Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

agarjogger posted:

Yeah, but like polls. To indicate that the members of this forum are not completely alone in the way we think about Republicans. We think quite harshly of them.

Polls say they might win the Senate and will keep the House, just like they've been saying and people have been predicting for the last year. On a state level they're slowly but surely being locked out of government in the more liberal half of the states, and securing an iron grip on power in the conservative half. Cities are growing and slowly turning purple states blue.

If you're expecting this war to be won anytime soon I think politics chat isn't really for you. This process has been happening for like 25 years, and it will probably be another decade till Reaganite conservatives are finally purged on a national level and in the states that matter. States like Mississippi or Wyoming or Alaska are hosed indefinitely. Things will get better slowly but don't expect this to happen quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

It's fascinating how violent crime, including gun crime, has actually gone down over the previous years according to this article, but that mass shootings have gone up.

I agree that we need better mental health support and to keep the media from over-exposing these assholes. Perhaps that would cut down the number of copy-cat instances, but I'm afraid it may be to late to completely curtail the problem any time soon.

Also, on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace, they refused to play any of the youtube clips of the shooter, which is a good start. That's probably the only complement that Fox will ever get from me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Right now, the right thinks of Sandy Hook as something Democrats fundraised off of, and therefore a good counter for when they are accused of exploiting BENGHAZI!!! for political gain.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Right now, the right thinks of Sandy Hook as something Democrats fundraised off of, and therefore a good counter for when they are accused of exploiting BENGHAZI!!! for political gain.

It just shows how unbelievably soulless they are.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Possibly dumb question, but for everyone complaining about how Obama didn't know about the poo poo going on in the VA, and only found out cause of the media, isn't it also important to note that NOBODY else knew about this poo poo until it got reported? That includes all the Republicans in congress.
Actually, this is completely false.
Reporting has been done on the VA and its failings since Vietnam vets came home, or earlier (WWII? WWI? The Civil War?).
Rachel did a great piece on this last week.

The real problem is the completely insane influx of patients from a couple of non-wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that were supposed to be easy-peasy no problem they'll treat us as liberators and we won't have any issues etc.
Under Obama funding has gone up by 150%, but the VA has been cooking the books on wait times for a very long time now and it's a real scandal. But it's not a surprise to anyone, because everyone in Congress and the military was well aware of this, and Veterans' groups have been screaming about it for over six years but the media refused to cover it. Except, basically, for Maddow.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What we need is national public mental health care and a general agreement by the media to stop reporting on and sensationalizing mass shootings.

Also for enough overweight weirdos in ankle shorts marching into Chipotle and legally terrorizing Little League games for society to view them as enough of a joke to collectively turn its back on them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Saw that video of the parent this morning on Face The Nation, I thought he did a great job. Major Garrett asked Sen Thune about it and he just emphasized the importance of understanding mental health issues.

Also, youtube link for those that can't access the CNN player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=664f0INxNbM

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I don't even know how much of the Elliot Rodgers thing is a mental healthcare issue. The guy was an entitled, narcissistic gently caress that couldn't understand why women didn't want to gently caress him. His family is quite wealthy and he was seeing a professional psychological therapist.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sir Tonk posted:

Saw that video of the parent this morning on Face The Nation, I thought he did a great job. Major Garrett asked Sen Thune about it and he just emphasized the importance of understanding mental health issues.

Also, youtube link for those that can't access the CNN player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=664f0INxNbM

quote:

gently caress you, you cock sucking son of a bitch, if you want to blame someone blame the gun control laws that disarmed people, blame the mentality we don't need a gun, well hell guess what someone other than the murderer needed a gun. Furthermore, if you took the crazy people off the street this wouldn't happen.

Oh youtube, never change. And yes that comment is addressed directly to the video.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Install Windows posted:

National mental health care can't do poo poo one for people who refuse to admit they have a problem to begin with. This wacko in California was not hurting for money to get mental health treatment if he had so chosen to do so.

The real hard part is ending the stigma surrounding mental illness. That stops people from getting help.
If you have cancer and get chemo, your job will accommodate you, and your friends will be very supportive.
If you have schizophrenia, even well controlled, you job, if it find out, will try to get rid of you, and your friends will talk about you as a crazy person. Why would you ever seek out help and risk being branded as such.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

nm posted:

The real hard part is ending the stigma surrounding mental illness. That stops people from getting help.
If you have cancer and get chemo, your job will accommodate you, and your friends will be very supportive.
If you have schizophrenia, even well controlled, you job, if it find out, will try to get rid of you, and your friends will talk about you as a crazy person. Why would you ever seek out help and risk being branded as such.

While I'm not saying this isn't true, didn't Elliot Rogers' family repeatedly try to get him to go to a therapist? So at the very least he had their support. I thought I read that somewhere.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SwingShift posted:

While I'm not saying this isn't true, didn't Elliot Rogers' family repeatedly try to get him to go to a therapist? So at the very least he had their support. I thought I read that somewhere.
Just because a few people are pushing you to get help doesn't overcome society's stigma.
He had access, but society was telling him that crazy people are bad so why would he need that?

That said, one of the major effects of major mental health conditions is not thinking you are crazy and a reluctance to get treatment or take meds.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 26, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nm posted:

Just because a few people are pushing you to get help doesn't overcome society's stigma.
He had access, but society was telling him that crazy people are bad.

If he cared about society's stigma he wouldn't be an avid gamer who wrote long screeds about World of Warcraft, among other things he was doing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

nm posted:

He had access, but society was telling him that crazy people are bad so why would he need that?

That said, one of the major effects of major mental health conditions is not thinking you are crazy and a reluctance to get treatment or take meds.

i also do not think he cared, and if he did not have access to guns maybe this would not have happened.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And now the MRAs are chiming in.
http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/86756671647/krudman-ken3h-replied-to
http://kateordie.tumblr.com/post/86841406992/jess-fink-posted-a-pretty-hard-hitting-piece

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

youtube person posted:

Furthermore, if you took the crazy people off the street this wouldn't happen.

I can think of at least one person I'd take off the streets.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i also do not think he cared, and if he did not have access to guns maybe this would not have happened.

The effects of a cultural stigma are not readily visible or obvious.

I'm not saying gun control isn't a factor, but we can have more than one element. It is too bad that the NRA and what not have turned mental health into a "everyone look over there" when a mass shooting occurs, but it truly is a crisis in the US.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Mr Interweb posted:

Possibly dumb question, but for everyone complaining about how Obama didn't know about the poo poo going on in the VA, and only found out cause of the media, isn't it also important to note that NOBODY else knew about this poo poo until it got reported? That includes all the Republicans in congress.
My understanding is that what Obama had said was that he heard about one of the particular instances of the VA doing some shady stuff through the media, and somehow people managed to be obtuse enough to misinterpret that as "Obongo thought everything was just hunky-dory with the VA until it was in the news!" Since he needs to know about, you know, the planet, it's not exactly shocking that some government bureaucrats at a local office got caught doing some shady stuff and the POTUS didn't know about it until it was in the news.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Kincannon

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

People looking for cover at a massacre="cowering like a bitch".

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Holy poo poo, how is it possible for Todd Kincannon to top himself?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He even managed to shoehorn in just a little thematic woman-hate icing with "like a bitch."

I mean, really.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

You're right, your kids aren't smart enough to get into UC Santa Barbara.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

quote:

gently caress you, you cock sucking son of a bitch, if you want to blame someone blame the gun control laws that disarmed people, blame the mentality we don't need a gun, well hell guess what someone other than the murderer needed a gun. Furthermore, if you took the crazy people off the street this wouldn't happen.
Oh youtube, never change. And yes that comment is addressed directly to the video.
I never really understood this "only gun-toting good guys will prevent mass shootings" sentiment. Apart from it being brought up and disproved in past gun control threads (i.e. only a tiny amount of shootings have been actually influenced by a civilian with a gun), I mean, just think about how dumb that is. Okay so some psycho starts popping off rounds in a shopping mall, and a bunch of bystanders have guns. You're nearby and after finding cover you draw your handgun. Before you can get a bead on the shooter, someone around the corner sees you with a gun, assumes you're the bad guy, and puts a bullet in you. Meanwhile, someone ELSE sees him put you down, then fires at him... etc. All the while the original shooter has moved out of the area and onto more victims. I just can't see a scenario where chaotic vigilante action is preferable to just making it harder to get guns in the first place.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:stare:

Jesus christ that is evil. There's a special place in hell for people like Kincannon.

Hazo posted:

I never really understood this "only gun-toting good guys will prevent mass shootings" sentiment. Apart from it being brought up and disproved in past gun control threads (i.e. only a tiny amount of shootings have been actually influenced by a civilian with a gun), I mean, just think about how dumb that is. Okay so some psycho starts popping off rounds in a shopping mall, and a bunch of bystanders have guns. You're nearby and after finding cover you draw your handgun. Before you can get a bead on the shooter, someone around the corner sees you with a gun, assumes you're the bad guy, and puts a bullet in you. Meanwhile, someone ELSE sees him put you down, then fires at him... etc. All the while the original shooter has moved out of the area and onto more victims. I just can't see a scenario where chaotic vigilante action is preferable to just making it harder to get guns in the first place.

It worked for Zimmerman.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 26, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The most hilarious example was the theater shooting in Colorado. So if more people were shooting in a dark theater, less people would get shot? Seriously? Unless the bystander with a gun was robocop, I'm not seeing it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sir Tonk posted:

:stare:

Jesus christ that is evil. There's a special place in hell for people like Kincannon.

Have a look at his twitter account now.. It's full of your mom comebacks and self congratulating for "totally owning those libtards"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hazo posted:

A couple of years ago a guy pulled a gun on two cops near the Empire State Building and started shooting. The cops drew and shot back. Nine bystanders were injured by police bullets. And this was a simple case (nutcase pulls gun, cops shoot him down) involving trained law enforcement officers. I can't wait until some concealed-carry state has an incident in a shopping mall where six freepers decide to play robocop when some goof starts shooting.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
It's also inherently wrong. I mean, every gun owner is a "good guy with a gun" right up until they actually start shooting people. It's the exact same sentiment as "Conservative cannot fail, it can only be failed."

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

I can't even summon up a bit of anger for these ratfuckers anymore. Maybe he'll get drunk and crash his car into a sycamore this year.
I swear if I were one of these guys, nothing would chill me to the bone more thoroughly than the possibility that there is in fact a judging and vengeful god.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Whiteycar posted:

Have a look at his twitter account now.. It's full of your mom comebacks and self congratulating for "totally owning those libtards"

Yeah, I read the wiki and remember his comments last year being picked up. I'd argue that he's worse the people like Hannity and Coulter, as he probably believes all the things he's putting out there.

FMguru posted:

I can't wait until some concealed-carry state has an incident in a shopping mall where six freepers decide to play robocop when some goof starts shooting.

You've read the freep thread, you should know that not a drat one of them would do anything other than hide behind a pillar (like a bitch, I guess).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

agarjogger posted:

I can't even summon up a bit of anger for these ratfuckers anymore. Maybe he'll get drunk and crash his car into a sycamore this year.
I swear if I were one of these guys, nothing would chill me to the bone more thoroughly than the possibility that there is in fact a judging and vengeful god.

Just remember that even if his son was there with a gun and decided to fire back there's a pretty good chance 1st responders would gun him down mistaking him as the primary shooter.

Just picture cops rolling up to a handgun battle. Unless the "return fire" shooter immediately dropped the weapon and assumed the "hands up position" the slightest motion would be taken as threatening and result in his getting shot 19 times.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
That guy and Kirk Schlichter are literally professional twitter trolls. I used to have him on my twitter feed and it would literally be 15 hours of constant tweeting at "libtards" using "Not uh! You are!" jokes. How these guys manage to professional lawyers/whatever when apparently all they do is respond to twitter posts is beyond me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

limeincoke posted:

That guy and Kirk Schlichter are literally professional twitter trolls. I used to have him on my twitter feed and it would literally be 15 hours of constant tweeting at "libtards" using "Not uh! You are!" jokes. How these guys manage to professional lawyers/whatever when apparently all they do is respond to twitter posts is beyond me.

I am surprised their law societies arent rewriting the rules of professional conduct. I'm sure they'd try to take it to the supreme court over free speech but professional societies have the right to impose such limitations on their members.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Scrolling down his twitter page is like slogging through knee-deep sewage.

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

What the actual gently caress. I decided to take the effort of going to view his twitter page, and it's full of poo poo just as bad as this. How the hell does this man have a job?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Is there anyone the right despises quite so much as a mass shooting victim?

Pattycakes posted:

What the actual gently caress. I decided to take the effort of going to view his twitter page, and it's full of poo poo just as bad as this. How the hell does this man have a job?

Well you live in a country in stark and obvious decline, and it's clawing its own eyes out looking for people to blame.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

Just remember that even if his son was there with a gun and decided to fire back there's a pretty good chance 1st responders would gun him down mistaking him as the primary shooter.
That's what I was trying to get someone to answer during the Chipotle fiasco. If I'm in chipotle, and a bunch of young, white, goony looking bastards come in with guns, can I stand my ground? If I can't, I literally can't repsond in a way that would prevent a mass shooting. Those guys looked like any one of the recent spree killers!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pattycakes posted:

He lives in South Carolina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In actual gunfights, don't like 90% of shots miss the target if they're more than 10 feet away?

EDIT: Found a couple experiments/studies regarding hit ratios in gunfights:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/stand-move-or-seek-coverwhat-works-in-a-gunfight
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/OIS.pdf

Unless the shooter is standing still, the chance of hitting him is far, far lower than missing. The question then is whether it's worth the confusion and hail of bullets to involve multiple gunmen.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 26, 2014