Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I decided I really didn't want to debate the entire bo Jackson thing because I don't give a poo poo and his situation WAS entirely different.

Edit if contracts and retirement worked as slip up is portraying them to we would have zero use for any of the tags, FYI.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I don't either for the Suh stuff, just Bo falling didn't seem like an accurate description of that whole mess. Man we make fun of Cleveland or Buffalo or whoever these days but nothing beats the 80s Bucs.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Actually aaadolf I had specifically commented on it happening within the last ten years. Bo was way before that. But hey, good try buddy.

You laugh at the thought of a player valuing something else over money but it happens all the time. Hell, there was even a player this year who tanked his workout to try to get on the team he wanted. (Sure, he was totally crazy.)

Why dont you explain exactly why the Favre situation was totally only possible that one specific time?

E: or not I guess.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

Instead of burning twin towers can someone photoshop handlebar mustaches on all of them? That would be most delightful.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bo fell because he wasn't expected to come back to football. Al Davis had to promise he could continue to play baseball.

Also the Buccaneers should've had their franchise expunged and replaced with the USFL Bandits.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

SlipUp posted:

He could sign first and then retire. These three situations were brought up in the context of situations where a player got to pick their own team sans FA. If we're strictly talking unsigned Suh it would've been more of an Eli or even TO type of situation.

I guess that's a wild hypothetical. The player would still have to request to be released from their contract before signing elsewhere, and probably would have to take a year off of football in the meantime. I don't know much about the TO situation, reading the Wiki makes it sound like a cock-up between his old agent and his new agent, not TO pissing all over the Ravens specifically.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'll break down the Farve thing but where the hell did I laugh at the thought of a player valuing things over money? You pulled that outta nowhere

Edit: phone postin but The favre situation was different for the simple fact the jets couldn't trade him without giving a huge pick to the packers. It was part of THEIR trade agreement.

He had one year left and was 40. You're talking like a rookie can retire, wait it out, then go sign elsewhere as a FA. Again that's not really how it works.

I believe it's called the retired reserved list? I have to check

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 21, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Reserve-Retired list, and explicitly is to allow teams with a player under contract to keep their rights if they attempt to unretire, while also not having to pay them while they're retired.

For a drafted rookie, they can sit out the draft and re-apply for the draft the next year. Once that full year is up, they're free to re-apply to the draft, but until then, the team does own their rights.

Of course, unless you happen to be a particularly good baseball player, the scenario where that makes any kind of sense is pretty slim.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I was replying to your comment highlighting the absurdity of a player bombing his workouts to be drafted by a better team. I assume the motivation to not do that is how much money would be lost.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 21, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I'll break down the Farve thing but where the hell did I laugh at the thought of a player valuing things over money? You pulled that outta nowhere

Edit: phone postin but The favre situation was different for the simple fact the jets couldn't trade him without giving a huge pick to the packers. It was part of THEIR trade agreement.

He had one year left and was 40. You're talking like a rookie can retire, wait it out, then go sign elsewhere as a FA. Again that's not really how it works.

I believe it's called the retired reserved list? I have to check

Yeah there's a reserved/retired list that doesn't count against the roster. I think any guaranteed money you paid still has to be paid out, like usual, there's not much info I can find on Google at the moment about it.

Favre was Green Bay getting tired of dealing with Favre's perennial act of mulling retirement and realized what they had in Rodgers, so they shipped him to New York. One of the clauses, as you mentioned, was the Jets taking a huge penalty if they traded Favre to Minnesota (might have been other NFC North teams too, I can't remember). Favre has a mediocre year in New York, "retires" the following offseason. What happened next was I guarantee Favre's agent asked to be released from the contract, so Favre could sign a one-day contract and retire a Packer. Favre doesn't have a contract and New York isn't responsible for the "no trading to our rivals" clause so Favre goes to Minnesota because he wants to gently caress over Green Bay.

Now, if you're telling me that a 21 year old player can do that, then yes, a draftee can choose wherever he wants to play.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A prospect like Andrew Luck might have been able to "choose" within reason; if he said "I'm not playing for Indy no matter what, come at me bro" they'd have a tough time drafting him and then taking the risk that he doesn't sign versus taking the king's ransom they'd get in exchange for the draft spot. I'm not sure how much pull he or his agent would have over who would make the trade for him though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Also the Buccaneers should've had their franchise expunged and replaced with the USFL Bandits.

My god check this out, Tampa's first round picks from 1984 to '95. Someone do the Lions under Millen so we can compare:

1984 #1 - Traded away in '83 I believe (Irving Fryar was picked there)
1985 #8 Ron Holmes, DE--played a while, was never great. Like everyone else his best year was after he left Tampa
1986 #1 Bo, RB, Best athlete ever--Amazing, just not for the Bucs
1987 #1 Vinny Testaverde--Pretty good career, just not for the Bucs
1988 #4 Paul Gruber, OT--Good player, on the Bucs ring of honor
1989 #6 Broderick Thomas, LB--unfortunately not related to and was nothing like Derrick
1990 #4 Keith McCants, DE--Junior Seau went #5. McCants was out of football in 6 years
1991 #7 Charles McRae, OT--Backup O lineman type, started one year at RT and most of a year at LG, other than that a few years of not playing a ton
1992 #2 - Traded to the Colts who took Quentin Coryatt. The Colts also had the #1 pick on their own merit and took Steve Emptman. loving ouch.
1993 #6 Eric Curry, DE--7 year career, 12.5 sacks
1994 #6 Trent Dilfer, QB--Trent Dilfer once made a pro bowl, did you know? I'm sure he'll tell you all about it
1995 #7 - Traded to Eagles who took Mike Mamula, Tampa ended up with Sapp and finally someone who was good on their team (other than Gruber I guess).

That's 11 straight years of picking (or originally having the rights to pick) in the top 8.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Years removed from that whole incident I think it's loving hilarious how badly Favre hated Green Bay and went out of his way to get revenge on the team and Ted Thompson.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

bewbies posted:

A prospect like Andrew Luck might have been able to "choose" within reason; if he said "I'm not playing for Indy no matter what, come at me bro" they'd have a tough time drafting him and then taking the risk that he doesn't sign versus taking the king's ransom they'd get in exchange for the draft spot. I'm not sure how much pull he or his agent would have over who would make the trade for him though.

He probably should've.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

SlipUp posted:

And who would dare retire to void contractual obligations and (almost) immediately sign with whatever team you like? Totally unethical, I'm sure anyone who did that would be immediately blackballed from the league!

I agree, Eddie Kennison is a punk bitch.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Matt Millen: 0-16, 0 playoff appearances.

That's all you need to know.

SlipUp posted:

I was replying to your comment highlighting the absurdity of a player bombing his workouts to be drafted by a better team. I assume the motivation to not do that is how much money would be lost.

Who are you referring as having bombed their workout to play for a team they wanted to?

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 21, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

My god check this out, Tampa's first round picks from 1984 to '95. Someone do the Lions under Millen so we can compare:

The Bandits were also drawing as many if not more people to games as the Buccaneers.

And they had BANDIT BALL, and Steve Spurrier was their head coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fP9Ae37dFs

There is a sweep into a reverse toss to the QB screen pass in this video.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dattserberg posted:

Matt Millen: 0-16, 0 playoff appearances.

That's all you need to know.

Like I get that he was bad, but the Bucs match both of these things at different times, or would if they were allowed to play 16 games. They obviously weren't making the playoffs during the streak I posted about.

I glanced at the Lions while Millen was around, it's very very bad but probably not as bad. Mainly because of Megatron and the Fords finally firing him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Knightmere posted:

I agree, Eddie Kennison is a punk bitch.

Eddie Kennison has to be the most marginal player an entire fanbase has ever felt genuinely slighted by.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MourningView posted:

Eddie Kennison has to be the most marginal player an entire fanbase has ever felt genuinely slighted by.

That probably made it worse, really.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eddie Kennison is a hero.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

shiksa posted:

He probably should've.

He might be in DC if he had

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Brannock posted:

Years removed from that whole incident I think it's loving hilarious how badly Favre hated Green Bay and went out of his way to get revenge on the team and Ted Thompson.

wow. pretty much.

Dattserberg posted:

Who are you referring as having bombed their workout to play for a team they wanted to?

Adam Muema skipped the Combine and his pro day because this dude:

told him that god would will Seattle to draft him if he skipped it.

So yeah... Pretty dumb strategy for a mediocre back from a small school. He's since given up football and is a full time cultist, so livin' the dream I guess.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

SlipUp posted:

wow. pretty much.

Adam Muema skipped the Combine and his pro day because this dude:

told him that god would will Seattle to draft him if he skipped it.

So yeah... Pretty dumb strategy for a mediocre back from a small school. He's since given up football and is a full time cultist, so livin' the dream I guess.

praise be Jason Christ

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I was always under the thought that part of Brett Favres ego/divaness came around the time of 2005 season when Sherman was coach and his goddamn philosophy was "let Favre do whatever" whereas Holmgren wasn't afraid to smack him on the head a couple of times.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Dattserberg posted:

It's Miami guys, Miami is the worst sport town.

Right state, wrong city.

We Tampans are truly the worst.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Aldon Smith plead no contest to 3 felony counts of gun possession and 1 misdemeanor DUI charge. Sentencing to come July 25

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 22, 2014

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Grittybeard posted:

Like I get that he was bad, but the Bucs match both of these things at different times, or would if they were allowed to play 16 games. They obviously weren't making the playoffs during the streak I posted about.

I glanced at the Lions while Millen was around, it's very very bad but probably not as bad. Mainly because of Megatron and the Fords finally firing him.

The Fords extended him before they fired him :(

I get that TB was bad, but there's just something so awful about it being your team and you really not knowing anything other than being a laughing stock.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rap posted:

because...................................................................................you touch...........................................yourself..............

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I personally feel bad that you ate a probie for making a joke on a comedy website.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

Favre has a mediocre year in New York, "retires" the following offseason. What happened next was I guarantee Favre's agent asked to be released from the contract, so Favre could sign a one-day contract and retire a Packer. Favre doesn't have a contract and New York isn't responsible for the "no trading to our rivals" clause so Favre goes to Minnesota because he wants to gently caress over Green Bay.
Actually I believe he retired, the jets commited to Sanchez, and Favre threatened to unretire and demanded his release.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Aldon Smith plead no contest to 3 felony counts of gun possession and 1 misdemeanor DUI charge. Sentencing to come July 25

IS this new stuff or the old stuff? Because if its new haha.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

IS this new stuff or the old stuff? Because if its new haha.

The stuff he did a month or two ago

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Speaking of the DUI, I do auto inspections for an auto insurance company in San Jose & I did an inspection the other day at the shop where Aldon takes his cars.

I commented that he must be good for business. Apparently the owner & Aldon Smith are friends and the owner was not amused.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

Tim Tebow

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

What fanbase feels slighted by Tebow?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spoeank posted:

Speaking of the DUI, I do auto inspections for an auto insurance company in San Jose & I did an inspection the other day at the shop where Aldon takes his cars.

I commented that he must be good for business. Apparently the owner & Aldon Smith are friends and the owner was not amused.

So the answer was yes then?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Josh McDaniels has a fanbase?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

swickles posted:

Every. For reasonable cause: existing

e: serious answer would probably be the Jets because Tebow talk took up their entire season and he had like 20 total touches

TFF as a whole was pissed that he never got to start because that would have been magical

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 22, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Slighted means the fanbase expected a guy to stay for a new contract or what have you. You can't be slighted by a player when they are cut or traded. You might feel slighted by the team, but that wasn't the players decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm a Philly sports fan, we don't care under what circumstances a person left, we boo all of them except for Jim Thome

The applause for Andy Reid was a digital trick by NFL Network

• Locked thread