Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't see any messages telling me not to! I knew he was in there but I thought he'd be in a cell with a key door or something. I wish I'd turned right first instead of left. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't see any messages telling me not to! I knew he was in there but I thought he'd be in a cell with a key door or something. I wish I'd turned right first instead of left. :sigh:

Your memory must be playing tricks on you, because there are no less than seven developer messages in the hallway leading to the lever, including one right in front of it, that you should always be able to see regardless of online status.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Your memory must be playing tricks on you, because there are no less than seven developer messages in the hallway leading to the lever, including one right in front of it, that you should always be able to see regardless of online status.

I think Name-Engraved Ring will actually remove (hide) the messages.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I guess I spaced out or something. Well there's nothing I can do about it now. I seem to have an annoying history of making horrible mistakes that I realize split seconds after it's too late to take them back. Killing Quelaag's Sister, getting Ornifex killed, and now releasing Navlaan.

At least I haven't murdered the Emerald Herald or something. :v:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Regy Rusty posted:

My condolences. And my sympathies.

Enjoy being invaded.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kaldaris posted:

I wouldn't turn them lightining but they're definitely viable.

You don't want to be thor?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I found the guy that lets me ascend weapons, what should I use on my Greatsword? Do they make things scale differently? I also hear raw is awful.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Hmmmm... to ascetic the Looking Glass Knight for his shield or not. I already have his sword and armor, though I don't have the STR to use the shield yet.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

axelsoar posted:

I found the guy that lets me ascend weapons, what should I use on my Greatsword? Do they make things scale differently? I also hear raw is awful.

Raw is only good for weapons that have lovely strength scaling or no scaling.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
Well now this was the strangest thing. Does joining the Company of Champions cause NPC invasions? Because I was invaded by a dark spirit simply named Swordsman, wearing the class's starting gear, who seemed to act pretty single-mindedly, but there still seemed to be latency involved with when hits would connect. Now I honestly can't tell if this really was an NPC, or someone trying to act like one while invading new characters.

EDIT Invaded a second time, exact same deal. Now if this is an NPC with simulated lag, this is really quite ridiculous.

Zero Initiative fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 24, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

killstealing posted:

You don't want to be thor?

Thor uses the craftsman's hammer obviously.

Also I've inadvertently developed an honor system when invading. Whenever I invade someone and they're assisted by a blue spirit, I think two things to myself: This guy obviously doesn't want to be bothered by invasions and is just looking to play the game, and also, gently caress the police. So I'll attack the blue cop with suicidal aggression and then black crystal out.

One of them was even kind enough to just let us fight without interfering, but I think he was clued into my system when I dashed straight past him to lunge at the blue who spawned behind him.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I was in Belfry Sol and suddenly 2 bellbros invaded me. One of them went straight for me but the other one just stood there and waited for me to kill aggro'd mobs first. What a guy. I killed him, too

another day gone playing dark souls

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark souls pvp is nice because sometimes the other guy just wants to murder your rear end and be done with it, other times they're all honorable and just want ~good fights~, yet other times you'll just get a red phantom who will point out all the secrets while emoting encouragement the entire time.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Invading people as a naked blue man with pink hair and beard with the name YOLO SWAGSTER is a experience I can't imagine getting old.

Also, a few minutes ago:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 24, 2014

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Control Volume posted:

Dark souls pvp is nice because sometimes the other guy just wants to murder your rear end and be done with it, other times they're all honorable and just want ~good fights~, yet other times you'll just get a red phantom who will point out all the secrets while emoting encouragement the entire time.

You backstab them at the boss fog, though. They let their guard down...

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Control Volume posted:

And sometimes you'll get a strange naked man who sticks way too close to you but never actually does anything.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Visions of Man...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just realized that I don't think I've lost to a single arbiter spirit yet.

Step up your loving game, polizia.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I got invaded by one in Shaded Woods and ran around dropping prism stones and then using a silver talisman so he would run by me.

He kept trying to find me right up until his invasion timer ran out.

It's not like my disguise was perfect or anything so it's really on him. :v:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Hmm.

Dragon head stone, old ironclad armor, smelter leggings, and two Malformed Claws. Would many people get that it's supposed to be Gigan, one of the Godzilla monsters?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
So I became a bluecop and got 10 blue orbs to try it out. Two hours later I still have 10 orbs after cycling through every bonfire I had and hitting the orbs a few times, all of them fruitless. At least I got hits with bloodbros and bellbros, this poo poo is ridiculous.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

Hmm.

Dragon head stone, old ironclad armor, smelter leggings, and two Malformed Claws. Would many people get that it's supposed to be Gigan, one of the Godzilla monsters?

No, because no one likes Gigan.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Azzents posted:

So I became a bluecop and got 10 blue orbs to try it out. Two hours later I still have 10 orbs after cycling through every bonfire I had and hitting the orbs a few times, all of them fruitless. At least I got hits with bloodbros and bellbros, this poo poo is ridiculous.

Blue orbs are not limited by location. just go to any viable PvP area and you can invade anywhere, so long as there is a sinner within SM range anywhere.

You will need to get your SM higher and in NG+, at least, before you can get a substantial amount of bites. Once you hit the range where Blood cov members are probably just buying orbs you will start getting more hits.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Azzents posted:

What's your SM? You really wont get too many hits until 2m-3m since you only invade sinners which people only become by killing 10 or more npcs or world masters, and getting red orbs takes a lot of grinding one way or another. The up-side is that you can get a lot more action from NG because the range goes in both directions for Blue invasions, whereas reds can only invade people with more SM than them.

But there's also probably an over-abundance of people trying to blue invade constantly, I had to get real careful with my wretch Ice King character, because I would get blue invaded absolutely every time that my invasion timer was down, this is around 2.5m SM.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
After a long (long long long) stint of farming the monastery scimitar I have nearly 10mil SM. Would heading over to NG++ give me more bites if I'm over the average SM for NG+?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I finished co-oping through the game with a friend of mine today and we must've run into at least 50 bluecops (and we rushed the entire game). There were less Havelyns than I expected but most of them had barely any tricks beyond fishing for lagstabs. We fought plenty of people 2-3 different times.

I'm not sure about lower tiers but at higher ones I imagine you'd get endless bites with cracked blue eye orbs.

Have any of you ever encountered a "Vivian"? I've fought/co-oped so many people, I'd be surprised if none of them were in this thread.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

Hmm.

Probably not, but hey who cares how obscure your fashion souls is so long as it looks interesting. Make sure to wear the ring of the red eye.

Is there any reason to go into NG+ with a dickwraith character? From what I understand you can invade anyone in your SM range except for people that are in a lower game intensity. So if you go into NG+ you won't be able to invade NG players, but in NG you can still invade upwards into NG+ and beyond.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 24, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Zero Initiative posted:

Well now this was the strangest thing. Does joining the Company of Champions cause NPC invasions? Because I was invaded by a dark spirit simply named Swordsman, wearing the class's starting gear, who seemed to act pretty single-mindedly, but there still seemed to be latency involved with when hits would connect. Now I honestly can't tell if this really was an NPC, or someone trying to act like one while invading new characters.

EDIT Invaded a second time, exact same deal. Now if this is an NPC with simulated lag, this is really quite ridiculous.
No, IIRC CoC puts you higher up in the invasion queue, someone is probably just invading for the first time or something.

Azzents posted:

After a long (long long long) stint of farming the monastery scimitar I have nearly 10mil SM. Would heading over to NG++ give me more bites if I'm over the average SM for NG+?
SM pools are in two groups, one is NG only, the other is NG+ and beyond, when starting your second journey the game mentions this.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

neetengie posted:

SM pools are in two groups, one is NG only, the other is NG+ and beyond, when starting your second journey the game mentions this.

I don't think this is true.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

argondamn posted:

If it isn't, the game is actively lying to you at that point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Azzents posted:

It's actually easier than you might think. Blue Orbs invade people wherever but prioritize your current location. You will usually fail your first couple attempts, on average I have to hit the blue orb between 5 and 10 times to get a hit. Ain't hard.

argondamn posted:

The game directly states this is the case.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

If it isn't, the game is actively lying to you at that point.

Wouldn't be the first time. Looks like I'm probably wrong though.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Stokes posted:

I streamed last night and had a lot of really fun arena battles. Here are 4 of them. Firebombs are OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawKnQQfTjU

Hey you're thoros of myr? I coop'd with you once. You were mad about the game censoring your name (the 'ho' part of thoros)

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Regy Rusty posted:

My first time through Aldia's Keep I saw all the messages but went and pulled the lever anyway, because dammit I have to know.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
OH god help, there are like 10 rats + 1 giant rat and I can't seem to use co-op here, what gives.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So I think I like this Looking Glass Knight build! Good weapon, good shield, some drat good armor. Only real downside is that half of my ringslots are being used to up my equipment load.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I just invaded a guy in Drangleic Castle, where the elevator goes up to the Embedded. I spawned at the top of the ladder next to the elevator a few seconds before he stepped on the elevator at the bottom. As the elevator rose, I walked off the ledge to land on it. Swung at the dude until he rolled off to his death, used the VERY GOOD carving a few times while returning to my world. More blood for Nahr Alma + gently caress the bluecops :getin:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

axelsoar posted:

OH god help, there are like 10 rats + 1 giant rat and I can't seem to use co-op here, what gives.
Are you in the Grave of Saints?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I jumped the railing my first time because when I poked my head around the arch under the stairs, I didn't make out any extra hallway to turn toward. I saw a bloodstain of someone pulling the lever and immediately dying, and though it would just drop an enemy behind me. Then I turned around with my shield at the ready, and saw the developer messages.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

neetengie posted:

Are you in the Grave of Saints?

Fighting something called rat king authority, or something.