Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
An "American Ronin" LOL what a complete and total turd. I mean yes his views do suggest an obsession with militant, feudalistic society but come on.

No you don't get it, Ronin were samurai who were just so misunderstood and full of virtuous bootstraps that they couldn't stand to serve anyone because ARE FREEDOMS. Just like the Spartans MOLON LABE demoncraps!
VVVV

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What cracks me up is that a ronin was a shameful and undesirable thing to be. Now had West actually been dishonorably discharged and stripped of his benefits for war crimes, sure, run with it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Fried Chicken posted:

Illinois Senate passed the ERA yesterday, it now goes to the House. Given that the house ratified it in 2003 and George Ryan spiked it, it probably has a good shot. That would put it at 36 if the 38 states needed to ratify.

Of course Congress slapped a deadline of June 30th 1982 on the original ratification push, so if they get the other 2 states (and Virginia looks likely) it will be an interesting constitutional question. Same with 5 of the states rescinding their ratification.

I went to look up the ERA to see what in particular is controversial about it.

This is the full text:

quote:

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

So. I'm still confused. I thought that even most republicans would agree that women and men deserve to be treated equally under the law. What's the deal?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Amused to Death posted:

Anyone have a roll call of the failed vote to repeal the AUMF?

Doesn't look like it is up yet, but should be posted here http://rules.house.gov/bill/113/hr-4435

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

This is the full text:

So. I'm still confused. I thought that even most republicans would agree that women and men deserve to be treated equally under the law. What's the deal?

Unisex bathrooms man.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jimbozig posted:

This is the full text:

Honestly it was defeated before I was born so I don't know the talking points. But consider that the son of the person who led the charge to kill it now runs Conservapedia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phyllis loving Schflay.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jimbozig posted:

This is the full text:

There isn't a single philosophical opposition but the arguments against have been a collection of alleged "unintended consequences" such as mandatory unisex bathrooms, women required to be in combat, no single sex institutions like the Boy and Girl Scouts or colleges, full government funding of abortion, abolition of alimony, mandatory gender quotas in all professions, etc.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jimbozig posted:

The loudest, most annoying republicans are against it because women belong making babies and doing house poo poo. :freep:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

mdemone posted:

What a useful parallel you've drawn between a theoretical left-wing construct and a political party that controls a legislative house of the most powerful empire in history.

Perhaps the latter see their party as one?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

This is the full text:

They probably saw that approach as coercive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder why Julian Castro is getting all this ink and his twin brother Joaquin, a Texas Congressman, is getting zero ink. You'd think the D's would try to be promoting both of them just as hard.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I wonder why Julian Castro is getting all this ink and his twin brother Joaquin, a Texas Congressman, is getting zero ink. You'd think the D's would try to be promoting both of them just as hard.

You always want to keep one in mint condition in the box in case you break the other one.

tbp posted:

Perhaps the latter see their party as one?

Now there's a thought that's gonna fester.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

I couldn't find any pictures of his katana but I read an article mentioning that he has at least one on the wall of his office.

What the ever-loving gently caress? Who makes something like this and thinks: "Yes, this is a thing I want people to associate with me."

The only person who would stand by this would be someone incapable of any sort of tact, humility or common sense.

God dammit. I can't describe how much I'm in awe of this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ChaosSamusX posted:

Someone incapable of any sort of tact, humility or common sense.

Ah, I see you are familiar with former Congressman Alan West.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ChaosSamusX posted:

The only person who would stand by this would be someone incapable of any sort of tact, humility or common sense.

He brags about committing a war crime. The ship of tact has sailed.

E:f,b

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hmm Cruz has been the quiet side recently, what's he up to?

Ted Cruz posted:

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said Thursday that Democrats are making moves to repeal First Amendment rights to free speech and religious liberty.

Cruz was speaking to pastors at a Family Research Council conference when he warned that Democrats were moving to quash political speech and "muzzle" pastors and their communities, according to video of a portion of Cruz's speech posted online by Right Wing Watch.

“I'm telling you, I'm not making this up," he said as the audience offscreen gasped. "Sen. Chuck Schumer [D-N.Y.] has announced the Senate Democrats are scheduling a vote on a constitutional amendment to give Congress the plenary power, the unlimited authority to regulate political speech. Because elected officials have decided they don’t like it when the citizenry has the temerity to criticize what they’ve done."

Cruz was referring to a proposed constitutional amendment from Sen. Tom Udall (D-NM) that would reverse recent Supreme Court rulings invalidating campaign finance limits, including Citizens United and McCutcheon. Schumer said the Senate would vote this year on the constitutional amendment, which seeks to capitalize on the unpopularity of the Citizens United decision in an election year.

The text of the amendment gives Congress the "power to regulate the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect to Federal elections." Cruz said that 41 Democrats signed on to what he characterized as an all-out effort to "repeal the First Amendment."

"It explicitly says, 'nothing in this new amendment shall abridge the freedom of the press.' So the New York Times is protected, but it doesn't say the same thing about the freedom of speech, it doesn't say the same thing about religious liberty," he said. "What it says is that politicians in Washington have unlimited constitutional authority to muzzle each and every one of you if you're saying things that government finds inconvenient."

A speech writer and senior aide to Cruz, Amanda Carpenter, sent out a series of tweets Friday that claimed Democrats want to "repeal" the First Amendment "as written:"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-cruz-democrats-repeal-first-amendment

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Allen West would have fit in really well with COBRA Command.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

This is disingenuous beyond belief, even for the Right. Jesus loving christ

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If words aren't going to mean things anymore then free speech is kind of irrelevant, so he can go ahead and make the world over into a Dr. Seuss book after all, I guess.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Ted Cruz: buying elections counts as religious liberty.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ted Cruz: buying elections counts as religious liberty.

If the Koch brothers weren't right God wouldn't of made them rich.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

He's 100% correct.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Full text from http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-joint-resolution/19/text?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22udall%2C+tom%22%5D%7D

quote:

Section 1. To advance the fundamental principle of political equality for all, and to protect the integrity of the legislative and electoral processes, Congress shall have power to regulate the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect to Federal elections, including through setting limits on:
(1) the amount of contributions to candidates for nomination for election to, or for election to, Federal office;
and
(2) the amount of funds that may be spent by, in support of, or in opposition to such candidates.
Section 2. To advance the fundamental principle of political equality for all, and to protect the integrity of the legislative and electoral processes, each State shall have power to regulate the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect to State elections, including through setting limits on:
(1) the amount of contributions to candidates for nomination for election to, or for election to, State office;
and
(2) the amount of funds that may be spent by, in support of, or in opposition to such candidates.
Section 3. Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant Congress the power to abridge the freedom of the press.
Section 4. Congress and the States shall have power to implement and enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Tax-exempt religious institutions already aren't supposed to be fundraising for candidates, right?

as an aside, if your content management system can't accept real quotes in TYOOL 2014, you should set your unix beard on fire and jump in a barrel full of gasoline god drat

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 23, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

He's 100% correct.

He's 100% wrong. There, now that we've both made assertions, since you went first I think your justification should go first. It's only proper.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The very idea that Congress should have the authority to create campaign finance laws * is an assault on the first amendment :freep:

*which they probably won't exercise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEAQskbANk

'Money is our God, all things must be quantifiable. I am being paid to tell you this. Trust no one. Vote for me.'

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

mdemone posted:

He's 100% wrong. There, now that we've both made assertions, since you went first I think your justification should go first. It's only proper.

Restricting "spending in support of or opposition to candidates" means that I can't so much as buy a political lawn sign without Congress' permission. hth

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Usually campaigns give away yard signs? I did that when I canvassed?

We should have more open elections - like the Tokyo governor where 10 candidates get equal TV spots. With things like youtube you can have pools of 100 or so people given equal billing that get whittled down by voting, until there are 4 that go on the paper ballot in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr9_uLlH3yk

Not that Congress will do this if given restored power over campaign spending - they will just put limits on individual donations - but there will still be lots of nice loopholes.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Restricting "spending in support of or opposition to candidates" means that I can't so much as buy a political lawn sign without Congress' permission. hth

So?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Even if that were an accurate reading of the bill, you need to elaborate on why that's a bad thing.

My justification, as promised:

Speech is fundamentally a relationship between humans (and is perhaps the quintessential example of the category). Money is the sine qua non symbol of the reification of relations-between-people into relations-between-things, ergo money is the antithesis of speech, no matter what sheltered, quasi-fascist bigots like John Roberts and Antonin Scalia think. Hope that helps.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

So some of my rightwing friends are going absolutely batshit over this white privelege conference "controversy", but everything I've heard/read that was said at this conference so far is entirely valid and reasonable (racism still exists, white people are priveleged, there is a cultural bias favoring Christianity, etc). It's just hilarious how conservatives are losing their poo poo over this, like it's some sort of proof that liberals are the REAL crazy ones. Sorry guys, they're just kinda stating the obvious.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/20/w...-people-videos/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Man I took a kid to a therapy appointment a couple of weeks ago and the agency had little posters, self-reflective quotes and graphs about white privilege stuck up on every door in the building. If I had snapped a couple of pictures I could have personally shaped the narrative of Fox News for a week.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
The only way to achieve equality in electoral speech is for much more open ballot access and public financing of elections I hope this helps.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

There's like only one company that makes all political signs anyway. Maybe this will free the market?

Open markets lead to open minds.

Also, this should pass and Ted Cruz should still eat Jim Crow.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Why is he wearing two watches?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lester Shy posted:

Why is he wearing two watches?
One's to remind him that it's I-committed-a-war-crime-o'clock. The other is to tell the time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
two stopped clocks are right four times a day

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
One of them looks like a medic alert bracelet or something, to me.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

I couldn't find any pictures of his katana but I read an article mentioning that he has at least one on the wall of his office.

Wrapped in the flag. Today, whenever the motherfuckers surface, they come wrapped in the flag always.
God can you imagine a someone's private library, just completely full of this poo poo that they get as gifts. Vast right wing book club/e-mail addy farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

mdemone posted:

Even if that were an accurate reading of the bill, you need to elaborate on why that's a bad thing.

My justification, as promised:

Speech is fundamentally a relationship between humans (and is perhaps the quintessential example of the category). Money is the sine qua non symbol of the reification of relations-between-people into relations-between-things, ergo money is the antithesis of speech, no matter what sheltered, quasi-fascist bigots like John Roberts and Antonin Scalia think. Hope that helps.

Money enables speech. Saying that restricting spending doesn't restrict free speech is like saying that outlawing paying for a lawyer doesn't infringe criminal defense rights.

• Locked thread