Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You have the choice between the Crimson and the Scarlet edition of Comrade Red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So basically the same as Hong Kong

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

(Actually I have no idea if that's true)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Shanghai thing, not the Hong Kong thing

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yet another meat cleaver-wielding maniac in China going after elementary school kids. WTF China.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Bloodnose posted:

Ocean Park has cheap, direct buses from Admiralty station, which is the heart of the city's financial district and easily accessible from anywhere.

You should try staying in Tsim Sha Tsui or Admiralty/Central, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay are good second-tier choices. Restaurant recommendations depend on your budget and tastes.

I'll be back in HK by then (arriving the evening of April 17th), so I'll most likely be available to play guide if caberham is burned out on goonhosting.

caberham posted:

Oh a visitor, that's rare. For your budget stay here - Bishop Lei International House. It's not too expensive and is an actual hotel. Guest houses are more for the budget slumming back packing crowd.

You can check out the OP :ohdear: But HK is nice, we have a good mix of culture (history museum, villages, cage homes), food (everywhere), nature (island hopping and hikes), and city stuff. It really depends on what you are looking for.

How much money do you have? Hong Kong can be as cheap or expensive as you want. If you want top of the world, balls to the walls good dimsum go to Fook Lam Moon - for 2 people, prepare to spend 120 USD on lunch. Dinner is even more expensive. Not cheap, but the food is good.

As for other kinds of restaurants? We have good Cantonese food, great wonton noodles, but bad Non Cantonese Chinese food. Amazing sushi, decent beer bars and burgers and lots of big name steak houses. If you are not based in East Asia, go nuts with Japanese Ramen, sushi, legit Thai food at the Thai quarter and a few solid Indian/Pakistani/Nepal places. Vietnamese food here is weird though.

Then there's Macau. Great French Restaurant at Robuchon, Italian at Don Alfonso, and Goons with spoons Chef DontAskKant approved Portugese. They make bitching sangrias.

Oh and there's the racetrack :allears: Everyone has to visit the racetrack.

Sorry, I forgot to thank you guys when you took the time to respond to my post last month. So, thank you.

The wife and I are in HK now; we did end up booking at the Bishop Lei International House, and we're very happy with it. The price was right and the views are great in the harbor view suite. We're going to go to Ocean Park today, so hopefully the rain won't be too bad just yet. Are there any tour services that you could recommend, or should we just go out and explore on our own? We definitely wanted to see Victoria Peak and the other tourist sites around here tomorrow, though.

We had lunch at Mak's noodle yesterday, which is probably the best Wonton I've ever had. While exploring the mid-level escalator area going back to the hotel, we got jealous of a guy eating a burrito in the window of one of the restaurants in that area (Taco Loco?), so we ended up having that for dinner. I guess we'll have dim sum later tonight instead.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Like I always say, China's trying to copy all the bad part of the US.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Any chance we'll ever hear any of these attackers talk about what they were thinking or why they did it? Or even a psychologist who's spoken with them?

I'm betting it's something related to the sex ratio.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 22, 2014

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

pedro0930 posted:

Hello China goons, can't believe I'll be a China goon too pretty soon. I'll be in Shenzhen by this Friday. Is there any other China goon based in Shenzhen?

I'm in Shenzhen. Pretty sure someone asked me ages ago, so sorry for not responding to that person. Where you staying and what ya doing here?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Unless it fell apart in a pile of rust, I'd think he could wound a lot more than 8 kids with a meat cleaver.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

LentThem posted:

Unless it fell apart in a pile of rust, I'd think he could wound a lot more than 8 kids with a meat cleaver.

I watched part of a badminton tournament here at the high school last week and let me just say that showcase of Chinese dexterity leaves me surprised this guy was coordinated enough to hit 8.

Seriously though hope all the kids are okay. :smith:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blinkyzero posted:

I watched part of a badminton tournament here at the high school last week and let me just say that showcase of Chinese dexterity leaves me surprised this guy was coordinated enough to hit 8.

At the high school I was at a few years ago, there was a thrilling basketball match, half court game, between year 10 class 3 and year 10 class 5. It was 15 minutes running clock, three on three, and the final score was 6-4.

It was 6-2 and then with a minute left a kid hit a shot and the way the gym teacher celebrated you would have thought it was a mixture between China winning the World Cup and someone having a killer slam on MTV's short lived YO MOMMA.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

pedro0930 posted:

Hello China goons, can't believe I'll be a China goon too pretty soon. I'll be in Shenzhen by this Friday. Is there any other China goon based in Shenzhen?

ally_1986 posted:

I'm in Shenzhen. Pretty sure someone asked me ages ago, so sorry for not responding to that person. Where you staying and what ya doing here?

Oh hi, still in Shenzhen? Whereabouts are you? Are you free next Saturday on the 31st? We are having a major goon bbq. I'm trying to get MeramJert to come as well.

ihatepants posted:

Sorry, I forgot to thank you guys when you took the time to respond to my post last month. So, thank you.

The wife and I are in HK now; we did end up booking at the Bishop Lei International House, and we're very happy with it. The price was right and the views are great in the harbor view suite. We're going to go to Ocean Park today, so hopefully the rain won't be too bad just yet. Are there any tour services that you could recommend, or should we just go out and explore on our own? We definitely wanted to see Victoria Peak and the other tourist sites around here tomorrow, though.

We had lunch at Mak's noodle yesterday, which is probably the best Wonton I've ever had. While exploring the mid-level escalator area going back to the hotel, we got jealous of a guy eating a burrito in the window of one of the restaurants in that area (Taco Loco?), so we ended up having that for dinner. I guess we'll have dim sum later tonight instead.

I live a few blocks away from Bishop Lei. My weekend schedule is kind of packed but message me on wechat if you want to catch a drink or have some sweet dessert Cantonese soup somewhere.

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 22, 2014

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

Oh hi, still in Shenzhen? Whereabouts are you? Are you free next Saturday on the 31st? We are having a major goon bbq.

I am hungry for this already, goddamn. For once won't have any ridiculous meetings or other bullshit to deal with.

Gonna have to iron my jorts. :mrgw:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Xinjiang in the news again, and not surprisingly, it isn't for a good reason.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-05/22/content_17532424.htm

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have a very hard time walking past kids playing baseball here without correcting whatever* they're horribly botching.

*The answer is always everything. Last weekend Kant and I saw a kid with a bat holding it bolt upright against his hips and swinging by pivoting his whole body without moving his arms. And of course they were playing on blacktop with no stop or catcher so they had to chase the ball like 150 meters after the batter (shockingly) missed. My soul hurts.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from the LAN thread.

Ok, enough silly snarky posting for now. Going to start a GoonBq. Right now on my sign up sheet. I probably ought to make a google doc signup sheet.

:siren::pcgaming: May 31st, Hong Kong BBQ (Goon B Q - GBQ) MEGA MEET :pcgaming::siren:

MANDATORY Entry fee for food and drinks: 11RMB an hour

location - Sheung Wan, 1pm 85 Bonham Strand West :henget: https://goo.gl/maps/CJfg5

Goons and everyone welcome (We are not responsible if your significant other/friends is horrified of us.)

Goooooooon list - I Need to a rough head count to prepare food. I'm going to the butcher next week and will cut some steaks

Those who can come

1. Lurker Host - eats alot
  2. Lurker Milf Killer - doesn't eat much
  3. Blinky Zero - eats a truckload of American food
  4. Fear Cotton - doesn't eat much
  5. Magna Kaiser - doesn't eat much He lifts hardcore and can eat a lot.
  6. Bloodnose - Can eat
  7. Caberham - black hole stomach, can eat again once drunk
  8. Wonton - starting to eat a lot :getin:
  9. Lady Galaga - doesn't eat much
  10. Simple Fish - eats alot
  11. and his waifu - doesn't eat much
  12. Synertia - doesn't eat much

Maybe they can come?

13. Ice Aim? - no data
  14. Meram Jert? - doesn't eat much
  15. Ally 1986? - no data
  16. Pedro? - no data
  17. Rental Sting? - eats alot
  18. BeefEater? - Super rare guest, he's a busy responsible man.
  19. And other HK lurker goons.

11 Yes, 6 tentative = 17 max +/- 3 people. 7 really hungry people. Let's say 10.

That's A LOT OF PREP WORK. Man maybe even crazier than Korean goons giving.

I love lists - please help.
  1. MEAT AND MAINS AND MORE MEAT

• 15 slabs of steak 2.5" steaks? (Maybe I should just skip steaks)
    • Beef hamburger patties - 10
    • Weiss wurst - 10. Yes I will try to pick veal, if not we will use pork. Sorry token :jewish:
    • Chicken souvlaki skewers - 10

2. SIDES AND VEG
    • POTATO SALAD - ? how many potatoes?
    • Bag of greens - Only 3 people will eat this.
    • Grilled button mushrooms
    • Someone please help. I don't know what else to add

3. WHERE ARE MY CHEETOS AND SNACKS :goonsay:
    • Peanut Butter Cups
    • Ruffles Regular and ranch dipping sauce
    • Cheetos

4. BEVERAGES
    • Mountain Dew
    • Coke Zero
    • Cream Soda
    • Apple Cider
    • Growlers Full of Craft Beer
    • Blue Star white beers
    • Some IPA
    • Fruit Beers
    • More hard liquor
    • Maybe a bottle of Shanghai White Vodka if I'm lucky (dammit no Beijing goons this time)

5. MUSIC - Someone needs to bring a ghetto blaster of some sort.
    • Dub Steb
    • Communist Stuff
    • Daft Punk
    • I don't care.

Oh yeah, there will be cake. Yummy yummy cake.

caberham fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 22, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

Geocities/Asian web design

Your post is missing this,

This sounds awesome though, it's a shame I'll miss it.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I have a very hard time walking past kids playing baseball here without correcting whatever* they're horribly botching.

*The answer is always everything. Last weekend Kant and I saw a kid with a bat holding it bolt upright against his hips and swinging by pivoting his whole body without moving his arms. And of course they were playing on blacktop with no stop or catcher so they had to chase the ball like 150 meters after the batter (shockingly) missed. My soul hurts.

Hey, those kids still play better defense than Cleveland.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't know. I'm a Bengals/Reds fan.

Cabe how could you have a goon meet on a day Koreagoons can't make it? :smith:

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
So, I saw a fairly brutal case of domestic violence today. Guy stops his scooter, throws a woman off the back, climbs off and starts beating her. I started yelling at him, asking what he was doing, telling him to stop (in loving English, because I kind of lost my head a bit and my Chinese failed me completely) and he ignored me, as did the dozen or so other people nearby.

I don't know what I could have done, really; I doubt I could have fought him, and from what I gather that's not really advisable anyway. I tried to find my phone to call the police but he took off long before I could have done that, leaving the crying woman walking off in the same direction. From what I gather, being China, that wouldn't really have helped either. gently caress.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

If it makes you feel any better, I saw an e-trike guy blindly swerve into a kid today hard enough to break the apple the kid was holding clean into 2 but probably not hard enough to do lasting damage. The kid started scream crying and the guy on the e-trike stopped for about 2 seconds before speeding off again.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

New Coke posted:

So, I saw a fairly brutal case of domestic violence today. Guy stops his scooter, throws a woman off the back, climbs off and starts beating her. I started yelling at him, asking what he was doing, telling him to stop (in loving English, because I kind of lost my head a bit and my Chinese failed me completely) and he ignored me, as did the dozen or so other people nearby.

I don't know what I could have done, really; I doubt I could have fought him, and from what I gather that's not really advisable anyway. I tried to find my phone to call the police but he took off long before I could have done that, leaving the crying woman walking off in the same direction. From what I gather, being China, that wouldn't really have helped either. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cWnubJ9CEw

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MeramJert posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I saw an e-trike guy blindly swerve into a kid today hard enough to break the apple the kid was holding clean into 2 but probably not hard enough to do lasting damage. The kid started scream crying and the guy on the e-trike stopped for about 2 seconds before speeding off again.

That does make me feel better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

New Coke posted:

That does make me feel better

You're welcome.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Updated - 14 people confirmed

Ok, enough silly snarky posting for now. Going to start a GoonBq. Right now on my sign up sheet. I probably ought to make a google doc signup sheet.

:siren::pcgaming: May 31st, Hong Kong BBQ (Goon B Q - GBQ) MEGA MEET :pcgaming::siren:

MANDATORY Entry fee for food and drinks: 11RMB an hour

location - Sheung Wan, 1pm 85 Bonham Strand West :henget: https://goo.gl/maps/CJfg5

Goons and everyone welcome (We are not responsible if your significant other/friends is horrified of us.)

Goooooooon list - I Need to a rough head count to prepare food. I'm going to the butcher next week and will cut some steaks

Those who can come

1. Lurker Host - eats alot
  2. Lurker Milf Killer - doesn't eat much
  3. Blinky Zero - eats a truckload of American food
  4. Fear Cotton - doesn't eat much
  5. Magna Kaiser - doesn't eat much Actually he lifts and can kick my rear end, so yeah he eats a lot
  6. Bloodnose - Can eat
  7. Caberham - black hole stomach, can eat again once drunk
  8. Wonton - starting to eat a lot :getin:
  9. Lady Galaga - doesn't eat much
  10. Simple Fish - eats alot
  11. and his waifu - doesn't eat much
  12. Synertia - doesn't eat much
  13. BeefEater - can eat
  14. Ice Aim - no data
  15. Rental Sting - eats alot

Maybe they can come?
  16. Meram Jert? - doesn't eat much
  17. Ally 1986? - no data
  18. Pedro? - no data

19. And other HK lurker goons.

14 Yes, 3 tentative = 17 max +/- 3 people. 8 really hungry people. Let's say 10.

That's A LOT OF PREP WORK. Man maybe even crazier than Korean goons giving.

I love lists - please help.
  1. MEAT AND MAINS AND MORE MEAT

• 15 slabs of steak 2.5" steaks? (Maybe I should just skip steaks)
    • Beef hamburger patties - 10
    • Weiss wurst - 10. Yes I will try to pick veal, if not we will use pork. Sorry token :jewish:
    • Chicken souvlaki skewers - 10

2. SIDES AND VEG
    • POTATO SALAD - ? how many potatoes?
    • Bag of greens - Only 3 people will eat this.
    • Grilled button mushrooms
    • Someone please help. I don't know what else to add

3. WHERE ARE MY CHEETOS AND SNACKS :goonsay:
    • Peanut Butter Cups
    • Ruffles Regular and ranch dipping sauce
    • Cheetos

4. BEVERAGES
    • Mountain Dew
    • Coke Zero
    • Cream Soda
    • Apple Cider
    • Growlers Full of Craft Beer
    • Blue Star white beers
    • Some IPA
    • Fruit Beers
    • Schwarzbier
    • More hard liquor
    • Maybe a bottle of Shanghai White Vodka if I'm lucky (dammit no Beijing goons this time)

5. MUSIC - Someone needs to bring a ghetto blaster of some sort.
    • Dub Steb
    • Communist Stuff
    • Daft Punk
    • I don't care.

Oh yeah, there will be cake. Yummy yummy cake.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
edit: nevermind, I tracked some down

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 23, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yes, Hong Kong

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Are mainlanders permitted to travel to Hong Kong without a tour group?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Since 2003.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Woodsy Owl posted:

Are mainlanders permitted to travel to Hong Kong without a tour group?

Depends on Hukou. All the big cities, plus some provincial capitals can travel without a tour group. Once you start getting into smaller cities and rural hukou then you need a tour group to go to Hong Kong.

quote:

Mainland residents from Guangdong Province and 28 cities, including Shanghai, Beijing, Nanjing, Suzhou, Wuxi, Hangzhou, Ningbo, Taizhou, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Quanzhou, Tianjin, Chongqing, Chengdu, Jinan, Shenyang, Dalian, Nanchang, Changsha, Nanning, Haikou, Guiyang, Kunming, Shijiazhuang, Zhengzhou, Changchun, Hefei and Wuhan who wish to come here for sightseeing purpose in individual capacity are required to obtain an Exit-entry Permit for travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao and an "endorsement for individual visit (Geren Luyou)" from the relevant Public Security Bureau Office.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Aero737 posted:

Depends on Hukou. All the big cities, plus some provincial capitals can travel without a tour group. Once you start getting into smaller cities and rural hukou then you need a tour group to go to Hong Kong.

Oh right I forgot about the limitations. Recently I think they stopped adding other cities because OMG MAINLANDERS TOO MANY

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

What are mainlanders? Don't you mean "locusts"?

:getin:

edit: actually I suppose that should be a :frogout: shouldn't it

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
So does this mean if I were to get a job in Hong Kong, my nongmin wife would have trouble coming with me?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Aero737 posted:

The rabbit-hole of retardation that is Chinese bureaucracy is boundless, isn't it...

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
I mean HK is not very big. Imagine how many street making GBS threads stories we would have to read if mainlanders were free to travel there whenever they wanted.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Arakan posted:

I mean HK is not very big. Imagine how many street making GBS threads stories we would have to read if mainlanders were free to travel there whenever they wanted.

That's the entire situation down here that people are worried about.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Imagine the road situation in the southern US when it snows and no one knows how to drive on it, except instead of snow it's poo poo.

Or maybe something like the end of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxQgRbTesA

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

blinkyzero posted:

What are mainlanders? Don't you mean "locusts"?

:getin:

edit: actually I suppose that should be a :frogout: shouldn't it

This is from MAINLAND MY GIRLFRIEND :fuckoff: And have you been to the West Lake? It's really beautiful :downsrim:

VideoTapir posted:

So does this mean if I were to get a job in Hong Kong, my nongmin wife would have trouble coming with me?

Yes and No.

Yes she can easily periodically come to Hong Kong on a Two-way permit (shuang cheng zheng 雙程證), sub classT - family reunions. Valid for 3 months Single entry is 14 days max, multi entry is 90 days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-way_Permit

No she can't will have a harder time settling with you in Hong Kong. It would be a One-way permit (dan cheng zheng 單程證). But that means cancelling her Hukou and being a non-permanent resident in Hong Kong. So she can not legally find a job and is not entitled to social security, no medical-subsidy, etc... It's like the bad end of Ron Paul's paradise. Oh and if she canceled her hukou, that means she cancels her passport as well so she can't even leave Hong Kong for anywhere else!

A lot of Mainland mothers and Hong Kong fathers are fighting the immigration department for their kids to settle in Hong Kong. This whole mess started a few famous court cases and re-interpretation of the Hong Kong Basic Law :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Funny how re-interpretation can happen like that but any attempt to do the same for real democracy is met with "we can't just change the law!"