Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is aldon Smith going to prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

bewbies posted:

He plea bargained, so my guess would be no, not for those incidents. Sentencing happens in a month or so.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Marshall being a lovely person that dropped tons of touchdowns only to go to Chicago and turn a new leaf is so loving Miami dolphins

I look forward to Mike Wallace's 20 touchdown season with the Patriots next year :smithicide:

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Dexo posted:

Brandon Marshall Press Conference.

God Bless Phil Emery, and never leave Brandon Marshall. Best Bears Wide Receiver ever(still love you though Marty).

quote:

@mikecwright 4m

Marshall said he told Jay Cutler he was about to have a breakout year. Cutler's reply: "Dude you've had seven of them."

:3:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Andrew Brandt wrote a great piece on how the rookie wage scale has changed signings: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/22/nfl-rookie-contract-negotiations/

quote:

Preset contract numbers have made the pace of rookie signings in mid-May mimic the pace of rookie signings in mid-July in the NFL’s old way of doing business. The Bears, led by longtime contract negotiator Cliff Stein, signed their entire 2014 class of rookies in four days. The Raiders have already secured the fifth pick in the draft, Khalil Mack—a remarkably swift resolution for such a high pick. (I once negotiated the fifth pick of the draft, A.J. Hawk, in a three-month back-and-forth that resulted in a 63-page contract.) Indeed, where teams used to point to the start of training camp as a target date for having their picks signed, some teams are now targeting that date at the start of minicamp.

Rookie holdouts are now relics of a bygone era. While some negotiations will not resolve until the eve of training camp, the holdups will be about structure, not compensation. As a top union official told me, a “highly-trained monkey could negotiate these numbers.”

I wonder if this will have a side effect of having rookies perform better in their first season as they're getting that much more time with the team.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Toronto Sun posted:

Former Buffalo Sabres owner Thomas Golisano indeed plans to bid on the Buffalo Bills once the team goes on sale.

quote:

Golisano might bid alone. Or he might bid in partnership with another (and only one other) deep-pocketed Western New York businessman. In either event, Golisano will be the lead bidder, the source said.

That's Terry Pegula, current Sabres owner. Again, it's early, but Bills fans ought to be optimistic about the future.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Did you guys see the ugly player sweaters from that
There's the AJ Green sweater/jersey and there is a horrid cam newton one.

And

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Cam would probably look good in that, only because he's incapable of looking like poo poo.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

kiimo posted:

Some of these are just awesome (Broncos, Seahawks) but predictably the Chiefs one is just dogshit.

I am pretty sure that growing up I had a Marty Schottenheimer football card wearing this sweater.

fake edit:

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

shiksa posted:

Cam would probably look good in that, only because he's incapable of looking like poo poo.

At the yearly ugly sweater christmas party Cam wears a knit towel on his head

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i would unironically wear that cam sweater

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Great White Hope posted:

This has potential, you just need to photoshop something onto the 12 flag.

Benghazi.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vile Rat is the 12th man

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Alouicious posted:

i would unironically wear that cam sweater

same

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sweeney Tom posted:

It was worth it though because he bandwagoned the Steelers, who lost to Tebow and haven't made the playoffs again since.

It's the Tebow curse. They won't again until they make him their starting qb.

Espn doing some decent reporting on the painkiller lawsuit.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 22, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

It's the Tebow curse. They won't again until they make him their starting qb.

Espn doing some decent reporting on the painkiller lawsuit.

From Big Ben to Big Bust. What have they become, man.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Man it's depressing googling some of the college players from 15 years ago. This guy was Keyshawn's lovely QB after Rob Johnson, played with the Packers for a bit.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/kyle-wachholtz/13/b19/b74

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ozu posted:

Man it's depressing googling some of the college players from 15 years ago. This guy was Keyshawn's lovely QB after Rob Johnson, played with the Packers for a bit.

That is really, really sad.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
I really wonder how employable marginal NFL athletes are. I could see the years spent in the NFL looking exactly like years unemployed to some one going over a resume.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Doltos posted:

He has a BA in History but under current standards I think he would either need a Masters to teach higher ed or to get a BA in Education to meet the reqs. for K-12

That's some depressing poo poo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DupaDupa posted:

I really wonder how employable marginal NFL athletes are. I could see the years spent in the NFL looking exactly like years unemployed to some one going over a resume.

I had a couple of cousins who were this exactly and both said that their NFL experience was a really valuable thing to have. Instant talking point in interviews, makes you stand out as a candidate, etc. Most people don't have any experience at that age anyway so it wasn't a huge disadvantage. Granted they both went to Ivy league schools...that probably helped, and they both only tried for 2 years.

For random "communications" major from Nutbag State who spent 4 or 5 years chasing the dream that stuff probably doesn't hold as true.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

say no to bats posted:

He has a BA in History but under current standards I think he would either need a Masters to teach higher ed or to get a BA in Education to meet the reqs. for K-12

We should kickstart a hotdog stand for him, but CHECK THIS ONE FOR RACISM FIRST

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

bewbies posted:

I had a couple of cousins who were this exactly and both said that their NFL experience was a really valuable thing to have. Instant talking point in interviews, makes you stand out as a candidate, etc. Most people don't have any experience at that age anyway so it wasn't a huge disadvantage. Granted they both went to Ivy league schools...that probably helped, and they both only tried for 2 years.

For random "communications" major from Nutbag State who spent 4 or 5 years chasing the dream that stuff probably doesn't hold as true.

I don't know man, I think saying that you went to Nutbag State would certainly make you stand out as a candidate.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

say no to bats posted:

I have my BA in History and Education and work as a procurement agent, which is soul crushing office work.

In order to teach you need a teaching certification, which is why many colleges do Education as the major with the History being a minor. Colleges are also starting to want only doctorates teaching at the college level, which sucks because one of the best teachers I ever had was getting laid off because she only had her masters. Nevermind she wrote tons of books on the education and was a principal of a well respected school in North NJ for 25 years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen indicated on NFL Insiders Thursday that Ray Rice is likely to face a league-imposed suspension following his assault charge.
Take a seat, Ray.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Quest For Glory II posted:

Take a seat, Ray.

He would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for his love of punching.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Take a seat, Ray.
Maybe the Bengals will finally win in Baltimore.

Just kidding Ray Rice isn't a DB.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
We're probably better off without him.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

bewbies posted:

Thats true, I didn't think of it at all as a talking point. I'd really be interested in seeing employment statistics for players after football.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Shrimpy posted:

I am pretty sure that growing up I had a Marty Schottenheimer football card wearing this sweater.

fake edit:

oh my god give me that loving sweater asap

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shrimpy posted:

fake edit:

I'm still mad at the Bills hiring Chan loving Gailey over Marty

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

bewbies posted:

Depends on the judge. The max sentence for the charges is technically 4 years but since he plea bargained and cooperated he probably won't do actual jail time. He could potentially get house arrest though.

At this point I'm more concerned with what his suspension will be like and whether the time he missed last year will factor into it at all.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Ozu posted:

Doltos posted:

Get ready for more sad!

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/for-wachholtz-time-with-packers-was-joyful-painful-7f6hgjl-167120395.html

E: Keep in mind the article is two years old now.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
There's an arrest warrant out for TJ Ward.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/report-arrest-warrant-issued-for-broncos-safety-t-j-ward/

quote:

CBS 4 in Denver reports that an arrest warrant was issued for Ward on Thursday in connection with an incident that took place on May 9. According to the police, that incident involved a scuffle at a nightclub that is being categorized as both an assault and disturbing the peace.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
God really does hate (ex) Browns

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Raiders season tickets starting at $225. How does that compare to other teams?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

For my plaza level season tickets, I pay $1800 for two seats.

The worst section at Qualcomm, which is a horrible family section with no alcohol allowed, starts at $390 per seat

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Blitz7x posted:

22.50 per game?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

mastershakeman posted:

22.50 per game?

I mean it is the Raiders after all

(I'm upset you beat me in the race to the low hanging fruit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Blitz7x posted:

CentruryLink's is around $1400

• Locked thread