Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

SedanChair posted:

Hans-Hermann Hoppe is an insane crank who wants to be conquered by an aryan king hth

Seriously a friend ran into him at a bar in DC and he was literally ranting about all the "swine" in academia who dared oppose him

Oh yeah, he seems kinda nutty, but so do a lot of you people, and I'm still listening (and visa versa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

SickZip posted:

He's the beneficiary of the stolen wealth though. His father was an immigrant who was a glancing victim, at best, of the policies outlined in this article. His mother was white and the recipient of generations of ill-gotten gains. If were talking about paying the compounding interest of generations of injustice to the people who originally owned the principle, then he should be paying.

Also, I can't believe people have repeatedly used self-identification as the basis for race in this thread. Are we really adopting the logic of tumblr transethnics? Race is a complicated phenomenon arising out of an intersection of history, society, and biology. The ability of how you identify to affect your social race is limited to certain edge cases. If obama had identified as white his whole life, do you think his experiences with racism would have much different? (the answer is no). Race, in the sense were, talking about is socially constructed and not a matter of choice or identification.

Yes, people do get the chance to explain which society and background has effected them the most. The President's mother may have been white, but he's a dark-skinned man named "Barak" and would have faced many of the same the hardships other black men see every day. He may have had some material support from his mother's background, but even 'well-off' blacks are discriminated against.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kafka Esq. posted:

According to that NPR story about who hasn't read the Coates article:

Really? Effortlessly?

He's praising Coates writing style and the strength of the essay. Unless you take issue with the prose I'm not certain what the problem is

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

absolem posted:

rape is just as bad as murder as stealing a dime

:waycool:

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

absolem posted:

I'm pretty sure all conflicts are equal (rape is just as bad as murder as stealing a dime).

How on Earth can you regard an argument that leads you to this sort of conclusion as having any sort of merit? This is just straight-up sociopathy.

Edit: Also, you are aware that no logical framework can be both self-consistent and complete, right? This makes trying to argue for a deontological morality based on a priori principles a completely worthless and Sisyphean task.

Shibby0709 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 22, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
EDIT: I misread what you said, never mind.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GlyphGryph posted:

Of course he should. The rich should have to pay for the bulk of the reparations. They are the ones with the money after all. Maybe he'll get some back, of course, he deserves his fair share, but I don't think it will be a net positive for him.

Abstractly, why should he receive anything? He received "stolen goods" as much as you can say that any white person did from intergenerational transfers.

If were talking about racism in the span of his personal lifespan then :lol:. Truly he suffered as a denizen of Hawaii who then shuffled from liberal institution to liberal institution. He is a suffering victim and not someone who disproportionally received benefits and sentiments meant to help those suffering from the legacy of racism and slavery since he's "black" but lacks all the unpleasant rough edges and cultural markers generated by the actual legacy.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

absolem posted:

They're definitely at fault for the crisis in some way, its just that they didnt do anything immoral (unless they lied on their loans or something which probably didnt happen too much) I never said anything different

Did you never stop to ask yourself why it was called a financial crisis? The fact that it was mortgages being sold in those financial instruments was almost completely immaterial. Substitute with any other security in the midst of a speculative bubble and you would have had the same outcome.

Edit: I guess the housing bubble wasn't exactly "speculative"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

absolem posted:

They're definitely at fault for the crisis in some way, its just that they didnt do anything immoral (unless they lied on their loans or something which probably didnt happen too much) I never said anything different

Bullshit. The question was how were the banks not the responsible party for bundling the mortgages into securities, fraudulently rating them, and then leveraging the banks at 30:1 on what they knew to be bad debt. This was the part the banks did. And your response was that government regulations, time traveling knowledge of moral hazard, and consumer demand made them do it.

You are an idiot using his own made up definitions and hypocrisy to justify what he wants.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
But guys what if we just make the pie higher.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

tbp posted:

But without some sort of perfect benchmark for what would constitute morality one could argue it's rather subjective then can't they?

Theism doesn't have a perfect benchmark, and in fact if you're implying a Judeao-Christian theism then it has a really imperfect benchmark.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

anonumos posted:

Yes, people do get the chance to explain which society and background has effected them the most. The President's mother may have been white, but he's a dark-skinned man named "Barak" and would have faced many of the same the hardships other black men see every day. He may have had some material support from his mother's background, but even 'well-off' blacks are discriminated against.

We really are on the countdown to people unironically posting about their black since their deep love for rap overrides their life in a white suburb

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

mdemone posted:

I don't suppose you've ever given any thought to why it makes you feel good?

This is a very important point, please don't duck it. You are a moral animal, just like the other superior primates, and you've bamboozled yourself into thinking that helping others is anathema despite the fact that your own emotional response is telling you it's not.

I'm a moral animal insofar as I have some instinct as to what is right, wrong, or good for my survival. My emotional response probably corresponds to 1)my work being beneficial to society as a whole, and therefore to myself and 2) Other people being happy makes me happy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

absolem posted:

Oh yeah, he seems kinda nutty, but so do a lot of you people, and I'm still listening (and visa versa)

Yet on the other hand, one has to question the fitness to judge nuttiness or lackthereof of someone who would unironically claim...

absolem posted:

rape is just as bad as murder as stealing a dime

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

absolem posted:

Basically, the only reason anyone has property rights is because of this argumentation, therefore when you reject argumentation by opting for a different method of conflict resolution, you forego all the other stuff set out by argumentation, namely rights. The idea is that everyone recognizes that this is the most pleasant way to do business and the people who don't are still criminals, now they've debased themselves by committing a crime. I'm pretty sure all conflicts are equal (rape is just as bad as murder as stealing a dime).

"All conflicts are equal" is not a statement you've proved. Murder deprives a person of their life. It irrevocably (for now) ends their existence. It's the most extreme form of violence there is. Stealing a dime, on the other hand, probably won't even be noticed by the person in question. It deprives them of almost nothing.

Converting "violence should not be used to resolve all conflicts" into NAP is question begging unless you've shown "all conflicts are equal."

quote:

I think that settles it, but the idea is that only the first claim (made by mixing your labor with unowned things) is objective, because there is no way to argue that any non 1st claim is better than any other non 1st claim, its all arbitrary after the first one.

But the idea of homesteading is not the only objective claim, not is homesteading always objective.

I find a wild dog and domesticate it. Under your ethics, I've mixed my labor with the dog and now own. Now I let it live in my home, entering and leaving as it pleases. Someone else finds the dog, thinks it's wild, and trains it. The owner of the dog is now subjective between me and the other person.

On the other hand, consider the distribution of the scarce resource coal. I might make the claim that it be distributed evenly among all people. It would certainly violate homesteading and you would disagree with it, but it's a claim that's seen objectively between everyone.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So I got 20 DebateDiscoFunBux that absolem really is just a jrodefeld rereg.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Man, I could write for NPR.

Naet posted:

Coates doesn't base his argument solely on slavery, nor does he advocate strictly monetary compensation. Yet, I would bet my life that every criticism of the argument will use two strawmen:

1) My ancestors didn't have anything to do with slavery.
2) The country cannot feasibly afford reparations.

NPR posted:

1. They talk a lot about slavery.
2. They talk about the logistics of reparations.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

SickZip posted:

Abstractly, why should he receive anything? He received "stolen goods" as much as you can say that any white person did from intergenerational transfers.

If were talking about racism in the span of his personal lifespan then :lol:. Truly he suffered as a denizen of Hawaii who then shuffled from liberal institution to liberal institution. He is a suffering victim and not someone who disproportionally received benefits and sentiments meant to help those suffering from the legacy of racism and slavery since he's "black" but lacks all the unpleasant rough edges and cultural markers generated by the actual legacy.

He probably wouldn't take Reparations if they were offered, because he doesn't need them. Neither does Michelle. Neither do his daughters. Neither does Colin Powel... etc. See how that works?

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Caros posted:

I'm a walking example of this. I was firmly in the same court as absolem until I was subjected to a very real and painful reminder about how inequitable and unfair the world is. For most libertarians it really will take a life changing experience for them to realize how very, very wrong they are.

Who is John Galt?

I'm guessing from my extensive knowledge of libertarian bullshit, coupled with your posts in this thread that you are probably of an objectivist bent. Thats fair enough, but do keep in mind that Ayn Rand pretty much set up objectivism as a way to make her own sociopathic tendancies more culturally acceptable. She had a facination with a serial killer most famous for his brutal murder of a young girl. This is not someone you should be looking to as a role model.

Since you are quoting Hans Herman Hoppe, I'm curious to know if you are aware that Hoppe is a serious social conservative and racist. That in Hoppe's ideologically perfect world people could and should exclude people from their 'society' based on race, creed, sexuality and so forth. He further believes that his private covenants (which are in essence not at all dissimilar from a small government, and which ironically have their own social contracts) would be led by "The natural social elites." a phrase that should make you at least a little uncomfortable if you are opposed to ideas such as white supremacy.

How do you reconcile these arguements from Hoppe with what you like about his work?

You know what? I'll bite.

This is superfluous.

Its always good to set stuff out just in case

quote:

I'd argue that you have a problem right off the get go here. While within your narrow series of ethics property rights are inviolable, this is not necesarily true for groups outside your own narrow focus. In fact most humans on the planet would argue that there are a variety of situations in which violations of your property rights can be justified by virtue of a greater societal good.

I'd argue that you cannot justify a violation. Keep in mind that being violent towards someone who has aggressed you is not a violation of their rights.

quote:

Most of this makes sense to a point. I'd argue that most ethics are not necessarily derived from arguments over property, that ethics pertaining to child rearing, rape, social interactions etc don't' necessarily have anything to do with property unless we accept your premise that every human interaction is an interaction based on property, which pretty much no one does. But this isn't a huge point of argument anyways.

most ethics aren't, these are. The other ones almost certainly can't be justified.

quote:

You have proven nothing. This whole section is straight up Randian A=A psuedo-philosophical garbage. I hate to be so blunt but it really, really is.

Your argument here for the layman poster who doesn't care to read your words, is that since we are using discussion to solve this conflict that somehow proves that argumentation is preferable to violence. This sort of argument would get you laughed out of any philosophy department in the nation because it is both shallow and unbelievably wrong.

We both agree that talking is the best way to resolve problems. That does not however prohibit 'force' as a nebulous concept from ever being justified, it simply means we would prefer to resolve problems through peaceful and voluntary interactions whenever possible. Briefly I'll step aside to bring up a traditional example:

A man falls from a building and catches hold of a lamppost. He is hanging outside of your 110th story window, the fall will clearly kill him and he has no way to escape his fate but to enter through your window. Since you are not around to have an argument with him on whether or not he should be allowed to enter your apartment, clearly force is his best and only option, even though he is agressing against you by breaking the window to access your apartment.

Having proven some form of violence... wait. No. I haven't proven it either, what I have done is shown that there are instances in which agressing against someone else's property is the proper moral action for one person, while appearing improper to another. That is because morals are subjective, which is why the Non-Agression principle is stupid, because it is an absolute with no flexibility and no real ability to function in a complicated and messy world.

Its not that argumentation is "better", just that its framework provides things like property rights, while lawlessness/violence/whathaveyou is only animals beating each other to death whenever it suits them. Its totally ok to not use argumentation, just don't expect to have it both ways. Your example does not prove that the NAP is dumb. The man could simply fall to his death, that would be justifiable. As unjustifiable as his action was in this situation, he could probably take it (without thinking or whatever) and explain himself to the owner and be forgiven.

quote:

An alternate solution to this conundrum is to not treat literally everything as though it were property. There are no inherent contradictions like this that pop up in my day to day life because I don't view myself as property.

For those of you reading along this is what is called the homesteading principle among libertarians. It seems logical enough on its face but I find that it falls apart when people realize this is not 1628, and that property, particularly land, is more a subject to a long chain of ownership than being laid claim to.

Hoppe doesn't decide what is good or bad, he decides what is just or unjust... which is of course a fancy way of saying what is good or bad.

Hoppean ethics, while rational are not inherently 'true', nor are the subject to verification under anything more than logic. You cannot verify moral laws, because despite what Ayn Rand has told you, there are not objective truths in this world outside of physical laws. You are a sack of meat, which is in turn a sack of base elements. Nothing you do from a moral perspective is objectively right or wrong.

I know you don't agree that they're different, but doing something outside of the NAP just means that you aren't protected by it, not that you aren't allowed.

I'm really not a fan of Rand anymore (paul or ayn lol). Surprise surprise I liked her as a sophomore in high school.

Hoppe is kind of a nut, but I don't see why that should stop him from saying some correct things. He can do whatever he wants in his little fiefdoms he wants to construct, and if he like social contract theory, I didn't know (I think you're mistaken about that though).

Thanks a ton for reading over that. I still think you're wrong, but I definitely have areas to polish

someone suggested that this argument be taken to its own thread, and that makes a lot of sense, could someone either do that for me or give me some pointers? I'll pay you in not making GBS threads up this thread like this anymore.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Who What Now posted:

I'm not, but believe whatever you want.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

"All conflicts are equal" is not a statement you've proved. Murder deprives a person of their life. It irrevocably (for now) ends their existence. It's the most extreme form of violence there is. Stealing a dime, on the other hand, probably won't even be noticed by the person in question. It deprives them of almost nothing.

Converting "violence should not be used to resolve all conflicts" into NAP is question begging unless you've shown "all conflicts are equal."

But the idea of homesteading is not the only objective claim, not is homesteading always objective.

I find a wild dog and domesticate it. Under your ethics, I've mixed my labor with the dog and now own. Now I let it live in my home, entering and leaving as it pleases. Someone else finds the dog, thinks it's wild, and trains it. The owner of the dog is now subjective between me and the other person.

On the other hand, consider the distribution of the scarce resource coal. I might make the claim that it be distributed evenly among all people. It would certainly violate homesteading and you would disagree with it, but it's a claim that's seen objectively between everyone.

Well, for all conflicts equal, the only issue is property rights. There is one line, which delineates not violating from violating, and there is no reason one violation should be different from another. Any violation is an action outside of the NAP and thereby puts the actor outside the protection of property rights.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

nutranurse posted:

Alright, assuming that we agree that inequality exists and that the poorest black is many times poorer than the poorest whites
What on earth would make you think this is true? Destitute is destitute.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Fried Chicken posted:

He's praising Coates writing style and the strength of the essay. Unless you take issue with the prose I'm not certain what the problem is
Oh, sorry, I thought it was obvious by the way a ton of goons bit down hard on the bait the NPR article refers to.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Who What Now posted:

Pay up, I got him to post that courts would probably need to exist which jrodefeld would never do.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Pay up, I got him to post that courts would probably need to exist which jrodefeld would never do.

you didn't make me do anything...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Who What Now posted:

Theism doesn't have a perfect benchmark, and in fact if you're implying a Judeao-Christian theism then it has a really imperfect benchmark.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. More plainly, if there is no arbiter of morality with, I suppose, a reasonable justification to be said arbiter (a deity of some sort in that sense) then all self-imposed morality appears to me to to be an effort in ego-satisfying. That's not a bad thing at all though!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Miltank posted:

What on earth would make you think this is true? Destitute is destitute.

I'd rather be destitute and white and not have to face racial hatred on top of the normal class problems that comes with being destitute and black. This is what TNC's been stressing, poor blacks are not poor whites, their problems are different, come from different places, and require different solutions.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 22, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

absolem posted:

Well, for all conflicts equal, the only issue is property rights. There is one line, which delineates not violating from violating, and there is no reason one violation should be different from another. Any violation is an action outside of the NAP and thereby puts the actor outside the protection of property rights.

Ok, but all conflicts are still not equal. Not violating NAP against someone advocating NAP doesn't equate to not violating NAP in all circumstances.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

absolem posted:

Sure, social cooperation is necessary and good. I mean, a fundamental idea of economics is that all freely made agreements are mutually beneficial, in some fashion. I'm not advocating that you not interact with or help other people just because it doesn't immediately make you better off, I'm just saying that charity is not a universally helpful enterprise. Its pretty well understood that being nice and helping out (small acts of kindness and such) help society run smoothly, and I find that valuable.

I would argue that reparations would be social cooperation then. I'm sure the how's and why's have been addressed since this thread has been exploding with people trying to poke holes in your belief structure, but all I would say is that I seriously doubt reparations would even affect anyone other than those who have benefited these scams.

Also, I would disagree that charity is not a universally helpful enterprise. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your idea of "universally helpful." It seems like you've disagreed with that idea by typing the sentence that came directly afterward.

This thread is moving so fast. I really wanted to come out of my lurky-murky hidey-hole to echo what a lot of people have already said. Reparations would be A Good Thing. It should happen, because it is fair and just. People were robbed and hamstrung, and the idea that "oh it was so long ago it doesn't matter" is completely absent of the realization that society has never tried to restore any balance.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 22, 2014

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Ok, but all conflicts are still not equal. Not violating NAP against someone advocating NAP doesn't equate to not violating NAP in all circumstances.

Could you elaborate as to why not?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So the GOP candidates for Governor of Colorado (all men) had a debate about "Women and Colorado’s Future" where they'd be asked questions by women. The moderator asks the women to join the candidates on stage and.... cue the music from The Dating Game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C-BxmwiDik

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nevermind

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 22, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nutranurse posted:

I'd rather be destitute and white and not have to face racial hatred on top of the normal class problems that comes with being destitute and white. This is what TNC's been stressing, poor blacks are not poor whites, their problems are different, come from different places, and require different solutions.

This cannot be stressed enough. There are almost no, if any, situations where all other things being equal a white person won't be better off than a black person in similar situations simply because of the systemic institutions in place that will always favor the white person over the black person.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

absolem posted:

someone suggested that this argument be taken to its own thread, and that makes a lot of sense, could someone either do that for me or give me some pointers? I'll pay you in not making GBS threads up this thread like this anymore.

Hit the post button, copy your pastebin material into your OP, and make sure the title is witty and relevant. Just type anything, really. Everything you write is such bullshit it will act like chum on this forum. Do it now, it will be a fun thread for everyone involved, and this thread can go back to being whatever the hell it was before you showed up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pohl posted:

Hit the post button, copy your pastebin material into your OP, and make sure the title is witty and relevant. Just type anything, really. Everything you write is such bullshit it will act like chum on this forum. Do it now, it will be a fun thread for everyone involved, and this thread can go back to being whatever the hell it was before you showed up.

If you do do this, shoot Xylo an email or PM or whatever first because I recall he had some specific rules for the last time jrodefeld did something like this.

e: welp

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636675

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
absolem, what's your plan for returning all of the land and resources of the US to the Native Americans, the unambiguously rightful owners whom we can objectively say everything that exists in America today was stolen from? You seem pretty hung up on property rights, so this seems like it's a pretty big priority for you.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Langosta posted:

I would argue that reparations would be social cooperation then. I'm sure the how's and why's have been addressed since this thread has been exploding with people trying to poke holes in your belief structure, but all I would say is that I seriously doubt reparations would even affect anyone other than those who have benefited these scams.

Also, I would disagree that charity is not a universally helpful enterprise. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your idea of "universally helpful." It seems like you've disagreed with that idea by typing the sentence that came directly afterward.

This thread is moving so fast. I really wanted to come out of my lurky-murky hidey-hole to echo what a lot of people have already said. Reparations would be A Good Thing. It should happen, because it is fair and just. People were robbed and hamstrung, and the idea that "oh it was so long ago it doesn't matter" is completely absent of the realization that society has never tried to restore any balance.

Charity sometimes hurts those its designed to help, you have to carefully evaluate each program to see if its good or not

Hey if you want to keep dogpiling me you better do it in a different thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636675&pagenumber=1
I'm going to confine my talk here to US politics

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
-EDIT-

Haha, whelp, never mind!

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 22, 2014

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

VitalSigns posted:

So your entire ethical philosophy seems to rest on the inviolability of property rights and the objective requirement to define ownership based on first appropriation of land.

It would seem to follow that no one in America has the right to the land they own, whether they inherited it from the colonists or bought it, so it looks to me like the only justifiable thing is to either return it or pay compensation to the heirs of the original owners, using every available means to track them down, yet...oddly...you oppose this. Why?

Keep in mind that you've already said that no appeal to practicality can justify a violation of property rights. Ever.

Not all american land was owned (you can use it and not own it by virtue of not wanting it). If someone showed me that something I owned was actually owned by someone else, I would surrender it to them at once and so too should everyone else. That isn't the same as a blanket reparation.
anyway, I'm done with anything not US Pol in this thread, but you can still rag on me at
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636675&pagenumber=1

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Lemming posted:

absolem, what's your plan for returning all of the land and resources of the US to the Native Americans, the unambiguously rightful owners whom we can objectively say everything that exists in America today was stolen from? You seem pretty hung up on property rights, so this seems like it's a pretty big priority for you.

My plan is that if I'm ever shown that something I claim to own is in fact owned by someone else, that I will immediately surrender it to them and offer to pay them back in the hope that they don't put me in the mines for the rest of my life (and also recommend that everyone else does likewise). see my post in response to vitalsigns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Christ. I just read all this. :psyduck:

I cannot wait for the midterms.

• Locked thread