Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Krakkles posted:

At this point you're really reaching, though - the urban legend is that if you flash your lights (specifically at a car with theirs off at night), you will be shot and killed in a gang initiation. (Which is false.)

You've gone from that to "if I flash my lights at someone else they'll think I'm going to gang initiate myself and shoot them" or something.

It's not even the same flashing - if you want to indicate that someone has their lights off, you switch yours off and back on. Flashing the highbeams is completely separate from that.

I flash the highbeams when people have their lights off, or when they have their highbeams on. It's easier to give a quick pull of the stalk versus twisting the headlight knob to "off" and back. It's a tossup if your highbeams are controlled by a footswitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The mindset of an octogenarian:

"Oh no! That car behind me flashed it's lights, like the gang members do! That means he is going to try and stab me! I better slow down, because that will obviously fix this terrible situation."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

You've gone from that to "if I flash my lights at someone else they'll think I'm going to gang initiate myself and shoot them" or something.

I haven't gone from anything to anything. I didn't post the wikipedia article, I'm just pointing out that people who have heard of the legend may react poorly to light flashing because they're scared people who react without thinking.

Captain Bravo posted:

"Oh no! That car behind me flashed it's lights, like the gang members do! That means he is going to try and stab me! I better slow down, because that will obviously fix this terrible situation."

Basically that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Don't be silly, Vera can't see the speedometer much less whatever's happening in the rearview mirror.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Flashing lights at oncoming traffic has only ever meant "deer or cops" to me.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I enjoy people who have their high beams on in a tunnel in the middle of the afternoon

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Did you really just link to an urban legend - which even Wikipedia specifically states is an urban legend - as a reason why you shouldn't flash your lights at people?

It's an urban legend. That means it is not true.

As a matter of fact yes! The average driver is a moron, and all they know is they heard the words flashing headlights and gang death on TV one time years ago. A lot of people have told me "Watch out for flashing headlights it's some kind of gang thing and they want to kill you!!!" :tinfoil: If that isn't a good enough explanation, don't forget which thread you are in, last time I checked I this was the place to talk about all the "special" drivers out there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Almost turned a cyclist into a blood-piņata yesterday while driving the company box-van. Fucker blew right through a stop sign as I was going through the intersection (my side does not have a stop sign). Had to jack on the brakes and swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid squashing him.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Almost turned a cyclist into a blood-piņata yesterday while driving the company box-van. Fucker blew right through a stop sign as I was going through the intersection (my side does not have a stop sign). Had to jack on the brakes and swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid squashing him.

Share the road, bruh.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
One can only hope he had to ride all the way home with a load of poo poo in his spandex pants.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

As a matter of fact yes! The average driver is a moron, and all they know is they heard the words flashing headlights and gang death on TV one time years ago. A lot of people have told me "Watch out for flashing headlights it's some kind of gang thing and they want to kill you!!!" :tinfoil: If that isn't a good enough explanation, don't forget which thread you are in, last time I checked I this was the place to talk about all the "special" drivers out there.

But I do wish death on slow drivers who park their rear end in the passing lane and don't move over when I flash my headlights at them, so it's actually accurate.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SocketSeven posted:

One can only hope he had to ride all the way home with a load of poo poo in his spandex pants.

Yeah...I doubt that. He barely even registered my existence, had no helmet, and his shorts somewhere around his knees, which I didn't know was possible to do while riding.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Craptacular posted:

But I do wish death on slow drivers who park their rear end in the passing lane and don't move over when I flash my headlights at them, so it's actually accurate.

I wish death on drivers who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 80 in the passing lane and actively passing people without anywhere for me to go without having to slow down 15 mph.

I also wish death on drivers who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 55 in the passing lane and its rush hour and there are infinite cars in front of me and nowhere for me or him to go.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Crotch Fruit posted:

I used to like truckers, until I realized soo many of them are like 18 or 19 years old and drive like dip-shits due to lack of experience. Sure the old timers might not be assholes, but gently caress the new guys. I've been tailgated too many times, I don't care if you are bigger, you're license will be hosed if you hit my car just because you can. Truckers here seem to be obsessed with driving the speed limit in the fast lane or having an elephant race on a four lane highway for seven miles at 55mph. Today during rush hour I had the joy of watching a semi hauling a load of sod stop on a steep on ramp, then just say gently caress it and pull out straight into the far left lane, I watched three cars in front of me take the shoulder to avoid being hit by that rear end in a top hat.

Jesus, this. I spent 16 hours driving a mix of interstate, US highway and 4 lane state highway Monday going from Chicago to North Carolina. My poor wife had to tolerate me going off every 20 minutes about random dipshit trucker doing something so unsafe, so uselessly retarded that it boggled the sane mind about what purpose it served.

I started noticing the degradation of trucking skills about the same time the economy tanked in 2008. Apparently, every dumb rear end that lost his job at Walmart used his unemployment benefits to go to truck driving school... and didn't learn anything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

According to your descriptions US traffic is no better than Russian and I'm happy I don't have to drive in either.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

According to your descriptions US traffic is no better than Russian and I'm happy I don't have to drive in either.

I'm behind the wheel in a city from 6am to 5:30pm monday through Friday, I've completely lost all faith in humanity. :smithicide: There are thousands of good drivers who I share the road with every day, but each day there are also at least one or two dozen assholes who really stand out.

VVV It's only an alternative theory, Occhams Razor is a neat theory but don't forget "If you make something idiot proof, the world will make a better idiot."

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 23, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think you're giving them way too much credit. The average driver just thinks you dared criticize his driving when he's obviously a safe driver and you're obviously a maniac for thinking YOU can go faster than HE already is - don't you know he's going THE SPEED LIMIT? (Roughly.)

Occam's Razor, Hanlon's Razor, etc.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

These are the people you share the road with. Not my picture but I felt it needed to be posted.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

At first I thought that was actively flying through the air when the photo was taken.

Close enough I guess.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good god I wouldn't get that close to take a picture.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That looks like a rather electrifying experience.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
I'm shocked and appalled.

I was driving around downtown Philly last night when I came up behind a car at a stop sign at the end of a one-way side-street about as wide as an alleyway. The car was running but the driver-side door was wide open and no one was inside. No way around it and no way to back out of the situation since a truck had just started down the opposite end of the street. So I just sat there for 2-3 minutes until a very-confused mid-20s male wandered back into his car and drove off. poo poo was unseemly, man. What do you do if he doesn't come back? Call the cops for a tow? What the gently caress was he thinking?

Maryland tags, go figure.

tolerabletariff fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 23, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Collateral Damage posted:

US traffic is not US traffic. Some parts of the US are horrible like Russia and some are like Canada.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
We all agree that we all see irresponsible behavior all the time while driving, but I have been asking myself what makes a good driver? What metric do you use to rank drivers ability? Crash (in)frequency? Ticket (in)frequency? Speed they make it to their destination compared to other drivers on the same route? Does some rally driver do better in traffic because he can negotiate some dirt road really well in a specifically made car or does he get distracted loving around with the radio like everyone else and forget his exit? Seems like we all have different ways to rank how good we are at something we all do. I am sure tailgating at 1/2 car length on the interstate takes skill, as does driving 10+ mph faster than all the other traffic, but most would also argue that it is bad behavior.

In some ways I appreciate the old lady going way too slow through town, at least she might be aware she is not good at driving and is making allowances, or at least that is what I like to think.
Anyway, I drive the DC beltway everyday on my way home from work, and what I see could warrant a post a day in this thread. I just sit in the center lane, try to stay out of the way of the left and get home safe.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

tolerabletariff posted:

I was driving around downtown Philly last night when I came up behind a car at a stop sign at the end of a one-way side-street about as wide as an alleyway. The car was running but the driver-side door was wide open and no one was inside. No way around it and no way to back out of the situation since a truck had just started down the opposite end of the street. So I just sat there for 2-3 minutes until a very-confused mid-20s male wandered back into his car and drove off. poo poo was unseemly, man. What do you do if he doesn't come back? Call the cops for a tow? What the gently caress was he thinking?

Get in the car and move it for him, duh.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah but did she end up being late for work?

Mercury Ballistic posted:

We all agree that we all see irresponsible behavior all the time while driving, but I have been asking myself what makes a good driver? What metric do you use to rank drivers ability? Crash (in)frequency? Ticket (in)frequency? Speed they make it to their destination compared to other drivers on the same route? Does some rally driver do better in traffic because he can negotiate some dirt road really well in a specifically made car or does he get distracted loving around with the radio like everyone else and forget his exit? Seems like we all have different ways to rank how good we are at something we all do. I am sure tailgating at 1/2 car length on the interstate takes skill, as does driving 10+ mph faster than all the other traffic, but most would also argue that it is bad behavior.

Patience

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I was going to say "awareness." Awareness of your surroundings, awareness of the results of your actions, and awareness of your own limits. Additionally, it helps to have the skills necessary to execute defensive driving once you've spotted a problem, but that won't come into play if you aren't aware.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

It's almost like passing cars around a blind corner is a bad idea! :downs:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tolerabletariff posted:

This is fairly normal in South Philly for people to do this and have conversations out their car window with someone they know for 30 minutes at a time, but odd to see that in center city.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Raluek posted:

I was going to say "awareness." Awareness of your surroundings, awareness of the results of your actions, and awareness of your own limits. Additionally, it helps to have the skills necessary to execute defensive driving once you've spotted a problem, but that won't come into play if you aren't aware.

Gotta be both, otherwise you get a guy who's perfectly aware of what's going on around him weaving across 3 lanes of traffic multiple times so he can slam on the brakes and make a right turn 200m from where he started.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

It's almost like passing cars around a blind corner is a bad idea! :downs:

If only there was some universally accepted marker that indicates an unsafe passing area. Some kind of unique and easily identifiable marking on the road, perhaps. :downs:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Lack of drama. You just don't notice them, they're there, but they have no obvious effect on the traffic around them, because they interact with it seamlessly with a constant feedback loop to blend with what everyone else is doing.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

tolerabletariff posted:

I would be terrified if that happened to me!! I've probably seen too many action movies where people get blocked in an alley, a big panel van pulls in behind them and then they get blown up by a bunch of Russians with square haircuts and cool tattoos.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

man oh man, the instant karma in this one is great.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
If I want to, I can be a real rear end in a top hat on the road, but a lot of times I try to do whatever I can to not hold up traffic. To me a good driver actually uses the right lane. The lanes are defined as the lane you're supposed to loving be in and the passing lane. It's not "the slow lane" and "the fast lane" bullshit, just because your going 55mph in the left lane that does not mean you are going fast. Especially in a cit, I think it's pretty dumb to try to drive much faster, in part because no matter how fast you think you drive some rear end in a top hat in a BMW will come up behind you driving faster at which you point you race that mother fucker to prove who really is the king of the road. My commute takes almost exactly the same amount of time at 60mph as it does at 75mph, but I hold up the road less if I drive 65 to 70mph. Speeding on surface roads with traffic lights just seems loving retarded to me, I love pulling up to a red light wih a :rice: car beside me, the light turns green and they fly down the road at god only knows what speed only to sit and wait beside me at the next red light. Yeah, you really are a fast driver.

After seeing that car wreck I would only pull over to look at the unconscious driver and say "gently caress you" before continuing on as if nothing happened.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Sudo Echo posted:

Get in the car and move it for him, duh.

Yeah, be careful with that. Someone blocked me in once in high school by parking in a no parking zone (The sign marking the end of the zone was right behind my bumper), preventing me from backing up and leaving (I was the first one parked, so it wasn't like I could "leave room" in front of me). Having already waited 5 minutes, and having the main office make a PA announcement, I noticed the vehicle was unlocked, so I put it in neutral and pushed it back enough for me to back up and pull out. Of course, that's when the owner showed up, pissed that I was touching his shitbox. I was in my vehicle and starting to pull out by the time he was able to "confront me", so he did the smart thing and broke his hand on my passenger window.

These days I'd expect a similar situation to get quite violent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Crotch Fruit posted:

If I want to, I can be a real rear end in a top hat on the road, but a lot of times I try to do whatever I can to not hold up traffic. To me a good driver actually uses the right lane. The lanes are defined as the lane you're supposed to loving be in and the passing lane. It's not "the slow lane" and "the fast lane" bullshit, just because your going 55mph in the left lane that does not mean you are going fast. Especially in a cit, I think it's pretty dumb to try to drive much faster, in part because no matter how fast you think you drive some rear end in a top hat in a BMW will come up behind you driving faster at which you point you race that mother fucker to prove who really is the king of the road. My commute takes almost exactly the same amount of time at 60mph as it does at 75mph, but I hold up the road less if I drive 65 to 70mph. Speeding on surface roads with traffic lights just seems loving retarded to me, I love pulling up to a red light wih a :rice: car beside me, the light turns green and they fly down the road at god only knows what speed only to sit and wait beside me at the next red light. Yeah, you really are a fast driver.

After seeing that car wreck I would only pull over to look at the unconscious driver and say "gently caress you" before continuing on as if nothing happened.

gently caress that, I'd wait around long enough to give video footage to the police if someone pulled that poo poo.

I'll drive like an rear end in a top hat, but crossing a double yellow? No. On a blind corner? gently caress no. I don't even cross single yellows or go on the other side of the road on unpainted back roads when I'm driving like an rear end in a top hat, I keep it in my lane. Last thing I want to do is kill some innocent person because I was driving like a dickhead on the wrong side of the road.

Speaking of which, some retard came over a blind crest at me completely in the middle of the road a while ago while yapping on their cellphone, then flipped ME off because they almost hit me head on. What the hell is wrong with people?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
To everyone trying to merge onto the highway: I am not obligated to make room for you. I may move over if there is room, but I can see what's on my left and you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

kastein posted:

Speaking of which, some retard came over a blind crest at me completely in the middle of the road a while ago while yapping on their cellphone, then flipped ME off because they almost hit me head on. What the hell is wrong with people?

I was coming home yesterday and at the other end of the street, some guy made a really wide turn onto the street and started coming at me on the wrong side of the road for half a block. I ended up swerving around him to my left as he pulled up in front of my neighbor's house and ran inside, leaving the car parked facing the wrong direction, engine running, and with the driver's side door open.

Though I kinda expect the residents to pull this as all the mail boxes are on my side of the street and people pull up going the wrong direction to check their mail. I do it too sometimes, though my car is too short for me to reach in easily, so I usually just park and walk over. Oh, and the residents don't force me off the road when they do this...