Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sportsgenius86 posted:

NJPW Ishii is Tomohiro, who owns.

IGF Ishii is Satoshi, the gold medalist judoka and awful MMA fighter.

oh that's right. Satoshi got lazily whooped by Fedor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

NJPW Ishii is Tomohiro, who owns.

IGF Ishii is Satoshi, the gold medalist judoka and awful MMA fighter.

World Champion MMA Fighter.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!
Hey guys,
I haven't been around much as I've been working like a fiend on DVDs & Bluray stuff... Ironically I'm even slipping when it comes to keeping up with wrestling. Hope Bryan's luck turns around, he's had a poo poo month despite his title win. Mentioning this in a puro thread mostly because he's got some solid future opponents coming in...

Excited to see Devitt & KENTA show up in WWE. I strongly suspect they're planning on re-creating a Junior Heavyweight Title as a secondary top tier title. Fingers crossed...

DG:
Was kind of surprised Ricochet dropped his title so soon. Anyone know if there's a reason or was it just because?

By the way, WOOT:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

RudoReels posted:

DG:
Was kind of surprised Ricochet dropped his title so soon. Anyone know if there's a reason or was it just because?

They've footballed their top belt around a lot since CIMA finally dropped it last summer, a couple guys had reigns shorter than he did.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

RudoReels posted:

DG:

They wanted the belt off him before the Super Juniors and didn't want the champion losing solo matches. YAMATO is probably not going to have a long reign either.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

Thauros posted:

They've footballed their top belt around a lot since CIMA finally dropped it last summer, a couple guys had reigns shorter than he did.

Gotcha. I've only recently started paying attention since I've begun authoring my discs so I'm admittedly not up on a whole lot of their recent years' history. I want to say "there's too much wrestling" like it's a bad thing, except it's never a bad thing. :p But there really is a lot going on in the wrestling world at any given time...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

They wanted the belt off him before the Super Juniors and didn't want the champion losing solo matches. YAMATO is probably not going to have a long reign either.

Ah, makes sense. I didn't even think of that. Very smart of them to do that. Thanks

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If anyone is interested, ivpvideos.com is doing a decent sale this weekend, 30% off a $50 order, or a smaller % off a cheaper order. I plan to order a bunch of random poo poo off there and then see if any of it is any good.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Jimmy Susumu beat T-Hawk in the finals of Dragon Gate's King of Gate 2014 tourney. Susumu's been having an incredible year & should be under consideration for Most Outstanding. I also wonder if this means that Genki Horiguchi has to retire the King of Gate 2012 tank top or give it to Susumu.

Susumu gets a Dream Gate shot against YAMATO, in what is the last defense before Dragon Gate's biggest show of the year, Kobe World 15th Anniversary.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dragon Gate has an iPPV tomorrow from their monthly show at Korauken Hall. It's $15 and can be purchased at http://www.ustream.tv/DragonGate It's sort of a mid point between DEAD OR ALIVE and the doubleheader CHAMPION GATE next weekend but it still has a couple of big matches.

Here's the lineup from iHEARTdg.com:

0. K-ness, Kenichiro Arai vs. Super Shisa, Chihiro Tominaga
1. U-T, Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs. Gamma, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa
2. Open the Brave Gate #1 Contender Match: Jimmy Kagetora vs. Shachihoko BOY
3. Don Fujii, Ryotsu Shimizu vs. Jimmy Susumu, Mr. High Tension Kotoka
4. T-Hawk, Eita vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Kid
5. Masato Yoshino, Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi vs. Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Jimmy Kanda
6. Nombre contra Nombre 5 vs. 1 Scramble Elimination Match: YAMATO, Kzy, Naruki Doi, Cyber Kong, Mondai Ryu vs. BxB Hulk
*Hulk will face each member of MAD BLANKEY in a series of singles matches. He has to defeat all of them to win the match. MAD BLANKEY only need to defeat Hulk once. The winners of the match gain the rights to the MAD BLANKEY name and logo

Matches 4-6 all have potential to be really good to great and 3 is a sleeper. I've been championing Jimmy Susumu for a while and that's an interesting mentor/student match up that should show off Shimizu's growth. I also expect some Susumu v YAMATO interaction leading up to the Dream Gate match at CHAMPION GATE. There hasn't been any announcements about the order of the Scramble match so I suspect that'll be revealed early on the show. The scramble match has huge connotations in regards to Unit Shuffling that started to happen with Hulk quitting Mad Blankey.

EDIT: Forgot to give the start time: 5:30 AM EDT/4:30/3:30/2:30 PDT

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 4, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gah I totally forgot about this show so thanks for post. Looks like a pretty solid card for $15.

My favorite thing about Dragon Gate is that I can hold off on watching that show until the weekend and I don't have to worry about encountering spoilers for it anywhere.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 4, 2014

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
oh man, I forgot all about that show. Thanks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
All Japan could be dead by the end of the month, could have a change in power structure or because it is Japan I bet we'll just see it split in two!

quote:

There is a major internal shakeup going on. I don’t have all the details but the fallout is that Tokyo Sports reported on 6/4 is that all the wrestlers were planning on leaving the company and that Jun Akiyama would start up as the president of a new company on 7/1. All the wrestlers had only signed six month deals, which says something about owner Nobuo Shiraishi’s commitment, so all contracts expired on 6/30 and the wrestlers are free to leave. As best we can tell, and this was all breaking at press time, is that all of the wrestlers are tired of Shiraishi and his decisions regarding running the company and the things he says in social media and they want out. They cite the decline in attendance to show that his direction isn’t working. The attendance wasn’t good at the start and the promotion was deep in red ink when Shiraishi bought the company after years of management by Keiji Muto. Muto and Shiraishi had problems from the start which led to Muto leaving and forming Wrestle-1, taking much of the talent with him, and business plunged even more. The wrestlers want to completely revamp the product. Akiyama would be the public face of the company as the biggest star but the guys who were handling the wrestling end were referee Kyohei Wada and veteran Masa Fuchi. Nobody wants to work for Shiraishi but right now they don’t have access to any financial support. Akiyama has reportedly talked with Motoko Baba about getting back into pro wrestling as the owner. I can’t see that at all, since she retired in 2002 and had no more interest at that point in her life to run the company or carry on the business without her husband, who passed away in 1999. Plus, almost all the wrestlers that were around in 2000, including Akiyama, quit All Japan largely because of her, to form Pro Wrestling NOAH. There is talk of them starting up and having to use a different name if Shiraishi doesn’t sell or give up power. Other things said are that the first show of the new group would be 7/12 in Osaka and that they are talking with Baba about reviving the original three belts from the 70s, the old PWF, International and United National belts for the Triple Crown. Baba owned the belts themselves and spent years trying to get them back as Muto, when he was president, never returned them to her. Shiraishi created a new Triple Crown singular belt and returned the original belts to Baba.

Per the new Observer. More promotions for the puro god.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Imagine if WWE would buy AJPW footage. Do you think archives like it exist like with American promotions?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

AJPW, NOAH, and W-1 all seem to be doing pretty lovely right now, I don't know why Akiyama would think there's room for yet another splinter fed. I guess if he finds some money marks to help keep it running it might still be beneficial to him.

KungFu Grip posted:

Imagine if WWE would buy AJPW footage. Do you think archives like it exist like with American promotions?

I don't know, but my hunch is that it does because I don't see why it wouldn't. NJPW certainly pulls out old footage once in a while.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 5, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

I'm not sure what the deal with the broadcast rights are but they definitely aired tons of classic All Japan on Samurai TV in the past. Not sure if they still do but the tape library should be in good shape.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Even if the TV stuff was somehow unavailable and they only had access to the DVDs that All Japan has released commercially, it would still be an absolute gold mine. But I bet the TV stuff is available somehow.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not sure what the deal with the broadcast rights are but they definitely aired tons of classic All Japan on Samurai TV in the past. Not sure if they still do but the tape library should be in good shape.

It'd be really nice to see WWE try and grab the AJPW and NOAH libraries when/if they go out of business. The AJW library too. I doubt any of that would ever happen though.

Thauros posted:

AJPW, NOAH, and W-1 all seem to be doing pretty lovely right now, I don't know why Akiyama would think there's room for yet another splinter fed. I guess if he finds some money marks to help keep it running it might still be beneficial to him.

If? This is Japan, there is always going to be a money mark and/or shady investor. Pro wrestling companies in Japan are basically the hydra.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Don't forget Zero-1 is still limping along.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

KungFu Grip posted:

I assume it would be good to have for a Network expansion in Asia, but other than that why would they want them? Are they planning on a Best of Dr. Death DVD or something? There aren't a lot of guys of any importance to the WWE who spent significant time in AJPW except maybe Vader and Muta (for his WCW footage). I guess Johnny Ace too.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
NTV owns all the pre-split All Japan footage along with the NOAH footage. From what I can tell, some footage from before '80 or so has been lost, but not too much. They release DVD sets with superb video quality, which makes it clear they have a good archive and touch things up.

Similar situation with New Japan and their network.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Bigass Moth posted:

I guess Johnny Ace too.
Man, imagine Big Johnny responding to one of Punk's "your old and your dumb and you carry your lady parts in your man purse" promos during their feud with "I see you sharpied someone's name on your wrist tape there. Real cute. Please remind me: Which one of us spent most of the 90s kicking that guy's rear end?" followed by a montage of ace crushers to AJPW legends.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

Man, imagine Big Johnny responding to one of Punk's "your old and your dumb and you carry your lady parts in your man purse" promos during their feud with "I see you sharpied someone's name on your wrist tape there. Real cute. Please remind me: Which one of us spent most of the 90s kicking that guy's rear end?" followed by a montage of ace crushers to AJPW legends.

That's giving Johnny way too much credit in the promo department.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Dragon Gate has an iPPV tomorrow from their monthly show at Korauken Hall. It's $15 and can be purchased at http://www.ustream.tv/DragonGate It's sort of a mid point between DEAD OR ALIVE and the doubleheader CHAMPION GATE next weekend but it still has a couple of big matches.

Here's the lineup from iHEARTdg.com:

0. K-ness, Kenichiro Arai vs. Super Shisa, Chihiro Tominaga
1. U-T, Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs. Gamma, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa
2. Open the Brave Gate #1 Contender Match: Jimmy Kagetora vs. Shachihoko BOY
3. Don Fujii, Ryotsu Shimizu vs. Jimmy Susumu, Mr. High Tension Kotoka
4. T-Hawk, Eita vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Kid
5. Masato Yoshino, Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi vs. Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Jimmy Kanda
6. Nombre contra Nombre 5 vs. 1 Scramble Elimination Match: YAMATO, Kzy, Naruki Doi, Cyber Kong, Mondai Ryu vs. BxB Hulk
*Hulk will face each member of MAD BLANKEY in a series of singles matches. He has to defeat all of them to win the match. MAD BLANKEY only need to defeat Hulk once. The winners of the match gain the rights to the MAD BLANKEY name and logo

Matches 4-6 all have potential to be really good to great and 3 is a sleeper. I've been championing Jimmy Susumu for a while and that's an interesting mentor/student match up that should show off Shimizu's growth. I also expect some Susumu v YAMATO interaction leading up to the Dream Gate match at CHAMPION GATE. There hasn't been any announcements about the order of the Scramble match so I suspect that'll be revealed early on the show. The scramble match has huge connotations in regards to Unit Shuffling that started to happen with Hulk quitting Mad Blankey.

EDIT: Forgot to give the start time: 5:30 AM EDT/4:30/3:30/2:30 PDT

Turns out this was a fun show and the last match was really really great. For the next show they announced:

-Kotoka vs. Chihiro Tominaga (the loser must get a perm haircut)
-Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi, Uhaa Nation vs. T-Hawk, Eita, Flamita
-YAMATO, Naruki Doi vs. BxB Hulk, Masaaki Mochizuki (Hulk only agreed to team with Mochizuki if he performs the BxB Hulk Dance with him)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
An update on the AJPW situation, from Puroresu Spirit:

quote:

The new AJPW President Jun Akiyama officially announced the establishment of a new company, and the 13 wrestlers affiliated with AJPW will be joining it as well.

The aim of the new promotion now is to try and restore the confidence that has been damaged by the owner Nobuo Shiraishi. Akiyama’s new venture will indeed be picking up everything that was being done by All Japan including the titles and even the scheduled events in the coming months. This Includes the big show at the Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium, 6,000-7,000 give or take seat max, on August 30. Which will be Akiyama first major test in regards to the fans either accepting the changes or not.

All Japan will be carrying on as scheduled throughout this month including the Triple Crown match between Takao Omori and Jun Akiyama at the Korakuen Hall on June 15. Then as of the next tour “2014 Summer Action Series” that begins on July 12 will be a part of the new changes.

The full event card for the upcoming Korakuen Hall show on June 15 has been announced as well.

All Japan Pro-Wrestling “2014 Dynamite Series”, 6/15/2014 [Sun] 12:00 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo

() Ryuji Hijikata [FREE] vs. Masao Inoue
() Osamu Nishimura [FREE] & Koji Doi [WNC] vs. Yutaka Yoshie [FREE] & Masato Shibata [U-FILE CAMP]
() Mitsuya Nagai [DRADITION] & Kengo Mashimo [K-DOJO] vs. Kento Miyahara & Menso~re Oyaji [FREE]
() KENSO & Hideki Suzuki [FREE] vs. Suwama & Hikaru Sato [Pancrase MISSION]
() Jr. Scramble Premium Tag Match: Atsushi Aoki & Masanobu Fuchi vs. Ultimo Dragon & Yoshinobu Kanemaru

() GAORA TV Championship Match: [4th Champion] Kotaro Suzuki vs. [Challenger] SUSHI
~ First title defense.

() Triple Crown Championship Decision Match: Takao Omori vs. Jun Akiyama
~ Winner becomes the 48th generation champion.

Depending on whether or not Akiyama changes the name (does Shiraishi own the name 'Zen Nihon Puroresu' now?) that Korakuen show could technically be the last All Japan card, but the Triple Crown lineage, scheduled shows, etc. will be inherited by the new promotion. So either way the essence of AJPW will live (shamble?) on.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait the president of All Japan is taking all the titles and wrestlers and events to a new company even though there's a separate owner? How does that work

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I have no earthly idea who owns what parts of AJPW now. At first I thought that whatever the new company was it'd still be a subsidy of Shiraishi's parent company, but apparently Shiraishi released a statement saying he's providing funding to Akiyama's venture, as if it were a separate thing.

It's a mess.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I thought they said Baba's wife owns the actual belts so maybe she's letting Akiyama take them with him? What a weird situation.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

a bunch of AJPW contracts are up soon because Shiraishi only made short term contracts for a bunch of talent I think.

basically his tenure in AJPW is like a kid playing with someone else's lego set and he didn't care if he messed anything up and he brought his own super shredder toy over and stomped around the lego city where he had no place and eventually toppled the whole thing into rubble and also no lego people attended the events held in said city.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Just finished Dragon Gate's Korauken Hall show and it was a whole lot of fun. It didn't have the blowaway matches or story of Dead or Alive or the last Hall show but for $15 bucks it's worth it. I love how the BxB Hulk storyline is going and hope it doesn't end with him just winning the belt at World and joining Monster Express. It'd be good for them to have a unit-less Tecnico champion, but they've never pulled it off before.

I thought the Millenials/Veteran tag was the best thing on the show. Angry Mocchy is fantastic and T-Hawk is such a great foil for him. Also Eita might soon be in the running for the sleaziest wrestler in Japan.

The Jimmyz/Monster Express trios match was fun but I'm kind of tired of Jimmyz. I thought they'd finally implode and everyone disperse in the upcoming unit shuffle.

Dragon Gate's been hitting on all cylinders as of late and it's a good time to hop aboard heading into their biggest show of the year in July.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

masato tatanka posted:

a bunch of AJPW contracts are up soon because Shiraishi only made short term contracts for a bunch of talent I think.

basically his tenure in AJPW is like a kid playing with someone else's lego set and he didn't care if he messed anything up and he brought his own super shredder toy over and stomped around the lego city where he had no place and eventually toppled the whole thing into rubble and also no lego people attended the events held in said city.

Is Shiraishi the one who criticized New Japan for promoting worked wrestling matches

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

oatgan posted:

Is Shiraishi the one who criticized New Japan for promoting worked wrestling matches

Wasn't that also in the same statement as intending to hire The Rock

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shiraishi and Dixie should hook up, Serge would like that.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Was going to ask this in the WWE discussion thread before I realized where I was.

Is Andre a revered figure in Japan like he is in WWE/USA?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ChikoDemono posted:

Was going to ask this in the WWE discussion thread before I realized where I was.

Is Andre a revered figure in Japan like he is in WWE/USA?

Yeah pretty much. He was a big deal all over the world when he showed up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Champion Akiyama will be in the next AJPW Triple Crown title match, so the Triple Crown holder could also be the Ironman champion if Akiyama doesn't lose the title first.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

The DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Champion Akiyama will be in the next AJPW Triple Crown title match, so the Triple Crown holder could also be the Ironman champion if Akiyama doesn't lose the title first.

Hopefully he lays on his back with the Triple Crown on his chest so the Triple Crown can become the new Iron Man champion.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Akiyama lost the belt.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought the DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship was the current DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Champion

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Akiyama beat the belt at the end of the show where that happened.

Gosh, it's almost like the ironman title is hard to keep track of or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Details on how Akiyama lost the championship here.