Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kazil posted:

Surely there is some middle ground between "git gud son" and "it's ok you died 100 times on the tutorial you're a fantastic person and I will always love you forever son"

I literally did die over 30 times on the tutorial :negative:.

And I'm still not as bad as bloodstains of people dying to the really obvious ambush enemies in Forest of Fallen Giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Man, I never died in a zone in a Souls game as much as I do in Iron Keep. Seriously, forget Tower of Latria, Valley of Defilement, New Londo Ruins or Anor Londo, I will always do the most idiotic things and die lots and lots of times in every single character in that place. And it's not even that difficult.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 27, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Did you know you could attack while on a ladder?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

kazil posted:

I'll take the run to Undead Purgatory over the run to Smelter Demon any day.
This is one of the reasons this game is so much fun to discuss and debate with folks. I could do the Smelter run with my eyes closed, playing either pure melee or mostly magic, while the Purgatory run frustrates the living hell out of me every time.

The varied experiences and (totally legitimate) frustrations associated with individual areas are nothing short of facinating.

WatchTHIS
Oct 26, 2010

Violent action ensues.
Whichever one of you is THE MONARCH and is protecting those bells, you're doing god's work.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

powerful weedlock posted:

I literally did die over 30 times on the tutorial :negative:.

And I'm still not as bad as bloodstains of people dying to the really obvious ambush enemies in Forest of Fallen Giants.
How? Simple mistakes or what?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CJacobs posted:

If it was difficult for a good reason and not "these enemies' weapons glow black so they do 3x the damage" I wouldn't be complaining. But I can see that you're one of those "lol git gud scrub :xd:" people so I won't bother arguing the point any further.

I am loving awful at this game and I had no trouble with that lead-up and it takes like 5 minutes killing everything. They're just bad guys, either hollows or dudes with really slow attacks. The whip guys can move and attack pretty quickly but they do no damage and aren't exactly tough.

This is really the thing in the game you're going to call "bullshit" on? Really?

EDIT: I mean, some tree you could knock over or something to shortcut back to the Bridge Approach bonfire would be nice, but it's not exactly the trail of tears.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 26, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neetengie posted:

How? Simple mistakes or what?

This is my first Souls game, I'm not using a controller, and I never played a third person brawler. I'm finally more than half way through the game after about 5 characters making it to ~SL60 before learning how magic and melee work for the most part.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

WatchTHIS posted:

Whichever one of you is THE MONARCH and is protecting those bells, you're doing god's work.

You're welcome.

Sadly i'm probably gonna have to move onto ng+, the invasions and bells aren't ringing as much as I'd like and I killed a few hackers today that boosted up my SM by almost half a mil.

Harry Joe fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 26, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Whoever designed the lead-up to the chariot fight should be tied down and forced to play it until their fingers fall off. I just want a loving lance in the early game, is that so much to ask? Why even put lances in the game if you're going to gate most of them until near the end???

I don't know how much worse it is in NG+ but on the normal enemies at least, if you have a bow or binoculars + a ranged spell you should be able to attract just 1 at a time.

I thought that run was really annoying but it's kind of just part of a larger problem I have with all 3 souls games, which is the decision to waste your time for no reason if you die on a boss.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 26, 2014

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't know how much worse it is in NG+ but on the normal enemies at least, if you have a bow or binoculars + a ranged spell you should be able to attract just 1 at a time.

It's a lot worse on ng+, you WILL fight them all at once.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Harry Joe posted:

It's a lot worse on ng+, you WILL fight them all at once.
Plus a heavy armor red phantom at the fog gate! Fun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Are you talking about the guys on the poles? Are the aggro ranges just multiple times larger in NG and up? Because those guys were painfully easy to fight one at a time assuming you didn't just run into the middle of it.

The only "troublesome" part is right after the little footbridge where you have to fight two hollows and one of the big halberd guys, and even that is...not that hard.

Grey Fox posted:

That guy is there even before NG, and you only have to kill him once.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Iron Keep was probably the hardest area for me as well. I died a ton in that huge furnace room and hated it so much, and its entirely because of those archers. I never had problems with archers in Dark Souls but my first playthrough of DS 2 had me getting wrecked by archers. Maybe its just because I was out of the groove, but I couldn't shale off the arrows. I was really frustrated going through FoFG because all the archers kept pinning me from across the map. It was getting pretty annoying.

Fast forward to Iron Keep and it goes from annoying to lethal. I hate those loving archers. People say there are safe spots but I can never seem to find them. Every area I think is safe I get shot in. I get shot in the back. I get shot into lava. I get shot trying to open a door. It was just miserable. Now I can speedrun that area pretty easily and avoid the archers pretty well, but gently caress that first time through them was miserable.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Nahxela posted:

Clear out the enemies and have some fun (it helps to be naked).

also, take your character's armor off

Bogart posted:

Did you know you could attack while on a ladder?

I. don't think I ever tried, actually. huh.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Inspector_666 posted:

Are you talking about the guys on the poles? Are the aggro ranges just multiple times larger in NG and up? Because those guys were painfully easy to fight one at a time assuming you didn't just run into the middle of it.

The only "troublesome" part is right after the little footbridge where you have to fight two hollows and one of the big halberd guys, and even that is...not that hard.
They become Black Phantoms, and yeah I think they have a larger aggro range.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You don't need any ranged weapons. You can literally body pull them all one at a time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Cardboard Box posted:

I. don't think I ever tried, actually. huh.

Yeah. You can punch up with right-weapon and kick down with left-weapon. Weird.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

That guy is there even before NG, and you only have to kill him once.
Ok? He respawns on NG+. Or at least when I used the asthetic.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Grey Fox posted:

The red phantom seems to be basically the same in NG+, or at least I didn't notice much of a difference, but the executioners are definitely way worse. They'll come down one by one in NG if you just approach slowly; in NG+ you really need arrows to avoid aggroing all of them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grey Fox posted:

Ok? He respawns on NG+. Or at least when I used the asthetic.

Well, if you're burning aesthetics I think you kind of lose the right to say "This is too hard!"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Well, if you're burning aesthetics I think you kind of lose the right to say "This is too hard!"
I never said "This is too hard." My entire point is that there are points in the game where people will struggle/be annoyed by Scenario A and have no problem with Scenario B, while others will have the exact opposite experience. It's part of what makes the game so interesting.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

For the love of god someone explain to me how there are so many blood stains in the steel cage room right before the last IK bonfire. I've gotten used to seeing completely random stains, but what the gently caress.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I think people like to PvP there.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nalesh posted:

I just had the best blue invasion ever, I get summoned to belfry sol and there's two grey spirits and the host. they're feeling each other with a few pokes.
I walk up behind the first grey spirit, backstab him with grorious nippon steel and then heavy power stancing the other phantom, just before this happened, the host ran down the ladder to heal, he comes up to see what the hell just happened while he was gone. I showed him what happened by instagibbing him with a heavy power stance :v:

EVERYONE IS A CRIMINAL

Are you a cop IRL?

I don't get the hex hate. I don't see how it's that different from pyromancy or sorcery. I mean it's not exactly the same, only the same general concept. The only reason it's better is because you can plop on a ring that boosts it's damage by 20%, and all you have to do to get it is talk to a guy. But that blatant oversight never gets brought up for some reason.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can also drink estus on ladders!

Internet Kraken posted:

Iron Keep was probably the hardest area for me as well. I died a ton in that huge furnace room and hated it so much, and its entirely because of those archers. I never had problems with archers in Dark Souls but my first playthrough of DS 2 had me getting wrecked by archers. Maybe its just because I was out of the groove, but I couldn't shale off the arrows. I was really frustrated going through FoFG because all the archers kept pinning me from across the map. It was getting pretty annoying.

Fast forward to Iron Keep and it goes from annoying to lethal. I hate those loving archers. People say there are safe spots but I can never seem to find them. Every area I think is safe I get shot in. I get shot in the back. I get shot into lava. I get shot trying to open a door. It was just miserable. Now I can speedrun that area pretty easily and avoid the archers pretty well, but gently caress that first time through them was miserable.

Archers are a plague in DS2 because they lead you, their shots travel way faster than in earlier games, and they sometimes shoot twice in a row without reloading when the feeling takes them. If you have a bow you can use poison arrows on that area, it's the only way I got through it without pulling my hair out (you could just shoot the archers a billion times with normal arrows but that takes way longer).

Iron Keep was a pain for me because I didn't know there would be a bonfire after Smelter Demon, so I was like gently caress this I'm sick of "big guy who swings a weapon around that you have to invincibility-frame-roll past" bosses and skipped him. Which meant going through the entire area with no bonfires until the end. That area pretty much taught me that poison is the best thing ever on big enemies and you should use it anytime you can.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Speaking of pvp areas, the best thing is when you see a ghost or whatever they are when you see other people playing the game, and then they get parried. Just a sudden, loud bwaaaaa sound out of nowhere. Blood stains do this too.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cardboard Box posted:

also, take your character's armor off
Y-you quoted me saying being naked helps

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006

Safety Scissors posted:

Are you a cop IRL?

I don't get the hex hate. I don't see how it's that different from pyromancy or sorcery. I mean it's not exactly the same, only the same general concept. The only reason it's better is because you can plop on a ring that boosts it's damage by 20%, and all you have to do to get it is talk to a guy. But that blatant oversight never gets brought up for some reason.

Because I see it twice as often as sorcery and I see sorcery 5 times more often then I do pyromancy. Even if it wasn't the basic cookie cutter poo poo every unoriginal rear end who wants to one shot people uses, the fact that your success against it depends highly on the presence of lag is enough to make me hate it.

With miracles, some badly timed lag will only make me lose 80%hp, sorcery maybe 60% while a half decently built hex user will one shot me. I'm sure it's awesome on their end because it probably looked like I didn't dodge it, but on my end it really sucks to be one shot by something that flew by 15 feet beside me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nalesh posted:

I just had the best blue invasion ever, I get summoned to belfry sol and there's two grey spirits and the host. they're feeling each other with a few pokes.
I walk up behind the first grey spirit, backstab him with grorious nippon steel and then heavy power stancing the other phantom, just before this happened, the host ran down the ladder to heal, he comes up to see what the hell just happened while he was gone. I showed him what happened by instagibbing him with a heavy power stance :v:

EVERYONE IS A CRIMINAL

I am so proud of you, fellow proponent of police brutality :911:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Speaking of pvp areas, the best thing is when you see a ghost or whatever they are when you see other people playing the game, and then they get parried. Just a sudden, loud bwaaaaa sound out of nowhere. Blood stains do this too.

Ahahaha I've heard it happen to bloodstains but not normal player ghosts. I hope they never patch this or Looking Glass Knight's turbo sonic boom.

Nahxela posted:

Y-you quoted me saying being naked helps

What if you were naked but still had your armor on

individual
May 20, 2003
Nice to meat you!
Is there any kind of character viewer available? I'm not looking for something to edit characters, just something that can show me how many kills I have for a covenent and any other hidden stats.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ahahaha I've heard it happen to bloodstains but not normal player ghosts. I hope they never patch this or Looking Glass Knight's turbo sonic boom.

It's only happened to me once and it scared the poo poo out of me when it did.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Safety Scissors posted:

This post is a good example of Poe's Law.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

kater posted:

For the love of god someone explain to me how there are so many blood stains in the steel cage room right before the last IK bonfire. I've gotten used to seeing completely random stains, but what the gently caress.

There's a thing there on NG+ that could kill a dude. A bunch of my NG+ deaths came from blundering into places that I was sure were safe but now there's two black phantom Allone captains hanging out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

kater posted:

If you invade in that area, 90% of the time you end up fighting inside the cage. Hosts are usually hiding up there, or will retreat up the ladder as soon as you show up.

Safety Scissors posted:

Are you a cop IRL?

I hate hexers because they are all boring and terrible. All they do is spam grs. Some of them pull out a bat staff for dark fog. None of them ever do anything remotely interesting. Also, they all wear that horrible dishrag hood which is a crime against fashion.

I mean to hex well you need to invest in both int and faith. You have a huge amount of access to a ton of spells. And yet, hexers always use nothing but grs. Just spam that poo poo all day.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

kater posted:

There's a dark spirit NPC in NG+ there, if we're thinking of the same spot. He's a tough cookie.

Same goes for that room at the top of the elevator in Drangleic. He's also a motherfucker.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I noticed something a bit odd about online play. When someone enters my world, or I enter there world for PvP or Co-Op play, any music I am playing is muted. I don't know why it is happening, but I like it. I will put up my summon sign somewhere, switch over browse the internet. Then, when Metallica's volume goes way down, I know I am being summon or invaded. My music is muted before the message "***bag invades your world" shows up.

On an unrelated topic, are there any awesome weapons that do lots of damage with low stats. I like low stat weapons, so I can pour my stat points into vitality, endurance, and vigor. The best weapon I have found for me so far is the lightning imbued malformed skull.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I noticed something a bit odd about online play. When someone enters my world, or I enter there world for PvP or Co-Op play, any music I am playing is muted. I don't know why it is happening, but I like it. I will put up my summon sign somewhere, switch over browse the internet. Then, when Metallica's volume goes way down, I know I am being summon or invaded. My music is muted before the message "***bag invades your world" shows up.

This has been covered repeatedly:

Invasions count as "communications activity" for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
That's awesome. I didn't even know windows does that.