Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adr66rvCFpw

:3: I love throwbacks like that.

I didn't really care for RTCW or Wolf09 but this one is getting pretty good reviews, I think I may pick it up and give it a shot.

I do really regret buying Rise of the Triad, though, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on wolf yet. But it seems very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That reminds me, I keep seeing people saying they didn't like the Rise of the Triad remake and I'm wondering why. I felt it was the mosst faithful remake possible of the original game and liked it a lot.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I really didn't care for the new Wolfenstein but I might have given up on it too early. It has some cool ideas but the guns all sound terrible and theres something kind of floaty and unsatisfying about the shooting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

That reminds me, I keep seeing people saying they didn't like the Rise of the Triad remake and I'm wondering why. I felt it was the mosst faithful remake possible of the original game and liked it a lot.
It's buggy and platforming-heavy and shipped without a quicksave system. I liked it, but it's very flawed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

The Kins posted:

It's buggy and platforming-heavy and shipped without a quicksave system. I liked it, but it's very flawed.

Kins pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

And to be fair, I never really played the original Rise of the Triad. I was all Doom and Dark Forces and Heretic as a kid, maybe some Duke here and there, but never Rott.

I dunno, old school run and gun sounds appealing to me, but something about the way the enemies engage you (hitscan from far away) and the platforming turned me off REALLY fast.

Thing is Shadow Warrior came out around the same time and gave me pretty much what I wanted Rott to be, I had tons of fun with Shadow Warrior. :shrug: No platforming, so maybe that was it.

Brasseye posted:

I really didn't care for the new Wolfenstein but I might have given up on it too early. It has some cool ideas but the guns all sound terrible and theres something kind of floaty and unsatisfying about the shooting.

I may wait for a steam sale then.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brasseye posted:

If it's anything like Rage then it makes sense. Rage had great weapons and unique death animations for enemies but the weapons sounded weak and movement was pretty floaty. I don't know what it is with modern shooters and sound effects but they can't get them right. Maybe we were all spoiled with loving BEEFY weapons like the super shotty and Half-Life's SPAS-12 but it's really difficult to find a modern game with guns that make me want to yell as I hold down the trigger. FEAR got it right then the sequels gave us wimpy guns again.

The Darkness 2 had a pretty wicked repeater but unfortunately it's in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

I completely agree. I doubt it bothers most people as much but to me having guns that sound right is really important in an FPS. Super shotgun is what came to mind straight away but yeah FEAR had some great sounding guns, the rainbow six games have some good ones too.

The enemy death animations/physics are ok in new Wolfenstein but nothing special. If anyone is considering a purchase have a good look at some gameplay footage before you buy it, the reviews seem a little high.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

al-azad posted:

If it's anything like Rage then it makes sense. Rage had great weapons and unique death animations for enemies but the weapons sounded weak and movement was pretty floaty. I don't know what it is with modern shooters and sound effects but they can't get them right. Maybe we were all spoiled with loving BEEFY weapons like the super shotty and Half-Life's SPAS-12 but it's really difficult to find a modern game with guns that make me want to yell as I hold down the trigger. FEAR got it right then the sequels gave us wimpy guns again.

The Darkness 2 had a pretty wicked repeater but unfortunately it's in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Absolutely. Gun sounds is a huge part of 'gun feel'. The other part being animations.

One example is the shotguns from COD. I'll poo poo on COD all day long, but their shotguns feel right, I have to give them that. Almost everybody else that does shotguns in FPS, Half-Life, TF2, Halo, even Doom, (although its hard to do with like 3 loving frames) Shotguns are just normal shooty guns that happen to shoot shot. They fire like pistols or rifles or just really slow SMGs. Bang... bang... bang...

But in COD, not only is there this nice "BOOM" when you fire a shotgun, but you actually feel the gun kicking out below you because of the animation. And you can kinda see the shot come out and expand from the barrel, it really sells it as being a shotgun that isn't like your other weapons. Battlefield does it right too, if I'm remembering correctly, but almost nobody else is even close. I guess COD and BF are trying to be way more realistic than most. (They actually record each different gun sound, details like that) I really love how BF sounds are all different if you're indoors or outside or whatever. You can tell what guns people are firing from across the map based on the reports. I guess you could do that in counter-strike, too, but they sounded mostly like rear end.

Most games even pistols and shotguns and rifles feel really puny.

I have a mod for Stalker that changes the way all the sounds work, it makes pistols sound like proper guns, there's a loving hand cannon going off mere feet from your ears! They kick in your hand hard, and you feel it (even though you don't, really, but the sound and animation gives your brain enough to work with). And the best part is the sounds after you shoot.

If you miss, you hear a nice whizzing ricochet. People who don't shoot IRL may not know, but bullets make really funny noises when they deflect off things, as they lose energy and vibrate. Those weird "bang pew" sounds from Bond movies aren't so crazy. But you don't ever hear that in most games! And just general impact noises. In that Stalker mod, if I shoot a piece of wood, I hear a wooden crunch, but if you shoot a big chunk of metal, you hear a "pang". It should be a loud pang.

There's something about the shoot, short delay, impact sounds that really sells the shooting. That "Pop..pang" is just so satisfying. More shooter games need to get that, I can't think of very many that even come close. Even Stalker it requires a certain mod to make it that good.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 22, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

My issue with Rise of the Triad (2013) is that it likes to give me the "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem every few minutes (or multiple times a minute, sometimes back-to-back, when it gets particularly bad). Also, when it recovers, level geometry can be wildly out-of-whack.

That's presumably on my end more than RotT's (Sonic Generations and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed do it too, if more rarely; the latter game can bounce me out of online matches if it happens at inopportune moments), but it's annoying enough that I just stopped playing the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll say this about Black Ops: I wish I had that dragon shotgun for the entirety of the game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Say what you want, but the whole sound in Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 and 4 is loving amazing. Every gun is different, and they really sound beefy.

There's an old video about BC2's war tapes audio option:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cFgWKEYC2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr6yYvCsKqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyMGXOmQKJA

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I have a hard time recommending RotT 2013 because, while I liked most of the game, the boss fights can be total show-stoppers. I probably spent more game time and reloaded more saves on each boss level than I did on all the boss' preceding levels.

And on the subject of gun feel, Insurgency gets it right. It plays like the devs lived at a rifle range for a month to accurately reproduce as much of the authentic shooting experience as they could.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

I have a hard time recommending RotT 2013 because, while I liked most of the game, the boss fights can be total show-stoppers. I probably spent more game time and reloaded more saves on each boss level than I did on all the boss' preceding levels.

And on the subject of gun feel, Insurgency gets it right. It plays like the devs lived at a rifle range for a month to accurately reproduce as much of the authentic shooting experience as they could.

How active is that game's multiplayer? How good is it otherwise?

I blew it off before because it seemed pretty meh, but you're right, the guns do look very well done, and its pretty cheap..

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Brasseye posted:

If anyone is considering a purchase have a good look at some gameplay footage before you buy it, the reviews seem a little high.

I don't always agree with their opinions, but I'm watching a bit of Video Games Awesome Live's playthrough of Wolfenstein and it doesn't really look all that great. It just looks like a generic Modern FPS Game that happens to feature Nazi Sci-Fi elements.

I mean the intro sequence is a series of easy puzzles and an on-rails shooting section. I'm not about to GET PSYCHED from bullet sponge enemies, limited weaponry and unsatisfying gunplay and weapon sounds.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not about to GET PSYCHED from bullet sponge enemies, limited weaponry and unsatisfying gunplay and weapon sounds.

What's more Wolfenstein than that? :downsrim:

Seriously though the weapons for the most part are big, loud, and fun to use. Watching five minutes of the first level is doing yourself a disservice because it takes some time to warm up. The game's got a surprisingly good story and likable characters, and the gameplay is every bit as solid as RTCW.

E: I will say though that the shotguns left me wanting until I got far enough in the game to acquire the ammo type that turned them into automatic flak cannons.

Geight fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 22, 2014

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Zaphod42 posted:

How active is that game's multiplayer? How good is it otherwise?

I blew it off before because it seemed pretty meh, but you're right, the guns do look very well done, and its pretty cheap..

The multiplayer population goes up-and-down with patches but I've never had trouble finding a server, and the game itself is great. It's like Red Orchestra but with tight urban maps and the tempo of an infantry-only Battlefield fight. I'd say it's my favorite tactical FPS ever if it didn't sound too much like gushing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Geight posted:

Seriously though the weapons for the most part are big, loud, and fun to use. Watching five minutes of the first level is doing yourself a disservice because it takes some time to warm up. The game's got a surprisingly good story and likable characters, and the gameplay is every bit as solid as RTCW.

To be fair, it looks like it gets better after the "title card" comes up and it flashes forward. Annoyingly though, the guy playing (Fraser) seems to adamantly stand by the opinion that it's bad. But that's just him, and he's stubborn. I might buy it when it inevitably goes on sale, but I don't know.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I wish Steam had an option to just download the resource files for classic games like Wolf3D, Doom, etc. I want to play Wolf3D but don't have a Windows machine handy to install the client on and download my copy of the game.

What's the best Wolf3D source port these days, ECWolf? Do the modern source ports add an auto map? I never really played Wolf3D beyond its shareware demo back in the day but really want to give all the episodes a try now.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I believe ECWolf is, yeah. It adds some ZDoom-isms like DECORATE and TEXTURES and such, although I don't know if anyone's made much use of them as of yet. Also adds an automap, although I dunno if you still need to get an SVN build for that feature.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

What's the best Wolf3D source port these days, ECWolf? Do the modern source ports add an auto map? I never really played Wolf3D beyond its shareware demo back in the day but really want to give all the episodes a try now.
The Developer Build of ECWolf supports all official Wolf3D games (to the point of just reading the data files out of the Steam directory on Windows!) and it adds an ever-so-useful automap.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

mod sassinator posted:

I wish Steam had an option to just download the resource files for classic games like Wolf3D, Doom, etc. I want to play Wolf3D but don't have a Windows machine handy to install the client on and download my copy of the game.

I was having this issue the other day with Doom. I only have Linux machines for now since my mother board fried in my main desktop. The folks over in the Steam thread suggested installing and running Steam in Wine to download the assets I needed, and that worked great. Obviously there's a lot of overhead, but it was totally worth it.

Of course this assumes that you're either running Linux, or can get Wine running on OSX.

Note: I know nothing about getting Wine running on Macs, it may be easy, it may be a huge pain in the rear end.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Anytime someone brings up "Feel" I want to link to Tom Francis's (Of Gunpoint & PC Gamer fame) article on What Makes Games Good. He outlines 6 metrics, including Feel:

quote:

2. Feel
Making individual interactions convincing and pleasurable

When you fire a virtual gun, feel is the sound of the shot, the muzzle flash, the recoil of the weapon model, whether it offsets my aim, the reaction of the target, and what all that suggests about the unseen parts of the interaction: the weight of the bullet, its hardness, where it hit, how that felt, what damage has been done. But feel is just as important in non-violent games. Bejeweled is incredible at it: I know exactly how hard a topaz is despite the fact that it never touches anything, just from its sound and motion. The sound of four gems forming a super-gem, and the glow that gives it, makes the thing feel dense, pregnant – all reinforced by the cathartic boom when it goes off. If you’re ever wondering why a PopCap game succeeded despite being suspiciously similar to an existing game that was only moderately popular, it’s because the first game got the challenge right and PopCap added the feel.

I wish every review was written with this in mind, it explains what I like about video games really well.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I have an Ubuntu machine I might give that a shot on, thanks! Worst case there's a laptop in various states of disrepair that I can put Windows back on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I find it really odd that Wolf3D, Doom, and all the DOSbox games aren't enabled in all three OS's since DOSbox and Doom source ports run on literally loving everything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Anytime someone brings up "Feel" I want to link to Tom Francis's (Of Gunpoint & PC Gamer fame) article on What Makes Games Good. He outlines 6 metrics, including Feel:

I wish every review was written with this in mind, it explains what I like about video games really well.

Trying not to go off topic too much but game feel is one of those intangible elements you can never put your finger on but know it when you see it. Speaking of Bejeweled, I love the sound of getting a "heroic effort" in Puzzle Quest because it's rewarded with the most spectacular bass pumping explosions. I think a large part of the FPS genre's success in the early years is that kick that other games didn't have but it's kind of fallen by the wayside lately as people try to copy The Current Big Thing without understanding how The Current Big Thing does it so well.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Survival horror game made in the Quake 2 engine Doom2 engine :psyduck:

http://wadaholic.wordpress.com/

So that's something. Can't decide if it looks cool or poo poo.

I know this was on the last page but I want to echo the reaction on how impressive this looks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

I know this was on the last page but I want to echo the reaction on how impressive this looks.

It feels a little sparse and empty (although, survival horror...) and the player height feels too low, a few other things like that, but its definitely something to keep an eye on.

And if nothing else, drat, just... how? why? Amazing.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

The Kins posted:

The Developer Build of ECWolf supports all official Wolf3D games (to the point of just reading the data files out of the Steam directory on Windows!) and it adds an ever-so-useful automap.
Thank you for posting this! The auto-map by itself sold me on updating... But, the only main problem is that now I can't load my saves from the previous version (which I think is the latest stable/full release) of ECWolf. I know I could just replay up to where I was on E4M5, but it would be nice to be able to load my save and continue from where I left off. Or, I'll probably just finish episode 4 in the old version and play the last two episodes in the new version (although the automap will make episode four less of a pain to play).

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

The multiplayer population goes up-and-down with patches but I've never had trouble finding a server, and the game itself is great. It's like Red Orchestra but with tight urban maps and the tempo of an infantry-only Battlefield fight. I'd say it's my favorite tactical FPS ever if it didn't sound too much like gushing.

It's worth gushing about. I've also have had no issues finding populated servers, but I mostly play co-op with friends anyways. It really reminds me of the Infiltration mod for UT.

RE: Game Feel, Errant Signal did a good video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFK4NlGCo0

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I've been playing the Serious Sam games again, and is there anything I can do to make TFE/TSE more interesting? I remember liking them like 10 years ago, but now they just sorta feel like a generic Quake map set with a focus on slaughter maps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

I've been playing the Serious Sam games again, and is there anything I can do to make TFE/TSE more interesting? I remember liking them like 10 years ago, but now they just sorta feel like a generic Quake map set with a focus on slaughter maps.

That's pretty much what they are.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Playing them Co-op seems to help.

edit: and I didn't mind the HD remakes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I had a lot of fun with the HD remakes by playing them on "Serious" difficulty without saving/loading during levels, which gives you a significant score multiplier at the end of each map. Basically I tried to get the highest score I could get by iron-manning, finding all of the secrets, collecting everything I could find, and killing everything on a map. I love making those numbers get higher and higher, though. It's why I wish there was a "mod" for doom that implemented a similar arcade-style scoring system. Sort of like ScoreDoom, only it would work with other mods like Nazis!, MSX, and BD.

EDIT: I should say that I played the original TFE/TSE when they first came out, and I think they had a scoring system too, but I can't remember.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I've tried pushing up the difficulty and replacing the guns with better sounding ones and it's helping some. It just doesn't feel as good to me as SS3 did.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Maybe it's because of my skill level, but I've found that TFE and TSE are fun as hell in Serious difficulty. Your margin of error is a lot smaller than in other difficulties, but you have double the ammo and there are a ton of enemies to kill. I'm going through TFE in Serious difficulty right now via Serious Sam Revolution, and it can be pretty tense if things go south. However, doing things like casually strafing past KLeer while gunning down Arachnoid with a Minigun like it's nothing is really cool. The other difficulties are just too easy to be difficult for me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have SS: HD first and second encounter. Played coop it's great fun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
here's a teaser for Total Chaos(seriously it's ridiculous how good they managed to get even a modified Doom engine to look)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

drrockso20 posted:

here's a teaser for Total Chaos(seriously it's ridiculous how good they managed to get even a modified Doom engine to look)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ

I know posts are supposed to have content, but… all I've got is :aaaaa:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That looks better than most Unity games. It looks better than the Penumbra games. At that point, why even use the Doom engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

That looks better than most Unity games. It looks better than the Penumbra games. At that point, why even use the Doom engine?

Why not? The entire point of doing this in GZDoom is to show off what it can do.