Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Danny Glands posted:

I think after Bronzestabbed ends, I'm gonna do a vanilla DF LP that's not going to be a succession, since I kinda had a problem getting new overseers into my last succession RP.

And besides, I think a Masterwork succession LP would be best to be the flagship DFLP of SA, not my dinky little one-player run.

I would thoroughly appreciate this! I can't stand the succession LPs anymore as they devolve into fanfictions and "HOW WACKY IS THIS!!" circles, so it would be nice to have an actual playthrough of it made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It isn't on the official LP Archive, but Bad Munki archived it here: http://gemclod.goondorfs.net/

I'm pretty sure someone made a music pack for LNP with songs about gemclod. It was pretty hilarious to (if repetitive) to play. I just remember when migrants came with that sound pack a dwarf would say I hope they bring cats I love cats mmmmmm cats!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It isn't on the official LP Archive, but Bad Munki archived it here: http://gemclod.goondorfs.net/

So far this is a decent read. Thanks!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently the guy that does Masterwork doesn't play Dwarf Fortress. Somehow that explains a lot.

Wait. What? Seriously?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Diogines posted:

Wait. What? Seriously?

Next you'll be surprised that Notch doesn't play Minecraft.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Leperflesh posted:

You don't need to wait for Bronzestabbed to end (bronzestabbed is never going to end :negative:) - there's hundreds of goons interested in DF LPs. You'll be guaranteed an audience unless your writing is terrible.

Also, though, if you're thinking of doing a vanilla LP, you might wait till the next big DF release? It seems like it's going to be somewhat soonish...

Also also though, I doubt the next "flagship DFLP" will be masterwork, because it will probably instead be showing off DF2014.

Mm. Probably true with that. I can't wait to see what curveballs Armok will throw me, so best to wait then.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Diogines posted:

Wait. What? Seriously?

poo poo, I haven't played an earnest, full lifespan of a fort for a long time now. Burned out on all the stuff that felt wrong and needed to be fixed first.

I'm sure the new version will give me a good kick in the pants, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toady doesn't really play fortress mode either. I mean he'll apparently start a fort just to test a thing or two, but he clearly doesn't play multi-year forts.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Notch not really playing Minecraft and Toady not really playing Dwarf Fortress both make sense, though.

Usually, hardcore modders actually play the games they mod, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

honk fart

Toady One posted:

We've returned from the event. There might even be audio of it in podcast form at some point, but that's not entirely decided. In any case, back to the dwarves! The main thing I worked on today was more cultural identity tracking during world gen, since the final communities at the end of world gen were having too much of their information washed out. Things are generally moving forward at a wholesome speed as the two year release anniversary creeps closer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Generally moving forward at a wholesome speed could mean anything though.

:smaug:

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
What could be more important than the continuity of communities you'll never interact with?

Next on the development plan:
Dwarven children now adopt pets whether you want them to or not.
Earthquakes! watch out for random cave and passage collapses.
More deadly snowballs for adventure mode.
Titans and night horrors get likes and dislikes.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
What was the basic story and outcome of Gemclod again? All I can remember is that the dwarves were pissed that goblins had integrated too much into society.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

TremendousMajestic posted:

What was the basic story and outcome of Gemclod again? All I can remember is that the dwarves were pissed that goblins had integrated too much into society.

That's Bronzestabbed, which is still going.

Gemclod was 'last stand of the Dwarves' because he filthy high elves had driven them to near extinction.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hey look @ this fuckin thing

quote:

[OS X Only]
I wrote this small plugin for myself because I was tired seeing coffins instead of zeroes and all that stuff.

It allows to specify separate fonts for map tiles and for text. GRAPHICS_FONT/GRAPHICS_FULLFONT will continue to be used for map area(s), and FONT/FULLFONT will be used for everything else. Requires OpenGL PRINT_MODE (STANDARD, VBO and so on). Adventurer mode and possibly some other screens need some more work.

This could be big. It warrants keeping an eye on, I think.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

scamtank posted:

The holy grail has been found!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

No joke I'm more looking forward to this than the update.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I tried to find some way to wrangle this into a Windows release, but I'm in over my head. The plugin itself seems to be written in C like all the others, but the compiling conventions are different and I have no idea how to reconcile them.

We'll have to wait for someone to beat it into shape.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh hell here's a devlog too

Toady One posted:

It's a continuing process as usual... more climbing tweaks, culminating with the new debug button to place all of the dwarves in the fortress up in the tree tops and see if they can make their way down. That all seemed to work, so hopefully there won't be too much stranding upon the release. Finished a portion of the XML that was missing... cleaned up some busted banter... I ended up needing a preliminary conflict state "encounter" to handle some wilderness animal interruption issues. It doesn't do much at the moment aside from manage job cancellation issues, but I imagine it'll be the foundation for things like threat displays etc. later.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Dwarf Ewok Fortress

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
vaporware fortress

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

scamtank posted:

Any 3rd party confirmation it works?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nowhere that I can see. I'm personally just waiting for Bad Munki to stumble in and take notice.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

vaporware fortress

It's been so long since I saw the screenshots of multi-tile trees that I feel like I've actually played that version.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Nowhere that I can see. I'm personally just waiting for Bad Munki to stumble in and take notice.

Fuuuuuuuuuck I got called out.

Trip report thus far: this plugin crashes DF. I should probably make sure I'm running the latest dfhack LNP MCP FBI ABC and possibly try compiling it on my system. I'm running 10.9, and I've seen problems crop up with that.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 22, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Only 40 Z levels until I am pumping lava wherever I want. Life is good.

This makes up for noticing a much, much higher magma source in a cavern lava tube.

Plus I just had a dwarven prodigy become a legendary engraver. I'd prefer an artifact of some utility, but I'll settle for just throwing this amulet on the pile with the rest.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

scamtank posted:

Looks like he uploaded a windows version as well, tho I seem entirely too retarded to figure out how to apply it. I'm guessing extract everything to the dfhack/plugins, include the ascii tileset in art/graphics, change the graphics_fullfont to point to that, and something about OpenGL/no TTF (stuck in this part).

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 23, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'd already started compiling a new batch of r4 from the raw .cpp in there before I'd noticed there's a ready-made .dll in the mix. Oops.

It demands an r3 build of DFHack and I still can't get the raw file to compile, but here it is.

This is Phoebus 16x16 smooshed with a tiny Taffer 10x10 ASCII thing. It sorta works, but Bronzestabbed crashes immediately when I unpause. I wonder if neatly scaling proportions (8x8, 12x12, 16x16) would make that fuzzy anti-aliasing go away.

canepazzo posted:

Looks like he uploaded a windows version as well, tho I seem entirely too retarded to figure out how to apply it. I'm guessing extract everything to the dfhack/plugins, include the ascii tileset in art/graphics, change the graphics_fullfont to point to that, and something about OpenGL/no TTF (stuck in this part).

The ASCII font is there only if you can't be arsed to find anything yourself. You just need to use some ordinary ASCII tileset for FONT/FULLFONT, the fancy tileset for GRAPHICS_FONT/GRAPHICS_FULLFONT and make sure the PRINTMODE is something OpenGL can understand, such as STANDARD. GRAPHICS:YES might also be needed.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Only 40 Z levels until I am pumping lava wherever I want. Life is good.

This makes up for noticing a much, much higher magma source in a cavern lava tube.

Plus I just had a dwarven prodigy become a legendary engraver. I'd prefer an artifact of some utility, but I'll settle for just throwing this amulet on the pile with the rest.

Please don't underestimate engravers. They are my best friend, and I love them to pieces because they make the most misstreated dwarves ecstatic - purely out of the fact that he has a 2x2 bedroom with some pictures in it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

scamtank posted:

The ASCII font is there only if you can't be arsed to find anything yourself. You just need to use some ordinary ASCII tileset for FONT/FULLFONT, the fancy tileset for GRAPHICS_FONT/GRAPHICS_FULLFONT and make sure the PRINTMODE is something OpenGL can understand, such as STANDARD. GRAPHICS:YES might also be needed.

This worked perfectly, no crashes on unpause on a new game. I'm assuming it's only working on fullscreen?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The effect should be immediately obvious when the main menu font suddenly changes shape. If not, something's up.

This thing seems to specifically require the r3 build of DFHack. Did you get a red error message in the console window?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

scamtank posted:

The effect should be immediately obvious when the main menu font suddenly changes shape. If not, something's up.

This thing seems to specifically require the r3 build of DFHack. Did you get a red error message in the console window?

Yeah, using r3. No error messages that I can see. Tried multiple graphics (Ironhand, Spacefox, Phoebus), multiple fonts (CLA, default ascii, a few others from the repository). Only had crashes on quit a couple of times, but gameplay was working fine.

The way the script seems to run is launching the game with the font from the graphic set, it stays a couple seconds up, then the script runs and leaves your DF minimized. When you maximise DF again, the font have been applied and all's good.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Michaellaneous posted:

Please don't underestimate engravers. They are my best friend, and I love them to pieces because they make the most misstreated dwarves ecstatic - purely out of the fact that he has a 2x2 bedroom with some pictures in it.

I already have 2 or 3 legendary engravers. Also, a lot of my common areas are already engraved with exceptional and masterful pictures — mostly the "giant jaguar kills someone" motif, but finally my dwarves have begun acknowledging the accomplishments of our fortress in the past decade or so. Finally some engravings of people who are not the mayor or broker! A new section of giant jaguar history is still revealed now and then. Maybe my dwarves are like the Aztec or something?

I opt for the 3x2 bedroom for undistinguished dwarves. I have not gotten around to fitting a table and chair in each as my plan calls for, but there is space. 3x2 bedrooms in 5x5 blocks of rooms.

Do you engrave walls also? I have been avoiding it because of the extra difficulty it would add in distinguishing the rooms from each other (as they are already crowded and cluttered.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I opt for the 3x2 bedroom for undistinguished dwarves. I have not gotten around to fitting a table and chair in each as my plan calls for, but there is space.

Table and chair is a bad idea. If a dwarf owns a chair he'll sit in it to eat his meals instead of the lavish public dining hall. I usually give them a chest/coffer and a cabinet. The'll occasionally admire the furniture, it makes the room nicer. And they'll store their old clothes in the cabinet rather than leaving them littering the halls.

They used to keep coins in bedroom coffer/chests, I think the only thing that can go in them now are owned meals. If a military dwarf claims a food item and stores it in his backpack and then for some reason stops wearing the backpack, the meal will fall out of the backpack onto the floor. Nobody will put it in a stockpile because it is an owned item, so it just sits there and rots. If the owner also owns a chest he will eventually collect the meal and put it in a chest. I'm pretty sure it still rots, but at least it only stinks up his own bedroom. Of course the more sensible solution is just to not allow military dwarfs to carry food.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

If there's some weird circumstance where an immigrant hunter festooned with trophy items for his kills feels the need to switch uniform, the earrings and bracelets also go in the chest.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Angela Christine posted:

Table and chair is a bad idea. If a dwarf owns a chair he'll sit in it to eat his meals instead of the lavish public dining hall. I usually give them a chest/coffer and a cabinet. The'll occasionally admire the furniture, it makes the room nicer. And they'll store their old clothes in the cabinet rather than leaving them littering the halls.

They used to keep coins in bedroom coffer/chests, I think the only thing that can go in them now are owned meals. If a military dwarf claims a food item and stores it in his backpack and then for some reason stops wearing the backpack, the meal will fall out of the backpack onto the floor. Nobody will put it in a stockpile because it is an owned item, so it just sits there and rots. If the owner also owns a chest he will eventually collect the meal and put it in a chest. I'm pretty sure it still rots, but at least it only stinks up his own bedroom. Of course the more sensible solution is just to not allow military dwarfs to carry food.

This is why you can't have nice things, URIST!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
In my experience only cheese things rot in coffers. And I don't deal in cheese because of how frequently it spoils and makes possible for any food containing it to spoil quickly.

I recall having a bunch of dwarves contented with their mini-fridges.

Now I just have to test this out again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Having some dwarves stash away rotting food in their chests sounds like a feature to me. Very realistic.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Tonight, on Tales of Bug Fixing:

Toady One posted:

The highlight of the last few bug-fixer sessions was definitely yesterday, when the king of my dwarves appointed a visiting merchant's yak as the general of the army while I was trading. I was working at the time on liaison issues -- the long-standing bug that fired the liaison when they left the map is handled, so you should get the same one every time now if something tragic doesn't happen to them, and I reconfirmed that if something bad does happen, you do get a new one. I guess I just need to make sure the new liaison doesn't end up being a work animal sometimes, which appears to be considered an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

In my experience only cheese things rot in coffers. And I don't deal in cheese because of how frequently it spoils and makes possible for any food containing it to spoil quickly.

Hmm, that could have been the problem. I deal in a lot of cheese. Come on, you can order milk for 1 dwarfbux, and with a single easy reaction it becomes worth 5! Roast it into a high quality meal and you're buying out caravans with leftovers.