Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Forer posted:

The economy is always kinda in a mess, but because wushu doesn't really have reasonable money creation or meatsinks. Think about the source of monies in wushu.

Where do you get a ding.

You can either:
A. Kidnap during the restricted times for, like, 15 liang tops.
B. open credit cards and get lucky after hours.
C. buy it from snail at a horrible price.

That's where money comes from, which isn't too bad in a vaccum, but the issue is where money goes.

You lose money as it's gifted to NPC for quests and quests and quests. You buy minor buffs in exploring jianghu for 1 liang each or from the tornado event right now OR from fog, praying takes 20 liang, upgrading equipment costs items you have to buy with unbound liang, a lot of it. Posession will give you red armor if you buy items for unbound. So much liang is burned through normal usage that is literally vanished into nothingness. Because there's so few outlets that the game will give you unbound liang, and so many important outlets for where unbound liang goes, people want to try to make money from scarcity of products which nobody can do because people can't get the money in the first place.

The economy was always a mess, but because one of the only real reliable sources of income (kidnapping) dropped how often you can do it, people are trying to raise their prices hoping to cover their problems acting like it will help when they're just reducing the velocity of money SO MUCH that nobody can buy anything.

I THINK this is a good summary, someone else want to throw in to the mix?

Edit: Note, I'm not talking about where you lose money, like you buy a tai-chi fragment. That's you buying an item worth whatever and them getting however much money which is okay. I'm talking about where money is deleted from the game.

You forgot about there being an automatic 5% tax on every transaction between players. So even regular trading makes money disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christopher
May 29, 2006
Looks like GoonTangClan has 3 members. What clan is everyone in now? Sanguine Goon?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Christopher posted:

Looks like GoonTangClan has 3 members. What clan is everyone in now? Sanguine Goon?

That's probably the GoonTangCIan you're looking at.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Christopher posted:

You want GoonTangClan and not GoonTangCIan, since they look the same in game. Else message Haquertal in game and I'll get you in.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

You have to check the circle on the upper-right with the swirl thing before searching for some dumb reason.
Haq, might want to add that to the op.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Third World Reggin posted:

When Xena I Love You gets tired of space engineers or dynasty warriors 8 I will pop in to play with him.

I went to the smilies page to find one that adequately registered my disappointment and we apparently have this now which makes me feel better about buying the Slut Daggers Set Version 2.

:ovr:

It's a green thing and it blinks at you. Like a DOS text marker? Please think about that.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

FebrezeNinja posted:

You have to check the circle on the upper-right with the swirl thing before searching for some dumb reason.
Haq, might want to add that to the op.

Done! Didn't know that, since I don't recall it working that way when I applied last March but who knows it's been a loving year and why am I still playing a china game :smithicide:

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Haquer posted:

Done! Didn't know that, since I don't recall it working that way when I applied last March but who knows it's been a loving year and why am I still playing a china game :smithicide:

It's because we accept Vagrants now.
I don't know why that needs a checkbox.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Huatah is still the worst at this whole "war" thing.

What: GuIlD wAr AgAiNsT hUaTaHHHHH!!!!
When: :smaug:
Where: Southeast Yanjing MO base, and then defending Feihi
Why: Resurrection is continuing to try and take the MO base, and to try and get our alliance to split up forces Heiji also declared on our east Scholars base... which actually causes HIS forces to get split up since he should've declared with another ally of his to split it instead :loleyes:

PassiveSentence
Jun 2, 2013

Our good friend CallMeKing would like to play his favorite song, "Crow" :allears:

Skion
Mar 24, 2013
Got a new SSD to replace my exploded HD, but logged in to find my account cleaned out. Yet again.
Even had the matrix, new passwords all that poo poo from the last time.

Hoping support actually does something, because this poo poo is mad gay.

Also pulled some old screenshots which I'll post in here.

^Was from killing viet kidnap bots for a week :>

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Skion posted:

Got a new SSD to replace my exploded HD, but logged in to find my account cleaned out. Yet again.

Hoping support actually does something, because this poo poo

I'm almost convinced that Snail does it themselves on idle accounts, to "encourage" returning players to buy VIP or silver from them. Though I can't completely discount the fact that it's Snail, so they could just be getting straight-up hacked on the regular and it wouldn't be too surprising. Either way, you're not getting your stuff back.

madmario
Mar 30, 2014

While you sleep,
your enemy practices.

ponzicar posted:

This kidnapping change is a free economics lesson in why deflation is a bad thing.

Eh. Deflation is generally a good sign--I'm with Milton Friedman on that. I'd say, rather, this is an object lesson in how central planning is a bad economic policy.

A ready example--cell phones are much more affordable than say 20 or 30 years ago. That is deflation--prices going down. Ostensible environmental concerns aside a moment--the wider access to cell phones is a good thing, and enriches society.

In the game sense, often in these kind of games certain items get cheaper and easier to get over time. That is deflation--prices going down.

The present situation--this is reducing the supply of money, while some costs are fixed, such as for the minimum taels to jail a person, or the minimum 150 taels to get the weekly martial arts practice bonus. That is central planning. The problem isn't deflation per se--if all costs could deflate, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But they won't.

If you hate this economy as a red blooded American, that's natural. It's central planning with a pretend free market.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

madmario posted:

A ready example--cell phones are much more affordable than say 20 or 30 years ago. That is deflation--prices going down.

Noooo? The price of cell phones has plummeted from 20/30 years ago, but the price of goods in general has only increased. Inflation and deflation aren't about prices per se, but about the value of a currency with respect to the value of goods. Deflation means cash gains value over time, while inflation means cash loses value over time. And deflation has a lot of undesirable aspects, as we're seeing here- why buy something today when you could buy it tomorrow for less money?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

ChickenMedium posted:

I'm almost convinced that Snail does it themselves on idle accounts, to "encourage" returning players to buy VIP or silver from them. Though I can't completely discount the fact that it's Snail, so they could just be getting straight-up hacked on the regular and it wouldn't be too surprising. Either way, you're not getting your stuff back.
I've gone on 2 three month+ hiatuses and been around since the first ban waves. I have never had a liang disappear across 12 accounts.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 24, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Skion posted:

You're in the same boat as me and I had the matrix and randomly generated passwords and emails and everything. Snail can restore accounts before a certain time period. If you were hacked recently then they can get stuff for you back but if you were hacked some time ago, good luck and please buy more gold from Snail.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Been playing this a bit, getting acclimated is difficult business but it seems fun so far. Just applied to the guild as Gither, going to see how Scholar flute playing goes.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Leffe was fighting Dokey earlier and it mostly consisted of Dokey airdashing around throwing Shen needles for 1-3k or using the new cash shop set and hitting harder than ancient dogbeating.

Who's ready for a really lovely Hua?

Hole Wolf fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 24, 2014

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Shen needles hit that hard? That's relatively impressive.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Saradiart posted:

Shen needles hit that hard? That's relatively impressive.

No, beggar 4th inner hits that hard. Shen needles actually do very little damage, it's more of a support set.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Shen needles can hit really hard if fully charged and you get a crit on someone under the guiding needle debuff. Shen members can also boost the damage of their skills by playing the "cure people around the world" minigame (Thats what the "Damage increase with medical value desc. line" mean). What i found most interesting for this set is that its mixed internal and external and that needle damage scale off brawn and breath, making it a useful ranged and healing set without having to swap stats. Its perfectly fitted for Shen internal with its roughly equal value for all stats.

But with only 2 attacks (with the same animation), a ranged feint and a ranged (10m) debuff its a very, very boring set to look at.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

madmario posted:

Eh. Deflation is generally a good sign--I'm with Milton Friedman on that. I'd say, rather, this is an object lesson in how central planning is a bad economic policy.

A ready example--cell phones are much more affordable than say 20 or 30 years ago. That is deflation--prices going down. Ostensible environmental concerns aside a moment--the wider access to cell phones is a good thing, and enriches society.

In the game sense, often in these kind of games certain items get cheaper and easier to get over time. That is deflation--prices going down.

The present situation--this is reducing the supply of money, while some costs are fixed, such as for the minimum taels to jail a person, or the minimum 150 taels to get the weekly martial arts practice bonus. That is central planning. The problem isn't deflation per se--if all costs could deflate, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But they won't.

If you hate this economy as a red blooded American, that's natural. It's central planning with a pretend free market.

How many bitcoins do you own?

Back on topic, I found you can still get evil points by running carts. You have to be grouped with an already evil player, and be near him or her when the cart finishes. So that means you need three characters in your team. One to stand next to, the other to run the carts.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Yeah Chinagame economy is hosed. I haven't even gotten a stall since the patch because I can't afford it, AND I'm not confident I can sell enough stuff to even cover the 100L it would cost. Basically, Snail's only option at this point if they keep kidnapping as is is to lower the cost of snail taels to something reasonable. Otherwise, there's a lot of content most people will never even see, and that's a shame. I hesitate to even click the button for possession these days, or to pay for extra card flips. Used to be 10L was nothing, but now it's quite a bit. Now that the post faction hype is dying down too, it seems like fewer and fewer people are playing. Many of the old players have moved to greener pastures, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the newer generation of players doing the same thing once they reach the endgame.

Basically I think snail hosed themselves pretty hard. Rumors from Jizzwhiz talking to Earthquake said Snail was about one cunthair away from sun setting the game before the Steam launch and the influx of new players dug it away from being a total loss. Maybe I'm just a bittervet, but I can't see the game lasting for another year. Maybe if they do a big server merge that might save it, but even so that will just be delaying the inevitable.

Something has to give. Either they need to lower the cost of taels, or turn the kidnapping faucet on again.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Haroshia posted:

Yeah Chinagame economy is hosed. I haven't even gotten a stall since the patch because I can't afford it, AND I'm not confident I can sell enough stuff to even cover the 100L it would cost. Basically, Snail's only option at this point if they keep kidnapping as is is to lower the cost of snail taels to something reasonable. Otherwise, there's a lot of content most people will never even see, and that's a shame. I hesitate to even click the button for possession these days, or to pay for extra card flips. Used to be 10L was nothing, but now it's quite a bit. Now that the post faction hype is dying down too, it seems like fewer and fewer people are playing. Many of the old players have moved to greener pastures, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the newer generation of players doing the same thing once they reach the endgame.

Basically I think snail hosed themselves pretty hard. Rumors from Jizzwhiz talking to Earthquake said Snail was about one cunthair away from sun setting the game before the Steam launch and the influx of new players dug it away from being a total loss. Maybe I'm just a bittervet, but I can't see the game lasting for another year. Maybe if they do a big server merge that might save it, but even so that will just be delaying the inevitable.

Something has to give. Either they need to lower the cost of taels, or turn the kidnapping faucet on again.

They should honestly reduce the cost of taels to $0.01 each (they're currently $0.03 which is 1 ding for $30 which is hahahahtghwer4jktgyhnw3rjygn No.) if even that much.

Problem is, then the pay2wins will whine and then you have people like Intoxicate who believe that because they spend more they should have better things and then welp RIP chinesemmorpg.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Haquer posted:

They should honestly reduce the cost of taels to $0.01 each (they're currently $0.03 which is 1 ding for $30 which is hahahahtghwer4jktgyhnw3rjygn No.) if even that much.

Problem is, then the pay2wins will whine and then you have people like Intoxicate who believe that because they spend more they should have better things and then welp RIP chinesemmorpg.

Can we call it what it really is in Tox's case? Whore2win.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont see why Snail would shutter the US version of the game given the pittance of money they need to keep the servers going and I doubt their customer support and translation team are weighing too deeply into their profits. This is assuming the game is profitable in china where their main development team is at.

EA literally ran the WAR servers till their rights to the game expired, and that game couldn't have more than 50 subscribers in it during the last years of its sorry existence. Snail by comparison could probably keep the US version going indefinitely with just Mutou's money.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Snail would still need to reduce some of the static game prices like stall of 200L, upgrade powder of 150L, etc.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

funakupo posted:

Snail would still need to reduce some of the static game prices like stall of 200L, upgrade powder of 150L, etc.

Right and that's my point about lowering tael prices. Those prices are static and very high. You literally cannot make enough to cover them with kidnapping now in any reasonable timeframe, and buying taels direct from snail for 30 bucks is way too high.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I guess if people get poor enough, we will see more player stalls back in Suzhuo rather than buying world stalls? Set up an alt on a secondary pc, set up a stall...

PassiveSentence
Jun 2, 2013

ChienMa duels at the bank with Perish, is this real life?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

PassiveSentence posted:

We have a feeling that he sold his account, honestly.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

PassiveSentence posted:

He let me gank him twice after losing duels outside Chengdu bank. Old Chienma logged into an instance if he had to take a poo poo. I don't think this is the same Chienma.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Applying my Shaolin-turned-Vagrant-turned-Wanderer's Valley to guild: Xiaopeng. Also, gonna need a WV 3rd martial brother if anyone is willing/capable.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Let's talk about disgusting pay2wins

gently caress these spoiled children

Also, the Rise And Fall of Mutou the Pay2Win (since I don't feel like retyping it)

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Haroshia posted:

Goddamn I'd love to know more details about that, how true it is, etc. I've suspected that the game wasn't long for this world ever since I logged in back in like February or March and saw how amazingly dead everything was. Even now, while much better, it's still a very pale shadow of what it used to be.

I have fun with the game, but I can't shake the ever-present feeling that it won't be long before we're back to that point. Which, for me, makes it hard to stay motivated to do all the crap I need to each day if I want to continue catching up and advancing and whatnot. Just leaves me kind of conflicted.

Very interesting though, glad you shared that.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Haquer posted:

Also, the Rise And Fall of Mutou the Pay2Win (since I don't feel like retyping it)
This is the good kind of drama.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

Oven Wrangler
What is it about Chinagame and the female playerbase? Does it eat away their brains?

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Isn't Intoxicate like 14? Teen angst is my guess, coupled with sugar daddy issues.

Koop, you gonna come watch hua? I can toss koop into whatever matches you want to watch otherwise.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

funakupo posted:

What is it about Chinagame and the female playerbase? Does it eat away their brains?

The crazy isn't restricted to gender. We know there was a guy who was literally going to leave his wife (and kid?) for his online wushu girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Kegslayer posted:

The crazy isn't restricted to gender. We know there was a guy who was literally going to leave his wife (and kid?) for his online wushu girlfriend.

That would be the guy who was married to Phueng (I don't remember his name). People are nutso.