Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

For laughs I took a chunky unit of gargoyles in front of a brood of 3 CC carnifex. Cheap as hell.

Opponent took his 5 man kitted out thunderwolf squad, charged into the gargoyles because they were in the way, and killed them all. So I charge in, smash attack with 9 attacks rerolling to hit all at S10 to instakill the entire squad in one go. Best thing ever.

It'll only be 3 smash attacks now, because monstrous creatures shouldn't be too monstrous. :shobon:

Post 9-11 User posted:

The point is moot with flamers, whether or not they get cover from blast markers depends on whether or not Games Workshop bothered to write rules for whether or not models inside transports get cover.

Probably not

Oh right, forgot about all that. Well, now I don't know whether to get them or not. I can get 6 for the price of 3 RRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

haakman posted:

What the gently caress - that basically removes one of the combat drugs rolls for DE. DE being S3 and all.

gently caress you GW

I don't get why you're upset. Only a handful of HQs and squad leaders can get both combat drugs and poisoned CCWs. +1S is still a good boost for all the models without poisoned CCWs like wyches, hellions and huskblade archons.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Arbite posted:

So did Dark Eldar gain anything from this new edition? Well, anything apart from being able to take stuff that isn't Dark Eldar?

You gain the lovely changes to the already bad and unviable assault rules, if that counts :v: I hope you like failing to charge units 1" away.
I made a bet with a friend that there won't be any FAQs in time for our nerdclub on Monday night, I think it's safe to say that I'll be getting a free bourbon because GW won't be in a hurry to do something that doesn't involve :shepspends: especially since they booted the FAQ/Errata section off their own website.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ijyt posted:

What is synapse important for by the way, as the gargoyles in Skyblight have Fearless, I think there's another rule - instinctive behaviour - that synapse deals with, right?

Synapse grants Fearless to all Nid units (although MC's already get it), and more importantly it lets them ignore the ~narrative forging~ instinctive behaviour rules. The Instinctive behaviour table normally results in crazy random things like running off the table or units literally eating themselves, and is basically GW's way to try and make Tyranids act as an NPC faction by removing control of units from the player. Because that's a fun way to write a 2-player game.

Of course most synapse units are expensive and not very durable. Any smart opponent will pick them out and destroy them quickly. Currently the best way around this is to just spam as many Flyrants as you can and kill off enemy anti-air as soon as you can.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ijyt posted:

It'll only be 3 smash attacks now, because monstrous creatures shouldn't be too monstrous. :shobon:

While true, adrenal glands on CC Monsters are a no brainer because fleet is SOOO loving worth not rolling snake eyes. Furious Charging carnifex with D3 S9 autohits at I10 should be enough to deal with most tanks.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Where the gently caress does it say you can shoot flamers into transports?!

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

Safety Factor posted:

What cover save are your dudes getting inside a transport? :confused: Besides, templates always ignore cover so it's kind of a moot point.

Sorry, I meant more just with buildings, and how those rules went. Before it was just 'd6 hits at strength with ignore cover' when the template touches the fire port. You're right that templates get them by default, I was just wondering how it was written in the new book.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lord Twisted posted:

pg173 - No Escape
"If a Template weapon hits a building's Fire Point or an Open-topped vehicle and there is a unit embarked inside that building of vehicle, then in addition to any other effects that unit suffers D6 hits."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Lord Twisted posted:

Open-Topped Transports

Page 173:

Beaten, but with photographic evidence.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
at least they explained precision shots

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

AbusePuppy posted:

Mortars are other barrage weapons that do not require LOS will ignore that rule. The hellhound, however, will not.

Thanks for this! Shame about the hellhound but its manageable.

Question about the random allocation with vehicle explosions though just to make sure I'm following this right as I cannot pick up the rulebook till I get paid again. I have a squad of veterans inside a chimera. My usual setup is a Heavy Flamer, 2 Plasmaguns, and since it will matter, the Sergeant and 6 Lasguns. If the transport explodes, how should I do the random allocation of hits? In the past, I usually hand those wounds off onto the lasguns for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering if there is any examples or methods to follow in the book. The only thing I can think of doing thus far is say I take 4 wounds from the explosion, should I make my opponent roll 2D6 4 times, ignoring 11 and 12, to see which trooper takes the wounds?

Does anyone have a better idea or am I doing/thinking about this wrong?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

Thanks for this! Shame about the hellhound but its manageable.

Question about the random allocation with vehicle explosions though just to make sure I'm following this right as I cannot pick up the rulebook till I get paid again. I have a squad of veterans inside a chimera. My usual setup is a Heavy Flamer, 2 Plasmaguns, and since it will matter, the Sergeant and 6 Lasguns. If the transport explodes, how should I do the random allocation of hits? In the past, I usually hand those wounds off onto the lasguns for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering if there is any examples or methods to follow in the book. The only thing I can think of doing thus far is say I take 4 wounds from the explosion, should I make my opponent roll 2D6 4 times, ignoring 11 and 12, to see which trooper takes the wounds?

Does anyone have a better idea or am I doing/thinking about this wrong?

Assign each member a number and roll a D10.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

2d6 is a terrible idea. You'll never roll a '1' and trooper number 7 will die more often than not. If you haven't got a d10, do this:

Split the squad into two five man groups, A & B. Roll a d6. On a 1-3 take the wound from group A. 4-6 group B. Once you're down to a five man group, roll a second d6, re-rolling 6s, to determine which of the five guys take the wound. Repeat as needed.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

jng2058 posted:

2d6 is a terrible idea. You'll never roll a '1' and trooper number 7 will die more often than not. If you haven't got a d10, do this:

Pacheeco posted:

Assign each member a number and roll a D10.

Thanks guys! I'm working a double on only a few hours of sleep so my brain is not where it needs to be. I guess I have an excuse to find out where my true nerd dice went off to.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Random allocation is terrible. You should totally ignore it and use the old 'just choose who dies' system.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dagon posted:

Open-Topped Transports

Page 173:

Beaten, but with photographic evidence.

Only applies to open-topped too, so no scorching dudes in rhinos I guess.

panascope posted:

Can generic Librarians roll on Divination?

They can now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Moola posted:

Random allocation is terrible. You should totally ignore it and use the old 'just choose who dies' system.

Definitely this.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Imperium forces summoning demons is still so dumb. Narrative my rear end.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Slimnoid posted:

They can now.

Nope, that's only ticked because Tigurius can take Divination. Other librarians have to roll on the other four instead.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

xtothez posted:

Nope, that's only ticked because Tigurius can take Divination. Other librarians have to roll on the other four instead.

So by that logic, Divination is only on CSM because of a single relic in a supplemental codex.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

xtothez posted:

The weird part about this chart is that Inquisition is given access to all of the disciplines, but the Inquisition book only allows Inquisitors to roll on Divination, Pyromancy, or Telekinesis. The Psyker henchmen don't have the option to roll on any of the tables.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
We need the 7th ed FAQs to clear that up. I know GW and all, low optimism, but a lot of things need clarification so they have to release them.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Sp, precision shots. Whats the deal?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Does the Emperor's Benediction make sense now?

Slimnoid posted:

So by that logic, Divination is only on CSM because of a single relic in a supplemental codex.

Seems reasonable. There's no real way to extrapolate rules from that chart otherwise.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sp, precision shots. Whats the deal?

Any model with the Precision Shot rule can allocate wounds as they wish if they roll a 6 to hit.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

I was at a tournament back in November and moved a squad of Guardsmen through dangerous terrain. I rolled dice for the whole squad, and ended up losing three guardsmen. I picked three of the lasgun guardsmen who were in said dangerous terrain. My opponent said that no, it had to be on a model by model basis, and I'd have to roll again. I rolled again, on each individual model in this mob of guardsmen, and rolled three ones. I lost the exact same three lasgun guardsmen and I just glared at my opponent as I picked the models up off the table.

"Just choose who dies" or go home.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Any model with the Precision Shot rule can allocate wounds as they wish if they roll a 6 to hit.

So much for take aim

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
As in it's now a situational thing to have your Guardsman do to Tac squads and not guardsman straight out of Cannon Fodder Weekly somehow being the equivalent of a squad of Eldar snipers with like a thousand years combined experience, yes. It was never going to be 'every model can freely allocate hits' and if you thought it was I don't know what to tell you.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

As in it's now a situational thing to have your Guardsman do to Tac squads and not guardsman straight out of Cannon Fodder Weekly somehow being the equivalent of a squad of Eldar snipers with like a thousand years combined experience, yes. It was never going to be 'every model can freely allocate hits' and if you thought it was I don't know what to tell you.

Can you re-phrase this in English?

Edit:vvvv thanks!

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 24, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

As in, it (the AM order Take Aim) is now a situational thing to have your Guardsman do (do replacing the verb series 'firing under the effects of Take Aim') to Tac squads (a common Space Marine unit that at max size can bunker heavy and special weapons behind chaff models), and not guardsman straight out of Cannon Fodder Weekly (Guardsman are a cheap unit, justifying this with low BS/WS and high model counts; thematically and from a gameplay perspective, it does not make sense for a squad of rookie Guardsman to somehow be better shots than Azrael, a Space Marine captain famed for his accuracy) somehow being the equivalent of a squad of Eldar snipers with like a thousand years combined experience (Illic Nightspear allows you to upgrade a 12 point model to a 25 point model; these models gain the ability to allocate their wounds as they wish). It was never going to be 'every model can freely allocate hits' and if you thought it was I don't know what to tell you.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

As in it's now a situational thing to have your Guardsman do to Tac squads and not guardsman straight out of Cannon Fodder Weekly somehow being the equivalent of a squad of Eldar snipers with like a thousand years combined experience, yes.

I like reading this it sounds good.

I mean it barely makes any sense, but I like reading it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Proof that you are actually a bot?

I rewrote this

It is now situational to have your guardsman be (Good) and not be Cannon Fodder. To think that they would become the equivalent of Eldar Snipers who have thousands of years experience is ridiculous. It was never going to work that way and if you though it was then I do not have any thing to tell you.

Also here is the final list reworked for Chaos Daemons tell me what you guys think. I may have bought some Pink Horrors despite owing several thousand to my JD school this coming fall and need to save I AM A MONSTER :(

HQ
Herald Of Tzeentch (LvL 3 , Exalted Locus of Conjuration)
Herald of Tzeentch ( Lvl 3, Exalted Locus of Conjuration)
Herald of Tzeentch ( LvL 3, Grimiore)
Troops
12 Pink Horrors
12 Pink Horrors
17 Pink Horrors
H. Support
Soul Grinder (Tzeentch, Phlegm)

HQ
Herald Of Tzeentch (LvL 3 )
Herald of Tzeentch ( Lvl 3)
Herald of Tzeentch ( LvL 3)
Troops
12 Pink Horrors
12 Pink Horrors
17 Pink Horrors
H. Support

Fortification
Bastion w/ Void Shield

Total 1993

Total Power Dice = 32 + D6
Total Flicker Fire = 12 : Amount needed to fire all 12 Flicker Fire 46 :
Total Possible amount : 8D6 ST 6 @ BS4 , 40 D6 ST5 @ BS3
Total Summons = 12
Total Actual Rolls on Daemonology = 18 ( You have to take the Primary Power of your God you get automatically so if you want to have summons you have to replace a spell you roll, which will of course be any of the Witchfire)
Oh and it has SoulGrinders.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 24, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
How does wound allocation work for precision shots? If I put two wounds on a model and that model fails its first save, do I lose that extra wound or can it be allocated elsewhere?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Master Twig posted:

How does wound allocation work for precision shots? If I put two wounds on a model and that model fails its first save, do I lose that extra wound or can it be allocated elsewhere?

It seems as though you could allocate the wound elsewhere: the rulebook says you allocate a wound, save against it, and then allocate again [pg 35]. Your precision shot wound pool would be a separate 'wound pool' from the non-precision shot wounds, however.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So shouldn't GW have army book updates and FAQs ready to go for launch day? Am I wrong in thinking this?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'Should' and 'would' are very different things. Ideally yes, but it would not surprise me if the answer they give you is 'forge a narrative experience as best you can with the rules you have!'.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

'Should' and 'would' are very different things. Ideally yes, but it would not surprise me if the answer they give you is 'forge a narrative experience as best you can with the rules you have!'.
When I played my game of 7th, it was Daemons versus Marines. Very cut and dry. I convinced some buddies that showed up to play 7th as well, it would be fun!

They had Grey Knights and Nids. I immediately regretted my suggestion.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

TKIY posted:

So shouldn't GW have army book updates and FAQs ready to go for launch day? Am I wrong in thinking this?

It's a bank holiday weekend here in the UK, so you might have to wait until tuesday. You'll probably have to wait even longer, because reasons.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They limited the magic power dice in Fantasy to 12 for a reason. I'm surprised they don't have the same thing in 40k.

At least they fixed the burning chariot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'd love to hear the reasoning for some of the changes in 7th.

• Locked thread