Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Ah, let's just get back to Starbound. The community is toxic and it's ruining what should really be an amazing positive experience for the development team but ultimately we're in no position to really fix that, just wish them well, cookies or no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
the best minecarft mod made it to starbound

bees..

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think possibly the biggest issue is how increasingly common free to play is becoming on top of indie sandbox devs promising "free updates, forever." In either case a lot of people feel entitled to play games for free and get entertained for free while forgetting that game companies are staffed by living, breathing people that have to do silly things like make rent and eat. That takes a steady revenue stream and, soon as that dries up, that means no more updates. It isn't always a case like Terraria where it sold well over a million copies, got paid for a port, and landed the guy a bag of money so big he'll never actually need to work again if he doesn't spend like a twit but even that doesn't mean that he owes people a goddamned thing.

Promising updates, or adding them later, is partly done in the hopes that more people will purchase the game as it improves. Yeah, devs want money and are going to try to capitalize on the game but that's because devs need to eat. If the sales dry up then a developer needs to make rent some other way.

I think another thing that disrupts peoples' expectations is the existence of Dwarf Fortress. Toady has never once actually sold a copy of the game and lives entirely off of donations. People that like sandbox games also tend to dick around with Dwarf Fortress and even in a case where it's a free game he asks for donations for there are people demanding their donations back. Yeah Toady sometimes takes a long time between updates but whatever, part of the appeal of Dwarf Fortress is the high level of sheer madness.

I preordered Starbound and wish I could have afforded a higher donation tier but I'm a broke rear end college student. Even so, thanks a pile for the fun I got out of Starbound already, Chucklefish. Even in its incomplete state I think Starbound is a pretty good game and am glad I gave you my :10bux:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

bees..

I... Oh God...

I mean, if they removed 75% of the tedium and put everything else in, it could be really neat.

They won't though.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Saxophone posted:

I... Oh God...

I mean, if they removed 75% of the tedium and put everything else in, it could be really neat.

They won't though.

I would settle for his understanding that putting sleepercode in mods to gently caress over users who use modpacks you don't like is a lovely thing to do and should be severely punished.

Edit: Apparently it's not by the same guy. Which is probably for the better, considering the aforementioned obsession with tedium.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 20, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's not the best Minecraft mod

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I thought the best minecraft mod was Better Than Wolves, since it is clearly not made by a giant spergy manchild-dramaqueen and in no way at all incompatible with exactly everything else? :)

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to seeing what'll be modded in once Starbound gets further along in development. There are good things in the future, I think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The amount of misplaced effort put into this mod is staggering.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
What I don't get is how this guy made an entire mod about weed and is still afraid to call it weed and instead calls it toke. Toke is a loving verb you ingrate!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Hey, I heard that the combat changes are in the unstable version, so I switched over to that in my steam preferences, but I haven't noticed anything-is there something else I need to do?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

IronicDongz posted:

Hey, I heard that the combat changes are in the unstable version, so I switched over to that in my steam preferences, but I haven't noticed anything-is there something else I need to do?

You will need to craft (maybe!) or find new (as in previously not dropped, generated) weapons supported by its changes, mainly two-handed ones like spears.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 20, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

MrLonghair posted:

You will need to craft (maybe!) or find new (as in previously not dropped, generated) weapons supported by its changes, mainly two-handed ones like spears.

And if any mods had added weapons they would need to be updated and re-made in game.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Ooh, updates!

This seems like it's going to be a quest-giver of some sort, as well as a general ship management console? It looks like this is how you get your matter manipulator back if you somehow hit rock bottom.

More ships!

This seems like a mockup of the aforementioned AI screen.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Cool, time to draw a big skull!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Cool, time to draw a big skull!

Make sure it's on fire.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zereth posted:

Make sure it's on fire.

CYBER FIRE :supaburn:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the idea of combining a bunch of functions into one panel, I can see it being useful on larger ships, as you could just put AI consoles around the place and access all the ship functions from different places.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Babyface Mingo posted:

bees..

yessssss

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Wow, how can you guys not know of the real best mod from Minecraft.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Vanderdeath posted:

Wow, how can you guys not know of the real best mod from Minecraft.

What about the REAL best minecraft mod? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0wUXfoRvlo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

CYBER FIRE :supaburn:

Give it a Mohawk made out of a circuit board.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Section Z posted:

Give it a Mohawk made out of a circuit board.

And sunglasses!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

And make it shredding on a mad space guitar with its teeth.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I don't think that will all fit

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Ok so i spent some time playing this finally... when do i start to get cool stuff. Being a spacefaring mohawk birdman with a spear doesnt really cut it thus far.

After completing the "quests" is it a matter of upgrade starmap>go explore?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Babyface Mingo posted:

bees..

Here is a far better version.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/bees.1585/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SquirrelGrip posted:

Ok so i spent some time playing this finally... when do i start to get cool stuff. Being a spacefaring mohawk birdman with a spear doesnt really cut it thus far.

After completing the "quests" is it a matter of upgrade starmap>go explore?

Yes. Although you don't need a starmap to get to another planet in the same system. I think it costs like...200 fuel?

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
It's only 50 fuel for travel in the same system.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I don't think that will all fit

Then you're just not trying hard enough to be rad as gently caress

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Have the AI be the top notch CGI that was used in 80s movies. Some War Games poo poo

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 21, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I don't know why but the thought of hunting for bees in Starbound is amazing.

Maybe this explains why I like setting up hives in Dwarf Fortress despite them mostly being a nuisance that gets my dwarves stung.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not to bring the community back up again, but, the following is a real post I actually had to make on a video gaming forum.

"Lets steer away from rape discussions if you don't mind."

:negative:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Eonwe posted:

Not to bring the community back up again, but, the following is a real post I actually had to make on a video gaming forum.

I don't understand why these people aren't just banned. Nobody will miss them, and it sets an example.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Volt Catfish posted:

I don't understand why these people aren't just banned. Nobody will miss them, and it sets an example.

Because for every N such users that you ban, 1 of them will explode in a fit of drama, resulting in lots of work banning sockpuppets and alts.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

Because for every N such users that you ban, 1 of them will explode in a fit of drama, resulting in lots of work banning sockpuppets and alts.

The price of not having rape tangents in your video game discussions is eternal vigilance.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Eonwe posted:

I double checked your Forum Rules because surely poo poo like that would be a ban-able offense and holy crap. While I appreciate the fact that they tried to make a set of rules that was simple and wouldn't cause too many issues they seriously need to lay down some ACTUAL Forums Rules with actual consequences for being a shitlord.

Maybe require all Forums accounts to be tied to a copy of the game by Product Key? Effectively putting the forums behind a paywall and making consequences for breaking the rules have meaning. I hear that's a good way to stop people being shitheels for the most part. :v:

Though I imagine this is completely unfeasable aside from having an actual rule set.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is there some reason the Skellies AI should be anything other than literally Max Headroom?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Nighthand posted:

Is there some reason the Skellies AI should be anything other than literally Max Headroom?

Shoehead listen to this person!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cernunnos posted:

I double checked your Forum Rules because surely poo poo like that would be a ban-able offense and holy crap. While I appreciate the fact that they tried to make a set of rules that was simple and wouldn't cause too many issues they seriously need to lay down some ACTUAL Forums Rules with actual consequences for being a shitlord.

Maybe require all Forums accounts to be tied to a copy of the game by Product Key? Effectively putting the forums behind a paywall and making consequences for breaking the rules have meaning. I hear that's a good way to stop people being shitheels for the most part. :v:

Though I imagine this is completely unfeasable aside from having an actual rule set.

I've moderated and ran a few forums over the years and there's always a bizarre balance of making forum rules. Hell you can even look at SomethingAwful here to see what I mean. The rules are pretty specifically enumerated but you have people looking for little ways to get past them. Even with rules like "these rules can be expanded and if you're being a shitlord without breaking any of these actual rules you get banned anyway" people will still go nuclear if you so much as think about banning them. Granted, SA has an advantage over other forums in that it's an ancient, popular forum with a long-standing culture and a paywall. And probably the best forum on the internet.

If you make too many rules you're forums Hitler. If you don't make enough rules or enforce them too loosely you end up with TVTropes on your hands. If you try for a balance there's always that one shitlord that will force rape fantasies, insane fetishes, or poo poo you don't want mentioned into every thread. He'll become a cancer that begins consuming everything around him and, before you know it, he has a whole army of friends, sockpuppets, and alternate accounts ready to dogpile on anything that seems to be criticizing him. You can't even say "this poo poo makes people uncomfortable loving stop it" or he'll go insane and create massive drama with the potential to shatter forums.

What I found was that, even with free forums, the best thing to do is have a simple rule to get rid of that sort of thing. "Do not discuss anything illegal, openly or via PM. I do not want to get a phone call from the police because of your stupid rear end." By the way, rape is illegal, don't talk about it. It can be useful to say "there are forums where you can discuss those things. This is not one of them." It isn't fun (which is why I don't moderate or run forums these days because holy poo poo is that a horrible, thankless task) but sometimes you just have to rule poo poo with an iron fist. The last rule I had was "My word is law on these forums. If you do not like that go away." Yes people are going to create drama anyway or try to challenge the authority but you just stomp the boot down and not budge. Just set the boundaries and let the stupid internet manchildren know that they can do whatever the hell they want inside of them but the instant they cross a line the gauntlet goes down.

But what I find absolutely baffling is why the internet has this bizarre little culture that roams around the internet that feels a weird need to shove rape mods and fantasies into absolutely everything, everywhere. It isn't OK and this group is utterly cancerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've moderated and ran a few forums over the years and there's always a bizarre balance of making forum rules. Hell you can even look at SomethingAwful here to see what I mean. The rules are pretty specifically enumerated but you have people looking for little ways to get past them. Even with rules like "these rules can be expanded and if you're being a shitlord without breaking any of these actual rules you get banned anyway" people will still go nuclear if you so much as think about banning them. Granted, SA has an advantage over other forums in that it's an ancient, popular forum with a long-standing culture and a paywall. And probably the best forum on the internet.

If you make too many rules you're forums Hitler. If you don't make enough rules or enforce them too loosely you end up with TVTropes on your hands. If you try for a balance there's always that one shitlord that will force rape fantasies, insane fetishes, or poo poo you don't want mentioned into every thread. He'll become a cancer that begins consuming everything around him and, before you know it, he has a whole army of friends, sockpuppets, and alternate accounts ready to dogpile on anything that seems to be criticizing him. You can't even say "this poo poo makes people uncomfortable loving stop it" or he'll go insane and create massive drama with the potential to shatter forums.

What I found was that, even with free forums, the best thing to do is have a simple rule to get rid of that sort of thing. "Do not discuss anything illegal, openly or via PM. I do not want to get a phone call from the police because of your stupid rear end." By the way, rape is illegal, don't talk about it. It can be useful to say "there are forums where you can discuss those things. This is not one of them." It isn't fun (which is why I don't moderate or run forums these days because holy poo poo is that a horrible, thankless task) but sometimes you just have to rule poo poo with an iron fist. The last rule I had was "My word is law on these forums. If you do not like that go away." Yes people are going to create drama anyway or try to challenge the authority but you just stomp the boot down and not budge. Just set the boundaries and let the stupid internet manchildren know that they can do whatever the hell they want inside of them but the instant they cross a line the gauntlet goes down.

But what I find absolutely baffling is why the internet has this bizarre little culture that roams around the internet that feels a weird need to shove rape mods and fantasies into absolutely everything, everywhere. It isn't OK and this group is utterly cancerous.

Because people rarely do anything about it and it isn't publicly shamed. Most big gaming sites and personalities would never even mention the existence of such a thing. Gamers are mostly very apathetic toward just about anything which allows tons of awful behavior (within communities, and sometimes even from developers and publishers) to persist.

• Locked thread