Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Shima Honnou posted:

He doesn't need to cut his hair.

He needs to put it in a ponytail. Now that'll make him look douchey.

He needs a topknot.

THAT will cement his doucheyness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So do any of these multiple stories on a few different sites about executives wanting Vince to step down and Vince being about to put management from top to bottom on the chopping block have any merit or is it just multiple sites floating predictions and bullshit? Seems to be stories popping up daily after all the stock panic.

One even said 'WWE Officials' are calling for Vince to kill the network which sounds like bullshit but they didn't come from the usual copy paste newz sites so who knows. Must be a tense time at WWE HQ regardless.

The groups that want Vince to step aside and sell are major stockholders (well, as major as you can get with WWE stock since the vast majority is McMahon held.) I haven't seen any credible sources reporting anyone inside of WWE management is trying to get Vince to step aside or anything about the Network. They've spent over 100 million on the network to this point, no sane person in the company is calling for it to be killed after 3 months.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So do any of these multiple stories on a few different sites about executives wanting Vince to step down and Vince being about to put management from top to bottom on the chopping block have any merit or is it just multiple sites floating predictions and bullshit? Seems to be stories popping up daily after all the stock panic.

One even said 'WWE Officials' are calling for Vince to kill the network which sounds like bullshit but they didn't come from the usual copy paste newz sites so who knows. Must be a tense time at WWE HQ regardless.

I don't think it matters because I'm pretty sure vince would rather single handedly destroy his own company than sell it to anyone else.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

The_Rob posted:

I don't think it matters because I'm pretty sure vince would rather single handedly destroy his own company than sell it to anyone else.

"I'M GOING TO INJECT THE WWE WITH A LETHAL DOSE OF POISON!!"

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I think they missed out with not making Adam Rose's theme Turn Up The Radio. Same gimmick to it, hype as poo poo, and the crowd could easily chant the name of the song when it is sung. It even sounds like a wrestlers theme.

I really don't like his theme. I don't like most wrestler themes.

Except Paige's. Hers rules.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Please come back interesting R-Truth.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I don't think Bo will be able to get over. This heel who thinks he's a face might work with super tiny smarky crowds like NXT, but I don't see it working on the big stage.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
If they dedicated loads of time to him working it with the crowd, it might work. Heavy promo slots, backstage interviews and some staged runins with people in the back. But with the time a wrestler is usually given, yeah, I see him dead in the water in about a year.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Burt Buckle posted:

I don't think Bo will be able to get over. This heel who thinks he's a face might work with super tiny smarky crowds like NXT, but I don't see it working on the big stage.

says the guy with a kurt angle avatar

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaponX posted:

says the guy with a kurt angle avatar

What does that have to do with anything? Kurt Angle was a world class athlete, a generational talent in the ring and a pretty good promo on top of that. They have somewhat similar gimmicks but Angle had all the talent in the world to make it work, and his Olympic pedigree to sell it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

Please come back interesting R-Truth.

I want to love R-Truth because I know he can do this poo poo, but instead I merely like him because Creative isn't letting him run wild.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

What does that have to do with anything? Kurt Angle was a world class athlete, a generational talent in the ring and a pretty good promo on top of that. They have somewhat similar gimmicks but Angle had all the talent in the world to make it work, and his Olympic pedigree to sell it.

thanks for the information but it is still dumb to say that an old and popular gimmick won't work when it has before and similar gimmicks can work on different people at very different talent levels, this isn't anything new.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 25, 2014

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

WeaponX posted:

thanks for the information but it is still dumb to say that an old and popular gimmick won't work when it has before and similar gimmicks can work on different people at very different talent levels, this isn't anything new.

Did Angle debut as a heel who thought he was a face? I wasn't watching wrestling at the time. I really think they are putting Bo on Smackdown because they'll need to pipe in the right reactions.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Burt Buckle posted:

Did Angle debut as a heel who thought he was a face? I wasn't watching wrestling at the time. I really think they are putting Bo on Smackdown because they'll need to pipe in the right reactions.

yeah check some of it out it's very good stuff. especially when he would drop to his knees and cry like he won another gold medal after beating jobbers.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Burt Buckle posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I remember him being more condescending and overtly heelish than Bo, though.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

He was actually a legit face against Tiger Ali Singh's anti American heel character on Heat at the very beginning of his career, but he was a heel by the time he debuted on Raw.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The groups that want Vince to step aside and sell are major stockholders (well, as major as you can get with WWE stock since the vast majority is McMahon held.) I haven't seen any credible sources reporting anyone inside of WWE management is trying to get Vince to step aside or anything about the Network. They've spent over 100 million on the network to this point, no sane person in the company is calling for it to be killed after 3 months.

Figured it was probably unconfirmed clickbait bullshit, appreciate the answer.

The_Rob posted:

This was one of my first thoughts when I saw them start popping up - the notion of anyone telling notorious control freak Vince to step down is sorta funny in it's own right. He'd drive the stock down to zero and fire everyone before that happened.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Burt Buckle posted:

Yeah, he started off doing matches that relied heavily on amateur and chain wrestling moves which annoyed the crowd that wanted rasslin' and then got on the mike yelling at them for booing him since he was an Olympic gold medalist.

Then he started wandering to the ring during other people's matches and berating the crowd for liking dudes like Gangrel more than him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Well Gangrel was kinda rad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gatts posted:

Gangrel should have had a nice run with the IC title at some point. He wasn't main event material, but he was over, and could have been a good mid-card guy for longer than they kept him around.

Also Val Venis should have been given a god drat record setting IC title run because he was awesome and they never used him as well as they should have.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Gatts posted:

It was great

"This is what you like? This man is a vampire! And her...?"

*Points at Luna*

"I don't even know what she's supposed to be!"

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Retromancer posted:

That's why he's in WWE. you can't buy heat like that.

Bo Dallas makes me want to not watch, not boo. I don't want to see him get beat, I want to not see him.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Then I saw his face, now I'm no bo-liever.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

TheJoker138 posted:

Gangrel should have had a nice run with the IC title at some point. He wasn't main event material, but he was over, and could have been a good mid-card guy for longer than they kept him around.

See if you can find the brood promo from the debut episode of Smackdown. It was absolutely awful with Gangrel having to talk around his fake vampire fangs and it completely killed their gimmick.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retromancer posted:

See if you can find the brood promo from the debut episode of Smackdown. It was absolutely awful with Gangrel having to talk around his fake vampire fangs and it completely killed their gimmick.

He should have never, ever talked. None of them should have while in the Brood. I remember their promos, and specifically Edge spouting a bunch of nonsense about "the freaks coming out at night" or something. If they needed promo work done they should have been given a manager.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Another Person posted:

I think they missed out with not making Adam Rose's theme Turn Up The Radio. Same gimmick to it, hype as poo poo, and the crowd could easily chant the name of the song when it is sung. It even sounds like a wrestlers theme.

Just in time, too. Autograph reunited last year for some reason.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Is Payback tomorrow? or is it next Sunday. I honestly can't remember. The build has been so goddamn terrible for this show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Rob posted:

Is Payback tomorrow? or is it next Sunday. I honestly can't remember. The build has been so goddamn terrible for this show.

Next Sunday.

You're right though, it has been an awful build.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sticklefifer posted:

Someone keeps giving him chances though. He was FCW champ for a long time, the top face in FCW for longer, NXT main eventer for a long time, got a Rumble appearance and mini-feud with Wade (which got blown off on NXT because he just didn't catch on at all), a lengthy NXT championship reign, and now a second call up. I know IRS is a road agent but someone with more clout than him has got to be really high on Bo because they're pretty determined to make him a thing.

I really wish he'd cut his awful stringy hair. An even douchier haircut would sell the gimmick that much more, and also make him look a bit more different than Bray.

Stephanie McMahon thinks he's "attractive to women".

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gatts posted:

He was! Unfortunately, I think the biggest problem with Gangrel is that he was never as cool as his own entrance music.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I genuinely enjoy Bo Dallas' gimmick and I hope he can embrace it to the same extent that his brother embraced his weird gimmick. There don't seem to be many midcard heels who get on the mic and really piss the entire crowd off at the moment, so if he gets to do that, I think I will enjoy it.

Gangrel was awesome because the Impaler DDT is cool and he sort of looked like he was floating or something when he ran the ropes. I think he took really long steps, maybe. There's just something weird about the way he does it. Also, he did lots of moves that you never seem to see anymore. Like the tiger suplex and a cool sitout double underhook powerbomb thing. Maybe they're hard to do safely?

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 25, 2014

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Memento posted:

There is one woman in the nxt crowd who marks out like crazy for him...

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The only thing that annoyed me with bo was him going back to the yeah baby shake thing after a move too many times. But my god the whole shake hands thing and telling fake cara to believe in himself was gold and this whole thing has potential to be a nice mid card fit.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Memento posted:

Haha, what? Also, Angle was the best. Definitely my favorite performer during that time period. He knew how to work a crowd and was an amazing in ring performer. It's a shame he went to TNA instead of taking some time off so he could come back to WWE.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Those people a page or two ago saying Undertaker won't wrestle again can go hump themselves. If he didn't retire right away, there's going to be a retirement match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kurt Angle must have been special to get WWE to go "No, we don't want to race you into the ground and shoot you, take some time off instead." The very idea must have ripped Vince's brain asunder.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DeathChicken posted:

Kurt Angle must have been special to get WWE to go "No, we don't want to race you into the ground and shoot you, take some time off instead." The very idea must have ripped Vince's brain asunder.

Nobody in the WWE wanted to have "Olympic Gold Medalist died in the ring"

Originally they just tried to force Kurt to take a ground pounder style, where he would just basically go full MMA Wrestler. But Kurt didn't like that, so... the story gets muddled. Kurt says (as of recently) that he asked for his release and Vince granted it with no strings attached. Official line from the WWE is they released him to go heal up.

Week later or so, shows up in TNA.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Onmi posted:

Nobody in the WWE wanted to have "Olympic Gold Medalist died in the ring"

Originally they just tried to force Kurt to take a ground pounder style, where he would just basically go full MMA Wrestler. But Kurt didn't like that, so... the story gets muddled. Kurt says (as of recently) that he asked for his release and Vince granted it with no strings attached. Official line from the WWE is they released him to go heal up.

Week later or so, shows up in TNA.

Yeah, I'm sure they eventually saw it as an inevitability. The guy just does not know how to slow down and take it easy.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Monkeycheese posted:

Bo Dallas makes me want to not watch, not boo. I don't want to see him get beat, I want to not see him.

Exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

WeaponX posted:

yeah check some of it out it's very good stuff. especially when he would drop to his knees and cry like he won another gold medal after beating jobbers.

"OH COME ON HE'S A VAMPIRE YOU HAVE TO CHEER ME!"

• Locked thread