Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Astro7x posted:

Well for a new factory sealed copy of an out of print game, sure... or just buy it for $10 on eBay with the many "buy it now" options.

They have it starting for $17.99 for disk only though that's insane for anything that isn't NBK 2K3 Fire Emblem. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

There is nothing you could do with Star Fox that would make any money. All the genres it would easily fit into are not big sellers and all the genres you could shoehorn it into would probably fit an original IP too without pissing off the furries Star Fox fans who don't want to play Star Fox: The FPS.

Star Fox seems like a prime candidate for a middle/low budget game to be honest. As far as I know all people want out of a game in that series is more space shooting in a 3D space ala Star Fox 64. That can't cost a ton to make.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

King of Solomon posted:

Star Fox seems like a prime candidate for a middle/low budget game to be honest. As far as I know all people want out of a game in that series is more space shooting in a 3D space ala Star Fox 64. That can't cost a ton to make.

There's a joke about Star Citizen in here.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Dear lord, don't give it to Team Ninja. :gonk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, but why bother? You either can dedicate a team to a bigger project or to a small-budget project like Crashmo instead which will probably turn more of a profit than a 30 minute long rail shooter would. You could give it to an outside developer but that doesn't really work well.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Do NOT support the Wii U in this thread. This is a safe place for people to make armchair critic statements like "they need to put Mario on a phone". If you don't like that, go post on Miiverse.

Nobody cares if you play a Wii U.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but why bother? You either can dedicate a team to a bigger project or to a small-budget project like Crashmo instead which will probably turn more of a profit than a 30 minute long rail shooter would. You could give it to an outside developer but that doesn't really work well.

I have no idea what the market is for a Star Fox game at this point. If there is a reasonable market it could be worth it, though I'd imagine they'd want more than a half hour of game even at a budget price.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It seems to me the character would at least be valuable to license out.

Established animal characters in space with a last starfighter vibe seems like it could easily be popular with children if it were some kind of movie or anime, and then once that popularity was established, could be branched out into merchandising and games.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

King of Solomon posted:

I have no idea what the market is for a Star Fox game at this point.

:furcry:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

It seems to me the character would at least be valuable to license out.

Established animal characters in space with a last starfighter vibe seems like it could easily be popular with children if it were some kind of movie or anime, and then once that popularity was established, could be branched out into merchandising and games.

I dunno, Warner Bros tried flogging Duck Dodgers, and it went precisely nowhere - I think it was the second biggest flop of a show a Looney Tunes character ever had. If Donald Duck couldn't manage it, would Star Fox really have a better shot?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fulchrum posted:

I dunno, Warner Bros tried flogging Duck Dodgers, and it went precisely nowhere - I think it was the second biggest flop of a show a Looney Tunes character ever had. If Donald Duck couldn't manage it, would Star Fox really have a better shot?

Duck Dodgers is Daffy Duck, not Donald

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

less laughter posted:

Duck Dodgers is Daffy Duck, not Donald

In my defence, I'm an idiot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I have no idea what the market is for a Star Fox game at this point. If there is a reasonable market it could be worth it, though I'd imagine they'd want more than a half hour of game even at a budget price.

Yeah, I think that's the core problem. The audience for furry-themed score-attack rail-shooters has got to be pretty drat slim. I'd argue even smaller that Kid Icarus since that had more of a goofy generic comedy feel going for it and a different kind of core game. So reviving it is a matter of figuring out a way to use the IP in a way that attracts new fans and isn't worth just making a new IP for.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ratchet & Clank pull off that style very well, although the games have a much bigger focus on ground combat, with space combat usually just being a minigame.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

fivegears4reverse that was the prevailing opinion on Star Fox Assault when it was new too. Especially coming off of Star Fox Adventures which actually, somehow, had more rail shooting segments of superior quality to what was in Assault.

Just have to chime in and say no, this is utterly wrong. Assault's Arwing sections may not be as tight as 64's, but at least they had effort put into them to make them resemble what should belong in a Star Fox game. You got on-rails, all-range mode and even the Landmaster (no Blue Marine because gently caress Aquas). They're still miles ahead of Adventures' lovely, phoned in "fly through X gold rings" missions with a tacked on, rehashed boss fight with Andross from 64.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
IGN (yes yes i know) did a podcast with a former Gamespy guy who headed up the development of the Wii and DS's Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which was recently shut down as part of Gamespy's slow and agonizing death. One anecdote involves two separate Nintendo teams arguing for ten minutes in Japanese over whether or not to include usernames, messaging, invites etc. while the Gamespy team meeting with them (who didn't speak Japanese) were stuck sitting and watching in silence.

This explains a lot.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Kins posted:

the Gamespy team meeting with them (who didn't speak Japanese)

Seems like a bigger fuckup on their part than on Nintendo's.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Seems like a bigger fuckup on their part than on Nintendo's.
They had a translator with them, obviously. He translated the ten minutes of arguing as a brief, polite response to the question that set it off.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Kins posted:

IGN (yes yes i know) did a podcast with a former Gamespy guy who headed up the development of the Wii and DS's Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which was recently shut down as part of Gamespy's slow and agonizing death. One anecdote involves two separate Nintendo teams arguing for ten minutes in Japanese over whether or not to include usernames, messaging, invites etc. while the Gamespy team meeting with them (who didn't speak Japanese) were stuck sitting and watching in silence.

This explains a lot.

Well as you know they didn't include usernames, messaging, or invites. They still don't have invites. So apparently at least one team in Nintendo knew what should go at bare minimum into online but the rest of coroporate wouldn't listen.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Wii still doesn't have invites because they never took steps to improve it post-launch and now the online infrastructure's dead.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

From a few pages back but:

Crowbear posted:

Why use the second best Video Game song of all time and not the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

quote:

Just have to chime in and say no, this is utterly wrong. Assault's Arwing sections may not be as tight as 64's, but at least they had effort put into them to make them resemble what should belong in a Star Fox game. You got on-rails, all-range mode and even the Landmaster (no Blue Marine because gently caress Aquas). They're still miles ahead of Adventures' lovely, phoned in "fly through X gold rings" missions with a tacked on, rehashed boss fight with Andross from 64.

There are 3-4 traditional star fox levels in Assault and they are all REALLY fantastic. I just have no idea why the gently caress there were any other kinds of levels in the game.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

El Mido posted:

The effort fell short compared to two games that actually got it right pretty much all the way through, and being better than Adventures is the lowest form of praise you can possibly give Assault. You might as well say "I could put it in my GameCube and it would not brick the console, clearly gaming ambrosia."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I liked the ground levels...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

That loving Sned posted:

Ratchet & Clank pull off that style very well, although the games have a much bigger focus on ground combat, with space combat usually just being a minigame.

And those space combat levels are horrible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Astro7x posted:

And those space combat levels are horrible.

I didn't think they were that bad. I mean, not great, but they didn't actively annoy me like the racing in the first game or anything.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

I didn't think they were that bad. I mean, not great, but they didn't actively annoy me like the racing in the first game or anything.

Genre mixing is a pretty iffy practice. It may an easy way to break up repetitive gameplay but even when done well there's no guarantee that a the player is going to appreciate both genres. If I'm struggling with a platformer it should be because the platforming is challenging, not because I need to play some horrible racing/shooting/fishing segment to progress.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Furry Mass Effect

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think what doesn't help with Star Fox' cases is that previous titles have tainted the idea of a potential shift in genre, and made fans more reluctant to the notion, compared to Kid Icarus where the lack of anything for decades meant very few cared that Uprising wasn't gonna be a 2D platformer.

I'd almost say they'd have to repeat what they did with KIU's development - in that it wasn't a Kid Icarus game at first, but into development it was realised that, at least thematically, the characters and IP could fit.

On the other hand, that's pretty much how Adventures was developed by Rare, so...

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

A classic Star Fox would make an incredible $15 downloadable title. The length wouldn't be as big a detriment there and they could even toss in a handful of multiplayer arenas.

But we're talking about Nintendo, so that will never, ever happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I wonder if they'd consider making something more sim-ish like a Wing Commander or Privateer type game but with Star Fox's characters and setting. You'd have a game with longevity via its structure while still easily being able to have lots of fast rail shooter missions in specific areas. That type of game is very easy to get into if the controls are intuitive as well (which should be pretty easy since the Wii U's controller is a good controller with a tablet in the middle of it).

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

A classic Star Fox would make an incredible $15 downloadable title. The length wouldn't be as big a detriment there and they could even toss in a handful of multiplayer arenas.

I would love to see a new SF game, with the visual style of the first one, everything super polygonal with very basic shading, imagine enemies shifting polygons around, morphing into different creatures, score attack, branching paths, $15, it aint that hard.....right?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

PacoPepe posted:

I would love to see a new SF game, with the visual style of the first one, everything super polygonal with very basic shading, imagine enemies shifting polygons around, morphing into different creatures, score attack, branching paths, $15, it aint that hard.....right?

If they reach out to some indies, they'll do it for almost free

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Spiffo posted:

If they reach out to some indies, they'll do it for almost free

Considering that apparently someone at Bioware once said candidly that "everybody has a made an Icarus pitch to Nintendo" before Sakurai got to develop Uprising I don't doubt some people have probably already been pitching a new Star Fox to them for years as well.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Sarchasm posted:

This is ( unfortunately ) true. I'd kill for a new downloadable StarFox game - heck, I'd even accept a bigger price-tag ( say, 29,99$ maximum ) for it. But it'd have to be a downloadable release - I don't think that the concept of StarFox warrants a full-on disc-release in today's markets.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I don't understand the idea that a new Star Fox game wouldn't have an audience. It's not like nobody knows what Star Fox is, a game came out in the series recently and there are multiple Star Fox characters that are popular to play as in the Smash Bros series. The last real Star Fox game, Star Fox 64, was a critical darling and a significant commercial success. Just because Adventures (lovely Zelda clone), Assault and Command (mediocre multigenre titles) weren't big successes doesn't mean the series should be considered dead in the water. The aerial combat genre has an audience, and fun fast-paced rail-shooting games with cartoon characters will have the same appeal to children that it had in the '90s.

Compared to every other major Nintendo franchise (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Kirby), creating a new Star Fox game would probably take the least time and resources. The next Star Fox game should be pretty straightforward, just make a prettier Star Fox 64, add online multiplayer combat and you're done.

gently caress, just release Star Fox 2 as a 3DS or Wii U VC title or something.

I'm sure the next Star Fox will come out in like eight years at the end of a system's lifespan and you'll fly as your Mii and Andross will be replaced with a Nintendog with Reggie Fils-Aime's face or some stupid bullshit like that, though.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Where can I find the bad music from video games thread because I am cracking the hell up

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

whaley posted:

Where can I find the bad music from video games thread because I am cracking the hell up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BISQ1A4VFxg

This is all you need to know.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Oh god, I had that game growing up. So bad.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

The effort fell short compared to two games that actually got it right pretty much all the way through, and being better than Adventures is the lowest form of praise you can possibly give Assault. You might as well say "I could put it in my GameCube and it would not brick the console, clearly gaming ambrosia."

I don't think I ever said that Assault deserved great praise but hey, it had some really good music, yeah?

Bobnumerotres posted:

There are 3-4 traditional star fox levels in Assault and they are all REALLY fantastic. I just have no idea why the gently caress there were any other kinds of levels in the game.

There is a sort of precedent to them. In 64 you could unlock Landmasters and on-foot mode for use in multiplayer. Multiplayer seemed like a pretty big focus for Assault and in that respect they really expanded it from the basic mechanics in 64. You didn't have to die to switch your means of movement, there were more items to map control, more modes in general, and picking different characters meant something as they had different attributes though I'm pretty sure Wolf was the best at everything. It's a shame that all this focus and polish on multiplayer probably made the singleplayer suffer since I played Assault's multiplayer for about half an hour before getting bored.

surf rock posted:

Compared to every other major Nintendo franchise (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Kirby), creating a new Star Fox game would probably take the least time and resources. The next Star Fox game should be pretty straightforward, just make a prettier Star Fox 64, add online multiplayer combat and you're done.

Seriously this, plus maybe an F-Zero on GX's level of quality would get me crawling back to Nintendo. I played goddamn Salvation Prophecy because I was itching for some space shooter action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Spiffo posted:

Furry Mass Effect

You joke, but I honestly think that would be the best direction to take the series in. Playing anything other than a bald white dude in a narrative shooter would be a huge breath of fresh air and I just don't see a space shooter selling these days.

• Locked thread