Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Do NOT support the Wii U in this thread. This is a safe place for people to make armchair critic statements like "they need to put Mario on a phone". If you don't like that, go post on Miiverse.

do not post unless it's about zelda boobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Some people take their franchises very seriously it seems... Is it worse to have Hyrule Warriors than not have it at all? Apparently so.

So people shouldn't make fun of something because they should just be happy it exists? The existence of Hyrule Warriors doesn't move my needle one way or another in terms of quality of life. If it's good, I'll play it, if it isn't, I won't. It's a video game. I'd like it to be good, that'd be cool. If it's bad, I don't know why the developer bothered wasting the time and resources. Well, that's not true, and it's the same low-investment/high-return reason Dynasty Warriors games keep getting made. Which is cool, but I don't know why you think it has some barrier to criticism just because it's Hyrule Warriors or has the Nintendo seal of quality or whatever.

quote:

People want to give IPs to 3rd parties, but want the same quality of something made in house. You can't have it both ways. If we could find the quality elsewhere we wouldn't be as invested in Nintendos success.

You can absolutely have it both ways. Competent companies have it both ways all the time. Nintendo has had it both ways before. They've got a beloved second-party studio responsible for the revitalization of two major IPs like, right there. There's all sorts of third party companies out there who consistently produce content that's of equal or higher quality to Nintendo's first-party games, but Nintendo's only ever interested in alienating them until they gently caress off. I don't even like Platinum games, but they've expressed interest in working on a Nintendo IP, why not let them take a crack at a Zelda action game instead of Team Ninja? Nintendo has all sorts of options here, they just don't use any of them for reasons that are inscrutable.

And actually, what about those Nintendo-quality in-house teams? What are they working on right now anyway? Finishing Mario Kart, helping on Smash Bros, and grinding on the next big Zelda? Remind me if I've forgotten something. Is that peak capacity for them? If you're a company whose business model is to alienate outside support and ostensibly double down on exclusive in-house software to support your own hardware, shouldn't you actually have the capability to produce consistent content to justify it? If your model is unsustainable, there's a problem with your model.

Dog, I find the quality elsewhere every day. As do the millions of people who have no interest in buying the Wii-U, and haven't touched their Wii in years. I would say the majority of the consumers in the gaming market feel like they're finding pretty good quality in places that aren't Nintendo.

quote:

I actually enjoyed Other M for what it was, a $5 bargain bin game. I don't consider the whole series tainted because of it. People will say "but it's canon!" To which I say stop taking your video games so drat seriously.

It wasn't a $5 bargain bin game though, it retailed at $50. It rapidly became a bargain bin game because that was the market price its quality warranted. People weren't mad about Other M because it wasn't the same quality of a first-party game (or even a second-party game, since Prime's the benchmark), they were mad because it was a poo poo game by any measure. Of course it doesn't taint the series for fans, we know the deal, but its poor sales and public reception does taint Nintendo's willingness to commit increasingly scarce resources to the IP. There's a reason we haven't heard a peep of a new Metroid game, Retro is on Donkey Kong duty, and Star Fox is dead. I don't know about you, but I'd like to play a new (good) Metroid game, or a new (good) Star Fox game. I'm sure somewhere there's a strawman nerd angry at Other M because it ruined his precious plot continuity, but that's not why the average consumer didn't like the game, and that's not why Nintendo is reluctant to revisit the IP.

quote:

It's not like Hyrule Warriors is the new direction for the Zelda Franchise.

That's true, which is why we're not decrying the death of the Zelda franchise, we're making fun of what a stupid game this looks like and how typical it is of what you'd expect from its developer. I mean, we could make the point that it's a waste of resources on a project that won't move a handful of consoles for a struggling out-of-touch company, but I think that ship has been lost at sea for years.

edit: oh my god this is a lot of words i'm sorry i'm sorry

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I did not like Other M because it is sexist trash. If it wasn't a Metroid-branded game and had its own female protag it would be a 2/10.

Tin Soldier
Apr 13, 2005

Hyrule Warriors is going to be the first good Zelda game. Nintendo fans should be thankful omega force and team ninja are working on such a sub-par franchise.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shibawanko posted:

Ahah alright, that's just one scene though. I honestly love the game but I was talking about the first impression it makes. Most of the levels are just of the Super Mario 64 With Better Graphics variety and that's the impression I think it made on most people: another game in the series of NSMB Wii rather than the very different game it was underneath that style.

Man I don't agree at all. And from what I understand, 3D World gets praised left and right so I don't think that's really the impression it made on most people at all. I think most of the game looks absolutely gorgeous. One of the prettiest stages is the one with the huge like... savannah you can run around in as a cat. It looks awesome. And every stage is so pretty and colorful and dang!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

I am very sorry that people are not being positive enough about a video game for you. I am sure it is very difficult to bear the cross of hearing others treat a Tecmo-Koei masterwork with such disrespect.

And there it is, the knee jerk reply, we've come full circle regarding this retarded argument.

Shibawanko posted:

Visual design is actually really important and a lovely visual style can instantly turn me off a game.

What does a single character design have to do with the game's aesthetics?

IronicDongz posted:

Visual design does matter in video games, though. Like it's not the most important thing, surely, but it's in no way 'irrelevant'.

Right, graphics, I understand, again I don't understand what a character's design has to do with the games overall art style.

Developed entirely by Spark Interactive with assistance from Keiji Inafune.

Goons everybody, never letting facts get in the way of their retarded social justice crusades.

blackguy32 posted:

They are part of the development team, but if you want, I can dig up the Ninja Gaiden games other than the 1st and 2nd.

So you're gonna dig up Razors Edge? :confused:

And no they had nothing with Yaiba, that was all Spark, the game was a massive failure anyway so who cares.

I mean you guys do realize that the DW team is separate from the core Team Ninja right? They're called Omega Force they've been making Dynasty Warrior games for years.

I'm just really baffled and confused at all this, all this furor seems to stem from a single aspect of the game which I find retarded.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Widestancer posted:

So what games have lovely visual design and amazing gameplay that you are instantly turned off from?

:allears:

Both System Shock games, Morrowind. Probably the Kings Field games too although I've never tried those.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Man I don't agree at all. And from what I understand, 3D World gets praised left and right so I don't think that's really the impression it made on most people at all. I think most of the game looks absolutely gorgeous. One of the prettiest stages is the one with the huge like... savannah you can run around in as a cat. It looks awesome. And every stage is so pretty and colorful and dang!

Yeah, I was pretty lukewarm on 3D World overall but I don't think you can fault its visuals. It's a really pretty game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mandrel posted:

Yeah, I was pretty lukewarm on 3D World overall but I don't think you can fault its visuals. It's a really pretty game.

If there's one thing this thread stands for it's that you can fault anything about anything. If called out on it remember the phrase "even if it's good it seems like it would be bad, and perception matters".

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Developed entirely by Spark Interactive with assistance from Keiji Inafune.

Goons everybody, never letting facts get in the way of their retarded social justice crusades.

And no they had nothing with Yaiba, that was all Spark, the game was a massive failure anyway so who cares.

Sorry, you're right, Team Ninja was only partially involved (in that they drafted the concept, produced, and oversaw it's development) with that particular bad gross game from a different dumb developer than the guy thought it was by. I do agree that it's important to make the distinction that we're talking about a different gross bad developer than the one that technically made Yaiba.

Good thing it didn't sell though, that's what really matters. Of course, Other M also didn't sell, which is good, though unfortunately that lovely gross game was made by Team Ninja

Along with the Dead or Alive franchise

quote:

I mean you guys do realize that the DW team is separate from the core Team Ninja right? They're called Omega Force they've been making Dynasty Warrior games for years.

I'm just really baffled and confused at all this, all this furor seems to stem from a single aspect of the game which I find retarded.

Nothing inspires confidence quite like "the team that's been making Dynasty Warrior games for years."

I think the lack of faith in the game concerns all of the aspects of its development we're aware of, not just this chick's boob plates. They're just the newest funniest thing to point and laugh at.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm just saying I hope the final boss has 1 HP, just one stab right in the chest

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mandrel posted:

Of course, Other M also didn't sell, which is good, though unfortunately that lovely gross game was made by Team Ninja

When you consider that somehow - by some loving miracle - literally everything that was wrong with that game is attributable to a single person that is not actually part of Team Ninja, that's not terribly fair!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have a feeling the next Metroid will be on 3DS and be really trimmed to the basics ala New Super Mario Bros. They'll probably call it New Super Metroid too.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

When you consider that somehow - by some loving miracle - literally everything that was wrong with that game is attributable to a single person that is not actually part of Team Ninja, that's not terribly fair!

I like to think of him as an enabler. Team Ninja came to him with models and art and and he cried in front of the team when the .mb file had big boobies.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

yesss finally a game for mature gamers on the Wii U

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you are the worst games poster

maxmandude
Apr 16, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

God forbid someone actually point out that the goons are going insane and making poo poo up over boobs.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Literally everything? Because you could remove all the weird sexism and that would still be a terrible game.

I'm pretty unconvinced about how that whole situation supposedly shook out. Team Ninja's track record of weird sexism and backwards gender attitudes stretches back through like their entire body of work. While I'm not one to jump to Nintendo's defense, I find it pretty hard to believe that Team Ninja played no part in any of the totally Team Ninja-y stuff going on in that game.

But in the interest of fairness, I guess I'm down with absolving Team Ninja of blame for Other M if Spark Interactive or whoever is absolved of blame for Yaiba

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I have a feeling the next Metroid will be on 3DS and be really trimmed to the basics ala New Super Mario Bros. They'll probably call it New Super Metroid too.

I'd almost be willing to put money on it

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

well fulchrum still posts in games so its gonna be hard to take the title from him.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

maxmandude posted:

God forbid someone actually point out that the goons are going insane and making poo poo up over boobs.
People get really invested in the sexual interest in fictional polygons on both sides, it's quite odd. the only position to take is don't get a boner for polygons.

I just want a cutscene where the final boss says "oh it's time to actually fight, let me get a suit of armor on at least. time out time out"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 23, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mandrel posted:

Literally everything? Because you could remove all the weird sexism and that would still be a terrible game.

I'm pretty unconvinced about how that whole situation supposedly shook out. Team Ninja's track record of weird sexism and backwards gender attitudes stretches back through like their entire body of work. While I'm not one to jump to Nintendo's defense, I find it pretty hard to believe that Team Ninja played no part in any of the totally Team Ninja-y stuff going on in that game.

But in the interest of fairness, I guess I'm down with absolving Team Ninja of blame for Other M if Spark Interactive or whoever is absolved of blame for Yaiba

Yes, even the terrible gameplay is Sakamoto's fault.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

People get ready invested in the sexual interest in fictional polygons on both sides, it's quite odd. the only position to take is don't get a boner for polygons.

The smartest position in all this nonsense is this:

Even if the artistry in Hyrule Warriors was sheer, insurmountable genius it would still be confined to a Dynasty Warriors game, and Dynasty Warrior games are always terrible.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mandrel posted:

I'd almost be willing to put money on it

yo I often see people pessimistically claim that nintendo is going to make a new entry in one of their franchises and call it "new zelda/metroid/star fox/whatever" but it still hasn't happened outside of nsmb. so like. what is that about. I don't get it

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

romanowski posted:

yo I often see people pessimistically claim that nintendo is going to make a new entry in one of their franchises and call it "new zelda/metroid/star fox/whatever" but it still hasn't happened outside of nsmb. so like. what is that about. I don't get it

I wouldn't put money on it actually being called New Metroid or whatever, but I would on it being a 2D side scrolling iteration

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

romanowski posted:

The only thing that makes ALBW not "New Legend of Zelda" is that it wasn't called New Legend of Zelda. Otherwise it's the same exact approach. Make really polished 'return to roots' game with inoffensive art style and nostalgia hooks. It's a good game but I bet the next Zelda for 3DS will have the same engine and look.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alteisen posted:

Right, graphics, I understand, again I don't understand what a character's design has to do with the games overall art style.
Character design and overall art style basically always go hand-in-hand, though? Like there are very few games with important characters that truly look like nothing else in them, and even then a dumb character design is still something people are going to point and laugh at.

maxmandude posted:

they were just going 'lol this is dumb'. No one was 'going insane'.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The only thing that makes ALBW not "New Legend of Zelda" is that it wasn't called New Legend of Zelda. Otherwise it's the same exact approach. Make really polished 'return to roots' game with inoffensive art style and nostalgia hooks. It's a good game but I bet the next Zelda for 3DS will have the same engine and look.

ALBW is also the first Zelda game I've enjoyed front to back since the N64, though, so whatever, that's probably a good thing.

E: Wait, there were a couple handheld Zelda titles I liked between then. The Oracle games are newer than Majora's Mask, anyway.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

King of Solomon posted:

When that one guy is given supreme authority and has to approve every aspect, its hardly a "loving miracle". The guy micromanaged the game, so the blame lies at his feet. If there was anything good in the design of Other M he'd get credit for that.

Mandrel posted:

I'm pretty unconvinced about how that whole situation supposedly shook out. Team Ninja's track record of weird sexism and backwards gender attitudes stretches back through like their entire body of work. While I'm not one to jump to Nintendo's defense, I find it pretty hard to believe that Team Ninja played no part in any of the totally Team Ninja-y stuff going on in the game.

But what Team Ninja-y stuff? Wheres the scene where Samus starts playing beach volleyball, or gets an upgrade that makes her boobs swell to the size of her head?

Team Ninja are horribly sexist, absolutely no question there. But sexism is not a binary thing, there are a lot of ways to be a sexist pig. Team Ninjas way is in exploiting the female form far beyond the point of caricature and making them objects for the male audience to gawk at and pose to fit a weird perversion.

Thats not the type of sexism that is in Metroid. Its not about the sexuality of Samus in any way, its about gender roles - where Samus had always subverted them, here she almost slavish kept to them, even nearly killing herself rather than not do what a man tells her, and breaks down in hysterics when faced with a scary opponent that she already beat 5 times. Say what you will about DOA, you would not see that happen in that series.

Its sort of like the difference between Penthouse and a 50's sitcom - "show me dem titties" vs. "Get back in the kitchen."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fulchrum posted:

When that one guy is given supreme authority and has to approve every aspect, its hardly a "loving miracle". The guy micromanaged the game, so the blame lies at his feet. If there was anything good in the design of Other M he'd get credit for that.

Even with an extremely micromanaged project you'd think there would be something - anything - that could be blamed on Team Ninja.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
With so many refurb deals for $200, they might as well just drop the price of the system.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-009-nintendo-wii-u-32gb-black-deluxe-set-0

Now Groupon has a deal for it. I have to imagine these are being fulfilled directly from Nintendo, which means they are even taking less of a cut because of Groupon. With no sales tax, free shipping, and that potential cash back deal with a Shop Discover, this is the cheapest it's been yet

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 23, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

King of Solomon posted:

Even with an extremely micromanaged project you'd think there would be something - anything - that could be blamed on Team Ninja.

The incompetence of the betrayal subplot, but thats hardly the thing people are referring to when talking about the games problems.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

King of Solomon posted:

Who's responsible for the horrible soundtrack(established Metroid themes not included)?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Who's responsible for the horrible soundtrack(established Metroid themes not included)?

Some guy named Kuniaki Haishimi, apparently. Doesn't look like he has any kind of direct relationship with team ninja.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

That's great and all, but you're bitching about people discussing things on a discussion forum.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

romanowski posted:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

was this game as bad as it looks?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

was this game as bad as it looks?

Worse, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85AB1p6wpaY

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
This one's pretty bad too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsphCdhmt7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fulchrum posted:

The incompetence of the betrayal subplot, but thats hardly the thing people are referring to when talking about the games problems.

The fact that they allowed the translation to call the person The Deleter will always weigh heavily though.

• Locked thread