for Oculus, Bethesda/Zenimax is pretty much anti-Carmack in terms of intellectual property. They recently sued Oculus over Carmack's work on VR while at Zenimax.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

KozmoNaut posted:

Buy it retail in a box, the key will work with Steam. That's how I did it, and you really should too. Prey is a pretty neat game.

Yeah, Prey is a great game in fact.

Found it in a bargain bin for 19kr (2€) and the key worked on steam even though it didn't say so anywhere on the packaging or in the manual.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 20, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm not surprised Carmack left id for Oculus, Bethesda/Zenimax is pretty much anti-Carmack in terms of intellectual property. They recently sued Oculus over Carmack's work on VR while at Zenimax.
If you believe the Glassdoor review, the entire Id Software technology team followed him. I'd prooobably be a wee bit pissy too if I was Zenimax.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Guy sells company mostly on the prestige still attached to his name but it turns out the software development team has been replaced by a troupe of lemon farmers managed by the ghost of George Broussard. Then guy uses his work time to tinker around with another company's project, eventually leave for that company just before it's bought for zillions of dollars by OmniCorp.

I don't begrudge ZeniMax for thinking they've kind of been swindled a little.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

After reading Masters of Doom thanks to this thread, this news is kind of hilarious. I guess John Carmack just can't learn not to his time working on future projects while on the current company's dime.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wild T posted:

After reading Masters of Doom thanks to this thread, this news is kind of hilarious. I guess John Carmack just can't learn not to his time working on future projects while on the current company's dime.

I don't really know how you prove an employee was working on something else while on the clock so the lawsuit just seems like court bullying to me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

al-azad posted:

I don't really know how you prove an employee was working on something else while on the clock so the lawsuit just seems like court bullying to me.

I think its implying that Carmack was working with Zenimax to make their own VR solution, then heard about Oculus and how badass it was, and jumped ship. Zenimax seems to believe Carmack took with him special VR secrets that are critical to the success of the Oculus.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think its implying that Carmack was working with Zenimax to make their own VR solution, then heard about Oculus and how badass it was, and jumped ship. Zenimax seems to believe Carmack took with him special VR secrets that are critical to the success of the Oculus.

And he argues that everything he worked on was open source or not a trade secret. Any wagers on which billion dollar giant settles?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

al-azad posted:

1. Get to the Discovery phase
2. Request all of Carmack's emails/notes/files/etc within a certain date range (There is no 5th amendment protection since it's not a criminal lawsuit)
3. Search

Primarily because discovery is so goddamn expensive, close to 95% of lawsuits settle. Still, this wouldn't be very difficult to prove if it actually happened.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 21, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thus the need to delete delete delete (except as required by law).

Has anyone played Countdown to Extinction? Its a 32 map wad made up of speedmaps by Obsidian. The doomworld megawad club is running it this month (along with Sunder) and I happened to pick at it a bit. It's a lot of fun - I really enjoy these smaller maps. Not a surprise given that my favorite episode is probably the first Scythe episode.

I'm thinking of doing a LP of doom wads similar to the one that was done a couple years back where everyone is invited to contribute, and we try to highlight some of the less prominent stuff the community has made. Rather than megawads, it'll focus on small series and single maps (and random mapsets like CtE). To that end, what are your favorite short map runs (Odessa series, Raven series, etc) or single maps that others have maybe overlooked?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Thus the need to delete delete delete (except as required by law).

Unless the people you're working for have no IT department, they've got a copy of everything sent over the network and created on your workstation. And even free forensics tools let you pull deleted files from hard drives.

If Carmack was dumb enough to conduct private business at work then he deserves to be caught but the guy is a tech genius.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

Unless the people you're working for have no IT department, they've got a copy of everything sent over the network and created on your workstation. And even free forensics tools let you pull deleted files from hard drives.

If Carmack was dumb enough to conduct private business at work then he deserves to be caught but the guy is a tech genius.
Carmack has a long-standing history of using business resources for personal stuff. That's how Commander Keen got developed.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The hilarious thing is the idea that Carmack, Romero and company were lugging SofDisk computers out to their cars every Friday night and sneaking them back on Sunday during the entire development and noone ever noticed. It's surprising noone ever called the cops and complained that there were a bunch of shifty mid-twenties guys stealing thousands of dollars from that office building up the street. That and they were really lucky they didn't get taken to court when SofDisk found out or they'd probably have gone bankrupt from the start and lost Keen.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really need to pick up that Doom book because all of this stuff about Carmack and Romero sounds hilarious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Carmack has a long-standing history of using business resources for personal stuff. That's how Commander Keen got developed.

On the other hand, back then they were broke and had no resources and the game industry practically didn't exist. Carmack shouldn't be as pressured to get poo poo done these days, he can bankroll his own space program. At that point you have no excuses.

But yeah, wasn't it the Id guys who like stole tons of floppies from their employer to write their games on? Or was that somebody else...

al-azad posted:

I really need to pick up that Doom book because all of this stuff about Carmack and Romero sounds hilarious.

Its pretty interesting stuff, yeah, if you like reading about nerd history :cheeky: I picked it up a few years back

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

Honestly Masters of Doom should be required reading for this thread.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Doom Postmortum is really informative, too. Or that Id documentary. I loved the moments with that sound guy making music and poo poo.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So if anyone else is actually enjoying Hexen now that Wrath of Cronos has been pointed out in this thread, I have a quick solution for a problem that is apparently common enough that the official Hexen walkthrough brings it up. In episode 4, The Castle of Grief, if you go into the Axe key room, kill everything, and the Heresiarch never shows up, just punch "puke 16" into the console. I guess for some reason this script sometimes just doesn't trigger, even though it's kind of essential to the continuation of the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Survival horror game made in the Quake 2 engine Doom2 engine :psyduck:

http://wadaholic.wordpress.com/

So that's something. Can't decide if it looks cool or poo poo.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 21, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Survival horror game made in the Quake 2 engine runs on GZQuake

http://wadaholic.wordpress.com/

So that's something. Can't decide if it looks cool or poo poo.

You mean Doom2? Looks pretty slick. I might not be tired of zombies by then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kazvall posted:

You mean Doom2? Looks pretty slick. I might not be tired of zombies by then.

Oh wait gently caress, you're right its Doom2. I saw all the 3D poo poo and my brain jumped to Quake2. :psyduck:

This is now a lot more impressive.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So if anyone else is actually enjoying Hexen now that Wrath of Cronos has been pointed out in this thread, I have a quick solution for a problem that is apparently common enough that the official Hexen walkthrough brings it up. In episode 4, The Castle of Grief, if you go into the Axe key room, kill everything, and the Heresiarch never shows up, just punch "puke 16" into the console. I guess for some reason this script sometimes just doesn't trigger, even though it's kind of essential to the continuation of the game.

Or just play it with Deathkings of the Dark Citadel which, apart from Sump and the secret levels in Hubs 2 and 3, is a shitload more fun than base Hexen.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I had the absolute opposite experience and thoroughly detested Deathkings, while loving the original Hexen.

Hexen as a whole is pretty much a giant wildcard in all the idtech1 games.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Thanks, quoting so I can actually find this when I get there in a few weeks :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Quick question about Wolf3D... Do the Nocturnal Missions get better after Episode 4? I'm on E4M5 right now, and compared to the first three episodes (which IIRC was the original game and the Nocturnal Missions were an add-on of sorts), it feels like I'm playing a map pack made by someone or a small group of people who made some of their very first levels. These levels feel like they're way way too maze-y, which isn't a great thing when playing an older FPS with no auto-map system.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Obeast posted:

Quick question about Wolf3D... Do the Nocturnal Missions get better after Episode 4? I'm on E4M5 right now, and compared to the first three episodes (which IIRC was the original game and the Nocturnal Missions were an add-on of sorts), it feels like I'm playing a map pack made by someone or a small group of people who made some of their very first levels. These levels feel like they're way way too maze-y, which isn't a great thing when playing an older FPS with no auto-map system.

Episode 4 is all about puzzles. I feel that Episode 5 is much better because it's about action and isn't very mazey.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

closeted republican posted:

Episode 4 is all about puzzles. I feel that Episode 5 is much better because it's about action and isn't very mazey.
That's good to hear. It sucks that episode 3 was actually pretty fun (mostly because it felt pretty easy compared to the first two episodes, but that's assuming that I'm used to how Wolf3D works now), and the Nocturnal Missions start off on such a low note. I'm sure people who enjoy more puzzle/maze centric levels like Episode 4, but I'm really not one of those people unless it's done in a way where it's not totally obvious and/or in a way where it's actually fun and doesn't feel tedious.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Ep5 is really fun, it was actually the only one I've finished as a kid. Really fluid action here. Ep6 is also not bad, but it starts with one of the most frustrating starting levels in FPS history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Episode 5 is one of my favorites as well. The final map is truly a sight to behold if you've playing in Death Incarnate. It's a non-stop slaughter-fest with waves of SS coming after you and the only thing keeping you alive is constantly firing the Minigun while hoping you don't run out of ammo.