Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I'm about to pick up the refurbished 15" late 2013 rMBP I ordered. I haven't seen anything in this thread lately, but should I be worried about problems with the display? Or, should I act like a total nerd and run image retention tests while I'm still in the store and identify the panel manufacturer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do whatever you want if it makes you happy. Both of my late-2013 15" rMBPs (one refurbished) did not display imagine retention issues.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Pomale posted:

Could anybody recommend a Mac-compatible print server with at least 3 USB ports?

You could try an a Airport Express with a powered hub. The printers should work via bonjour which is about as easy as it gets. Curious if an older model Airport express would work - probably.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Does the Retina Pro support 1440p via HDMI yet? I remember reading that it only did via DisplayPort but can't remember if I saw it in this thread or not.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

I just ordered a 27'' iMac.

I thought I heard something about boot camp not being supported by newer models, is this true?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Does the Retina Pro support 1440p via HDMI yet? I remember reading that it only did via DisplayPort but can't remember if I saw it in this thread or not.

From the support page:

HDMI video output
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Forbin5 posted:

I just ordered a 27'' iMac.

I thought I heard something about boot camp not being supported by newer models, is this true?

Support page says they still support boot camp but not 32-bit OSes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

FCKGW posted:

From the support page:

HDMI video output
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

Yeah I saw this but then I read in multiple places that it's not actually true and that 2560 x 1440 is disabled when you plug it in via HDMI.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Yeah I saw this but then I read in multiple places that it's not actually true and that 2560 x 1440 is disabled when you plug it in via HDMI.

It was always true (2560x1440 isn't on that list, which basically says "monitors up to 1080p and limited support for 4k"), but they did expand support for higher-resolution displays over HDMI in 10.9.3. It should work now.

Keep in mind that if you're using one of the inexpensive generic Korean 27" 1440p imports, they usually won't run native resolution over anything but dual-link DVI. Plenty of people have bought the HDMI input ones and found out that the HDMI input runs to a cheap scaler that maxes out at 1080p.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Space Gopher posted:

It was always true (2560x1440 isn't on that list, which basically says "monitors up to 1080p and limited support for 4k"), but they did expand support for higher-resolution displays over HDMI in 10.9.3. It should work now.

Keep in mind that if you're using one of the inexpensive generic Korean 27" 1440p imports, they usually won't run native resolution over anything but dual-link DVI. Plenty of people have bought the HDMI input ones and found out that the HDMI input runs to a cheap scaler that maxes out at 1080p.

I have an Asus PB278Q which has HDMI 1.4 so I'm guessing I should be good. Thanks!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is it still the collective thread wisdom to get AppleCare - even on the machines with no moving parts (retina MBPs, etc)? It's saved me in the past, but almost entirely on things like broken disc drives, etc. Deciding whether my imminently-purchased rMBP should have it or not...

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

That's the funny thing about AppleCare. I've always bought it and never had to use it. I'm sure if I didn't buy it, I'd likely have something catastrophic happen. I never buy warranties for other electronics though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lexicon posted:

Is it still the collective thread wisdom to get AppleCare - even on the machines with no moving parts (retina MBPs, etc)? It's saved me in the past, but almost entirely on things like broken disc drives, etc. Deciding whether my imminently-purchased rMBP should have it or not...

It's a no brainer for my phone and I'll always get it for that. I'm leaning toward skipping it for my next iPad though and any Mac purchases in the future. I'm also the guy who owns electronics for 4-5 years and they still look like they're fresh out of the box. For more normal use cases it seems like a good investment.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Lexicon posted:

Keep in mind you have a year to purchase it from the purchase date of your rMBP. I always get it on my phone, but for my newest rMBP which won't leave my desk or couch, I'll probably skip it. I'd rather just put that cash towards a newer model in 2 years.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I'd rather just put that cash towards a newer model in 2 years.

Yeah. This was my thinking also. And since I'm not going for the ultra balls-out configuration, I'll probably want to upgrade in 2-3 years anyway (if only to get more storage at a reasonable price)

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I bought AppleCare for the rMBP I picked up a few days ago and was compelled to buy it due to the inability to replace things like RAM and the SSD myself. I bought it for my 2009 MBP and it used it four times (until I was given a mid 2010 MBP) for things like broken hard drives, a spotty screen, broken keys, a rattling fan, etc. Any advice you'll get about AppleCare will be anecdotal but I'd recommend it for the rMBP, especially a 15". Don't forget about the education discount on AppleCare (if you're eligible for it).

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Lexicon posted:

Yeah. This was my thinking also. And since I'm not going for the ultra balls-out configuration, I'll probably want to upgrade in 2-3 years anyway (if only to get more storage at a reasonable price)

What will have improved so dramatically in 2-3 years that you'll want a new computer? The display on my new computer has blown me away and was far and away the biggest thing that got me to upgrade from my old computer. Get a NAS for storage.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

AppleCare on my multiple Macbook Pros has been *very* useful for me. I never get it for my phone though and so far nothing bad has happened (nothing that would have been covered, anyway).

Regarding the Macbook Pro, for example once I spilled juice on it. The computer worked but the keyboard and trackpad didn't. I paid $400 to replace the top case and they promised me that my AppleCare is back in full effect. A few months later my motherboard died, would have been a $1200 repair, got it done free.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

gnrk posted:

What will have improved so dramatically in 2-3 years that you'll want a new computer? The display on my new computer has blown me away and was far and away the biggest thing that got me to upgrade from my old computer. Get a NAS for storage.

NASs are great, but I still like having my entire photo library, multiple VMs, etc on my primary machine.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

gnrk posted:

What will have improved so dramatically in 2-3 years

Nothing dramatically, but the cheapest model computers will have a handful of small upgrades that make the "save for an upgrade versus AppleCare" argument somewhat viable. It's really a matter of personal preference. I'll likely buy Apple Care before my chance expires on my newest machine, but I didn't last time cause it was a $999 Microcenter sale machine (which lasted me 4 years, and was probably the best grand I've spent on tech ever).

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 25, 2014

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

I just bought a new iMac with no apple care.
BRING IT WORLD.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I've never bought AppleCare. At this point even if my next computer has some catastrophic failure I still will have saved money.

My feeling is that Apple offers AppleCare because it makes them money, so it has to be inherently a bad deal for the consumer. It can be useful if a major repair would be a serious problem financially, but if you can afford a repair like that, you are unlikely to save money in the long run by buying AppleCare.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ LOL you could naively make that argument about any transaction ever. X sells Y, so Y must be a bad deal for any customer of X.

From an economic POV, transactions happen if and only if each side values the thing they give up less than what they receive.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

ShadeofBlue posted:

I've never bought AppleCare. At this point even if my next computer has some catastrophic failure I still will have saved money.

My feeling is that Apple offers AppleCare because it makes them money, so it has to be inherently a bad deal for the consumer. It can be useful if a major repair would be a serious problem financially, but if you can afford a repair like that, you are unlikely to save money in the long run by buying AppleCare.

buy apple poo poo with a student discount, blammo, $50 applecare forever (or somewhere in the <$100 margin).

you get a student discount if you have a working college email, you don't even need a card.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Keep in mind the rMBP is the most expensive machine to fix. SSDs are way more expensive then their moving counterparts, and if your ram goes bad on a rMBP your getting a whole new logic board. The displays are also crazy expensive.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Keep in mind the rMBP is the most expensive machine to fix. SSDs are way more expensive then their moving counterparts, and if your ram goes bad on a rMBP your getting a whole new logic board. The displays are also crazy expensive.

True. I've got a year anyway, so I'll punt on the decision regardless for now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lexicon posted:

^ LOL you could naively make that argument about any transaction ever. X sells Y, so Y must be a bad deal for any customer of X.

From an economic POV, transactions happen if and only if each side values the thing they give up less than what they receive.

I suppose in your bizarro world all customers know the true value of everything they buy? Capitalism is not magic, people get sold poo poo they don't need all the time.

The average customer has imperfect or no knowledge of the bathtub curve, whereas the average manufacturer is intimately familiar. Failure rates are highest when electronic components are young. After the manufacturing defects get weeded out of the population (by failing), failure rate drops steeply and bottoms out for an extended period of time. Later, after many years, it gradually begins to rise again as things begin to wear out. It's called a "bathtub curve" because if you plot failure rate on Y and time on X, it looks like the cross-section of a bathtub.

The basic 1 year Apple warranty covers the infant mortality part of the bathtub curve, and the beginning of the long, flat, low failure rate section. Buying AppleCare extends your coverage... over more of the low failure rate section. It's a cheap period of time for Apple to cover. So cheap that if you buy electronics with a credit card, you often get free extended warranty from the bank, because it's a cheap benefit for them to offer. Mine automatically doubles factory warranties of 1 year or less.

IMO, on average, it's a dubious value. There are bound to be exceptions, especially with portable devices and people who handle them roughly. Personally I'm another of those "it looks nigh perfect after 5 years" assholes, I've never bought AppleCare, and I've never been burned by not having it. (I have needed the 1 year warranty several times though.)

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Your argument makes no sense. I buy a computer because it performs useful tasks for me. Literally the only thing that AppleCare buys you is the possibility of saving money in the future, and on average, I don't see how it possibly could do that. Thus, the only benefit is to avoid large, unexpected expenses. If you can afford those, then you will save money by not buying AppleCare.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I feel like talking about whether or not I feel I need Applecare and if or if not I've purchased it is tempting Murphy's Law a little too much.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't have a moment of AppleCare saving my rear end with my MacBook. I can believe that when you're in the low part of the bathtub curve, it's probably your fault when something goes wrong on your computer. Then AppleCare is no good to you because it doesn't cover accidental damage etc.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I've only had 1 hardware failure and it was in the first 90 days (an HTC One).

I bought applecare.

I hate money. :q:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

Your argument makes no sense. I buy a computer because it performs useful tasks for me. Literally the only thing that AppleCare buys you is the possibility of saving money in the future, and on average, I don't see how it possibly could do that. Thus, the only benefit is to avoid large, unexpected expenses. If you can afford those, then you will save money by not buying AppleCare.

It's a form of insurance. You're buying the option of free maintenance. At $1, most people would agree this is worth the money. At $10000 most people wouldn't. Everyone has a threshold somewhere between as to whether the value of the insurance justifies the price.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It buys you the peace of mind that goes with not having to treat your phone like a priceless jewel.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

The cost of repairs carried out under applecare on my last macbook probably got close to the value of the machine itself (1 logic board, 2 screens, 1 optical drive, 1 charger, 1 fan), and then I came back 5 years after purchasing it to get another logic board replacement under UK consumer law :v:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

It buys you the peace of mind that goes with not having to treat your phone like a priceless jewel.

AppleCare+ is different, though, because it lets you get a replacement for $50(?) AppleCare is not insurance. It's an extended warranty.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had AppleCare with my last 3 laptops because I bought them through the education stores and it's bundled along with a nice discount. I've never had to claim on it though, so I probably wouldn't bother buying it if I ever needed to pay for it myself.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

The cost of repairs carried out under applecare on my last macbook probably got close to the value of the machine itself (1 logic board, 2 screens, 1 optical drive, 1 charger, 1 fan), and then I came back 5 years after purchasing it to get another logic board replacement under UK consumer law :v:

Unless you had a higher end model, those parts probably did cost more than you paid for the machine.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

awesome-express posted:

buy apple poo poo with a student discount, blammo, $50 applecare forever (or somewhere in the <$100 margin).

you get a student discount if you have a working college email, you don't even need a card.

AppleCare has different prices for different products. Getting it on an rMBP from the education store is $239.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

AppleCare has different prices for different products. Getting it on an rMBP from the education store is $239.

That's the 15". The 13" is $183.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Kingnothing posted:

The 13" is $183.

I got it for $176 from B&H :)

Lesson here is always buy applecare from B&H