Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MooCowlian posted:

I know it's kind of been done, but seriously. Does anyone have any tips for the dudes in amana who can shoot you with homing missiles across the whole goddamn level? There's not even any cover for the latter half of the stretch before the third bonfire, and there's like four of them camping the gate. I'm playing magic and even with the ranged attacks, it's a nightmare. I don't even have the ability to zoom in like if I had a bow, which was the only way I've managed to do it on my melee characters. I feel like a fish in a barrel.

Cast HSM/Affinity before you approach and concentrate on dodging the spells. They aren't much of a problem until you stop moving to attack, and those spells allow you to initiate the attack without rooting you in place at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Jose posted:

Get 6500 every time I beat demon of song so its not a huge waste
I'm just hoping that you don't have 10k or more on hand and waste it with one shot of Climax, that's all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

neetengie posted:

I'm just hoping that you don't have 10k or more on hand and waste it with one shot of Climax, that's all.

Nah I'm going to remove it once I've got all 30 sunlight medals, it takes up way too many attunement slots

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, poison woman was a lot easier this time around on ng+ after finding out what 'burn the windmill' was all about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how tough it's going to be going back to Dark Souls after playing 2. Even after they released the patch on 360 fixing the multi I didn't get even a fraction of what I've gotten in DS2 on PC, and all the little things are going to add up. I don't think there's any section in 2 as bad as the demon ruins or crystal caves either.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder how tough it's going to be going back to Dark Souls after playing 2. Even after they released the patch on 360 fixing the multi I didn't get even a fraction of what I've gotten in DS2 on PC, and all the little things are going to add up. I don't think there's any section in 2 as bad as the demon ruins or crystal caves either.

The Shrine of Amana has nothing on the terribleness that is the Tomb of the Giants and New Londo. I dread those places on every playthrough.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I replayed DS1 after beating DS2. I found DS1 a bit easier due to shield and circle-strafing but more crappy sections overall. Just got to new londo and it really is quite difficult to muster up the effort to keep going.

And I know I'll get roasted for this but the archers in Anor Londo almost always make me rage-quit at least once in a playthrough. Platforming is really not FROM's forte.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I think what I'll miss most going back to Dark Souls 1 is the quality of life improvements like respeccing and multiplayer actually working. Otherwise I actually like 1 better overall, even the terrible levels everyone talks about.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

teh_Broseph posted:

Wow, poison woman was a lot easier this time around on ng+ after finding out what 'burn the windmill' was all about.

Don't feel bad, I died to her a handful of times and wasted so many anti poison items fighting her. I saw many player messages saying "Try Torch" at the entrance thinking she was weak to fire and brought a torch in and tried beating her with it. I also would roll and accidentally extinguish my torch in the knee deep poison. I kept thinking the fight was supposed to be that hard. :downs:

I managed to get her down to 25%-ish health with the last fight until my dense self noticed the floor next to the windmill was covered with player messages about torches.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

neetengie posted:

Upgrade your catalyst for more damage, infuse it with Magic if you can (if you're going pure Sorcery), use Binoculars to aim your spells, Carhellion is a Mage vendor, use Herbs to refill your spell charges.
e: For a melee weapon (you will need one) use the Dagger to backstab/riposte enemies that have high magic resistance, and if you don't want to waste your spells on them.

Somehow despite upgrading the fire longsword to +5 I had not thought to upgrade the catalyst, OOPS. I assumed the fire longsword would be worse than other options but at the moment it is the best thing I have found by far it seems. Thanks for the advice so far.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Xeras posted:

Somehow despite upgrading the fire longsword to +5 I had not thought to upgrade the catalyst, OOPS. I assumed the fire longsword would be worse than other options but at the moment it is the best thing I have found by far it seems. Thanks for the advice so far.
IIRC Fire scales off the average of Faith and Int, so it gets a bonus from Faith or Int being boosted up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What do people mean when they say power stance?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ariong posted:

There's a special stance that you can enter while dual wielding weapons with 150% their stat requirements. You activate it by two-handing the left hand weapon.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ariong posted:

Also to add this to, you notice you will be in the power stance, when your character's left arm slightly raises more upward.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Finally beat it at Level 155 with 3 mil SM :shepface:. I'm bad at Dark Souls. Though I like to think it's because this is my first Souls game and I insisted on beating almost all the bosses solo (only summoned for Fredja and Lucatiel and Benharts bosses because I wanted their stuff).

Went sword and board for most of it, towards the end game I forced my self to ditch the shield and after a short but painful learning period I started dying a lot less.

My favorite part is probably No Man's Wharf, I died so many times trying to reach Gavlan but I think it's where I started actually paying attention to mechanics like stamina and precise rolling. Also it was pretty cool thematically as a rundown ghost pirate town.

Most disappointing was Vendrick, probably the lamest boss in the game. I went in with 4 giant souls and after 2 deaths figuring out his patters I killed him without taking a single hit. I guess him being this easy sorta fits with the theme of what he has become, but it was a really lame fight.

Not sure when I'm gonna jump into NG+, I think I may just start a new character instead.

Also gently caress your bells, I'll ring them as much as I want. :colbert:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Finally beat it at Level 155 with 3 mil SM :shepface:. I'm bad at Dark Souls. Though I like to think it's because this is my first Souls game and I insisted on beating almost all the bosses solo (only summoned for Fredja and Lucatiel and Benharts bosses because I wanted their stuff).

Went sword and board for most of it, towards the end game I forced my self to ditch the shield and after a short but painful learning period I started dying a lot less.

My favorite part is probably No Man's Wharf, I died so many times trying to reach Gavlan but I think it's where I started actually paying attention to mechanics like stamina and precise rolling. Also it was pretty cool thematically as a rundown ghost pirate town.

Most disappointing was Vendrick, probably the lamest boss in the game. I went in with 4 giant souls and after 2 deaths figuring out his patters I killed him without taking a single hit. I guess him being this easy sorta fits with the theme of what he has become, but it was a really lame fight.

Not sure when I'm gonna jump into NG+, I think I may just start a new character instead.

Jump in NG+, there might be a few new surprises waiting. Make sure to finish all sidequests beforehand though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

Platforming is really not FROM's forte.

It is pretty stupid how many areas and items there are that force you to jump after From changed nothing about the same horrible jumping controls they used for the first two games (almost all of which kill you if you miss the jump). Forcing you to sprint before you can jump is incredibly stupid and half of my jumps get interpreted as normal rolls anyway, so I'm guessing the 60 FPS problem affects jumping timing too.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Fashion Souls!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It is pretty stupid how many areas and items there are that force you to jump after From changed nothing about the same horrible jumping controls they used for the first two games (almost all of which kill you if you miss the jump). Forcing you to sprint before you can jump is incredibly stupid and half of my jumps get interpreted as normal rolls anyway, so I'm guessing the 60 FPS problem affects jumping timing too.

I've yet to have a problem with jumping but on keyboard the jump button is mapped to "F" so it's a bit foolproof, if unorthodox.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wait, how is the game interpreting your jumps as rolls? They're separate buttons, unlike DS1.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ariong posted:

Wait, how is the game interpreting your jumps as rolls? They're separate buttons, unlike DS1.

You can change them back to DS1 controls.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why would you want to do that? It's so nice not having to worry about whether or not the jump will register.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ariong posted:

Why would you want to do that? It's so nice not having to worry about whether or not the jump will register.

Years of playing DS1? Personal Preference.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Okay, but I think the point here is it's dumb to complain the jumping controls haven't changed when you (well, he) would have had to rebind them to be the same.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Which wins count towards ranking up in the bluecops covenant? Arena wins, Invasion wins, counter-invasion wins?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So I've just gone through the Shrine of Amana and....what's the fuss? :iiam: Aside from having to watch out for sheer cliffs, it seemed a pretty easy area (that said, I do snipe with the dragonrider bow a lot)

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Rank 1! Finally! Yay! I stopped keeping track, because when I did I would do terrible, but I'd say it took around 90-110 arena duels.

To celebrate I terrorized Aldia's Keep and Earthen Peak for a while. You can barely see the aura because I have a Ring of Giants +2 Equipped, but it's there!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I sort of feel like there's little point in getting worked up about how much you level and gain soul memory. Your SM goes up no matter what as long as you're doing things, especially if you're co-oping, often there's not much to do with all those souls aside from gain levels, and the level no longer affects matchmaking. Asceticing the Giant Memories will send your SM skyrocketing and you'll likely be spending much of that on levels, but that doesn't make someone who does that a bad player, it just means they want some *&%#! twinkling titanite.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Mad warrior farming is testing my sanity. Even with the task manager trick it's still a bitch knowing when he's showed up and his drop rate sucks balls.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the hardest/most frustrating part of the whole game for me was the jump you have to make to get the Grand Lance.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

As someone who wasted a depressing amount of time killing the painting guardian repeatedly to get the monastery scimitar, I can't even fathom going for the Mad Warrior. That way madness lies.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Mad warrior farming is testing my sanity. Even with the task manager trick it's still a bitch knowing when he's showed up and his drop rate sucks balls.

I tried that but the memory usage in task manager never changed an abnormal amount when he spawned. I had several instances where it appeared to spike and he DIDN'T show up, but nothing to actually tell me if he did.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

When you know he's up, quit the game and backup your save. If he doesn't drop the thing you want, quit and restore the backup, repeat as necessary. That's how I got all the pieces for my painting guardian cosplay, and I feel no shame, you shouldn't have to grind to look good. :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there a tool to automatically backup saves like there was for the last game? My rat team character's soul memory just got hosed up by a hacker (not by millions but it did move me from 85k to 135k which is a few tiers)

Davoren posted:

Okay, but I think the point here is it's dumb to complain the jumping controls haven't changed when you (well, he) would have had to rebind them to be the same.

The only alternative is L3 which is the same stick you use to move, and it's easy to move it the wrong way because you have to click it while also holding it in a certain direction. It's possibly the single worst alternative they could have picked.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

As an aside, someone asked before if it is possible to get all four weapon strike damage effects to prettily stack up.

No, you can't. It applies the visual effect with the strongest AR, ignoring physical.

In case of a tie, fire overrides dark overrides lightning.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The mad warrior at least doesnt need ascetics and he drops each piece once. So no dupes. It was still a pain in the rear end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man... poor Vendrick doesn't look so good. I'd assumed I was gonna have to fight him but... he's just kinda lumbering around ignoring me and the Herald told me to go through the three gates so I guess I'll do that next.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

STOP TOUCHING THE BELLS

Regy Rusty posted:

Man... poor Vendrick doesn't look so good. I'd assumed I was gonna have to fight him but... he's just kinda lumbering around ignoring me and the Herald told me to go through the three gates so I guess I'll do that next.

The music really makes this scene.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

FirstPersonShitter posted:

The mad warrior at least doesnt need ascetics and he drops each piece once. So no dupes. It was still a pain in the rear end.

My memory never seems to go up more than 2-3k even when he spawns, so I really don't know how I'm supposed to tell whether he's there or not without going up and down the ladder over and over again and spending even more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Some times when I feel especially mean I go and co-op the bellfry gargs and use bat staff spray to keep the horrible bell protectors away from the host.