Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
I gotta say i wish i didn't have to wade through scripted setpieces and stupid poo poo like shimmying along a wall with no real control of the gameplay just to get to the good parts. Just put me in a level with lots of mans to shoot nonstop like the old days.

Don't get me wrong, i still love the game. But it would feel more replayable if i didn't have to jump through all the hoops. Say what you will of Doom 3 but atleast it's pacing was consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

This game makes me want to see this studio's take on Quake one and two. Not done with it yet but yeah this is fun as hell.

E: PAnick would probably have a field day if this were to happen.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 23, 2014

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Regarding the ending and possible sequel: With B.J's fate being sorta ambigious as it were. Killing our main man off wouldn't seem right unless you play as his son in an 80's version of space nazis and spend the whole ride loving their poo poo up on the moon. The spacewalk was fun and made me think it would be awesome if there were battles where you could use the low gravity to add some verticality to the combat. The lunar base was easily my favourite level of the game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Triggsz posted:

Regarding the ending and possible sequel: With B.J's fate being sorta ambigious as it were. Killing our main man off wouldn't seem right unless you play as his son in an 80's version of space nazis and spend the whole ride loving their poo poo up on the moon. The spacewalk was fun and made me think it would be awesome if there were battles where you could use the low gravity to add some verticality to the combat. The lunar base was easily my favourite level of the game.

I was also hoping for this, especially when I discovered that the low gravity of the moon allows you to propel yourself with explosions without dying, rocket-jumping on the moon would've been amazing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hey PAnick. Can you let the devs know on Return to London Nautica, the bit where you walljump into the building? There's an assault rifle and some armor right as you enter to help you clear the room of shotgun heavies/uber soldats. If you die at all though, when you respawn the assault rifle/armor don't respawn as well. So you are forced to take on a whole bunch of heavies with the pistol/marksman/LKR.

I barely did it on Normal after 3 tries. I can't imagine it's possible on Uber. Since I figure it's a bug, might as well pass it on.

Ended up enjoying the game more then I thought I would, but less then I should have I imagine. I loved the gunplay and the characters, but felt they were undersold by the story itself. The two main antagonists appear maybe 30 minutes combined over the course of the game, and lose out on time that should have been spent fleshing them out. The Resistance guys get a bit more background, but even they come and go pretty quickly. For how well written they all are, it seems a massive waste to just throw away characters like they do.

The core plot the game buckles down on is never really explored and answered. BJ spends the entire game trying to figure out how to reconcile his existence in a Nazi run world. And in the end, that reconciliation is a revenge suicide? That fits, I don't mind it, I'm more annoyed that they leave plot threads unresolved. What happens next? What happens to the world without BJ, what happens to the Resistance, etc. I'm left wanting more answers, and they don't have any to give, which leaves me annoyed at the end of the game. Would it have killed them to include a radio broadcaster over the credits talking about how the destruction of the Monitor/nuking of Deathhead's Compound has caused worldwide rebellion across England/America/Poland/Africa? How power armor, and new weapons are suddenly coming to light thanks to the Set unlocking more caches? How the Nazis are suddenly on the defensive?

I get the writing technique. If everything is about your character, then as they die, what happens next doesn't quite matter as much as the death itself. But New Order wasn't all about BJ, it was about the Nazis/Resistance/Deathshead as well.

I'd be less annoyed if I knew a DLC/Expansion/Sequel was coming, but who knows how well it's going to sell, and who knows how reliable Bethesda is. They funded Dishonored 2, but RAGE 2 isn't happening anytime soon.

It was just the little things outside of that as well. The timeline difference barely matters, and they probably could have written a stronger narrative by just forcing the obvious canon timeline and putting those resources into building it up. For a Wolfenstein game, the guns don't get crazy enough, which was the one thing Return/09 focused on. The perks are nice, but some are overly grindy ( grenades/kill 80 guys with an assault rifle ), or super easy ( everything else ). There's also some really strange mixes, like bigger AR clips being attached to cover kills, when that's something that only really benefits dual wielding. And I felt like exposition/cinematic development came before shooting hordes of Nazis a few to many times.

With all that said, I did really enjoy it. Highly recommend it for anybody looking for a good oldschool shooter, it's everything RAGE should have been.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

With all that said, I did really enjoy it. Highly recommend it for anybody looking for a good oldschool shooter, it's everything RAGE should have been.
I'm reading this thread looking for general reviews, and this is really selling me on it. I liked RAGE well enough, so this could be excellent. Of course, I got RAGE for something like $15, so...

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Rookersh posted:

I barely did it on Normal after 3 tries. I can't imagine it's possible on Uber. Since I figure it's a bug, might as well pass it on.

I had the same issue on Uber and the only way I was able to proceed was immediately headshotting the commander around the corner before he could spawn reinforcements, which meant it was only air force grunts and a heavy shotgunner guy. Definitely a pain in the rear end to not have the armor and assault rifle, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FWIW, the silenced pistol is a goddamned sniping machine. I've chained across-the-room headshots with that thing to murder Commanders in no time, allowing me to whip out two machine guns and jump in on the rest with reckless abandon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like charging commandos and spraying them with akimbo silenced handguns myself.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
What the hell is the deal with the PC version? I just started playing and it kinda runs like poo poo. I've got an i5 3570k/16gb ram/r9 290 machine and a 120gb SSD that I've got it installed on and it's a stuttery mess along with the frame rate being pretty unstable. Is there a fix? Are there any problematic settings that cause issues?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Don't force AA, the game doesn't work with that.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I don't have AA forced, it's mostly a stuttering issue. Considering I have 16gb of ram, my video card has 4gb of gddr5 and it's installed on an SSD, I'm not sure why stuttering is an issue.

Edit: looks like it's the texture paging per frame setting, had to bump it down to 16.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 23, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You own an AMD card and you're playing a brand new OpenGL card. Make sure you have the beta drivers and expect it to improve a lot next major driver version.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
I just got the game and it crashes constantly for me on a GTX 680. Tried three different drivers, including 337.81, the beta Wolfenstein drivers. Every other game is fine :argh:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

El_Molestadore posted:

I just got the game and it crashes constantly for me on a GTX 680. Tried three different drivers, including 337.81, the beta Wolfenstein drivers. Every other game is fine :argh:

Are you forcing anything in Nvidia settings? I have triple-buffering and vsync on, but nothing else beyond that.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

poptart_fairy posted:

FWIW, the silenced pistol is a goddamned sniping machine. I've chained across-the-room headshots with that thing to murder Commanders in no time, allowing me to whip out two machine guns and jump in on the rest with reckless abandon.

The throwing knives are a 1 hit kill on non heavily armored enemies on Normal which made for some hilarious gimmick play. Strangely if the knives hit they just destroy that body part like it was hit with shrapnel. My friend and I made a game of trying to hit bank shots in the lunar base by throwing knives through all the weird walls and gratings.

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
I just got the game and I'm having this crazy issue where it locks up my keyboard every 60 seconds or so. I can navigate the main menu but just after I start playing the game the keyboard freezes up to the point where Caps Lock/Num Lock/Scroll Lock won't even toggle on and off anymore. Ctrl-Alt-Del is the only thing the keyboard can do that works. Using that to bring up the task manager then alt-tabbing back into the game gets the keyboard working for another 60 seconds until it locks up again. I tried a dozen other Steam games and none of them are having this issue.

I rebooted and verified the game files and that didn't help.
I switched from a wireless Logitech keyboard to a wired Dell keyboard and that didn't help.
I disabled the Steam Overlay in the game and that didn't help.
I disabled any Steam beta participation since I saw that had caused an issue for some games but that didn't help.
I went into the Device Manager and disabled allowing Windows to turn off USB devices to save power and that didn't help.

I played for about 10 minutes before I got fed up with trying to get the keyboard working. Anyone have any ideas?

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Dominic White posted:

Are you forcing anything in Nvidia settings? I have triple-buffering and vsync on, but nothing else beyond that.

Adaptive v-sync. Have you got that on? If not I'll fiddle with it tonight :)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

This game is surprisingly well written so far, I never would have guessed that's one of the things I'd like about it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Triggsz posted:

So the adventures of Buckaro Blaskowicz as he fights Space Nazi evil from the 8th dimension/8th planet? (NAZIS FROM NEPTUNE!) Would Alternate history Michael Jackson be fighting the war with us or would there be delayed hippie movements be happening around the 1970s-80s?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I'm a little stuck and damned if I'm going to turn difficulty down. I think I'm pretty far through so spoilers:

I've just got back from the moon haha what the gently caress swung down the cable, into a window, landed on a nazi, now I'm stuck in a corner with a pistol, the laserkraftwerk and DMR and I just can't break out because the room starts immediately alerted and there's so many drat nazis.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

I want to high-five whoever came up with the cover/lean mechanic. It just works so well.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pound_Coin posted:

I'm a little stuck and damned if I'm going to turn difficulty down. I think I'm pretty far through so spoilers:

I've just got back from the moon haha what the gently caress swung down the cable, into a window, landed on a nazi, now I'm stuck in a corner with a pistol, the laserkraftwerk and DMR and I just can't break out because the room starts immediately alerted and there's so many drat nazis.

I think there's a bug in that scene. On your first try, you start with an assault rifle (and rocket launcher) at your feet. If you die, it doesn't seem to be there. Use the Chapters menu to replay it from the start - it'll only take you about 30 seconds to get back there if you skip cutscenes, and you can clear out the worst of the baddies with some big explosions.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I noticed there are a few armor pick ups in the game for 180. Is there a way to supercharge your armor other than AUTOPANZER or are these pickups just bugged?

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Geight posted:

EIN
DREI
ZWEI

This is actually the only German error I noticed in the game.
It's "Eins" not "Ein". "Ein" means "a".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

eliotlucas posted:

I want to high-five whoever came up with the cover/lean mechanic. It just works so well.

Hands up who else leans in time with BJ. :downs:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

eliotlucas posted:

Having those arrows indicating when you can pop out of cover is the biggest loving revelation. It's going to ruin my ability to enjoy any other FPS that does that mechanic (so literally all of them nowadays).

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Crabtree posted:

So the adventures of Buckaro Blaskowicz as he fights Space Nazi evil from the 8th dimension/8th planet? (NAZIS FROM NEPTUNE!) Would Alternate history Michael Jackson be fighting the war with us or would there be delayed hippie movements be happening around the 1970s-80s?

Neumond recordings presents: Reißer

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

poptart_fairy posted:

Hands up who else leans in time with BJ. :downs:

Been doing this since RTCW.

I actually miss the Q/E keys being dedicated leans. You can tell the lean system (as well as the crouch slide) was intended for a console. Trying to WASD and hit control-shift at the same time was a royal pain in the rear end. But the actual lean system was so well done that I got used to it fairly quickly. Should have mapped one of my mouse buttons to Lean.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I actually miss the Q/E keys being dedicated leans. You can tell the lean system (as well as the crouch slide) was intended for a console. Trying to WASD and hit control-shift at the same time was a royal pain in the rear end. But the actual lean system was so well done that I got used to it fairly quickly. Should have mapped one of my mouse buttons to Lean.

Yeah leaning was mandatory in RTCW or else you'd get hosed up by elite/black guards. That game required precision and stealth. Getting your armor whittled down by footsoldiers would make life hard when a real thrat showed up. With the sten you could clear an entire room without even trading bullets.

I'm used to the Half-Life standard control scheme so E is for opening doors and stuff. I used Z and X for leaning in games that allowed it.

In TNO i bound lean to mouse4 with Alt as a secondary. It works pretty well.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

I have it bound to a thumb key on my mouse, but find myself rarely actually using it, since the context arrows for "you can pop out here" kinda remove the need for a manual leaning system.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I actually didn't have any trouble with the slide keys, but I'm also a doof who has shift as crouch and ctrl as sprint in most games.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I got a new game that was only 2gb and now feel ripped off even before I play it after I downloaded this monster. 40.7gb compressed? :stare:

Sorry, I had an 8088 with 2x 360k 5.25's when I was 12. :smith: :corsair:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

kefkafloyd posted:

This is what sprint toggle is for

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Dominic White posted:

I think there's a bug in that scene. On your first try, you start with an assault rifle (and rocket launcher) at your feet. If you die, it doesn't seem to be there. Use the Chapters menu to replay it from the start - it'll only take you about 30 seconds to get back there if you skip cutscenes, and you can clear out the worst of the baddies with some big explosions.

Yeah that was it, I restarted from the chapter menu, there was an assault rifle right there and I used the under-slung RL to poo poo up all all the nazi's days. :sun:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

End of Chapter 1:

Okay, so I unlock the door and NO MATTER what I can't jump out the window. I've tried getting a running start with sprint, jump up and down, crawl, wtf? How do I jump out of this loving window????

Game is awesome other than what the gently caress the above bullshit is.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Well, now I know the Nazis are evil. I got to London and they've metricated us! And made us drive on the wrong side of the road!:britain:

Seriously, nice touch.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Reign Of Pain posted:

I got a new game that was only 2gb and now feel ripped off even before I play it after I downloaded this monster. 40.7gb compressed? :stare:

Was it Tropico? I had the exact same feeling just now.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 24, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/wolfenstein-the-new-order-review/

PCGUK loved the game. No spoilers you wouldn't get from watching trailers, but still!

Prenton posted:

Well, now I know the Nazis are evil. I got to London and they've metricated us! And made us drive on the wrong side of the road!:britain:

Seriously, nice touch.

Yeah, the world building is really something else. You can tell the level designers were absolutely loving their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Was it Tropico? I had the exact same feeing just now.

Yes it was.

Maybe there is something I'm not understanding....I'm showing my Wolfenstein directory at 43.6gb. It downloaded 46.7(I think). Weren't those files compressed? Why isn't it taking up more space now that it's installed?

• Locked thread