Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Speaking of apple monitors.. whats the refresh rate on retina mbp screens? its probably only 30hz right? i feel like videos have slight judder to them compared to my 60hz screens. Not as noticeable as i woudl think, considering how much of a poo poo fit people are throwing over "slow" 4k monitors.

It's definitely not 30Hz, that is low enoguh to be readily noticeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh great and powerful Monitor/Display Megathread, I need advice.

I need a new monitor 23-ish inches for under $200. I'll use it for gaming. What would you recommend?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I got an ASUS VN248H-P a few months back and I'm pretty darn happy with it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah at 23-24" you can't go wrong with those budget $120-140 asus monitors

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
A Dell U2312HM, which can be found on sale for $180-190 very often, is the <$200 monitor I'd recommend for basically everyone regardless of what it's used for.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Thirding that Asus monitor recommendation. I have a slightly different model (VS247H-P), but it's absolutely fantastic.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

redstormpopcorn posted:

I got an ASUS VN248H-P a few months back and I'm pretty darn happy with it.

I searched for it on amazon and it has like 4 models?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ASUS%20VN248H-P
Can anyone tell me the difference between these, is 23.6 or 24 inches better?

and I can't remember if monitors are the kinds of things that go on sale often or if I should just "3 2 1 gently caress it" and 2 day ship it to myself

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Those things are literally always on sale on one site or another. Just hang tight for a bit. Check slickdeals.net daily

This is the one I got off newegg for $130 on sale a while ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 20, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
How good are those ASUS monitors in portrait? I'm plotting to set up an absolutely excessive computer system that will no doubt anger my wife, and I'd like to do a central 27-30" flanked by two 24" in portrait.

You know, for "workflow optimization" I do no actual work on my computer

Tudd Fudders
Aug 11, 2009
My Korean 27inch 2560x1440 Auria just died..... I don't know if I can handle this loss.

But in other news I'm rich like a gold digger and ready to move on like one. What should I get to keep the same resolution, looks better, maybe 120hz, and isnt going to die on me?

Budget is under $800.

I just noticed this, anything wrong with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Tempest-X270O...120hz+2560x1440

Tudd Fudders fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 20, 2014

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
At 23", the Dell U2312HM has the advantage simply because it has a better stand than all the ASUS models within a similar price range.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Tudd Fudders posted:

My Korean 27inch 2560x1440 Auria just died..... I don't know if I can handle this loss.

But in other news I'm rich like a gold digger and ready to move on like one. What should I get to keep the same resolution, looks better, maybe 120hz, and isnt going to die on me?

Budget is under $800.
You could always get one of the X-Star/Qnix Korean 1440p's to replace your dead one and overclock it to ~120Hz for ~$350. Might not last forever, but you can get two of 'em for under $800. Short of that, though, you're not really going to find any 120Hz 27" monitors that "look better" (since they'd be TN).

Tudd Fudders
Aug 11, 2009

DrDork posted:

You could always get one of the X-Star/Qnix Korean 1440p's to replace your dead one and overclock it to ~120Hz for ~$350. Might not last forever, but you can get two of 'em for under $800. Short of that, though, you're not really going to find any 120Hz 27" monitors that "look better" (since they'd be TN).

If 120hz was not necessary, because I don't even know if I will like it (I do have a 780ti), would just getting a dell ultrasharp or Asus make me happier being in warranty?

Tudd Fudders fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 21, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Tudd Fudders posted:

If 120hz was necessary, because I don't even know if I will like it (I do have a 780ti), would just getting a dell ultrasharp or Asus make me happier being in warranty?
Not sure I understand your question. How do I know what makes you happy?

You won't get 120Hz out of any Dell or ASUS--only out of the Qnix/X-Star's right now. Obviously Dell and ASUS are going to have better warranty support than your random eBay Korean seller. Actual image quality should be comparable between the lot of them, though, since they use the same panels and no one has really done much interesting with the backlight. Note that the 27" Dell will have non-PWM backlight adjustments, while the others use PWM, so that's a point in Dell's favor if you know you're sensitive to it.

Tudd Fudders
Aug 11, 2009

DrDork posted:

Not sure I understand your question. How do I know what makes you happy?

You won't get 120Hz out of any Dell or ASUS--only out of the Qnix/X-Star's right now. Obviously Dell and ASUS are going to have better warranty support than your random eBay Korean seller. Actual image quality should be comparable between the lot of them, though, since they use the same panels and no one has really done much interesting with the backlight. Note that the 27" Dell will have non-PWM backlight adjustments, while the others use PWM, so that's a point in Dell's favor if you know you're sensitive to it.

I ment to say not necessary* my bad!

Probably end up going with the asus and seeing how it is. I rather be able to go instore and pick it up. I had my fun with Korean monitors.

Tudd Fudders fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 21, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

24" ASUS VG248QE 144Hz 1ms LED 3D Monitor $243 + Free Shipping

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/120828/newegg---24-asus-vg248qe-144hz-1ms-led-3d-monitor?page=2#comments

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm looking for a dual monitor stand for a pair of 24" displays like this:

That one would work nicely but just wanted to see if I missed any options.

The bit caveat is that it needs to have sliding mounts, not pivoting to reduce the depth because the desk its going on its right up against a wall and I want to maximize space. Basically pivoting arms are out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://slickdeals.net/f/6946408-24-dell-u2414h-ultrasharp-1920x1080-ips-led-monitor-w-3-year-warranty-200-free-shipping

Dell UltraSharp 24" Monitor U2414H with 3 years warranty $200 at Dell.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That's an amazing deal. Even Amazon still has it up for $300.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hope you guys don't mind me posting deals. I just check slickdeals daily as I love me some good deals and figure I may help a goon out reposting poo poo here.

Maybe amazon will price match it?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Christoff posted:

Hope you guys don't mind me posting deals. I just check slickdeals daily as I love me some good deals and figure I may help a goon out reposting poo poo here.

I doubt amazon will price match, it works by using a deal where you get $150 off the monitor for buying a $150 tablet. There's more to it, but I don't think it is the monitor explicitly that the deal applies to.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jesus. I don't even need a new monitor, but if that deal was in the UK, I'd buy one.

Edit: Ah, it's only 1920×1080. Still, that's a drat nice looking monitor, and worth that money easily (even if you need to abuse the website to get it, which will no doubt be removed in moments).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 22, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Christoff posted:

I'd love it if they did, but they won't, since it's basically abusing Dell's cart system to get a discount where you're not really supposed to be able to get one--so there's no way to point Amazon at it and go "match this!"

In any event, it seems the deal is dead; looks like it lasted for <5 hours, so either they had very limited stock, or someone noticed that people were getting a bit too good of a deal and nixed it. Either way, it's a shame I missed it :(

And now there are people in the SD threat bitching because Dell is telling them it'll take 2 weeks to deliver--shut up, bitches, you're already saving ~$100 off the monitor and most of you bought more than one. :commissar:

e; if it makes people feel better, the Dell Outlet has U2414H refurbs for $198 after coupon (74H9FB404DSDS$). Sure, they only come with a 90d warranty instead of a 3 year one, but most Dell Outlet items are basically indistinguishable from new, and 90d is more than long enough to check for dead pixels, backlight bleed, etc.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 22, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

Edit: Ah, it's only 1920×1080. Still, that's a drat nice looking monitor, and worth that money easily (even if you need to abuse the website to get it, which will no doubt be removed in moments).

You know the old thread tagline: If you get a 1920x1080 monitor then you are subhuman :downsrim:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
The deal still seems to work... I was about to buy it just now to resell until I searched around and it's basically a $250-$260 monitor new. So combined with tax I have to pay, shipping I'll likely have to pay, and the price to stay competitive private sale it's probably not worth anything to me.

However it should be good to go for anyone who actually wants one (?)

edit eh screw it ill get one, the most likely bad case scenario is ill break even. Hopefully I can offload it on craigslist

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 22, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Think I can buy two using that deal with the same order or separate? What's least likely to get my order cancelled if/when they figure it out

edit: nevermind they've removed the ability to even add the monitor to your cart :laffo:

mbt fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 22, 2014

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Think I can buy two using that deal with the same order or separate? What's least likely to get my order cancelled if/when they figure it out

edit: nevermind they've removed the ability to even add the monitor to your cart :laffo:

Yeah they seem to have shut it down pretty quickly. I do like the "call for pricing" that they put in place of the order button, it's a nice touch.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Acer has announced the first g-sync 4k monitor. 99% sure it's a TN panel and no word on price yet.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

El Scotch posted:

Acer has announced the first g-sync 4k monitor. 99% sure it's a TN panel and no word on price yet.

Ugh, why TN?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Tab8715 posted:

Ugh, why TN?

Because for no real reason, I imagine their market research shows people who are interested in G-Sync are ~EXTREME G4M3R5~ who want 120/144Hz monitors, despite G-Sync being most useful when the frame rate dips below 60.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see it was 3840×2160, of course that won't be running at 120Hz. In that case, this is just a poo poo product for no reason

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 23, 2014

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

El Scotch posted:

Yeah, 170 degree viewing angles according to their press release. That seems to be the figure they use when selling TN panels.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

KingEup posted:

Yeah, 170 degree viewing angles according to their press release. That seems to be the figure they use when selling TN panels.

That and ONE BILLION MILLION : 1 contrast ratio are a dead giveaway. Others are "2ms response" and "95% sRGB" or lower color gamut.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sadly no interfaces can handle 120hz 4k until DP 1.3 is released.

Not like 99.9% people will be at risk of hitting 120fps on a 4k monitor any time soon anyway.

Still, if anything is a practical use of g-sync it's 4k. I don't know where the 1440p g-sync are hiding. The only one that's been announced is the $800 Asus TN jobber.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Because for no real reason, I imagine their market research shows people who are interested in G-Sync are ~EXTREME G4M3R5~ who want 120/144Hz monitors, despite G-Sync being most useful when the frame rate dips below 60.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see it was 3840×2160, of course that won't be running at 120Hz. In that case, this is just a poo poo product for no reason
Isn't TN cheaper to manufacture than IPS?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't TN cheaper to manufacture than IPS?
It is, but at 28" you're going to have inevitable color shift and other visual wonkery with TN's that you wouldn't with an IPS. If you're already making an expensive display, the bump from TN to IPS these days isn't that much.

Others are right: this'll be labeled for and sold to L337 G4M3RZ who just want a giant, fast, lovely screen. And you can totally push 100ish FPS on a lot of games with semi-reasonable setup (2x 290's or 780's), which is under $1k for GPUs. Even easier if you turn down all the graphics settings.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I really wish there were industry standards for this poo poo. It's not just that the market is flooded with these lovely panels but that people think they're good too.

"Hey bro, check out how my new TV/LCD makes this movie/game/image look sooooo much better than the original author intended! The specs are over 9000!"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I really wish there were industry standards for this poo poo. It's not just that the market is flooded with these lovely panels but that people think they're good too.
What do you mean? There are standards like sRGB, NTSC, etc. for color reproduction. It's just that for a long time getting a monitor that could actually display a good image was really expensive, to the point where most people didn't bother. Now that you can get "cheap" IPS displays in the 22-24" segment, I think we'll rapidly see more and more people demand similarly looking technology and let TN's fall into the really cheap and the 120/144Hz gamer niches.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DrDork posted:

let TN's fall into the really cheap and the 120/144Hz gamer niches.

I guess this bugs me too. Gamer's need not be the bottom feeders of displays either. Especially with the increasing production costs of games and game studios getting their poo poo together with respect to art and color consistency.

Related but not really personal anecdote:

I heard from a friend who works for a big game studio *cough* COD franchise *cough*. They got a 'shipment' of HP Dreamcolor monitors a while back and he and others are now complaining they are way too magenta cast. I asked him if they had ever been hardware calibrated per HP's recommended use. Nope. Nobody at the studio either knows what color management is or gives a poo poo to ask for it. They do, however, know how to buy the stuff that costs the most when you sort by price online.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I guess this bugs me too. Gamer's need not be the bottom feeders of displays either. Especially with the increasing production costs of games and game studios getting their poo poo together with respect to art and color consistency.
They're not "bottom feeders" but the simple reality of the display technologies available right now mean you either get great, accurate colors and viewing angles, or you get 120/144Hz refresh rates (with the very occasional very expensive cross-over, like that VA panel Eizo put out). Hopefully at some point they'll figure out how to reliably do 120Hz on IPS-type displays and then everyone can have the best of all worlds, but until then, that's the tradeoff.

It does not surprise me at all that the COD people don't know a damned thing about color calibration. That said, it's not like anyone color calibrates their TV, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

El Scotch posted:

Since its 28" and Acer, its probably using the exact same panel as the Samsung U28D590 without any adjustments. It is a really bad monitor compared to any 2560x1440 on the market. The 4K resolution isn't really an advantage since the anti-glare coating is quite noticeable and the colour space coverage out of the box is 86% sRGB.

I guess that's the only reason I'm interested in the Asus ROG Swift. Asus also claims to be doing a lot to improve its image quality but that remains to be seen. It is definitely possible to minimise LCD tech problems: Apple's TN panels have better viewing angles thanks to some sort of film and the panel in Eizo's TOTL 24" doesn't glow like most IPS panels.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 24, 2014