Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

He also did the soundtrack for The Last Story, but I couldn't tell you whether it was good or not since I only ever got it to run the title screen at 40fps. His post-Black Mages group, Earthbound Papas, did one album and mostly just makes appearances at FF concerts these days.
The most important thing the Earthbound Papas ever did was this and I will not hear otherwise. I'm pretty sure I would pay to see just that live.

(Also, check the URL if you're a thirteen year old boy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The most important thing the Earthbound Papas ever did was this and I will not hear otherwise. I'm pretty sure I would pay to see just that live.

Holy poo poo

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eternity will forever be the best boss theme :allears:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mazed posted:

Fuckin' a, are we talking about music again

FFXIV has kinda won me way over. It hits the Uematsu notes and stylings now and then, but does its own thing too. Like the Thanalan theme.

Also, here that is being performed by one cool dude.

The main city themes are kind of funny because they're so blatantly influenced by film scores. Like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Pirates of the Caribbean meets How to Train Your Dragon,

I'm pretty sure Titan's theme has been posted here too, but for all two of you who don't know by now, the fight does something really neat where each phase is accompanied by a separate piece, each building intensity from the previous until the last one, where growly vocals + tribal chanting kicks in. Here's all of 'em, with song titles/times marked in the video description (plus bonus footage of MMO gameplay which, as always, tends to look like a lot of chaos unless you've actually played it)

And there's the 'decisive battle' theme, "Torn from the Heavens", which accompanies a few select story fights and some world bosses, using a lot of recurring riffs from FFXIV's score plus the prelude.

Bells, frogs, big cherries, jinglebells, magic cheese, SEPHIROF

XIV has the best soundtrack the series has presented in years. I am torn between hoping Masayoshi Soken gets more work because of it, and hoping he doesn't so he can keep making more tracks for new content.

Speaking of Uematsu though, it's worth mentioning that he composed a majority of the music for XIV 1.0, before Soken stepped in. While Soken has been responsible for most of the music in 2.0 they have been slowly threading some of Uematsu's work back into the game; if you had not been following the MMOs at all then some of those tracks can show up as pleasant surprises, Uematsu pieces you're not familiar with.

What's that? Samples? Ok!

Steel Reason is used for a few specific end-game boss fights, generally awesome. Some people get a little bit of a You're Not Alone vibe from the guitar riffs halfway through.

Imperial Will is a pretty excellent Evil Empire theme as far as these things go, used to pretty great effect.

Two Soken examples; for people familiar with FFIII you may recognize the music used in XIV's Crystal Tower. There is Hubris, the ambient track, and Tumbling Down, the absolutely badass remix of the FFIII boss theme used for the final confrontation.

Back to Uematsu, my current favorite track in the game is Tempest. To me, it basically sounds like he wrote one extra Last Boss theme back in the PSX era and stuck it in a drawer, hidden and forgotten, until they planned a new epic final confrontation and needed a piece of music for it. Has a really long build up like Grand Cross from FFIX and uses the synth that Uematsu loves so much. It got some use back in 1.0 but I'm sure only a fraction of people heard it there; just recently reintroduced to 2.0 a month back.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It scares me that there are some people on this very board right now who legitimately dislike Eternity. :ohdear:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

It scares me that there are some people on this very board right now who legitimately dislike Eternity. :ohdear:
does it put fear and awe

in your eyes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally my favorite track is the non-boss battle music for Coil. It really sounds like any other jrpg's post-game dungeon, though I'd say it sounds more like Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile than Final Fantasy.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally my favorite track is the non-boss battle music for Coil. It really sounds like any other jrpg's post-game dungeon, though I'd say it sounds more like Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile than Final Fantasy.

Can't go wrong with the actual boss battle music for Coil either, which is all orchestral but dramatic as hell.

We could probably trade beloved XIV tracks all day it is a good soundtrack is my point here

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr Snofeld posted:

It was Basch, and it was a Kamehameha. :colbert:

Whatever maaaaan I haven't played that game since it came out.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Lost Odyssey has the best Final Fantasy soundtrack.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Meiteron posted:

We could probably trade beloved XIV tracks all day it is a good soundtrack is my point here

No reason to get offa this train we're on.

Two of my favorites are the two different themes for the Garlean bases, the first one is just Xenoblade as all hell (that part around 2:50 in, oh man :h:), and the second one that plays in the final story dungeon is just great.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Yeah, it's dumb butt rock but it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. I legit can't believe they got the guy from Deep Purple to sing it, though

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Meiteron posted:

Steel Reason is used for a few specific end-game boss fights, generally awesome. Some people get a little bit of a You're Not Alone vibe from the guitar riffs halfway through.

Steel Reason is the player characters' own theme, used to the same effect as that of, say, Locke's or Cecil's. Nothing can shake that impression for me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh man, I love FFXIV's music. Here's some more I like that hasn't been posted yet:

The La Noscea themes. La Noscea is just the best area in general, so of course the music's pretty nice too.
Leviathan's Theme. It's a bit like Titan's theme where it builds up to a pretty awesome theme halfway through the battle.
Thornmarch / Good King Moggle Mog XII's theme. It actually describes all the individual moogles you fight and works well for the chaotic nature of the fight.
Lost City of Amdapor. Really nice change of pace for dungeons. Reminds me a lot of Bejeweled City from Legend of Mana.
FF2 Battle Music. A nice spin on a classic.
Battle on the Big Bridge. Yep.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Thornmarch / Good King Moggle Mog XII's theme. It actually describes all the individual moogles you fight and works well for the chaotic nature of the fight.

You know how Mazed said last page how MMO fights look like a lot of random chaos if you aren't playing it and know what's happening? Even if you DO know what's happening, GKMM's fight still looks like a lot of random chaos and no one ever knows what's happening. That fight is roughly analogous to standing inside a giant, rapidly rotating kaleidoscope while a screaming man smacks you repeatedly in the face with a frying pan.

And then you die.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Meiteron posted:

You know how Mazed said last page how MMO fights look like a lot of random chaos if you aren't playing it and know what's happening? Even if you DO know what's happening, GKMM's fight still looks like a lot of random chaos and no one ever knows what's happening. That fight is roughly analogous to standing inside a giant, rapidly rotating kaleidoscope while a screaming man smacks you repeatedly in the face with a frying pan.

And then you die.

That fight looks and sounds awesome enough to almost make me put aside my distaste for MMOs and get FFXIV- especially if the rest of them are as good.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

FFXIV is the best single-player FF game since 10, except for the parts where you have to depend on other people to progress in the story. But then again, I did my leveling in 2.0, before they introduced any incentives for max level players to queue for low level dungeons. So I would hit a progression wall and just sit in queue for 2 hours. Fun.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

That fight looks and sounds awesome enough to almost make me put aside my distaste for MMOs and get FFXIV- especially if the rest of them are as good.

They actually nerfed GKMM pretty significantly in the last big patch, it's not nearly as ludicrous as it was (which they did because most of the playerbase hated running it because it was a clusterfuck). The good news is that there's an extreme mode version that's still nutso, and all the rest of the EM battles and pretty much all of the Coil of Bahamut are legit challenging.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dross posted:

FFXIV is the best single-player FF game since 10, except for the parts where you have to depend on other people to progress in the story. But then again, I did my leveling in 2.0, before they introduced any incentives for max level players to queue for low level dungeons. So I would hit a progression wall and just sit in queue for 2 hours. Fun.

This is why you roll on Excalibur, join one of the two goon guilds, and ask nicely for someone to join you where you will then have people throwing themselves at you to help. :D

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So one of my friends keeps posting about how excited she is that FFXV allegedly has a release window, but I'm not seeing it on any site that I remotely trust for news. Guessing it's a load of bullshit?
This is the site.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think I'll put my faith in the exclusive information procured by the good folks at EpicStream dot com.

edit:

quote:

The good news: we finally get an idea when Final Fantasy XV will be released; The bad news: it won't be released until March 2015, according to Corporate Executive Shinji Hashimoto.
When Hashimoto was asked on the target release date, he said that Square Enix is not sharing any information.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 26, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, it seems like a huge load since they wouldn't announce something like that before E3, they'd want as many people as possible to see it, or at the very least they'd be freaking out over it on their Facebook pages. At the same time I don't feel like bursting her bubble this time.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Kyrosiris posted:

This is why you roll on Excalibur, join one of the two goon guilds, and ask nicely for someone to join you where you will then have people throwing themselves at you to help. :D

I'm seriously considering resubbing and doing exactly that.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

I haven't played in a few months (I should probably resub soon though and run the new content) but that was a fun fight. Most fights have a central theme that everyone is working towards, but that fight just ends up chaotic as hell. I think you have something like 7 or 8 enemies that all do different things and you just have to deal with them organically as the fight progresses. Really interesting.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

NovemberMike posted:

I haven't played in a few months (I should probably resub soon though and run the new content) but that was a fun fight. Most fights have a central theme that everyone is working towards, but that fight just ends up chaotic as hell. I think you have something like 7 or 8 enemies that all do different things and you just have to deal with them organically as the fight progresses. Really interesting.

Mog Ex inverts the usual path of battle where the Boss is the primary target and any additional enemies are just annoyances to be quickly dealt with. In Mog Ex, the boss is entirely invincible and you progress through the fight by dealing damage to his seven moogle helpers in a specific way: when one dies, all the moogles are healed to full by the King who takes damage equal to how much he had to heal. So you're basically you're winning the fight by attacking 7 enemies at once, 5 of which cannot be controlled in any way and attack freely based on their own set behaviour, along with honest-to-god Combination Attacks which go off every 20-30 seconds and require a lot of well-coordinated movement to deal with. It is not an environment that lends itself well to coordination.

Meanwhile, you still have to deal with the angry King Moogle who hits pretty hard, can't be damaged, and gives 1-minute stacking damage boosts in a wide area around himself, forcing tanks (who are each holding one of the two controllable moogles) to alternate holding his attention while dragging him around the arena to keep him away from as many moogle helpers as you can. Moogle helpers who are totally fine with just wandering over at exactly the wrong moment to take a buff when the King decides to throw one out goddamnit Thief moogle I just dragged this rear end in a top hat to the opposite side of the arena to get it away from you what the gently caress are you doing over here but I digress.

It is actually a pretty forgiving fight, I've had hard-earned victories where people were dying left and right yet we could get everyone back up for when it mattered, but more often I've just had groups barely hang on until everything explodes in random, hilarious ways.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
God help me I went back to play through LR again after my last little discussion with ImpAtom

And now I'm trying to puzzle out the best routes for speed running it :negative:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's what some people would call a good game. Other people would call it other things, but they are wrong.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Beef Waifu posted:

It's what some people would call a good game. Other people would call it other things, but they are wrong.

what about a fun game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is also true, I mean you can chuck moogles in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God help me I went back to play through LR again after my last little discussion with ImpAtom

And now I'm trying to puzzle out the best routes for speed running it :negative:

Well, as long as you're having fun. :unsmith:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Well, as long as you're having fun. :unsmith:

Oh god and it'd be so easy too! Like the wait the mission times line up and appear it all fits perfectly, I'd just have to figure out the optimum path through them. Even the big boss fight are pretty easy if you can get some good Perfect guards, which I can on all of them barring Caius. The only big hurdles are fitting stuff around the Wildlands (Getting Odin up and running and running back and forth for all the quest as well as dealing with Reavers at lower 'level') and dealing with the Goddess' Temple.

I feel like the Beggar's Ring is also super critical to the run to help guarantee I'd be able to grab some of the spells necessary to deal with some of the bosses.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 26, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Meiteron posted:

Mog Ex inverts the usual path of battle where the Boss is the primary target and any additional enemies are just annoyances to be quickly dealt with. In Mog Ex, the boss is entirely invincible and you progress through the fight by dealing damage to his seven moogle helpers in a specific way: when one dies, all the moogles are healed to full by the King who takes damage equal to how much he had to heal. So you're basically you're winning the fight by attacking 7 enemies at once, 5 of which cannot be controlled in any way and attack freely based on their own set behaviour, along with honest-to-god Combination Attacks which go off every 20-30 seconds and require a lot of well-coordinated movement to deal with. It is not an environment that lends itself well to coordination.

Meanwhile, you still have to deal with the angry King Moogle who hits pretty hard, can't be damaged, and gives 1-minute stacking damage boosts in a wide area around himself, forcing tanks (who are each holding one of the two controllable moogles) to alternate holding his attention while dragging him around the arena to keep him away from as many moogle helpers as you can. Moogle helpers who are totally fine with just wandering over at exactly the wrong moment to take a buff when the King decides to throw one out goddamnit Thief moogle I just dragged this rear end in a top hat to the opposite side of the arena to get it away from you what the gently caress are you doing over here but I digress.

It is actually a pretty forgiving fight, I've had hard-earned victories where people were dying left and right yet we could get everyone back up for when it mattered, but more often I've just had groups barely hang on until everything explodes in random, hilarious ways.

If it's both as chaotic yet forgiving as you say, that's like a triumph of game balance, or something.

Throw players into a completely clusterfuck, make them work a bit to sort it out, yet also make it so that one or two missteps on the part of one person doesn't spell a wipe and forced restart of the entire thing, and you have the good kind of challenging.

Most MMO boss fights fall into the category of relentless dance-rehearsal, then relentless praying your fellow group members don't gently caress up, repeat about twelve times until you actually win.

(and yet my raid leader from when I did this in WoW complained about Dark Souls' difficulty)

Of course I hear most other extreme-mode primals in FFXIV fall squarely under that category, so I am please look forward to it :suicide:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh god and it'd be so easy too! Like the wait the mission times line up and appear it all fits perfectly, I'd just have to figure out the optimum path through them. Even the big boss fight are pretty easy if you can get some good Perfect guards, which I can on all of them barring Caius. The only big hurdles are fitting stuff around the Wildlands (Getting Odin up and running and running back and forth for all the quest as well as dealing with Reavers at lower 'level') and dealing with the Goddess' Temple.

I feel like the Beggar's Ring is also super critical to the run to help guarantee I'd be able to grab some of the spells necessary to deal with some of the bosses.

Supposedly the speedrun routes for it are pretty developed already. There was one they aired for a charity stream pretty recently. I bet there's already info out there for some of them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TARDISman posted:

So one of my friends keeps posting about how excited she is that FFXV allegedly has a release window, but I'm not seeing it on any site that I remotely trust for news. Guessing it's a load of bullshit?
This is the site.

March 2015 is needlessly specific and relentlessly optimistic.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lightning throwing Moogles was one of the highlights of LR, definitely

especially her scene with Mog. Best part.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mazed posted:

Of course I hear most other extreme-mode primals in FFXIV fall squarely under that category, so I am please look forward to it :suicide:

Only Titan Extreme, really, and that's more because one person doing something wrong is generally A) unrecoverable due to quite a few of his attacks making you un-resurrectable and B) could cause more than just you to die, due to misplaced plumes/landslides making avoiding attacks impossible.

His attacks are also honestly just a slightly bit too tightly tuned, cast-time wise, because people with lag find themselves dying a lot.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
(FFX again) Anyone recommend a good compromise for what Luck stat to target? I want something but I am not maxing out anyone's Luck.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Kyrosiris posted:

I've yet to even try GKMM Ex because literally no one in the guild or the server in general wants to run it with someone who's never ran it before, so I'd have to disagree with you there. I mean normal/hard mode sure whatever because it's piss easy I guess.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fedule posted:

(FFX again) Anyone recommend a good compromise for what Luck stat to target? I want something but I am not maxing out anyone's Luck.

The mid 100s is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've made it up to FF7 while playing all the FFs. Should I bother getting Aeris' last Limit? I figure I can just use Enemy Skill and the materia cave to get the kills, but I don't know if it's worth getting it or if it's just an extra goal to have before the end of disk 1.