Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

A Progressive Comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hoover Dam posted:

Frozen yogurt in 1987 is relatively new and is positioned entirely as a replacement for ice cream. It is not the Pinkberry "tart with 1000 available toppings" style you see now. Ted Turner bought up a bunch of movies and colorized some of them, but eventually everyone realized this was a bad idea. I am sure there are samples on Youtube if you're interested.

There's a New Coke bit coming up in this arc. Kids, please read up on the Cola Wars tonight.

The most entertaining thing about the Turner colourisation debacle, in hindsight, was one director's impassioned speech before Congress where he said that altering old movies was the act of barbarians and egotistical gangsters. A direct quote:

"These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with ‘fresher faces,’ or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor’s lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new ‘original’ negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires."

That man's name was George Lucas.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

And now I'm remembering Gorgeous George!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- How's the bathroom renovation coming along?
- Nicely! We're spackling and laying tiles

Spackling is the proper verb for it, but literally the Finnish word means leveling. In a less literal manner, "leveling" and "laying tiles" mean "hair of the dog" and "puking", respectively.

Fok_It elaborates upon the the problems of democracy

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

RandomFerret posted:

The most entertaining thing about the Turner colourisation debacle, in hindsight, was one director's impassioned speech before Congress where he said that altering old movies was the act of barbarians and egotistical gangsters. A direct quote:

"These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with ‘fresher faces,’ or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor’s lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new ‘original’ negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires."

That man's name was George Lucas.

It's sad to see Lucas now. He used to be super passionate about stuff and really creative (albeit with strong oversight and others with veto power) but I guess he just liked money more. Can't really blame him for that, even if I think it lead to some really terrible movies due to having nothing but yes-men at that point.

He was a student of Joseph Campbell and set out to tell the story of the Hero With a Thousand Faces in a modern way and succeeded wildly with Star Wars. Joseph Campbell is cool. :smith:

About comics,

Run, Jane! I'm pretty sure your friend knew you were dating Skye and you only hosed her yesterday (spur of the moment, too) and now your friend is a raving, jealous lunatic? Eject! Sever! Hide! Or try for a threesome!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hoover Dam posted:

Frozen yogurt in 1987 is relatively new and is positioned entirely as a replacement for ice cream.
I remember those days. It got to the point where if my parents decided to get a treat at TCBY instead of Carvel, I'd just opt out. Frozen yogurt that tried to be ice cream was so bad that a 9 or 10 year old me would rather skip dessert than eat it.

To this day I still have a huge bias against the stuff, even though I'm sure it's improved.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

This is still going on. :psyduck: I guess at least now we know the horrifying truth of why Knute always wears that hat.

The Amazing Spider-Man

More to come. I have a lot to catch up on and I'm feeling lazy.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo, in which Howland and Beauregard discuss the delegation from the great state of Mars. (May 24, 1956)

Droodles (May 24, 1956)

Out Our Way (January 7-8, 1925)

This first one was posted before in the overyonder, but this copy is missing a stray vertical line that made one of you ask if the homely girl had hung herself.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Stop buying the store brand, you cheap bastard!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think he's supposed to be using squares of scrap paper that he cut up himself and that's why they're in a messy little pile, but the colourist DON'T GIVE A gently caress.

Still, that's going a little overplugger. I don't think there are that many people out there who are cheap enough to make their own post-its.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rude Cop Theater

This one is actually a reference to my very first Spider-Man edit, back in 2011, now sadly lost to time. It featured the phrase "I want to do Spider-Man!" and Peter Parker's timeless response: "Ok."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lots of things are cheaper if your time has no value.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

She's a designer, not a copy writer.

The joke is crushingly bad but at least it's a believable typo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rude Cop Theater

This one is actually a reference to my very first Spider-Man edit, back in 2011, now sadly lost to time. It featured the phrase "I want to do Spider-Man!" and Peter Parker's timeless response: "Ok."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wow, Knute is 80s as all hell here.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Mystery solved... :colbert:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

That's a great Mandrake gestures hypnotically! you've got right there in panel 3.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Y'know what I hate? Two things. One, waking up in bed scared so I sit up dead straight immediately; and two, doing the first so hard that my blanket mysteriously shuffles halfway to my knees. A constant nuisance, that!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Y'know what I hate? Two things. One, waking up in bed scared so I sit up dead straight immediately; and two, doing the first so hard that my blanket mysteriously shuffles halfway to my knees. A constant nuisance, that!

And finding that your rear end is at the base of your giant pillow

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Allen Wren posted:

And finding that your rear end is at the base of your giant pillow

This is actually a normal problem for me but I sleep on like a billion giant pillows.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Also, tits that that big don't hang like that in nothing but a nightie. Does she wear a push-up bra to bed or does Gilchrist not know how knockers work?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (April 20th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam (March 18th 1983)

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 16th 2009)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

This strip is bullshit. Banks aren't open on Sundays, so #2 couldn't have gone to church. Obviously.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Catchup!

Mark Trail

Office Hours

Buz Sawyer

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dewgy posted:

This is actually a normal problem for me but I sleep on like a billion giant pillows.

My point is that if she leaned back from there, she'd bash her head on that headboard.

(doooo iiiit)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Mr. Bill posted:

This strip is bullshit. Banks aren't open on Sundays, so #2 couldn't have gone to church. Obviously.

He could be a Seventh Day Adventist?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr. Bill posted:

It's Wednesday evening service.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:unsmith: Morrie owns.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

In some parallel universe your dad died in that accident and you were never born Gil. Makes you think, huh.

Retail

Hahaha. Dude, the store manager is an incompetent joke and a white-collar criminal. Why you would take anything she says seriously is beyond me.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

With that GO AWAY doormat no one's gonna want to come.

Dustin

Pedantry runs in the family I see.

On the Fastrack

I'll admit I laughed. Birds are my weakness.

Safe Havens

Why not dump reversal potion on them and have them run away?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Pvt.Scott posted:

Also, tits that that big don't hang like that in nothing but a nightie. Does she wear a push-up bra to bed or does Gilchrist not know how knockers work?

You know, I'm good with this. My experience with non-realistic art styles has been that big breasts that always look like they're in a pushup bra might not be great anatomy, but big breasts that are lovingly rendered in their response to gravity and motion are fetishy as gently caress.

I certainly know that if he drew them that way people would be complaining even more.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Diggin' this. I am clearly nekulturny swinia, who is N meant to be?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Redeye Flight posted:

Diggin' this. I am clearly nekulturny swinia, who is N meant to be?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It's Stuart Little and Nicodemus from the rats of NIMH.

I hope Toad has a bitchin' car :rice:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like this Lost Side installment, it's just I can't stop thinking about the whole Dr. Moreau thing in volume II and it gives it a whole different vibe.

"And this is H-142."

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 23, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's Wednesday evening service.

If it's the evening, the bank would still be closed. :colbert:

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

BlueDestiny posted:

I hope Toad has a bitchin' car :rice:

Peter the Rabbit there, incidentally, is mostly one character but with hints of another. Peter Rabbit is, of course, the little rabbit who didn't listen to his mother, pilfered a farmer's garden, and got in trouble. He also had a sister named Cotton-tail. However, Peter Cottontail is a completely different contemporary rabbit from the other side of the pond, who later became more famous with the Easter song "Here Comes Peter Cottontail". Both were children's characters and came about at roughly the same time, though Peter Rabbit has a bit of an edge.

Peter Cottontail, incidentally, also has a connection to Br'er Rabbit and Sammy Jay from the intro. The three of them shared a couple of story appearances back in the day.

As for the rest, while I'm not sure why Moby Dick's skeleton is in the League chamber, the Sword of Martin the Warrior is a blindingly obvious fit. For those who never read Redwall books, Martin the Warrior Mouse founded the titular academy, and his effectively indestructible sword has been passed down for dozens of generations, always reappearing when the Abbey is threatened and needs what is effectively a medieval tac-nuke (not literally, though). It makes badasses out of most anyone who wields it in good faith, largely because Martin's spirit is almost certainly still tied to the blade. It is pretty much always hidden behind a series of puzzles of varying but usually elementary-school difficulty.

And I was going to suggest that the mouse might be one of the Three Blind Mice, but he clearly still has a tail, so nix to that.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 23, 2014

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Thanks to Nigfops for explaining who those leaguers are. Now I'm wondering why Nicodemus is so much bigger a fox. Toad's pretty outsized too.

I have only the vaguest idea of what happens in Reynard the Fox stories, but I do remember that they largely revolve around killing and eating the family of Cuwart the Hare. This Vix Reynard has somehow encountered two rabbits and has yet to eat one, so she's not very good at her job.

Geech: Ti-iii-iii-ime! Is on my side! Yes, it is!

don Jaime fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

don Jaime posted:

Thanks to Nigfops for explaining who those leaguers are. Now I'm wondering why Nicodemus is so much bigger a fox. Toad's pretty outsized too.

I have only the vaguest idea of what happens in Reynard the Fox stories, but I do remember that they largely revolve around killing and eating the family of Cuwart the Hare. This Vix Reynard has somehow encountered two rabbits and has yet to eat one, so she's not very good at her job.

We appear to be operating on Redwall Size Conventions here, wherein creature size serves as a general rule of thumb instead of an absolute. That way, when the largely mouse-populated Abbeydwellers encounter a badger, he only stands about two or three of them tall instead of being the size of a small house.

• Locked thread