Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Warriors Orochi 4 new additions: DW:Gundam.

:frog:
poo poo, just add all the other licenses. Luffy, Amuro, and Kenshiro teaming up to fight Hades and Ganondorf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Can we just have a warriors game with every single franchise in it?

Luffy piloted Lu Bu Gundam vs Strike Force versions of Raoh and Nobunaga.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sonata Mused posted:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen some sort of Mugen Warriors, has anyone taken a crack at modding the new PC Warriors release?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Multiplayer focused Warriors/Total War crossover where one person on each side commands the mooks like an RTS and their allies play an action game as the generals. Includes all time periods from Total War and Samurai/Dynasty Warriors.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
No, I do not want DOTA warriors, shut up with that talk.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Elliotw2 posted:

Why not. Basically anything that involves a bunch of superhuman dudes and cannon-fodder class enemies can be adapted into the Musou mode.

Marvel and DC musou, Type Moon musou, Dota Musou, SRW Musou edition...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

What? That wouldn't be DotA at all. In DotA/MOBAs it's the generals who are controlled with RTS controls, I'm talking more a traditional RTS with the generals being controlled like a Musou game.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Warriors Orochi 4 new additions: DW:Gundam.

:frog:

Good sir or madame, I do believe you mean :getin:. Some of the teamup dialogues alone would be amazing.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Yalborap posted:

Good sir or madame, I do believe you mean :getin:. Some of the teamup dialogues alone would be amazing.

I can't wait for Millardo Peacecraft to wage a war against Funnels AND Chinese/Japanese Mystics, all the while he swoons over Lu Bu's fighting.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
In all honesty there's no reason they couldn't include Domon or Master Asia without their suits. They are the best anyway.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sonata Mused posted:

I never knew how much I wanted this before now. :allears:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DW Online was basically dota

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Pang Tong's musou is the best musou. Fan surf a million dudes to death.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
By DW 10, everyone will have a variation of surfing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

straight jerkers posted:

DW Online was basically dota

As someone who played it a time, that wasn't the case, or at least not entirely. Most of the time your objectives were something other than Kill Players.

...It'll be interesting to see whether they'll bother to bring the new edition of Online over here. Yes, there is one. Based on DW7 rather than 5.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Bloodly posted:

As someone who played it a time, that wasn't the case, or at least not entirely. Most of the time your objectives were something other than Kill Players.

...It'll be interesting to see whether they'll bother to bring the new edition of Online over here. Yes, there is one. Based on DW7 rather than 5.

In fairness, the objective of DOTA is not 'Kill Players' either. The objective is the Defense of the Ancients. Killing players happens in the course of this.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Tae posted:

The boat is the first thing you think of when you think "DW has some bullshit weapons?" One guy has a rocket-powered lancer thing.

HEY. Don't talk poo poo about the rocket-propelled lance. That poo poo is fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

THE MOON! posted:

HEY. Don't talk poo poo about the rocket-propelled lance. That poo poo is fun.

I'm fond of Guo Hai's machine gun crossbow too.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So do I have to complete dw8 ambition mode to get to xl ambition mode? Seems like a really lovely tedious slog. Whats the fastest way through?

Yes, you do need to finish normal ambition to get to XL ambition. Just how tedious it is depends a lot on how leveled your character is and how good your weapon(s) are. I started off at level 1, but eventually you unlock the blacksmith enough to get really overpowered weapons, and then things just snowball.

Additionally, lowering the difficulty helps immensely and doesn't really impact the rewards that much. I eventually settled into a loop of doing ~5 battles to make sure I got at least one duel, then went back to camp to collect my rewards/change bodyguards/build structures.

I don't know what the "optimal" way to go is, but I'd do something like:

1) Work on officers/fame until you unlock the merchant (don't use officers to strengthen bodyguards as it will slow this down)
2) Do supply runs, trade weapon materials for facility materials at the merchant
3) Upgrade the blacksmith until you get Weapon Fusion
4) Use Weapon Fusion to make a godly 4th weapon

At that point grinding out the rest of the stuff becomes pretty painless. I started doing just a single Skirmish on Ultimate to grind out materials before returning to camp, mostly because I had a million bond events to clear and you only get one of those per return.

Whatever you do, save the Merchant for last. You really want to keep his 2 weapon for 1 facility exchange rate until you've maxed out all the other buildings and stockpiled enough to finish off the merchant itself.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you're really desperate for weapons, there's 8 characters with 6-star weapons that are linked to the stages that should already be unlocked without having even started any campaigns. Sima Yi, Sun Jian (Which is good because I like his weapon), Guan Yu, Liu Bei (Theirs is on the same stage but different objectives, although you'll have to pursue Lu Bu on Hard - I recommend using Rage on him), Cao Pi, Huang Gai, Han Dang, and Zhang Chinhua. You could unlock those right away with a relative minimum of leveling; the lowest I've been able to get a 6-star was Sima Yi at level 8. Mind you, all of these are Heaven weapons and you cannot change the affinity of them.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I did it. I 100%'d DW7. I don't have any regrets, but I don't have any joy either. Huh.

I'm not touching another Warriors game for months, but is the grind for DW8:XLC at least a little different of an experience? Doing the same three stages over and over again was a pretty tiring experience, and that's saying something with a series with not a whole lot of variation in its stages to begin with.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Iserlohn posted:

I did it. I 100%'d DW7. I don't have any regrets, but I don't have any joy either. Huh.

I'm not touching another Warriors game for months, but is the grind for DW8:XLC at least a little different of an experience? Doing the same three stages over and over again was a pretty tiring experience, and that's saying something with a series with not a whole lot of variation in its stages to begin with.
Have you considered joining a support group?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ooookay, dude. That's slightly creepy. :stare:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

Ooookay, dude. That's slightly creepy. :stare:
I watched a (Japanese) LP where someone went through a whole lot of those conversations and yeah, a little creepy. Especially since so many of the characters are married (including her).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Being married aside, he's like three times her age!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Considering Zuo Ci lived to the age of 300, I think it's a little more than three times.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Her husband also looks about twice her age (it's all anime ages anyway) so that's neither here nor there.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
The new DW:Gundam game out soon has me considering trying it out.

how similar do the DW:Gundam games play to regular DW? does it still feel like a DW game but with shooting or does it feel more like an Armoured Core game in controls?

also: I've tried looking it up but can't entirely figure the game modes out. does it still have the standard Musou/Story mode and then Free mode like other games with characters/levels being unlocked as you progress?

Thanks!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Daqiao and Xiaoqiao have always been creepy. They always, always look like they're 12 and are both married to dudes who look like they're in their late 20s.

It's just kind of something you have to deal with in Dynasty Warriors. Whether it's historically accurate or not it'd be nice if they'd twist things a little. :negative:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
At least with Samurai Warriors they've been aging up Oichi and Masamune bit by bit ever since the first game. By SW4 they actually look like young adults rather than preteen kids.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chewy Bitems posted:

The new DW:Gundam game out soon has me considering trying it out.

how similar do the DW:Gundam games play to regular DW? does it still feel like a DW game but with shooting or does it feel more like an Armoured Core game in controls?
I'm not sure about the others but DWG:3 had no real 'free mode,' you just sort of hit a mission and got a random-ish map with no real defining characteristics.

It plays basically like a Dynasty Warriors game, no real deference, the controls are nearly the exact same - the big thing is that instead of horses, you have a boost thruster, and you can boost mid-move for a sort of dash cancel. Combat is a lot quicker than in Dynasty Warriors games, even with the slower mechs, and since you're dealing with robots and not human bodies you get poo poo like dudes getting their heads cut off if you KO them with the right move. It's pretty badass to swing your beam sword and watch 50 mooks have their heads fly off as they explode. Shooting isn't really a big deal either, most mechs have a button that fires off a generic shot but even the more ranged focused mechs just play like Huang Zhong or Xiahou Yuan do in DW - they swing their sword a bit, then they shoot in a pattern.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Daqiao and Xiaoqiao have always been creepy. They always, always look like they're 12 and are both married to dudes who look like they're in their late 20s.

It's just kind of something you have to deal with in Dynasty Warriors. Whether it's historically accurate or not it'd be nice if they'd twist things a little. :negative:

They got a little better over the games. I'd put them at like 15 now, the problem is more that they still act like kids.
On the other hand, that's why Xiaoqiao is one of my favorite chars to actually play. It's so exhilarating to see all these roidbergs scream and yell at each other sternly and pit their armies against each other in their oh so important struggle for important causes, only for the little hyper girl with a fan to come in, kick up a storm, and run out just seconds later, leaving hundreds of men strewn across the ground with an upbeat "Come back later and try again! ^_^" ringing in their ears.

Back to these bond things: So far, most of them have been either "I want to look at you forever", "I want to talk to you forever" or "I want to be with you forever" in varying degrees of creepiness, but i think i found one that tops them all.

That's hella on the nose, man. :stare:

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Endorph posted:

I'm not sure about the others but DWG:3 had no real 'free mode,' you just sort of hit a mission and got a random-ish map with no real defining characteristics.

It plays basically like a Dynasty Warriors game, no real deference, the controls are nearly the exact same - the big thing is that instead of horses, you have a boost thruster, and you can boost mid-move for a sort of dash cancel. Combat is a lot quicker than in Dynasty Warriors games, even with the slower mechs, and since you're dealing with robots and not human bodies you get poo poo like dudes getting their heads cut off if you KO them with the right move. It's pretty badass to swing your beam sword and watch 50 mooks have their heads fly off as they explode. Shooting isn't really a big deal either, most mechs have a button that fires off a generic shot but even the more ranged focused mechs just play like Huang Zhong or Xiahou Yuan do in DW - they swing their sword a bit, then they shoot in a pattern.
Oh cool, that sounds good to me anyway. thanks a million for that man.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HenryEx posted:

They got a little better over the games. I'd put them at like 15 now, the problem is more that they still act like kids.
On the other hand, that's why Xiaoqiao is one of my favorite chars to actually play. It's so exhilarating to see all these roidbergs scream and yell at each other sternly and pit their armies against each other in their oh so important struggle for important causes, only for the little hyper girl with a fan to come in, kick up a storm, and run out just seconds later, leaving hundreds of men strewn across the ground with an upbeat "Come back later and try again! ^_^" ringing in their ears.

Back to these bond things: So far, most of them have been either "I want to look at you forever", "I want to talk to you forever" or "I want to be with you forever" in varying degrees of creepiness, but i think i found one that tops them all.

That's hella on the nose, man. :stare:

Gonna need a restraining order on Guo Jia, jesus. :stare:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just went on a trek to find me some new Warriors games, walked out of the flea market with DW4, DW4XL, DW5, Samurai Warriors, and Warriors Orochi. Great finds. :3:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Dewgy posted:

Just went on a trek to find me some new Warriors games, walked out of the flea market with DW4, DW4XL, DW5, Samurai Warriors, and Warriors Orochi. Great finds. :3:

4XL was my first Warriors game (I didn't realize it was an expansion), and it single-handedly sold me on the franchise. Legend Mode was so much fun, and I'm always disappointed that it never made a comeback.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Same, found 4XL in a Gamestop or whatever a long rear end time ago while I was in high school, gave it a try, fell in love, although I never really got any other actual DW games until 360 (5 Empires, 6/6 Empires, 7), I ended up going the SW route during the PS2 era; hence my avatar.

Still miss Xiahou Dun with the headband covering his eye instead of an eye-patch.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Spent my entire Sunday playing DW8XL.

Having a maxed Throwing Knives pair (Man with Slash, Heaven with Jubilation), I gave them to Lu Bu and... his large size makes things a little harder to kill, I swear. I find I have the most success when I force a block and throw the last part of the string point-blank.

How do carryover bonuses in DW8XL Ambition Mode work? If you die/lose, does all your progress from the first stage disappear? IIRC I read a guide that says weapons stay whether you fail the mission or not, but I don't feel like trying things out myself...

Also, what's the fastest way to level? My highest is Sima Shi at 86 (my Ambition Mode character until I discovered the wonders of Throwing Knives), and my eyes popped when I learned the max level was 150.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dewgy posted:

As happy as I am for you gaming wise for the chance to experience their novelty, my condolences to your eardrums. :(

Re: the Qiao sisters talk -- Three Kingdoms 2010 had "more age-appropriate Qiaos".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dewgy posted:

I enjoy playing these games, but I don't think I could sit down and play four of them (well, three really with XL there) in a row.