Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

In 2008, E3 was on the verge of death. It had been held in a private location with invitation only to industry professionals. Attendance dropped from 60,000 in 2006 to 5,000 in 2008. In 2009 they went back to the LA Convention Center and expanded their invitations out the public again, and attendance grew back to 40,000. So... a lot of people in the crowd might not have been plants, but many might have also had rather sketchy credentials to attend.

I mean you could be a Gamestop manager and get a pass to E3, so getting a press pass probably had a bar as low as "has a Blogspot".

Last year, Sony and Microsoft actually reserved seats for "superfans" to attend, people who were there just because they were huge dorks. So that's why you heard a lot of suspicious State of the Union Address applause during the events.

I hope you do E3 2008 next if there is enough videos for it still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rirse posted:

I hope you do E3 2008 next if there is enough videos for it still around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZcZP2CGqM

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

I have to admit I geeked out quite a bit for this. Metroid is the reason I buy Nintendo consoles and I thought it was gonna be so loving goddamned awesome. It even had a ballin' rear end commercial like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12-fbN0uWPo

Too bad about that game

Well even that commercial had some dumb poo poo in it. Case in point

Even so, that commercial had stronger acting, writing, and music than all of Other M. I'm guessing Sakamoto didn't work on it.

LaserBaconMan fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 21, 2014

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

There were two Halo games announced at '09 E3?

Did they both have version exclusive pokemon?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

commy gun posted:

There were two Halo games announced at '09 E3?

Did they both have version exclusive pokemon?

One was the one where you were playing a heavily armored elite soldier armed with cutting-edge technology fighting a collection of alien races and the other was the one were you were playing a heavily armored elite soldier armed with cutting-edge technology fighting a collection of alien races.

Keep up.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is that $500m pricetag on Destiny legit? Because there's hubris, and then there's half-a-billion-dollars worth of hubris.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DStecks posted:

Is that $500m pricetag on Destiny legit? Because there's hubris, and then there's half-a-billion-dollars worth of hubris.

FWIW at least 200-300m of that is advertising. I think they're vastly overestimating the cache Bungie the studio carries vs Halo the brand, but they are putting a ton of eggs into the basket of this being their Next Big Franchise.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

DStecks posted:

The majority of the money is in the sheer marketing for the thing, with the actual game itself costing about 140 million (though possibly higher). But yes, activision does need this to be ridiculously successful if they want their money back any time soon. Can't imagine it won't have quite a bit of presence at E3 as a result.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

DStecks posted:

I could've sworn that when they originally announced that figure that it was the budget for the franchise over the next decade.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

The majority of the money is in the sheer marketing for the thing, with the actual game itself costing about 140 million (though possibly higher). But yes, activision does need this to be ridiculously successful if they want their money back any time soon. Can't imagine it won't have quite a bit of presence at E3 as a result.

Well that's great, seeing as I haven't seen any marketing for the game yet at all. Is it just gonna be a supersaturated clusterfuck a month from release?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

DStecks posted:

Well that's great, seeing as I haven't seen any marketing for the game yet at all. Is it just gonna be a supersaturated clusterfuck a month from release?

Can't wait to have Destiny shoved down my throat approximately five times as much as Titanfall was pre-launch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bro, have you SEEN Destiny?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

DStecks posted:

Not 100% sure on broadcast TV, but they did bombard the poo poo out of Youtube and Twitch with Destiny ads a while back. Wouldn't surprise me if they sprung for a superbowl ad, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

FWIW at least 200-300m of that is advertising. I think they're vastly overestimating the cache Bungie the studio carries vs Halo the brand, but they are putting a ton of eggs into the basket of this being their Next Big Franchise.

Also, let's pretend for a moment that Destiny is a super smash hit. For some reason that isn't evident from what we know about it, the game catches the world on fire. You're looking at 20 million sales in that case. This isn't going to happen for a lot of reasons, but we're going into the land of Activision's wet dreams. $300 million is a lowball of the marketing budget, I've heard it's closer to $360 million, but let's go with that number. In this event they have spent $15 dollars per sale on marketing. The return on a copy sold of Destiny is going to be about $15.

Some people might see this as a fundamental flaw in Activision's plan. They might note that the return on dollars spent on marketing drops off sharply past a certain point. They might also point out that even if it's a smash hit and launches a huge franchise and leads to unprecedented DLC sales that Activision might be writing down some losses on this project.

These people are fools. Can't they see that Destiny's budget is actually a very elaborate suicide attempt? That Activision faced with the mortality of their Call of Duty franchise and depressed that Skylanders is a success that they don't actually want is attempting to end it all? And who are we to tell a company that they cannot end their life. Let's respect their decision and let them put everything into Destiny.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Random Stranger posted:

Also, let's pretend for a moment that Destiny is a super smash hit. For some reason that isn't evident from what we know about it, the game catches the world on fire. You're looking at 20 million sales in that case. This isn't going to happen for a lot of reasons, but we're going into the land of Activision's wet dreams. $300 million is a lowball of the marketing budget, I've heard it's closer to $360 million, but let's go with that number. In this event they have spent $15 dollars per sale on marketing. The return on a copy sold of Destiny is going to be about $15.

Some people might see this as a fundamental flaw in Activision's plan. They might note that the return on dollars spent on marketing drops off sharply past a certain point. They might also point out that even if it's a smash hit and launches a huge franchise and leads to unprecedented DLC sales that Activision might be writing down some losses on this project.

These people are fools. Can't they see that Destiny's budget is actually a very elaborate suicide attempt? That Activision faced with the mortality of their Call of Duty franchise and depressed that Skylanders is a success that they don't actually want is attempting to end it all? And who are we to tell a company that they cannot end their life. Let's respect their decision and let them put everything into Destiny.

Who's going to make the next Crash Bandicoot game then?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Here's a thought: it was exactly one year ago when the Xbox One was revealed, and every rumor out there that promised a DRM-locked future for the console turned out to be absolutely true.

Man, that was one hilarious trainwreck to watch unfurl.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JordanKai posted:

Can't wait to have Destiny shoved down my throat approximately five times as much as Titanfall was pre-launch.

I'm always happy I left GameStop, everyone who does is, but times like this are when I'm REALLY happy I left GameStop.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Who's going to make the next Crash Bandicoot game then?

Still no one.

:smith:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcSmlI-Zyk

THIS WAS MET WITH LOUD APPLAUSE. Finally, Samus is my ideal anime waifu. (METACRITIC SCORE: 79)

That is a decent trailer. There was nothing especially cringeworthy in that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yep, it was pretty much this, the guys who own the 1 vs. 100 brand saw that it was popular and started asking for more and more money and control to the point where it wasn't feasible for Microsoft to keep with it, then they made a new and improved TV version of it that, shockingly, missed every reason why 1 vs. 100 worked so amazingly well on the Xbox and was quickly cancelled. I imagine that probably poisoned the well for anything else like that.

There was hardly anything "improved" about the revamp, it was on GSN where pretty much nobody would accidentally see it and the studio was about the size of a broom closet with no audience and the mob being a screen on one wall with bunch of people connected by webcam. I think it was hosted by one of the Dancing with the Stars judges too.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Doesn't mean you have to swallow.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I still maintain the sony conference after microsoft's horrible one is the greatest E3 moment. It wasn't as funny as konami's from 2010 but the way everybody went nuts as sony pretty much said gently caress you to microsoft was amazing. Microsoft's show was pretty much a hour of forcing poo poo on us and maybe one or two games that wasn't going to be lovely. Sony simply said no drm, here's some cool indie games, oh and the ps4 is a whole $100 cheaper than the bone peace.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Wheany posted:

That is a decent trailer. There was nothing especially cringeworthy in that.

Yeah, back then we were thinking "a Metroid game with the gameplay style of Ninja Gaiden Black." The hype was mostly justified. We had no idea it was going to be as toxic as it was.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Random Stranger posted:

Metroid: Other M burned so many people. :negative:

I didn't even buy it and I still carry the scars to this day.

I wish they'd give Metroid back to Retro, then have them do a classic Metroidvania style game using what they learned from doing Prime and DKCR.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ubisoft 09

During Ubisoft's opening sizzle reel, journalists in the crowd cheer loudly during certain games in the montage. Would you like to know the games? Rayman Rabbids Go Home (METACRITIC SCORE: 78), TMNT: Smash Up (67), and AVATAR: The Game (60). These are your elected representatives of our gaming
democracy.

The host of this E3 is announced as "the star of the upcoming NBC sitcom Community". Get used to feeling old.

Joel McHale is already too charismatic and interesting to be at this event. He pitches a game called Receding Glacier which requires leaving your console on for 3 years.

Yves Guillemot, the frenchest motherfucker on the planet, gets his own tiny podium. He says "we hope that you will.. will be convinced with the games we.. will show you this time", which might actually be French. I know languages have a lot of crossover.

Yves demonstrates France's understanding of string theory

Yves announces uPlay, which he fumbles through completely and doesn't explain very well, because there's nothing good to say about uPlay, especially in 2009, when it was synonymous with over-the-top DRM that required always-online internet to access your single player games. Yves brags about working with filmmakers, and mentioning the upcoming Tintin movie gets a very loud "oooooooo!!!" (why)

Now this guy comes out, apparently in his casual friday wardrobe

They're talking about collaborating with hollywood some more. This is whats wrong with the game industry, and this is 5 years ago. I wish someone could have said "hey let's just make fun video games instead" no it's Hollywood, Gaming is Art, Emotional Powerful Stories. He proclaims Ubisoft to be a "full 360 degrees content developer" (this doesn't mean anything THIS DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING you're just saying random words)

We're 13 minutes in without a single game being featured, and now James Cameron is on stage. I remember this, when it happened live. I can't, no, I won't watch it again. He talks about the Avatar movie and making the Avatar movie. He talks about the premise, the characters, the backstory, the production process, like he's hijacked E3 to promote a Kickstarter project. He talks about this for 15 minutes. Think that's exaggeration? See how far you make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XrQgA2PWvg

Uh, I guess the metacritic score for Avatar the movie was 83?

We're now 30 minutes in without a game being featured, but the drought is broken with SHAUN WHITE 2 gently caress yessss mediocre snowboard game!! A video is shown of no gameplay, but there ARE live action people stacking poo poo on a roof. METACRITIC SCORE: 72

Ubisoft knows how to do an E3 event more appropriately than anyone else. First, we got motherfuckin Pele in the house. Second, the trailer that's supposed to play doesn't, and they're left staring at a picture of Pele as a lovely PS2-looking 3d model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R21ix732RHA&t=90s

Pele has a translator on stage to talk about this obvious shovelware game that he has literally nothing to do with, and his career in futbol. It takes about 40 seconds to translate each paragraph of Pele's speech. oh the game is called Academy of Champions, and its Metacritic score is unimportant in the grand scheme of things, although I guess it was a 64, but never mind that. CELEBRITIES! We've got Pele and James Cameron motherfuckers!! Did I mention the trailer has no gameplay? We're now 43 minutes in without even gameplay footage.

Joel McHale says "wow that was amazing" a lot. this wasn't the year where his soul sparked back to life. Now more french people come out to talk about Splinter Cell: Conviction. They claim that the game will make you feel like a "powerful predator", but I'm assuming most of the people who play Tom Callancy games are already predators. Conviction gets an actual stage demo, but it's the same from Microsoft/Sony's keynote. METACRITIC SCORE: 83

R.U.S.E. is announced. What is R.U.S.E.? Remember Surface? No, not the lovely tablet, the TABLE COMPUTER. Microsoft Surface was originally a loving table computer, and R.U.S.E. was designed to be played on the Surface. Of course, no one bought the Surface, so it was also designed for normal people too. It's possible no one bought R.U.S.E. either, so it worked out in the end. No gameplay footage. METACRITIC SCORE: 77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHdBk4BjlPM
please back our indiegogo game project, Table Planes Beach War

Apparently there's just been way too much hardcore gaming so it's time for casual games, so out comes this guy making a very tasteful salute

This fun loving gentlemen is here to tell us that major brands like Fallout, Gears of War, Mario, and Metal Gear Solid can't compare to Imagine Babiez. This next image is presented without context

Ubisoft is the only company that understands true E3 Magic. It's their evergreen quality.

Casual man welcomes a trainer to the stage to talk about Ubisoft's fitness game, Your Shape, and claims that Ubisoft wants to innovate in this young genre, and that the #1 priority for Ubisoft is making great games. METACRITIC SCORE: 62

There's only like 20 minutes left of this funhole, and Ubisoft has already knocked it out of the park by featuring only one gameplay demonstration to this point. The only way this can get better is if those stupid loving Rabbids showed up OH YEAH!!

They're here to demonstrate Rabbids Go Home, and it's a Wii game, so here is a helpful illustration of waggle provided by Ubisoft

Some other guy comes out to talk about Ninja Turtles, which elicits a huge applause from a bunch of loving DORKS. The applause ends when they see the actual game footage trailer, which looks like someone is trying to run a game through an alpha version of an emulator. Then No More Heroes 2 is announced (METACRITIC SCORE: 84), but nothing is shown, because that's not what E3 is about. It's about famous soccer stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjUDyEr-vo
Seen here: the world's first fighting game set inside of a jar of molasses

The "One More Thing" is a trailer for Assassin's Creed 2 (METACRITIC SCORE: 89). It's pre-rendered. Maybe you guys just don't 'get' E3??

So to recap, average Metacritic score: 72.4. Two actual demonstrations in 90 minutes. Now that's how you do it right. 4 Mr. Caffeines out of 5

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 21, 2014

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

So to recap, average Metacritic score: 72.4. Two actual demonstrations in 90 minutes. Now that's how you do it right. 4 Mr. Caffeines out of 5

Thank you for your work :allears:

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

James Cameron talking about Avatar uninterrupted for 30minutes was really funny at the time.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ohtsam posted:

I could've sworn that when they originally announced that figure that it was the budget for the franchise over the next decade.

This is what I've always heard.

500 million over 10 years is not that much at all for a AAA game.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ubisoft 09

4 Mr. Caffeines out of 5
You're really spoiling us with the frequency these are appearing at.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Famous TV Dad posted:

James Cameron talking about Avatar uninterrupted for 30minutes was really funny at the time.

Remember when Microsoft talked about Nike shoes? E3 at its finest. :allears:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Famous TV Dad posted:

Was it better or worse then Pele trying to kill time while they fixed technical glitches?

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013
These are only getting better. Are there any other 09 conferences left?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's it for 09. Also I just realized the reason why there was no Geoff Keighley DewSlam(TM) in 09 was because G4 TV still existed and they repped E3 with Kevin "GBS TV" Perriera and Adam Sessler.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
God drat, these are awesome. I stopped paying attention to e3 somewhere around 2005 and only started again last year because of all the noise, so it's great for me to get my recap this way.

This thread deserves to be gold from your work.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

arisu posted:

God drat, these are awesome. I stopped paying attention to e3 somewhere around 2005 and only started again last year because of all the noise, so it's great for me to get my recap this way.

This thread deserves to be gold from your work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sdEToW5BM

If you like Slowbeef talking over funny videos, this is a great way to reacquaint yourself with what you've missed.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

That's it for 09. Also I just realized the reason why there was no Geoff Keighley DewSlam(TM) in 09 was because G4 TV still existed and they repped E3 with Kevin "GBS TV" Perriera and Adam Sessler.

Please start with Konami for 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

So a press pass costs less than $100 and a few hours of your time?

Yes. It's not at all difficult to get in.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

What people said about E3 09:

- Victor Lucas of Electric Playground and Adam Sessler of G4 (at the time) believed Project Milo was real, and that Peter Molyneux "deserves more credit".

- Ominous words from Sessler: "We've heard from Nintendo over and over, they've brought new people into gaming. Well, what are they going to do with them? You've brought them in. Now what. There's a bad attach rate. Yes, they're successful in the short term. But what happens when people stop caring?"

- 1UP voted APB as the Best PC Game of E3

- PC World: "Take a masterful multiplayer shooting game for Xbox 360, PS3, and Windows, then add in an impressive graphics engine that can draw out a couple crowded city blocks without hiccuping. Throw in a story and the ability to play with computer-controlled bots in a single player story if you like. That, in a rather large nutshell, is Brink." Ahuh.

- Just about everyone called Scribblenauts the game of the show, which goes to show you that all you need to win awards is give people a sandbox and be as deep as a thimble

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The E3 '09 thread was the funniest E3 thread overall, though the reaction here to Konami 2010 cannot be ignored. That's my review of E3 threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

Ohtsam posted:

:ssh: We know, but it's funner this way

During Ubisoft's opening sizzle reel, journalists in the crowd cheer loudly during certain games in the montage. Would you like to know the games? Rayman Rabbids Go Home (METACRITIC SCORE: 78)

That was actually a perfectly serviceable Katamari clone. Far superior to the other Rabbids games.

This, however, is loving gold

TMNT: Smash Up (67)

This was okay I guess. :geno: I remember four character slots were taken up by Rabbids, including a Splinter Cell Rabbid. Oh Ubisoft! :allears:

R.U.S.E. is announced. What is R.U.S.E.? Remember Surface? No, not the lovely tablet, the TABLE COMPUTER. Microsoft Surface was originally a loving table computer, and R.U.S.E. was designed to be played on the Surface. Of course, no one bought the Surface, so it was also designed for normal people too. It's possible no one bought R.U.S.E. either, so it worked out in the end. No gameplay footage. METACRITIC SCORE: 77

I recall playing this, but I can't remember a single thing about it. :psyduck:
It was just so painfully average.

PC World: "Take a masterful multiplayer shooting game for Xbox 360, PS3, and Windows, then add in an impressive graphics engine that can draw out a couple crowded city blocks without hiccuping. Throw in a story and the ability to play with computer-controlled bots in a single player story if you like. That, in a rather large nutshell, is Brink." Ahuh.

This could have been the case if the netcode wasn't such garbage, but alas... :smith:

LaserBaconMan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 22, 2014

• Locked thread