Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

I have a TimeFactor for sale if you're interested in buying one.
Very interested, but I don't have the money for it at the moment. Just curious, how much do you have it listed for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I don't have a DL4 but since they're under discussion, JHS offer some mods that might be of interest to people who want complicated delay stuff. They also replace the switches with more durable ones, but it sounds like there are some pretty chintzy internal components as well.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Whats a cheap pedal (under $200 but preferably around like $100) to make some crazy noise. Is there any merit to the feedback pedals? the fender runaway looked pretty fun. I want a crazy sound to try to reign in and master Unfortunately I can't turn my amp loud enough. I like the fuzz factories noise too, I am considering just getting one of those but I just bought a twosome and don't need another fuzz (I suppose I wouldn't be using it like a fuzz.) I have thought about getting a delay and using some super quick slapback to fatten up my sound and hopefully increase feedbacky sounds but I was unhappy with the carbon copy. Even at lowest settings the sound sounded too much like an echo and less like a stutter. Maybe its the analog warmth? What about feedback loop pedals?

Any other cool recommendations for a cheap noise box?
E: $200 if its a viable pedal to be used other than nooise. For a pure noisebox under $100

philkop fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 21, 2014

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
E: not sure what happened here.

philkop fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2014

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Harmonizer pedals like the Boss PS series can produce some strange noises if you set them to one key and play in another, or detune your guitar slightly so that the pedal "hunts" for the right pitch. Older models can be found pretty cheap, and the Boss series at least have several modes so you can use them as a simple octave pedal or chorus type thing if you're not in the mood for circuit-bent sounding glitches.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Feedback loops are incredibly easy to make and super cheap. Would also compliment any other noisy pedals you would want to buy.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Harmonizer pedals like the Boss PS series can produce some strange noises if you set them to one key and play in another, or detune your guitar slightly so that the pedal "hunts" for the right pitch. Older models can be found pretty cheap, and the Boss series at least have several modes so you can use them as a simple octave pedal or chorus type thing if you're not in the mood for circuit-bent sounding glitches.

Good suggestion, I'm sure I can find one cheap too! Worst case I can always play my iron lung all of the time.

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Feedback loops are incredibly easy to make and super cheap. Would also compliment any other noisy pedals you would want to buy.

I've never thought about making one! It doesn't look too crazy.

Any builders here? How crazy would something like this be for a guy who has only wired guitar pickups and selectors before?
http://www.3pdt.com/products/fuzz-factory-kit

I mean its not like I can destroy it right? And even if its only like $40

philkop fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 21, 2014

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

This is a neat and cheap thing you can do with any wah and guitar with passive electronics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtZDszk3S3Y

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

philkop posted:

Good suggestion, I'm sure I can find one cheap too! Worst case I can always play my iron lung all of the time.

I've never thought about making one! It doesn't look too crazy.

Any builders here? How crazy would something like this be for a guy who has only wired guitar pickups and selectors before?

Its super easy and is really hard to gently caress up.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

philkop posted:

E: $200 if its a viable pedal to be used other than nooise. For a pure noisebox under $100

DOD Death Metal. Noise dudes have been using them for years as an oscillator.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Ferrous Wheel posted:

This is a neat and cheap thing you can do with any wah and guitar with passive electronics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtZDszk3S3Y

Whoa, I literally WTFed aloud. I'm surprised I've never seen this before!

comes along bort posted:

DOD Death Metal. Noise dudes have been using them for years as an oscillator.

Going on the list, especially since I can pick one up super cheap. I always steered clear of these since they seemed so against anything I was going for

E: Thanks everyone, its looking like my girlfriend is going to have a really lovely week coming up, and in the end is that not why we first picked up the guitar?

E again:

One thing I have fun with is using my tuner metronome (any tuner with a sound back feature) and running the sound back note through my setup. Super cheap and easy synthtar.

philkop fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 21, 2014

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I have an Alesis Midiverb II that I have had for a long time, and I love it. Thing is, I know nothing about MIDI-controlled rack effects. What kind of pedal (cheaper the better) could I get to control it? Simple patch switching and on/off is all I need.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Very interested, but I don't have the money for it at the moment. Just curious, how much do you have it listed for?

I'd do it for $275 shipped.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
All this Moog chat (MF Delay gets delivered today!) has me thinking about alternate expression pedal options, and now I'm just wondering if anything like this already exists. It would be a standalone pedal that outputs EXP voltage and plugs into any pedal with expression pedal input. Instead of controlling with your foot, though, it would have a couple different options:

1) LFO style, where the voltage is controlled by sine, square, s+h waves, etc.
2) Envelope generator, where you could set ADSR & have the envelope triggered by the guitar (or whatever) signal

So for example you could plug the pedal into the MF delay and have the delay time changing in a sine wave pattern. Or have the speed on a tremolo pedal fade up slowly when you play a chord before gradually slowing back down. I know I've seen some pedals with options like this built-in (like the speed changing tremolo) but it would be interesting to play around with those options with any device that can use an expression pedal already. I'm no engineer, though, so I have no clue how feasible it would be.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd do it for $275 shipped.
Goddamn, that's tempting. If I get the money anytime soon, I will gladly buy that from you if you've still got it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Goddamn, that's tempting. If I get the money anytime soon, I will gladly buy that from you if you've still got it.

For sure, if you get the money just PM me, if not no biggie. :)

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

philkop posted:

Agreed it would be insanely easy to build. You can definitely do it. The only issue I would see is that its a germanium fuzz, and even if you build it perfectly, the end product is a very finicky and tempermental pedal which sounds different in every room every different day. Don't get me wrong I love the germanium fuzz face I made, but I would say maybe start with a circuit where every single time you plug it in, it reminds you of how awesome your first project went.

Then make the germanium fuzz. Its only 35 bucks.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

uncle spero posted:

Agreed it would be insanely easy to build. You can definitely do it. The only issue I would see is that its a germanium fuzz, and even if you build it perfectly, the end product is a very finicky and tempermental pedal which sounds different in every room every different day. Don't get me wrong I love the germanium fuzz face I made, but I would say maybe start with a circuit where every single time you plug it in, it reminds you of how awesome your first project went.

Then make the germanium fuzz. Its only 35 bucks.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I didn't know germanium could be so finicky. Is there a better thread for this kind of stuff?
I might actually wet my whistle with a ross compressor clone. I don't own a a comp yet so it would be cool to get a different tone.

I am in the middle of a move so I haven't been to build much but I am going to get that feedback looper going first. About the feedback loopers: they seem to want to work with a pedal, would there be way I can literally loop the outgoing audio back into the input (well I guess this is a delay pedal) for like an infinite sustain kind of sound? The feedback loop seems so drat though easy I will make one just for the hell of it, but an infinite sustain pedal would be great. (That's probably like the holy grail for any pedal manufacturer though.)

I have been getting serious about practicing guitar over the last few months (after dicking around for 15 years.) I am studying a lot of jazz improv stuff and honestly when practice is over I am so spent my guitar just wants to spew its guts out through my amp. Hence my thirst for some noisy pedals. Its nice to take a break and get back to where it all began, just being a caveman banging rocks together because it sounds cool.

About making pedals and stuff, I have a cheap $7 soldering iron that just plugs into the wall. It is a soldering iron though (not a wood burner) and it does melt solder. I see a lot of guys with those variable temperature rigs and wonder if they are worth the extra money. My iron also has a pretty fat tip, think I need something thinner for these DIY pedals? I'm going for it with mine either way but maybe someone had some specific goony insight profound enough to make me want a new iron.

E: typos/general drunk post fixes

philkop fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 23, 2014

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
If anyone else was curious, I did some more searching and found a few things that incorporate some what I was asking about. This looks pretty versatile & has more waveforms than I was expecting (you can also add expression pedal INPUTS to it to control ratio & range so you could build a pretty hilarious pyramid with pedals serving as expression pedals for a pedal serving as an expression pedal for another pedal). I still haven't run into anything on the envelope generator side of things, though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

philkop posted:

About making pedals and stuff, I have a cheap $7 soldering iron that just plugs into the wall. It is a soldering iron though (not a wood burner) and it does melt solder. I see a lot of guys with those variable temperature rigs and wonder if they are worth the extra money. My iron also has a pretty fat tip, think I need something thinner for these DIY pedals? I'm going for it with mine either way but maybe someone had some specific goony insight profound enough to make me want a new iron.

A good $80 Hakko unit will last you basically forever and is WAY easier to deal with. Even just using it is easier since it has a nice light cord rather than the 120v wall plug in cabling. This makes it infinitely easier to use on small things for that reason alone.

Then you get into the temperature control. Then the warm-up time (like 10-15seconds iirc to my normal temp), and usually comes with a nice base that has a scratch pad and wet sponge.

For $80, it's changed things from "ehhh... I'd have to solder that" to "gently caress ya, let's solder some poo poo!"

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

The Bunk posted:

If anyone else was curious, I did some more searching and found a few things that incorporate some what I was asking about. This looks pretty versatile & has more waveforms than I was expecting (you can also add expression pedal INPUTS to it to control ratio & range so you could build a pretty hilarious pyramid with pedals serving as expression pedals for a pedal serving as an expression pedal for another pedal). I still haven't run into anything on the envelope generator side of things, though.

Man they make some cool stuff. Definitely want this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kag3AZT1TEM

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
thinking about getting the mf drive (you rear end holes) you guys think it can give me the dark dirt that will take my swamp ash jm into a v4 into a snarling beast?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Sockington posted:

For $80, it's changed things from "ehhh... I'd have to solder that" to "gently caress ya, let's solder some poo poo!"

Cool, thanks dude. That warm up time sounds superb. I have to wait seriously 5 minutes. Also I find the sides get hotter than the tip, which blows. I can totally relate to that "ehhh" regarding soldering.

Instead I'd that 200$ on a pedal(s) I'm probably too get myself a few clones and a decent iron.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

Cool, thanks dude. That warm up time sounds superb. I have to wait seriously 5 minutes. Also I find the sides get hotter than the tip, which blows. I can totally relate to that "ehhh" regarding soldering.

Instead I'd that 200$ on a pedal(s) I'm probably too get myself a few clones and a decent iron.

sides will always be hotter, more surface area more heat/contact

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

philkop posted:

Whats a cheap pedal (under $200 but preferably around like $100) to make some crazy noise. Is there any merit to the feedback pedals? the fender runaway looked pretty fun. I want a crazy sound to try to reign in and master Unfortunately I can't turn my amp loud enough. I like the fuzz factories noise too, I am considering just getting one of those but I just bought a twosome and don't need another fuzz (I suppose I wouldn't be using it like a fuzz.) I have thought about getting a delay and using some super quick slapback to fatten up my sound and hopefully increase feedbacky sounds but I was unhappy with the carbon copy. Even at lowest settings the sound sounded too much like an echo and less like a stutter. Maybe its the analog warmth? What about feedback loop pedals?

If you want something that sounds like a stutter get a DD6 or the behringer copy, stick it on hold mode and tap it real fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fdts1vmBA

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

massive spider posted:

If you want something that sounds like a stutter get a DD6 or the behringer copy, stick it on hold mode and tap it real fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fdts1vmBA

Sweet, I dig that sound. Kind of like a constructive noise.

Update on my noise quest: my twosome fuzz arrived and it is plenty noisy on its own when it wants to be. I was worried it would be too strict and well manicured of a fuzz but the fixed side gets some wild sounds. Mine is modded to run both sides at once and to switch which one comes first. Definitely some very noisy sounds and almost infinite feedback.

Seems like this my search is complete with the twosome.... But... I wonder.... How would twosome sound with that stutter...
(the never ending quest)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

If you really want to have some noisemaking fun, look at old late 80's-90's rack mount F/X processors. A lot of them sound damned good and you can get some awesome weirdness out of them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Also helpful if you're trying to sound like Bolt Thrower.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iostream.h posted:

If you really want to have some noisemaking fun, look at old late 80's-90's rack mount F/X processors. A lot of them sound damned good and you can get some awesome weirdness out of them.

Old Yamaha stuff that is not SPX is often cheap (and really for something as famous as the SPX90 is the ~$150 or so you'll spend on it isn't awful)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Of course we all know the holy grail of vintage rackmount effects is the Eventide unit made famous by Henry Kaiser.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Of course we all know the holy grail of vintage rackmount effects is the Eventide unit made famous by Henry Kaiser.

You can tell he's a masterful guitarist because of how difficult it is to make Eventide products sound bad and how easily he does it

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comes along bort posted:

I love the Eventide stuff, but it just seems so overwhelming to me, I've been toying around with the idea of an Eclipse for a while now but can't bring myself to jump on it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Declan MacManus posted:

You can tell he's a masterful guitarist because of how difficult it is to make Eventide products sound bad and how easily he does it

I actually know an, I guess pretty prominent jazz guitarist from that era who is good friends with HK and he describes him more or less as being generally a very good guitarist who basically got caught on tape embarrassing himself a bit (by our standards, of course) during a particularly experimental phase of his playing. He was trying so hard to escape any sound he was used to that he would wipe his presets monthly or weekly and make all new ones, just to kick his creativity as hard as he could. And as I recall, his Dumble cost more what a Mesa would cost people (then or now), it was before they blew up and that video became the source of the hilarious hemming-and-hawing non-answer about tube amps, fragile harmonics, and the solid-state crystal lattice.

I've listened to mr. Kaiser's other stuff and it's mostly pretty accessible considering what you hear there makes it sound like he's trying to make John Zorn sound like Billy Joel or something, I truly think that what we have there is basically a guitarist caught at probably the worst part of his development as a musician, on camera and unfortunately very notable by association with Dumble there.

All the tempered empathy in the world, though, doesn't diminish the inevitable mega-:lol: that happens during that one improv bit beginning with Henry Kaiser telling Dumble to play something "down low," because holy loving god ahahaha he made his own [Artist] Shreds video before it was cool :laugh:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Kaiser owns super hard. Not Derek Bailey or Sonny Sharrock hard, but pretty hard. Like Mary Halvorson hard.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Honestly I'm split about 50/50 about whether I'd rather gear demos feature earsplitting failed experiments like Kaiser's, or the same three boring dad rock licks like every other video in the genre. Right now I'm feeling option 1 would be nicer.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
A moratorium on solos would go a long way.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

comes along bort posted:

A moratorium on solos would go a long way.

Exceptions being for boost pedals and the like

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

So I've been chatting with the guys from Moog (who are awesome and the weirder you can get with their stuff, the more excited THEY get) and here's some text dumping from our emails based on The Bunk's post earlier:

The Bunk posted:

All this Moog chat (MF Delay gets delivered today!) has me thinking about alternate expression pedal options, and now I'm just wondering if anything like this already exists. It would be a standalone pedal that outputs EXP voltage and plugs into any pedal with expression pedal input. Instead of controlling with your foot, though, it would have a couple different options:

1) LFO style, where the voltage is controlled by sine, square, s+h waves, etc.
2) Envelope generator, where you could set ADSR & have the envelope triggered by the guitar (or whatever) signal

Moog High Priest posted:

We used to build a Multi-Pedal, which had a foot pedal, but could also do envelope generation and LFO control. It had 4 CV outs, MIDI in and out, and MIDI over USB. They're now discontinued and you've
got to find those on Ebay or Craigslist.
(Incidentally, the pedal in question is the MP-201 Multi-Pedal.)

The Bunk posted:

So for example you could plug the pedal into the MF delay and have the delay time changing in a sine wave pattern. Or have the speed on a tremolo pedal fade up slowly when you play a chord before gradually slowing back down.

Moog High Priest posted:

To do this, you could actually use an MF-101 Low Pass Filter and use the Envelope Out of it into the expression input of the MF Trem. This allows you to hit a chord on the guitar and it peaks in speed at the hardest hit, then slows down as the amplitude of the strings lessens.

The Bunk posted:

I know I've seen some pedals with options like this built-in (like the speed changing tremolo) but it would be interesting to play around with those options with any device that can use an expression pedal already. I'm no engineer, though, so I have no clue how feasible it would be.

Moog High Priest posted:

The MF-104M does have multiple waveform LFOs that you can assign directly to the time. It's really incredible and you can dial in everything from sweet vibratos to crazy square wave octave jumps. Same thing goes for the MF-104M SD.

I've been playing around with other options for the CV input, lately I've been having a hoot using the MF Boost into an AB/Y with one output going to the input on the other MF pedals and using the EXP on the boost to affect the EXP parameters on whatever pedal I'm inputting the output from the Boost into. I've also had some interesting results using an old EHX POG into the exp input, pretty much anything that's 5v or lower seems to do something. My next experiment involves using a Kaossilator into the EXP input.

Oh, and having another boost/OD/comp earlier in line can be weird too.

I don't remember where the conversation regarding spillover mods on the MF Delay was, but:

Moog High Priest posted:

The MF-104M is the larger Moogerfooger delay, and that now has the spillover mod installed, and you can switch back and forth between functions. You are correct in that there is no spillover mod for the MF Delay Minifooger.
I was a little disappointed by that, but after a couple of gigs and some time in the studio, it's really not as big a deal as I worried it might be. Absolutely unnoticeable between it and anything else WITH spillover when flipping it on or off and the sound quality makes it more than worth the loss.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Been having fun runing my guitar into a granular processing vst (ggrain), there isn't any sort of hardware that does granular stuff is there? It would need to be digital right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

field balm posted:

Been having fun runing my guitar into a granular processing vst (ggrain), there isn't any sort of hardware that does granular stuff is there? It would need to be digital right?

My Zoom G5 has a granular effect but it's the only guitar pedal I've ever seen with it.