Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If you do do this, shoot Xylo an email or PM or whatever first because I recall he had some specific rules for the last time jrodefeld did something like this.

e: welp

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636675

Haha, I can't believe that loving worked. :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

So I got 20 DebateDiscoFunBux that absolem really is just a jrodefeld rereg.

Nej, he keeps up with the thread. He (I'm uh, making the bold assumption that an ancap fedora is male) also doesn't appear to be fully down the mises sinkhole yet, because he still feels twinges of altruism and sympathy for others which he is trying to recontextualize through ~ancaprithmetic~

e: VVV do it, cranks are a precious resource that should feel welcomed.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I just got my tax refund, so should I get our new objectivist a custom avatar?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pohl posted:

Haha, I can't believe that loving worked. :commissar:

Damnit! That motherfucker! I just finished putting up a carefully crafted Libertarian thread :negative:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Caros posted:

Damnit! That motherfucker! I just finished putting up a carefully crafted Libertarian thread :negative:

I wouldn't worry. If yours is a better thread, the market dictates it will win out.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

I wouldn't worry. If yours is a better thread, the market dictates it will win out.

But what if The State (Xylo) intervenes, creating distortions contrary to logic and natural law :ohdear:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

But what if The State (Xylo) intervenes, creating distortions contrary to logic and natural law :ohdear:

This is only necessary in the case of violence or breach of contract (a.k.a. violence against money).

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again you are my favorite source of politics on this forum Joementum. I wish I was half as witty as you.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Climate change: Super PAC targets Republicans who deny human role in warming.

quote:

Environmentalist billionaire Tom Steyer is taking aim at Republican politicians who reject climate change.
The retired hedge fund manager’s super political action committee, NextGen Climate Action, announced plans Wednesday to plunge $100 million into seven congressional and gubernatorial races, where Democratic candidates face opponents who have publicly expressed doubts about anthropogenic climate change or who receive donations from the fossil fuel industry.

"The debate on climate change is settled," Mr. Steyer told Reuters. "It is here, it is human-caused, and it is already having a devastating impact on our communities, but we need to accelerate the level of political support to address this critical issue before it's too late."

Steyer has thrown his financial backing behind Democratic candidates in the past, including President Obama and Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, but the NextGen campaign represents a more concerted effort to counter the massive sums being spent on Republican candidates by billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch’s super PAC, Americans for Prosperity, according to NextGen's chief strategist, Chris Lehane.

"We're spending a drop in the big-oil bucket compare to what the fossil fuel industry is spending,” Mr. Lehane told the Associated Press. “All Tom is trying to do is really to level the playing field."

Steyer has already pledged $50 million of his own funds to NextGen and hopes to entice likeminded donors to match his contribution. Still, it is unclear if Democrats will be able to compete with Republican super PACs. The Koch brothers reportedly poured $400 million into the 2012 elections.

What NextGen lacks in spending power, it plans to make up for in pointed strategy. NextGen strategists will focus calculated ad campaigns that play on issues central to local constituencies in seven states. Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania are all in the super PAC’s sights.
“We are not going to be talking about polar bears and butterflies,” Lehane told the Los Angeles Times. “We are going to be talking about how this issue of climate impacts people in their backyards, in their states, in their communities.”

Caros posted:

I checked it out, it looks like a good OP.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 23, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Man, I wonder how a libertarian would respond to Coates' work on reparations?

https://medium.com/p/7cde116f4eb1

quote:

Whatever the repartitions are going to be, and I suggest TRILLIONS of dollars, I am only in favor of them, if and only if, the guaranteed end result is smaller government.

The wretched sin of slavery, what blacks suffered while this country became the greatest on earth, is not a reason to end what made this country great. Libertarians didn’t do this to blacks. Government did. And in any solution, we are not going to punish Libertarians, we are going to punish Government.

The question is will TNC accept TRILLIONS in reparations as a truce between blacks and Libertarians? Are TRILLIONS of dollars enough for TNC to throw Democrats under the bus and give Libertarians a chance?

Keep on truckin, white America.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

So the GOP candidates for Governor of Colorado (all men) had a debate about "Women and Colorado’s Future" where they'd be asked questions by women. The moderator asks the women to join the candidates on stage and.... cue the music from The Dating Game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C-BxmwiDik

Audio of the entire thing

http://newstalk710knus.podbean.com/e/women-and-colorados-future-gubernatorial-debate-may-20-2014/

It rules

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate version of the NDAA, which will be named after committee chairman Carl Levin in honor of his retirement, contains a provision allowing the President to close Gitmo unless veto-proof majorities in Congress object. Obama may be able to do that thing he promised to do on day one, just on day 2,000 or so.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Berke Negri posted:

Man, I wonder how a libertarian would respond to Coates' work on reparations?

https://medium.com/p/7cde116f4eb1

Keep on truckin, white America.

I like how black people and libertarians are a separate group, they aren't even trying to hide it's a movement for white people only anymore :allears:

Joementum posted:

The Senate version of the NDAA, which will be named after committee chairman Carl Levin in honor of his retirement, contains a provision allowing the President to close Gitmo unless veto-proof majorities in Congress object. Obama may be able to do that thing he promised to do on day one, just on day 2,000 or so.

Better late than never which is looking increasing likely as Obama's term comes to a close.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SirKibbles posted:

I like how black people and libertarians are a separate group, they aren't even trying to hide it's a movement for white people only anymore :allears:

You see, black people just don't understand. Remember how Will Smith taught us that "Parents just don't understand"? It is sort of like that, only not, because it is racist as gently caress. I can't even not laugh about this poo poo anymore. I probably shouldn't but this crap just makes me laugh anymore it is so absurd.

SirKibbles posted:

Better late than never which is looking increasing likely as Obama's term comes to a close.

Once he decided to say gently caress compromise and told Republican's he wasn't playing their games anymore, he may actually be able to get some stuff done. Wow. What took him so drat long?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 23, 2014

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Pohl posted:

You see, black people just don't understand. Remember how Will Smith taught us that "Parents just don't understand"? It is sort of like that, only not, because it is racist as gently caress. I can't even not laugh about this poo poo anymore. I probably shouldn't but this crap just makes me laugh anymore it is so absurd.

It's not even "black people just don't understand." It's "anyone who is not an already extremely wealthy and privileged white man, or a young and inexperienced white man who just KNOWS he is destined beyond doubt for wealth and privilege, just don't understand," because these are almost literally the only demographic groups that fall for the ridiculous hoax of "libertarianism."

Imagine that, a political system that is designed to legitimize the iron-fisted rule of inherited wealth is strongly supported by, and only by, people who have inherited wealth or desperately hope to inherit wealth and is seen as baseless stupidity by everyone else. I bet this is due to government interference somehow! If only people could see! If only they weren't blinded by statism! :argh:

Of course, the infallible market has already made its judgment on libertarianism, what with the fact that the declared candidates of the libertarian ethos never get any appreciable votes in any sort of important election and without the life support system of "think tanks" funded by billionaires trying to cloak its robber-baronism in the Gadsden flag it would already be forgotten like a fart on the wind.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Joementum posted:

At this point, the disaster of Gitmo mostly serves as a stark reminder to Obama and future US executives that outsourcing your torture through rendition is a lot less of a headache than doing it on a US base or with US personnel.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Defender of dictators, introducer of impeachment, and sometimes-Libertarian Bob Barr has Reagan desktop wallpaper, likes to pose with it.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Joementum posted:

Defender of dictators, introducer of impeachment, and sometimes-Libertarian Bob Barr has Reagan desktop wallpaper, likes to pose with it.

10:1 odds that the desktop picture is only like 720x480 and all pixelated. I mean, just going by every old conservative guy who's computer I've worked on.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Joementum posted:

"I'm telling you Parker, Spider-Man is a menace! Try and get more shots of panicked civilians, that's what sells papers!"

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Who What Now posted:

This cannot be stressed enough. There are almost no, if any, situations where all other things being equal a white person won't be better off than a black person in similar situations simply because of the systemic institutions in place that will always favor the white person over the black person.

And these injustices go far beyond simple economic inequality so their solutions will be qualitatively different from those simply aimed at economic inequality. If the justice system still treats black people far more harshly than it does white people, there's no distribution of wealth (either equal or even more grossly unequal) that will make it fair because it's not about wealth.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Steve King challenged Chuck Schumer to a duel today.... a duel of wits, which King apparently thinks he would win. Also, he'd win an actual duel, but that's not what he's talking about because that'd be illegal.

quote:

"If we're going to have some kind of a challenge of rhetoric bouncing back between the House and Senate, let's do it face to face," King said on the House floor. "Let's do it eye to eye. Let's have that duel, not like Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton -- but I would be the one standing on the high ground on that. But let's do it like real men do it today. Not dueling pistols at 50 paces, let's do this with microphones within arm's reach."

"Maybe we could get to the bottom of this and we could determine who actually had the xenophobia," he continued.

By an amazing coincidence, today happens to be the 158th anniversary of Senator Charles Sumner getting beaten with a cane by Representative Preston Brooks on the Senate floor.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joementum posted:

Steve King challenged Chuck Schumer to a duel today.... a duel of wits, which King apparently thinks he would win. Also, he'd win an actual duel, but that's not what he's talking about because that'd be illegal.

By an amazing coincidence, today happens to be the 158th anniversary of Senator Charles Sumner getting beaten with a cane by Representative Preston Brooks on the Senate floor.
Can I catch the xenophobia by being near Steve King? Is he a public health hazard?

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Caros posted:

Your OP is waaaaaaaaay better than mine, too. (and I'd use your thread to talk about libertarianism, if I thought any other libertarians would show up to talk) besides, mine was trying to be more general (which I still think is a good idea, maybe after its no longer fun to berate me)

Serious question, are these threads always a brutal dogpile on errant minds?

Also, what is it that this hivemind even subscribes too? Or is it just a case of different reasons, but most people end up at the same policy desires?

Anyway, something actually relevant: http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21602694-after-lot-name-calling-republicans-are-picking-strong-candidates

What does anyone think the republican chances are in the upcoming elections? I think they're pretty decent in general, and I kind of just hope we end up back in deadlock or they somehow gently caress up (because we're going to go in a direction I don't like fiscally regardless, so we might as well go with the people more likely to let people marry and whatnot and less likely to start wars)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kafka Esq. posted:

Most of the time, I read this thread for shits and giggles, but the believability of this troll really took the cake.

The regdate was a dead giveaway, why do people keep taking the bait?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

D&D is not a hivemind. There are plenty of arguments and slapfights around here. There are even Republicans. But even people who violently disagree with each other are still going to dogpile on you if you post obvious nonsense.

You may as well complain that we're all identical robots because no one takes your Luminiferous Aether theory seriously.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Can I catch the xenophobia by being near Steve King? Is he a public health hazard?

Yes. Serious answer.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

effectual posted:

Is it too much to ask for a little more novelty from the trolls, though? Endless go-rounds about coercion and blathering about how the free market will just sort everything out on its own make me miss the more out-there, individual shitposters. Say what you will about someone like let's say Emden, at least he's a breath of fresh air.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

VitalSigns posted:

D&D is not a hivemind. There are plenty of arguments and slapfights around here. There are even Republicans. But even people who violently disagree with each other are still going to dogpile on you if you post obvious nonsense.

You may as well complain that we're all identical robots because no one takes your Luminiferous Aether theory seriously.

To be completely honest I don't necessarily agree with this. There's a tendency to devolve into memes and that sort of ineffective, effete sarcastic posting should anyone post anything that either disagrees with, or sounds like it disagrees with what seems to be "established". So you end up with goofball events like me and SedanChair posting the same thing, but him thinking we are disagreeing over that very thing.

I suppose it's the tendency in this sort of area but I don't know if it's necessarily productive or intellectually stimulating.

(That said, as I stated before, I too disagree with what the libertarian fellow was posting before, and I think he, similarly to many "regulars" in this thread, was unwilling to change his mind based off of any presented evidence)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chantilly Say posted:

Say what you will about someone like let's say Emden, at least he's a breath of fresh air.

You know who else was a breath of fresh air....

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

nutranurse posted:

This is what TNC's been stressing, poor blacks are not poor whites, their problems are different, come from different places, and require different solutions.

Ok I understand the argument now. I could certainly see how the root causes of inequality of blacks might be different then whites, and I misunderstood what you meant by rejecting "color blind" social welfare- meaning taking actions meant to alleviate poverty as experienced by the black community which might not be the same actions that would be taken to alleviate poverty in the white community. That sounds totally good and just to me.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Steve King?

serious edit:

Miltank posted:

Ok I understand the argument now. I could certainly see how the root causes of inequality of blacks might be different then whites, and I misunderstood what you meant by rejecting "color blind" social welfare- meaning taking actions meant to alleviate poverty as experienced by the black community which might not be the same actions that would be taken to alleviate poverty in the white community. That sounds totally good and just to me.
Yeah, to put it another way, it doesn't do any good just to give poor people jobs if blacks get pulled over and arrested by cops in the car they just bought with their hard earned money for some bullshit reason.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 23, 2014

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Joementum posted:

TobleroneTriangular?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

effectual posted:

I've skipped every post by or quoting that loving retard since he posted "there's nothing wrong with benefitting from white supremacy." Because really. Are you guys this gullible? Even if someone does believe such a retarded , disgusting thing, it's about as worthwhile as debating your dog over whether he should eat his own poo poo. All you can do is smack him with a newspaper, yell "NO!" and keep walking.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

absolem posted:

Serious question, are these threads always a brutal dogpile on errant minds?

Also, what is it that this hivemind even subscribes too? Or is it just a case of different reasons, but most people end up at the same policy desires?

What does anyone think the republican chances are in the upcoming elections? I think they're pretty decent in general, and I kind of just hope we end up back in deadlock or they somehow gently caress up (because we're going to go in a direction I don't like fiscally regardless, so we might as well go with the people more likely to let people marry and whatnot and less likely to start wars)

Not per se but if someone comes in subscribing to libertarianism there's usually a decent dog pile.

Opinions here generally range from liberal to out and out Marxist with the latter being quite prevalent.

Consensus right now is that the Republicans will probably take the Senate back and retain control of the house. But it will be a pretty narrow majority, nothing that's filibuster proof or able to override a presidential veto. So even less will probably be done by this upcoming Congress.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Speak of the devil...

So hey, I know this thread isn't exactly a focused one, and that it's also D&D and not an RSS feed, but can you guys try to show some discretion? If Jrodefeld part 2 posts a thread, can't you argue with him in his own thread, and not here?

Lemming posted:

absolem, what's your plan for returning all of the land and resources of the US to the Native Americans, the unambiguously rightful owners whom we can objectively say everything that exists in America today was stolen from? You seem pretty hung up on property rights, so this seems like it's a pretty big priority for you.
Like, really, what's this going to do but destroy the thread?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If you do do this, shoot Xylo an email or PM or whatever first because I recall he had some specific rules for the last time jrodefeld did something like this.

e: welp

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636675

The rule was "don't" but you know, I think I'll allow it for containment purposes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In between office sessions of spin the bottle Rep. McAllister has come up with the perfect solution to oil spills: duct tape!

quote:

Louisiana Rep. Vance McAllister (R) accused Matson of throwing a “fit” just because “some guy took initiative.”

“You took a picture of someone who was innovative, and rather than leaving the fluid to drip on the ground, repaired it with duct tape and a garbage bag, and yet you seem to be very upset about that,” McAllister said. “We’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t.”

“We take a garbage bag and fix it and keep it from leaking and yet you’re still not happy, and come to Washington and testify before Congress and want to throw fits because some guy took initiative.”

Matson pointed out that he had photos that showed a garbage bag repair from a year earlier, and no one had ever come back to complete the repair.

Pretty sure the repair was already completed by the hero with the tape. Checkmate, Matson! :911: :smug:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

absolem posted:

Your OP is waaaaaaaaay better than mine, too. (and I'd use your thread to talk about libertarianism, if I thought any other libertarians would show up to talk) besides, mine was trying to be more general (which I still think is a good idea, maybe after its no longer fun to berate me)

It's always going to be fun to berate libertarians. But if you think that's a good OP, you secretly know that libertarianism is bullshit, so hurry up and abandon it. We all did.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

SedanChair posted:

It's always going to be fun to berate libertarians. But if you think that's a good OP, you secretly know that libertarianism is bullshit, so hurry up and abandon it. We all did.

I laugh a bit when I read posts like this, it makes me feel as if the people that say it are following the political flavor of the moment. I hope your ideals are more properly secure than that, considering the amount of vitriol and all.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

In between office sessions of spin the bottle Rep. McAllister has come up with the perfect solution to oil spills: duct tape!

Pretty sure the repair was already completed by the hero with the tape. Checkmate, Matson! :911: :smug:
It's not the worst idea that's been floated and actually discussed by supposedly intelligent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

XyloJW posted:

Speak of the devil...
The rule was "don't" but you know, I think I'll allow it for containment purposes.

Oh god thank you, I think we are all kind of bored.

• Locked thread