Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sure it's nice to want the old dub but it's old and busted and not the Samurai Pizza Cats dub.

God, I wish that kind of dub was more common just as an easter egg or something. That's the funnest kind of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Naoko has such a tight leash on things, she has to approve the cosplayers for Viz's AX booth.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Obligatory Toast posted:

*snip*

Also the music is kind of hosed up at points? I don't know how to describe it, but sometimes it sounds like the music track is being passed through a lovely mic. Maybe it's just my TV (I hope it's not my tv :ohdear:).

That's how you know you're watching a Toei show from before 1996.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

She wants Serena. I want lesbians. Hopefully, I'll get some that aren't also cousins.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Well, if they're going to be officially representing the Sailor Moon franchise then I can understand the scrutiny. I look at it as bragging rights that Naoko approved of your cosplay.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wasn't Naoko extremely disappointed with how the original anime went? If so I can understand why she'd be extremely hands-on with Sailor Moon's revival.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

aers posted:

Some exceptions include the dub for Mexico, which used the English dub names with original Japanese surnames ("Serena Tsukino").

They did that in the English dub too, at least when Cloverway took over. I remember Amy answering the phone saying "Anderson residence" in the DiC dub, whereas in one of the later episodes of S when one of the villains announces the names of the characters (I think when they're infiltrating Hotaru's school) they say "Amy Mizuno."

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Wasn't Naoko extremely disappointed with how the original anime went? If so I can understand why she'd be extremely hands-on with Sailor Moon's revival.

I'm not entirely sure, but I do remember she was unhappy about some of the changes Toei made with the first anime adaptation, such as changing the Starlights from crossdressers to magical genderbenders.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

planetarial posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but I do remember she was unhappy about some of the changes Toei made with the first anime adaptation, such as changing the Starlights from crossdressers to magical genderbenders.

I want to say she was behind that one dinosaur episode getting removed from R but that episode was bananas even by Ikuhara's standards.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!

ConanThe3rd posted:

I want to say she was behind that one dinosaur episode getting removed from R but that episode was bananas even by Ikuhara's standards.

Supposedly it's an excuse. The alternate story is that DiC lost the masters, I heard.

Amarie fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 22, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Amarie posted:

Supposedly it's an excuse. The alternate story is that DiC lost the masters, I heard.

Yeah it's probably on DiC but the episode is still bananas

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Amarie posted:

I thought it was Toei screwing it up to keep the Japanese from just importing a cheaper box set.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rudoku posted:

I thought it was Toei screwing it up to keep the Japanese from just importing a cheaper box set.

And the aged quality and the mono sound wouldn't?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Awesome Sailor Moon fanart! :neckbeard:

There's more here.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 22, 2014

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Is it alright to post anime.txt in here? Because, oh boy, here's a doozy:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-23/new-sailor-moon-premiere-event-excludes-men-unless-accompanied-by-women/.74840

quote:

The official website for the 20th anniversary of the Sailor Moon franchise announced on Friday that there will be an advance premiere screening event for the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal anime series. The women's fashion magazine ViVi is collaborating on the June 30 event to celebrate the heroine Usagi's birthday.

The "birthday party" will feature ViVi models and "secret guests." The Zepp Diver City facility in Tokyo will host the screening of the new anime's first episode on June 30 at 7:00 p.m. However, the staff caution that the time is subject to change. Moreover, male attendees will not be allowed — unless accompanied by a female attendee.

Cue:

quote:

What about transsexuals? :rolleyes:

quote:

Not allowing men unless they're accompanied by a woman? I don't know if the publisher of Vivi is trying to say that this is meant to be an exclusive, "ladies only event" but it does come across as being rude. And I'm not even a guy and I feel this way. =_= It would be better to require a dress code than to select attendees based on gender and who they're attending the event with.

quote:

It's great to know most everyone is okay with this, now I can finally open up the cafe I wanted. No blacks unless accompanied by whites, no gays unless accompanied by straights. The name will be "19th Century Taste". :rolleyes:

quote:

quote:

Well let's be honest.

Any male that would be interested isn't getting a date to go with.
Really? Do you speak from personal experience on the subject?

If this is meant as a joke then it, and the others like it, are really not that funny. Har har guys who like more female oriented shows are losers and can't get laid hur hur. So original! If it's serious then it's even less funny. I happen to be a male who very much enjoyed watching the series in its prime and would have liked to go to this given a chance. It's an iconic title. Oh and I do happen to have a gf and have had this one for 4 years now. Had a few before her too.

As for the actual topic at hand I don't have a problem with it. As Zac pointed out this is a promotional event. At such events they want certain people there to give the event the type of publicity they're going for. It's much different then saying that ALL theater showings are female only unless the guy is a +1. That would be totally different.

Of course, the real reason is this

quote:

This is a promotional event and they want demographic-appropriate optics. It's designed to make sure there aren't a bunch of photos of the Sailor Moon premiere where it's completely flooded with male otaku.

You'll find similar policies at events run by fashion magazines all over the world, but instead of outright stating "no dudes" they simply make it invitation-only and only invite wealthy women, models and their +1s.

It's just business. The PR company is told "we want these optics at the event" and so they make sure the crowd is camera-friendly.
This is a fashion event. Obviously, they want to limit sales of tickets to those who will actually buy the product.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Rudoku posted:

I thought by the time those came out, Japan already released their own DVDs in much better quality while Geneon had to use the old original masters?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

This is a fashion event. Obviously, they want to limit sales of tickets to those who will actually buy the product.

Yeah, here's what I posted elsewhere on it.

quote:

Here's the official flier announcing the event.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoSKUjrIYAIcE_H.jpg

It's titled "Usagi's Birthday Party in Special ViVi Night". The fact that they're premiering episode 1 of Crystal there is mentioned off to the side in the top right. The important thing here is the ViVi Night part. ViVi, a women's fashion magazine, is hosting this event. They host a lot of events labeled ViVi Night throughout the year in different areas - here's the main one in Tokyo, for example http://vivi.tv/vivinight/201402/ In the past few years, they started adding a similar clause about attendance requirements to all their events. I don't know the reason but a friend who follows ViVi stuff said it might be related to nanpa ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanpa ) culture. Basically? This restriction has nothing to do with it being Sailor Moon, and everything to do with it being a ViVi event.

This isn't really a "Crystal Pre-Screening Event", its a ViVi fashion night event, with models, guest performances, and other such things, celebrating Usagi's birthday. The Crystal screening is just another part of the whole thing.

ANN went with a pretty sensationalist article title but that isn't anything new for them.

There's some pretty funny posts over on the reddit anime board about them "marginalizing their biggest demographic" and, for lack of something better, lol.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So what I'm getting from that nanpa article is that Japan is cracking down on their version of PUA? That just makes the whole thing even more hilarious.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I got the feeling from all this that the magazine said "Females only" and someone on the SMC Production staff / Takeuchi herself said "Allow Male with consort."

Totaly fine by me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 23, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm okay with this, for a variety of fun and exciting reasons!

1)It's in Japan. Uh, yeah, wasn't gonna happen for me anyway.

2)It makes sense to me. Even though I do think Sailor Moon's intended audience is female, it's irrelevant since it's a private event held by a company that is allowed to be particular about its guest list. So, there's not even any room for social justice arguments. Which leads me to my next point...

3)Internet SJW tears. Even when I agree with whatever cause they're representing, they're so wound up about everything that I'd rather not associate with them. Getting to sit back and watch them whine though, bust out some motherfucking popcorn, y'all.:munch:

I'm still trying to avoid getting hyped up about this show, but I've been enjoying the idea of new Sailor Moon more and more. Can't wait to see how all the SAILOR SCOUTZ die at the end of this new arc to give Sailor Moon her super duper mega power, whatever it is.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

3)Internet SJW tears. Even when I agree with whatever cause they're representing, they're so wound up about everything that I'd rather not associate with them. Getting to sit back and watch them whine though, bust out some motherfucking popcorn, y'all.:munch:

Blame MRAs, because they're the ones who are whining.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MagicalDuck posted:

Blame MRAs, because they're the ones who are whining.

Guess I kinda just lumped them all in under one umbrella.

Place your bets now, though: will every Tuxedo Mask appearance be vanilla, or will he disguise himself again?:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-aJydUZd0

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It would be nice to see Mamoru be a bit more prominent.

It's been ages since I looked at the comics, wasn't he basically a wizard?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Darian x Raye OTP qtiyd

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gearhead posted:

It would be nice to see Mamoru be a bit more prominent.

It's been ages since I looked at the comics, wasn't he basically a wizard?

I think he does even less in the comics, he doesn't even throw roses.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a kitten posted:

I think he does even less in the comics, he doesn't even throw roses.

The thought of going through a whole Sailor Moon series without a single thrown rose brings loving tears to my eyes. I'm not capable of handling that life.:qq:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

a kitten posted:

he doesn't even throw roses.

Instead he gets a cool energy attack, light ESP and healing powers.

Hopefully Crystal will be best of both worlds, with him doing the rose thing in the first season and then giving him Tuxedo la Smoking Bomber in the second (assuming it gets a second).

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 24, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

He throws roses in every single adaptation there will be roses in Crystal Naoko loves roses.

Roses.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

aers posted:

He throws roses in every single adaptation there will be roses in Crystal Naoko loves roses.

Roses.

The return of a certain Rose Bride perhaps? :v:

One thing I've been wondering, is Crystal a retelling of the story or a continuation of it?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Postal Parcel posted:

The return of a certain Rose Bride perhaps? :v:

One thing I've been wondering, is Crystal a retelling of the story or a continuation of it?

It's supposed to be exactly like the manga.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Shinjobi posted:

The thought of going through a whole Sailor Moon series without a single thrown rose brings loving tears to my eyes. I'm not capable of handling that life.:qq:

This comment reminds me of this macro. The rose is essential - it distracts the Monster of the Week so Sailor Moon can use her tiara and/or magic healing wand.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

All I remember about Tuxedo Mask is that Sailor Moon and co usually get their asses kicked for no reason, then Tuxedo Mask shows and says "use your finishing move, Sailor Moon!" and then she did. I don't even remember him doing anything other than that.

Didn't Naoko at one point say that she feels all Sailor Moon adaptions are made from a male sorta point of view and that's part of the reason Tuxedo Mask gets a bigger role than the one he's got in the manga? I for one am excited for a roseless Mask.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

a cartoon duck posted:

All I remember about Tuxedo Mask is that Sailor Moon and co usually get their asses kicked for no reason, then Tuxedo Mask shows and says "use your finishing move, Sailor Moon!" and then she did. I don't even remember him doing anything other than that.

Didn't Naoko at one point say that she feels all Sailor Moon adaptions are made from a male sorta point of view and that's part of the reason Tuxedo Mask gets a bigger role than the one he's got in the manga? I for one am excited for a roseless Mask.

Yeah it always rubbed me the wrong way about how a show about fighting women has them be usually useless until a man shows up to give them a flower and validate their worth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah it always rubbed me the wrong way about how a show about fighting women has them be usually useless until a man shows up to give them a flower and validate their worth.

And then Damien lays some sweet negs on that meatball head. I feel gross for saying that.

Then again, if I remember right, everyone kinda shat on Usagi. She was kind of a fuckup, at least in the beginning.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

And then Damien lays some sweet negs on that meatball head. I feel gross for saying that.

Then again, if I remember right, everyone kinda shat on Usagi. She was kind of a fuckup, at least in the beginning.

I can't really blame her too much for that in the beginning, at least as Sailor Moon. Luna pretty much shoved her into fights with almost nothing to fight with, no real strategy, and no training.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, even outside of being Sailor Moon, she was kind of a lazy slob.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I can't really blame her too much for that in the beginning, at least as Sailor Moon. Luna pretty much shoved her into fights with almost nothing to fight with, no real strategy, and no training.

She had a very robust training regimen, tyvm. :colbert:

e:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's always been the series's neatest quality. Usagi is clumsy, dumb, petty, jealous, and overall a turd of a person a majority of the time. Blah blah blah power of friendship she gets serious etc, but there are still some absolutely Seinfeld-esque moments for her throughout the anime. It's great, since it's nearly a Cinderella story where one of Cinderella's sisters gets the glass show.

Usagi is far from perfect, and it just makes all the non-magical girl stuff in the series magic in their own way.:allears:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/470335584775319552

CR got the license, saved from the tyranny of Nicovideo.

Their day is wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

aers posted:

https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/470335584775319552

CR got the license, saved from the tyranny of Nicovideo.

Their day is wrong though.

Well that's good news, CR is way more convenient to watch on my TV.

• Locked thread