Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

axelsoar posted:

Fighting something called rat king authority, or something.
You can't co-op in ratland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

axelsoar posted:

Fighting something called rat king authority, or something.
Along with not being able to co-op in ratland, Royal Rat Vanguard is a bit weird. Just look for the unique rat.
E: I think the reason for not being able to co-op in ratland, is because it's tied to the rat covenant mechanics.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Nahxela posted:

You can't co-op in ratland

That blows, I also got summoned to someone's world somehow (first pvp ever) and we dueled forever as I picked off dwarfs around him until he backed off a ledge.

Victory I guess?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Trespassers trying to ring the bell keep running into my Lingering Flames like moths. Is the spell effect not noticeable for the other player or are people really that oblivious?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The Royal Rat Authority can be a real tough fight depending on when you reach it. If you can take out the little rats in one go before the big guy hops into the fray it's not so bad, but if your stats are on the lower end and your weapons aren't upgraded enough it's almost impossible to deal with the Authority and all his little nippers at the same time.

axelsoar posted:

That blows, I also got summoned to someone's world somehow (first pvp ever) and we dueled forever as I picked off dwarfs around him until he backed off a ledge.

Victory I guess?
That's what the rats do. Whenever you're in the rat covenant areas (the Doors of Pharros, specifically the lower part past the bonfire, and the Grave of Saints) you have a chance of getting summoned into a ratbro's world as a gray phantom so they can try to kill you. There's no penalty for losing, but if you win or escape you get a Pharros' Lockstone out of the deal. The best way to deal with them is usually to try and sprint past the host and their traps and reach the end, since that'll dump you right at the bonfire next to the boss.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 24, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

axelsoar posted:

Victory I guess?

The Doors of Pharros and Grave of Saints both share the Rat covenant. Their gimmick is that players are summoned into the ratbro's world and that ratbros can use Pharros Lockstones to activate a variety of traps. You can't summon in Ratland but killing either rat boss (Royal Rat Authority or Royal Ray Vanguard) lets you access the covenant. It's fun.

The RRA can be killed relatively easily if you still behind it's left leg. If you're having trouble then just skip past the rats, both rat areas are totally optional.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Bwahaha, so many people get surprised by the fact that the Thorned Greatsword's R2's are combos. :D

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaldaris posted:

I wouldn't turn them lightining but they're definitely viable.

Why? I was thinking of turning the right handed Caestus into fire and the left hand one into lighting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Suitaru posted:

I just invaded a guy in Drangleic Castle, where the elevator goes up to the Embedded. I spawned at the top of the ladder next to the elevator a few seconds before he stepped on the elevator at the bottom. As the elevator rose, I walked off the ledge to land on it. Swung at the dude until he rolled off to his death, used the VERY GOOD carving a few times while returning to my world. More blood for Nahr Alma + gently caress the bluecops :getin:

You will be brought to justice, sinner :colbert:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mans posted:

Why? I was thinking of turning the right handed Caestus into fire and the left hand one into lighting.

I don't know how low the scaling goes when you infuse them, but it's A and B scaling which is great, so in that case you're better off just leaving them at +10. If you're making a quality character just keep them +10.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

neetengie posted:

Along with not being able to co-op in ratland, Royal Rat Vanguard is a bit weird. Just look for the unique rat.
E: I think the reason for not being able to co-op in ratland, is because it's tied to the rat covenant mechanics.

I think he's talking about the Royal Rat Authority.

The 10 small rats is a bit of an exaggeration (there are 4)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Mans posted:

I believe a big part of the caestus's viability is good bonus damage from strength scaling, so cutting into that hurts them.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

kazil posted:

I think he's talking about the Royal Rat Authority.

The 10 small rats is a bit of an exaggeration (there are 4)
His response made me assume he's in Grave of Saints and misremembered the name, or I'm in the wrong and he mixed up the location he was in. Although since he mentioned dwarves, he's probably in Doors so I'm wrong there.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mans posted:

Caestus gets A/A scaling from Str/Dex at +10, so you should never infuse them with anything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Your memory must be playing tricks on you, because there are no less than seven developer messages in the hallway leading to the lever, including one right in front of it, that you should always be able to see regardless of online status.

Sometimes those actually take awhile to show up. The first time I went there I looked at the lever and only saw the one "don't you dare" right next to it, came back later and all the Pull Backs had appeared by then. I pulled it anyway after I finished the area just to see what it would do and unless you're going for awestones or something I wouldn't recommend it, he's just obnoxious when you're trying to run through old areas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

You will be brought to justice, sinner :colbert:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the host dieing because blue boys are terrible at everything.

Its amazing how completely ineffective Way of the Blue is. Even when it does summon someone, they're usually poo poo.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neetengie posted:

I don't know how low the scaling goes when you infuse them, but it's A and B scaling which is great, so in that case you're better off just leaving them at +10. If you're making a quality character just keep them +10.

PublicOpinion posted:

I believe a big part of the caestus's viability is good bonus damage from strength scaling, so cutting into that hurts them.

Piell posted:

Caestus gets A/A scaling from Str/Dex at +10, so you should never infuse them with anything.

If you people think i put combat efficiency over looking cool then you're dead wrong :colbert:

(i didn't even notice the amazing scalings, thanks for reminding me. The idea of one punch setting people on fire while the other zaps them sounds too good in my head.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the host dieing because blue boys are terrible at everything.

Its amazing how completely ineffective Way of the Blue is. Even when it does summon someone, they're usually poo poo.

Honestly, it's pretty rare that I arrive and the host is already dead. It seems like at this point most hosts I get summoned to defend are perfectly capable of playing keepaway until backup arrives. And then it is time for the fuckening.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Mans posted:

The idea of one punch setting people on fire while the other zaps them sounds too good in my head.

Equip chime (or pyro flame) in right hand, cestus in left. Cast SLB (FW). Equip cestus in right hand, use fire (or lightning) resin. Heaven and hell, let's rock!

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Mans posted:

If you people think i put combat efficiency over looking cool then you're dead wrong :colbert:

(i didn't even notice the amazing scalings, thanks for reminding me. The idea of one punch setting people on fire while the other zaps them sounds too good in my head.)

Well, you did ask about their viability ...

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
So is it his left leg, or the leg to my left when facing him that I need to hit? I have died more to this boss than anything else in dark souls. :negative:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

axelsoar posted:

So is it his left leg, or the leg to my left when facing him that I need to hit? I have died more to this boss than anything else in dark souls. :negative:

He's totally optional and totally a dick boss. If you have to, go do other poo poo and come back to him later.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

axelsoar posted:

Or. You know. Just stand under him and spam flame tempest.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

axelsoar posted:

He paws in both directions so it doesn't matter. I think more importantly you have a weapon that has decent reach. Whips, big swords, STR weapons are all good. Spells are even better

Supposedly there's some method to cheese it by getting up in his grill but I never figured it out. Honestly since it's optional I would come back later if you aren't close to finishing yet. At the very least you'll have better stats later and if you can't beat RRA in the amount of protective rings you have it's not worth losing to again and again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got to the Shrine of Amana. It's not horrible, but it sure is draining.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SynthOrange posted:

I got to the Shrine of Amana. It's not horrible, but it sure is draining.

Range em, etcetera etcetera

otherwise kill them quickly

etcetera

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Motherfucker posted:

Hey you're thoros of myr? I coop'd with you once. You were mad about the game censoring your name (the 'ho' part of thoros)

That was probably another Thoros. I don't remember talking to anyone about that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Grey Spirit Thrill** has been summoned to your world

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Take that stupid rat thing! now to take my frustration out on grey phantoms!

See ya Zyggs.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I'm in my first play through and decided to go Dex melee because Dex was awesome in DS1, and uh... do Dex weapons even exist? I just killed the Iron King and have been using the Fire Broadsword and Heide Sword pretty much exclusively. I've got 30 points in Dex and I don't think they are doing a drat thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

axelsoar posted:

Take that stupid rat thing! now to take my frustration out on grey phantoms!

See ya Zyggs.

You know it's less risky if you do the invading right

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

kater posted:

So I'm in my first play through and decided to go Dex melee because Dex was awesome in DS1, and uh... do Dex weapons even exist? I just killed the Iron King and have been using the Fire Broadsword and Heide Sword pretty much exclusively. I've got 30 points in Dex and I don't think they are doing a drat thing.

It's all late game, if you want J-swords you have to get it from the IK ninjas or McDuff. There's a long rear end washing pole but that's in the dragon shrine

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

poptart_fairy posted:

There are no swords which double as Hex charms are there?

No. But there is the Mace Of The Insolent which does!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

kater posted:

You're in the right area to pick up your first Hanzo steel if you're lucky. If you're not, give McDuff the ember that's in the Iron Keep (it's in the room before Smelter) and he can sell you an Uchigatana. Alternate options are powerstanced Falchions, which you can buy from Lenigrast, or a single curved sword (but I really wouldn't recommend that.)

Ornifex sells the Murakumo if you've unlocked him.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Alan Smithee posted:

You know it's less risky if you do the invading right

You can invade as a Rat-guy?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

axelsoar posted:

Well I think you have to switch covenant

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

axelsoar posted:

Servants of the Rat King pull people into their world. Rat King members are ignored by all mobs in Grave of Saints and Doors of Pharros, and have free run of the place to activate as many tricks and traps as they please with Pharros Lockstones. Their sole objective is to stop the Gray Phantoms pulled into their own world from leaving alive.

So yes, they invade, but differently. Sort of a reverse invasion.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

axelsoar posted:

If you're in the rat covenant they invade you, but you have backup in the forms of rats and traps with Pharos lockstones.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I know they come to me, I was just confused by what he meant. 5 wins to 1 loss so far, the last guy thought he was safe in Havel's gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
HOW TO GET RID OF ALL YOUR SIN FOR FREE:

1) Spend all your souls.
2) Go to Undead Crypt and beyond.
3) Go AFK for 7 hours.