Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Basically any time a quest tells you there's a time constraint, you'll fail if you miss it. But there's nothing that'll just disappear forever without you ever knowing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

precision posted:

Lightning Returns question: I know I'm not supposed to be worrying about running out of time, but are there any (or many) quests I'll get locked out of by letting time progress?

Just to add on to what other people said, there are a few sidequests that happen during the Yusnaan Main Quest to collect fireworks - I believe you get locked out of those once you complete the Main Quest.

It's pretty easy to get 10 fireworks too so you could miss some of these pretty easily.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Fedule posted:

I'll run out of questions soon, I promise!

Is there anywhere that lists the stats you can get from the nodes already on the sphere grid? (IE, without using spheres that add nodes). I don't want to be suboptimal :ohdear:

Related: are there suggestions for how many of what nodes to add in the first place?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/643146-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/faqs/46942

It's an old FAQ but it includes the International version so I think it will apply to the HD version. All the math is broken down so you can see exactly where all the number come from, but the early part of the FAQ just summarizes the whole drat thing so you could follow your choice from that if you don't feel like reading.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Toshimo posted:

Steelguard! Steelguard! HEY GUYS DID YOU SEE THAT STEELGUARD?!?

"No one likes Steelguard."

I've been really putting off going into Sin just because I want to keep the vocal stuff in. I really wish it didn't cut the banter. Then again I guess I've not gotten to a point where I'm grinding fortune spheres so I'm likely not at a point where I just want them to shut up.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
How come VIII has a much better soundtrack than VII?

I can't think of a single tune from VII except "SEPHIROTH!"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Cosmo Canyon is pretty good and one of my favorite tracks to play in Theatrhythm.

I agree on liking VIII's soundtrack though

Lessail fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 24, 2014

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

For some reason I keep thinking about that weird lazy dub going on at Wall Market and Rocket Town.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Lessail posted:

Cosmo Canyon is pretty good and one of my favorite tracks to play in Theatrhythm.

Despite having almost every song in Theatrhythm on the iPad, this song comes up on like every quest medley and I liked it before but I can't stand it now.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The super bosses are boring too, since the only real strategy is to just make Wakka strong enough to Overdrive them to death.

I beat them all (except Penance) without using Wakka. His overdrive is powerful but slow, so Quick Hit works out fine and I think has better DPS. It's also been a while, but I don't think Attack Reels alone is effective against the serious (i.e. non-Valefor) Dark Aeons. It doesn't do enough damage and overcommits you against incredibly fast enemies.

The only vital postgame overdrive is Mix.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I think VII's was more fitting in-game and in creating atmosphere (for example J-E-N-O-V-A represents Jenova's alien nature really well) but VIII probably had better themes outside of context. Think the actual audio quality is higher as well, I'm pretty sure VII was full MIDI at least but I'm not sure about VIII.

Some of my favorites that come to mind from VII are Cid's Theme, J-E-N-O-V-A, Those Chosen By the Planet, Interrupted by Fireworks, Judgement Day and The Birth of a God. And Aeris' Theme of course.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The boss theme in VII owns so hard.

But VIII does have The Man with the Machine Gun, which is my favorite track from any Uematsu soundtrack

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Fedule posted:

I'll run out of questions soon, I promise!

Is there anywhere that lists the stats you can get from the nodes already on the sphere grid? (IE, without using spheres that add nodes). I don't want to be suboptimal :ohdear:

Related: are there suggestions for how many of what nodes to add in the first place?

There's this on gamefaqs but it didn't quite match up to what I observed in my game. AGI was massively overstated and the other stats were off by a sphere or two. still generally useful as a guide though. I cleared all the luck spheres and the +1 spheres (except magic) and used the expert sphere grid. For some reason I tracked my progress so here you go.

code:
	Grid stat	grid stat less +1s		+4 spheres needed
mdef	114		107				35.75 (used 37)
str	160		149				25.25 
def	131		127				30.75 (used 33)
acc	66		62				47
agi	113		109				35.25 (there was a lot of overflow here)
eva	112		108				36 (used 38)
mag	144		144 (used +1s)			26.5 (used 29)
luck	N/A			
hp	16200			
mp	1030

This left me with ~40ish empty nodes which I filled mostly with MDEF leftover from grinding One Eye. to anyone going for the trophy I'd suggest skipping MAG since jumbo flan is a pain and there's no monsters that require a high magic stat.

Peel posted:

I beat them all (except Penance) without using Wakka. His overdrive is powerful but slow, so Quick Hit works out fine and I think has better DPS. It's also been a while, but I don't think Attack Reels alone is effective against the serious (i.e. non-Valefor) Dark Aeons. It doesn't do enough damage and overcommits you against incredibly fast enemies.

The only vital postgame overdrive is Mix.

I never bothered grinding for world champion or learning attack reels timing, but since overdrives hit 100% of the time and I wsa too lazy to grind for luck spheres, I got a lot of use out of blitz ace, oblivion, and zanmato. Demi Fury with break damage limit is also useful for capturing high HP monsters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanfy posted:

Think the actual audio quality is higher as well, I'm pretty sure VII was full MIDI at least but I'm not sure about VIII.

All three PSX FFs are MIDI/sample. The difference between VII and VIII is more that they had a better handle on what the SPU on the PSX could do, amongst other factors. It was a very different setup than the SPC was, despite both coming from Sony/Kutaragi.

Also Uemtasu had just bought a sweetass guitar and got his sound engineers to sample it, which is why one of the earlier FFVIII OSTs has some tracks labelled "featuring Mr. Uematsu's Stratocaster" or something along those lines.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I can (exclusively?) reveal that, even having fought several battles in Sin, I am still getting incidental battle chatter. Maybe the cutoff point is once you get to the ruined city place?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You forgot VII's overworld theme - the best FF overworld theme? I thought VIII's map music was just poo poo compared to that.

Same for the regular battle music.

This violin cover of Cosmo Canyon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCQ8UXCSs-M is better than anything to come out of VIII IMO, music or otherwise.

I also really like the boss themes, the Mako Reactor theme, and You can hear the cry of the planet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Still playing it constantly after maybe five months. Great game, and I recommend it if you have any interest in the genre. Also check out the MMO HMO thread to make sure you get on the same server as all the other goons and for advice on starting out.

Hit the thread right after posting here and joined up with DGKK. It's an interesting game, I went and picked up gladiator and miner a little bit ago. Almost level 16 as pugilist so I'm going to focus on getting to 20(pushing through the main story quests to unlock dungeons atm) so I can ride my fat chocobo, then probably work on miner and maybe go find conjurer so I can get protect/cure.

I regret not making my pugilist be one of those little children-midget guys. Would be farm more amusing than being a big green hulkish dude when I run around punching stuff to death.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hit the thread right after posting here and joined up with DGKK. It's an interesting game, I went and picked up gladiator and miner a little bit ago. Almost level 16 as pugilist so I'm going to focus on getting to 20(pushing through the main story quests to unlock dungeons atm) so I can ride my fat chocobo, then probably work on miner and maybe go find conjurer so I can get protect/cure.

I regret not making my pugilist be one of those little children-midget guys. Would be farm more amusing than being a big green hulkish dude when I run around punching stuff to death.

You'll get an item called Fantasia once you're subscribed for a month or two or three that will let you change your race, so you can always change it later.

14's the first MMORPG I've put any serious time in, and I still love that there's all sorts of content to do with more being constantly added. I also love how lighthearted the game generally is. Definitely feels like a FF game, at any rate.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You forgot VII's overworld theme - the best FF overworld theme? I thought VIII's map music was just poo poo compared to that.

I wanted to disagree with this and say that FF9 and possibly FF5 is better but then I sat and listened to all three and I think FF7 really does have the best overworld theme. Especially back in the day when you first land outside of Midgar and the whole world opens up, it was a really fitting piece of music.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also Uemtasu had just bought a sweetass guitar and got his sound engineers to sample it, which is why one of the earlier FFVIII OSTs has some tracks labelled "featuring Mr. Uematsu's Stratocaster" or something along those lines.

Mods de Chocobo ft. his telecaster

I have no idea why I retained that

Jibo posted:

I wanted to disagree with this and say that FF9 and possibly FF5 is better but then I sat and listened to all three and I think FF7 really does have the best overworld theme. Especially back in the day when you first land outside of Midgar and the whole world opens up, it was a really fitting piece of music.

Yeah, FF7's really does a great job of conveying "by the way there's a whole world to explore too," especially the swell it builds up to.

FF9's was super chill. There was no sense of urgency or anything, just wander around and go play Chocobo Hot and Cold. Don't even worry about Kuja, just go play some cards, it's all good.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
FFVII definitely has the best world map music, it's one of my favourite pieces in the whole series. I can't agree that VIII has a better soundtrack, VII's is much more memorable for me (though they're both excellent). I finished Trails In The Sky recently which was a really good old school RPG and I liked it very much, but I can't recall a single tune from it and I never found the music to be anything other than just "there". Uematsu really is something special

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I felt 7's soundtrack fit the areas and atmosphere better, but 8's soundtrack were more enjoyable pieces of music to simply listen to in a vacuum.

9's soundtrack beats both of them. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Vil posted:

I felt 7's soundtrack fit the areas and atmosphere better, but 8's soundtrack were more enjoyable pieces of music to simply listen to in a vacuum.

Yeah, that's pretty much word for word what I said too. :v:

quote:

9's soundtrack beats both of them. :colbert:

Thinking about it, it just might. Lots of great music in IX, You're Not Alone may be my favorite track in the series or at least very close to it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

When's the best time to try to get on Excalibur in XIV on a weekend?

VVV Thanks! Sorry, reading threads is hard :downs:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

SSNeoman posted:

When's the best time to try to get on Excalibur in XIV on a weekend?

There are about a thousand posts saying this in the ARR thread, but try early morning EST.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
FFV fiesta time? Time for me to do a FF12:IZJS fiesta! Anyone else play FF12:IZJS with random job selection? I really have fun with it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

There was a whole period there where the FF overworld tracks were really sleepy sounding, i like it.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kanfy posted:

Thinking about it, it just might. Lots of great music in IX, You're Not Alone may be my favorite track in the series or at least very close to it.

It definitely had the best character themes out of the PSX-era ones. I love Cid's theme, but FFIX is consistently awesome with Freya, Amarant, and Beatrix's themes.

To be fair FF8 didn't have any character themes, but I stand by my opinion.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rei_ posted:

There was a whole period there where the FF overworld tracks were really sleepy sounding, i like it.

Probably around the same period when we actually had FF overworld tracks. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

BloodWulfe posted:

To be fair FF8 didn't have any character themes, but I stand by my opinion.

The Man With the Machine Gun was totally Laguna's theme. :colbert:

Although it's probably too cool for the biggest klutz in history.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They can gently caress up the stories and they can gently caress up the characters but one thing Final Fantasy consistently gets right is the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JnXdfoYpY

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FF8 is cool because it's the first FF with songs with lyrics (I think) and the love theme was performed by Faye Wong

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Great Lakes Log posted:

FF8 is cool because it's the first FF with songs with lyrics (I think) and the love theme was performed by Faye Wong

How loving dare you?

Estuans interius ira vehementi

Sephiroth, Sephiroth

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
One Winged Angel actually has vocals on-disc, but they've been crunched down so they sound like they're midi.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah no the best overworld is FF2's :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s5DFplbVKo

poo poo's bad, poo poo's gonna get worse. Maybe your party can stop it? Hell no, half the world's NPCs end up dead

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Toshimo posted:

How loving dare you?

Sephiroth, Sephiroth

Maria and Draco :v:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Yeah no the best overworld is FF2's :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s5DFplbVKo

poo poo's bad, poo poo's gonna get worse. Maybe your party can stop it? Hell no, half the world's NPCs end up dead

That's not even the best one on the system!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRWlmXuv8E

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The best song is that one chocobo heavy metal thing from whichever FF-13 had it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

forbidden lesbian posted:

The best song is that one chocobo heavy metal thing from whichever FF-13 had it.

Crazy Chocobo from FFXIII-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm pretty sure at one point he says something about riding the chocobo to hell, but I'm too busy laughing to know or care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Fungah! posted:

That's not even the best one on the system!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRWlmXuv8E

I was gonna say this. I may have hated the poo poo out of IIIDS but that music was sweet as hell!